Start by marking “Persuasion: A story of love and romance, The last novel written by Jane Austen (Annotated)” as Want to Read:

When Anne Elliot is twenty-years-old, she is persuaded by friends and family to reject the marriage proposal from Frederick Wentworth due to his lack of fortune and rank. Such a match is considered unsuitable. However, seven years later, he returns from the Navy, having made a fortune and good name for himself. Anne has never married and still has feelings for him, but he ...more
Published August 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Persuasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Persuasion

Start your review of Persuasion: A story of love and romance, The last novel written by Jane Austen (Annotated)
Kirk
4/17 1st time reading The Harvard Press Annotated Persuasion. Pretty good...vastly superior to their MP(the annotations were
thin gruel in my view).
QNPoohBear
A wonderful annotated edition of my favorite Austen novel. This book is filled with notations in the margins gathered from various literary critics. It also contains full-color images showing Austen's world, illustrating scenes from the story, other books/pamphlets and items of note mentioned in the novel. This book is worth looking at for any devoted Janeite.
Laurel
Last year, the good folks at the Harvard University Press presented the first installment in their commitment to annotate all six of Jane Austens major novels. Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition, by Jane Austen and edited by Patricia Meyer Spacks set the standard for the series: an unabridged first edition text, annotations by an Austen scholar, full color illustrations, over-sized coffee table format (9.5 X 10), extensive scholarly introduction, and supplemental material all pulled ...more
Susan
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"My idea of good company, Mr. Elliot, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company." "You are mistaken," said he gently, " that is not good company, that is the best."

Meredith
Anne Elliott crosses paths with her old love Captain Frederick Wentworth whom her family had dissuaded her from marrying several years earlier and who, having made his fortune, is now in search of a wife.

"All the privilege I claim for my own sex ... is that of loving longest when existence or when hope is gone!

This novel takes a more mature look at love and marriage than some of Jane Austen's other works. It's about second chances and enduring affection. The type of love celebrated in this book
Mary Lou
I can't give "Persuasion" the high marks merited by "Pride & Prejudice" or, my personal favorite, "Sense & Sensibility". The plot moves slowly, the romance is too subtle even by 19th century standards -- though I give Jane credit for keeping our attention despite the fact that our lovers barely speak to one another throughout the story. "Persuasion" cries out for a prologue that allows the reader to witness Anne and Wentworth's early romance and separation so that we can more fully ...more
Anna Groover
Boy oh boy, did I not appreciate Persuasion enough when I read it for the first time a few years ago. I whipped through it way too fast, not stopping at all to appreciate what's beautiful about it: the hope and agony of second chances and the reconciliation of Anne Elliot and Fredrick Wentworth played out in glances, body language, and overheard conversations.

Both characters are lovely in their own way; I love when Anne and Captain Harville have a debate about the constancy of men and women and
Fei Fei
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-classics
Fantastically detailed annotations that will delight and enrich the experience of any reader, let alone an Austen fan. This annotated edition contains meticulous details of historical background, geographical clarifications, notations of references to contemporary events/places/figures (and esp. of literary references that would have been perfectly understood by contemporary readers but would have escaped modern readers), visual clarifications in artwork, and excerpts of academic dissertations ...more
Anna
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Jan 2017 Proud Readers group
re-read Jan 2017 for Proud Readers group
Persuasion: An Annotated Edition
Published 2011 by Harvard University Press
Brian Willis
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is entirely possible that this final novel might be Austen's greatest accomplishment. While that might be an arguable opinion, few would argue that with this most impassioned and internal of her narratives Austen provokes the deepest emotional impact within her readers.

This is a novel of the Napoleonic Wars. Written just after Waterloo, Austen is documenting the impact of a long and nationalistic defense of the British Isles against French expansionism. Now, the captains and the admirals
Krystal
Honestly, my favorite Austen novel. Someone once said every woman wanted to be Elizabeth Bennet but they were really always going to be Anne Elliot and I see no problem with this. I like to think this might be Austen looking at how her ill-fated love affair might have ended if she'd ever been given a second chance. Austen's writing though is never better than here.

The annotations in this edition are fabulous; they give the reader so much more understanding into the context of the story Austen is
Veronica Ibarra
I love the story of Persuasion. Some say that it still clearly stands as an unpolished draft, as it was published posthumously, and perhaps that is so. However, it is still a story which resonates. Dreams do not die, though we become older and sometimes wiser with the experience of time. Such is the case with Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. Time has passed and circumstances have changed since their youth, but love has remained if only they can find their way to see it.

