Start by marking “Ship the Kids on Ahead” as Want to Read:
Ship the Kids on Ahead

Ship the Kids on Ahead

We all have that one older funny family member. You know the one, he tells stories from his experiences and usually has people rolling in the eyes. Bill Stokes is that person! He presents a delightful collection of memories that are truly life lessons even today! Stokes, through his memories and wit provides opportunities to learn through laughter, sharing of memories and ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 246 pages
Published August 2016 by Paul Stokes

To ask other readers questions about Ship the Kids on Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ship the Kids on Ahead

Start your review of Ship the Kids on Ahead
Elizabeth
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, kindle
This book is a time capsule. Originally published in 1968 it has only now been made available electronically.

Bill Stokes, the author, was a journalist. I am sure he was responsible for more serious work but he also had the unenviable task of producing a light hearted filler column. Some feelgood journalism during a very scary time in history (look it up I'm reviewing not teaching).

What changes so quickly that you can write about it so often without repeating yourself? In Bill's case it was his w
Michael Hicks
Let me say at the outset that Ship the Kids on Ahead is not the typical sort of audiobook or reading material that I tend to gravitate toward, even in the realm of non-fiction. The time I’ve devoted to reading non-fiction as a whole is woefully inadequate, unfortunately, and tends to lean toward science-related topics or historical events rather than the slice-of-life minutia that Bill Stokes wrote about for the Wisconsin State Journal.

Happily, I found myself surprisingly entertained by Stokes v
Shelby
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books
SHIP THE KIDS ON AHEAD, By Bill Stokes is a humorous book with timeless vignettes of family life. Although there are record players and typewriters in it, the stories are funny and draw on family episodes that are intergenerational.

Stokes demonstrates his unique originality when he writes about the seasons. For instance, he describes the Month of March as: “It is the month when the car license expires, seven insurance payments come due all at once, and you get an orthodontic estimate on a kid wi
Elena Alvarez Dosil
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a compendium of pieces written by Bill Stokes for his column 'Stokes Pokes' during the 60's. The original was published in 1968 and it was revived this year again and released in digital format for Kindle and in audiobook format for audible. I am grateful to all those people who contributed to give life and a modern form to this piece of literature.

'Shipping the Kids on Ahead' is like traveling to the past. These are short storie
T.W. Brown
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to a simpler time. Granted, you might not think so as you journey through a world shared by Bill Stokes as he uses wit and humor to describe an era that is sadly almost forgotten.

Each one of these "columns" is delivered wonderfully and brought back memories of my childhood. This is something you should share with your children or even grandchildren. I can imagine that it will start a few engaging conversations versus the standard eyerolls you receive when recalling the days when you "wa
Jill
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story set in the sixties is a lighthearted look at family, fatherhood, and life in a small town. Some of the antics will trigger memories for readers who experience similar situations. The author arranged the short stories by month and highlight seasonal events. The gentle humor provides a pleasant escape from the reality of today’s headline news.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway randomly chose me to receive this book free from the publisher. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opin
Todd Oliver
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book and so much great talent in the narration. Most of the voices are very familiar to me, having listened to them in previous books. Did you ever sit around listening to your grandfather tell stories as a kid and later in life wished you could remember them all or wished someone would have wrote them down? This is exactly that! This is a great collection of short stories by Bill Stokes that are certainly funny and all very relatable! Each of the narrators do an excellent job bring ...more
BookLoversLife
I read to escape from the mundane so never read books like this as I've zero interest in "real" life, but seeing some of my friends loving this and seeing as the narrators are some of my favourite, I said I'd give it a go and boy was I glad I did!! I ended up sniggering and laughing out loud so many times, my husband asked what was I listening to.

This was first written in the 60's and it was fun reading what life was like back then!! The stories were all written by the author for a kind of ligh
WordsAPlenty audiobookreviewer
I had the pleasure of reading William Stokes “Ship the Kids.” A delightful collection of memories, wise assessments and downright funny and all too true life lessons!

The Pratter of Big Feet: “We don’t have to open doors for them anymore, but we have to close them. (Why is it that as soon as a kid learns how to open a door, he forgets how to close one?)”

Moms will appreciate this one from Don’t Go Near the Water:

“Within each age bracket, it was discovered that handwashing can be avoided by:

ONE—Flu
Leserling /Belana
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
This book was gifted to me a week ago. I had never heard of Bill Stokes, but a couple of the people involved in the book are familiar to me, and I was curious.

I spent an entertaining 3.5 hours listening to these wonderful stories. I can't remember the last time I sat laughing through an entire book. What incredibly funny stories. Exactly the right thing to brighten up a miserable, dark December day. Great choice of narrators, too, except for the female narrator.
She rushed through her lines as
Jen
Here is a collection of columns that were published in a newspaper over the course of a year. They're told month by month, so they're highly anecdotal. The author is someone who clearly grew up in the 1950's and 60's and his observations reflect that. So on the one hand it's very dated; on the other hand it is whimsical and funny.

The narrators here do a fabulous job. There is a full cast that is well-suited to this type of narration. Xe Sands does a lot of contemporary romance narration and tend
April
“This audiobook was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review via Audiobook Boom.”

I had shelved this as fiction on my Goodreads account, but I'm guessing there was a lot of non-fiction to the delightful short story collection. I found myself laughing out loud often.

The narration was well done.The characters were well portrayed.
Bill Stokes
AudioBookReviewer
Oct 03, 2016
Terri
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Father's Sarcasm to Brighten Your Day (Audiobook)

I very rarely read Personal Memoir books nowadays but I won this in a book group contest and having heard so many fabulous comments about it from others, I had to take it out for a listen. I giggled and laughed my way through Bill Stoke’s parental challenges and many of the stories reminded me of growing up with my dad and grandfather.

I originally was only going to listen to a few at a time but I ended up getting totally addicted and listened t
Victoria
Regina Scarborough
Oct 15, 2016
Sandy Adams
May 01, 2017
Born in Barron, Wisconsin, on September 11, 1931, Bill Stokes grew up on a small dairy farm between Barron and Rice Lake. He began his official writing career as an outdoor writer and general reporter for the Stevens Point Daily Journal, where he served as columnist, reporter and outdoor writer. In 1961 he moved to the Wisconsin State Journal, in Madison, where he wrote outdoor and personal column ...more