I particularly loved
Chelsea
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Robert Morrison has done excellent work in this Annotated Edition of Persuasion. The notations include descriptions of the specific work status of the men in the navy; helpful conversion information for currency; quotations from a variety of works, ranging from Austen's contemporaries to present-day authors; information taken from Austen's personal life; and various illustrations and maps.

Also included is a transcription of the two original and unedited final chapters of Persuasion (which were
Pamela Mingle
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This year, 2018, is the 200th anniversary of Austen's PERSUASION. My JASNA group was scheduled to discuss it in August, and I chose this annotated edition from the Belknap Press to re-read the novel. It's beautifully illustrated, and I learned so much from the annotations, by editor Robert Morrison.

The annotations included information about Austen's life, her naval brothers, the British Navy during the Regency, the various settings), the characters, the language, and more. Everything you would
Hannah • So Obsessed With
Is there a more romantic moment in Austens novels than Wentworths letter to Anne at the end of of this one? And what is there to say about Persuasion that hasnt been said before? I adore all of Austens novels, but this is probably my second favorite after Pride and Prejudice. It all works for me: the characters, the emotion, the uncertainty, the ending. I could go on! Its a slower, quieter story, but I love how Austen gives us such an introspective heroine. And this book is probably why Ill ...more
AlegnaB †
Aaaahhh! The letter. I'm so glad that J.A. rewrote the ending to Persuasion. If she hadn't, we wouldn't have the letter. This edition includes the original ending. It also contains a short biography of J.A. written by her brother Henry, in which she was made out to be virtually perfect; it was rather amusing to read.

I enjoyed reading this annotated edition, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the The Annotated Persuasion. This edition includes a lot of information about other writings and
Bjipson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I always love re-reading Austen, the annotations in this volume were distracting rather than clarifying to me. Some gave the meaning of terms that I did not need defined, some brought in commentary from other scholars on points that seemed tangential at best, and too many were explaining various modes of transportation. I see now why my students were less than happy with the annotated Pride and Prejudice I assigned them, even though they were not required to read the annotations. I thought ...more
Cecilia
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Believe it or not, this was the first time I read this title by Jane Austen. The Annoted Edition had historical notes, maps, paintings, and literary commentary (often at odds opinion-wise). The reader gets a feel for what Austen most likely was reading and what was happening in her family circle: she had several brothers who were serving in the British navy during the Napoleonic wars. Reading "Persuasion" in an annotated edition gave me a better feel for the times Austen lived in, and the
Sarah Denis
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, romance, funny
I was here for the crush and the romance feelings that I am a sucker for but I did not expect the hilarious jabs at the class and status obsessed people. Anne's longing for Wentworth was spun out like cotton candy complete with the pain of watching someone you desire who doesn't notice you. Then they have sparks fly and the tension from that is exquisite.

The notes were extremely helpful and I appreciated the pictures.
alizabeth
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annotated Austen should be a required for the first time you read an Austen novel. Her writing isn't too hard to decipher but there are several literary and historical references that would be lost in terms of understanding it's context without the annotation. Liked it immensely! This is probably my favorite Austen novel.
Theresa
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might make the 9th time I've read this book. I have never really read an annotated Jane Austen before, and I have to say I enjoyed it. Probably because I've read the book so many times that I was less inclined to view the notes as distracting. Still find myself getting stressed out about the ending, even though (and here's a real shocker!) it never changes.
Jennae
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that I enjoyed this book, because I relate so well with Anne. At times I enjoyed the annotation and other times I just ignored because to read it all distracted from the flow of the story too much. It would be better if I had read it before.
Melody
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, classics
This annotated edition was beautifully done. It added to the reading experience for me, making me want to reread more classics this way. I wish there was a Sense & Sensibility edition! Wonderful quality production, nicely written notes, and beautiful pictures.
Monique
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is now my favorite Jane Austen novel. The central character is much more mature than the other Austen protagonists, and so is much more perceptive to the feelings and thoughts of others.
Kathleen Oles
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I've read this book many times because I love it! Fun to read the annotations. A bit cumbersome due to its size, it's a fun way to read the book in context to the time it was written.
Autumn
My favourite novel all all time, made even more enjoyable in this annotated version.
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book anyway - this had portraits and asides from Austen's letters to her siblings and some background of her family. Lovely!
Jacquelyn
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. So great to read a more mature Austen novel, but sad that her amazing career was cut so short.
C.tobojka
I enjoyed the annotations with their extra tidbits of information. Having the background to the different aspects of the book enhances the enjoyment of the reading experience.
Sara
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Read for the 10th (?) time. Gets better with re-reading. Read the first ending which she changed. A rare glimpse at her process. Can't imagine this without the letter-writing scene.
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed