Start by marking “Starworld” as Want to Read:
Starworld

Starworld

Sam Jones and Zoe Miller have one thing in common: they both want an escape from reality. Loner Sam flies under the radar at school and walks on eggshells at home to manage her mom’s obsessive-compulsive disorder, wondering how she can ever leave to pursue her dream of studying aerospace engineering. Popular, people-pleasing Zoe puts up walls so no one can see her true ...more
Published April 16th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Starworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starworld

Start your review of Starworld
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this book from start to finish in just over 3 hours because I got so sucked into the story. I feel like I have whiplash review to come later when I’ve had more time to actually process what I read! ...more
Adriana
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, queer-lit, ownvoices
4.5/5 Stars

This story is hopeful, bittersweet, hard-hitting, and affirming all at once. The friendship betweeen Zoe and Sam leaves my heart soaring

Also, this book contains:
queer rep (note: this is not an f/f romance)
mental health rep (OCD & anxiety)
adoption rep
developmental disability rep

(And it was all handled extremely carefully, IMO, which I appreciate.)
C.G. Drews
I'm still processing how I feel about this one but it's mostly . It is such a heartfelt story and honestly my soul was a wreck about 50pgs in. It's soft and quiet, it's slow and thoughtful, it's about problematic family dynamics and love and deeply intimate friendship. The themes will just break you. And the ending, oh yeah wow. The ending has left me really sad.

| ZOE & SAM |
I loved them bothhhhh. They're so different and yet they clicked so fiercely, so wondrously.
Sam: She's like the
megs_bookrack
Just received my copy.
This book is legit gorgeous!

The ombre blue to purple...

I cannot wait to jump into this one.
Take me to Starworld!
Kylie Amber
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
* I was sent an ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *
The ending fell flat because what was being worked up to flopped and didn’t happen.
Kristy
Despite running in very different circles in school, Sam Jones and Zoe Miller have more in common than they think: they both want to escape the difficulty that is their home lives. Sam is a quiet loner, content to spend Sundays with her best friend, Will. She loves the stars, but isn't sure she'll ever be able to study them, thanks to her mom, whose life is ruled by obsessive compulsive disorder. Ever since her Dad moved overseas, the burden of caring for her Mom falls squarely on Sam. ...more
Catherine ♡
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
*Thank you to both NetGalley and LibraryThing for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!*

Actual Rating: 2.5

Hm. I’ve got mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I absolutely LOVE the premise and the idea of all the characters. On the other hand, actually reading the book was a lot less enjoyable for a number of reasons.

First though, a blurb. Starworld is written in two main perspectives. There’s Sam Jones, who lives an invisible life at school and relies on her one and only
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book wasn't bad, but it didn't really live up to my expectations.

I was so ready for this to be all about a girl obsessed with outer space!! And like, it was, but also it was really more just a standard contemporary but with less romance and not much outer space in it at all.

The concept was really good though, and quite unique which I enjoyed.

The characters were okay, but neither of them felt super unique? Which I was especially surprised by, because there were two different authors I
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Starworldis a sweet book, told from the points of view of Sam and Zoe. (And incidentally, written by two authors whose work I rather enjoy.) There were definitely wins for me, with a few reservations, so I am just going to break it down as such!

The Wins:

•Holy emphasis on family!This is beautiful, frankly. The times I felt the most emotion while reading is while these two young women
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Starworld was really cute dammit. Yet, it somehow made me feel disappointed in how it ended? Not quite sure what the whole plan was here but damn, it just fell completely flat. I was underwhelmed and I'm not okay with this.

In this book, you will meet Sam and Zoe. I honestly really enjoyed their characters and was amazed with how two writers made everything flow nicely throughout the book. These two just sort of clicked with
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
*loves this book so much* :D :D :D
Lindsey (Bring My Books)
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Talk about being completely blown away by a book that you expected to be a nostalgic whimsy read! Y'all, this book was EPIC and I LOVED it. I loved the synopsis and have a particular weakness for a dual POV book with two authors that each write one of the characters, so this was one I was really looking forward to and it did not disappoint.

The basic story is that two girls from opposite ends of the social spectrum end up involved in each other's life, and it quickly becomes a profound
☼Shannon☼
*is wondering why she thought this was going to be a lesbian romance*

*is thinking about Zoe possibly being asexual*

Zoe doesn't think about sex or how attractive she finds somebody while talking about how much she loves romance. That's what allosexual people do, right? I might be reading into it though.

*is wondering why she didn't see the thing coming*

*is thinking about Zoe being adopted and her feelings about it*

My dad was adopted and never wanted to meet his birth parents. I understand that its
Erin
What an adorable story.

Starworld is the first novel I’ve read by either author, and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it much more than I though I would.

The fantastical elements of ‘Starworld’ as designed by Sam and Zoe were outstanding. And the care and sensitivity with which each of their family’s issues were covered was masterful. The authors were clearly well-researched and informed.

The relationship between Zoe and Sam was also beautiful. With some people you just click,
Emily (emilykatereads)
Well, looks like 2019 will be the year I don't waste time on books I'm not enjoying.

I DNF'd this one at page 102. Although, I did skip to the end and read most of the last 50ish pages so get the idea of where everything went. And yknow what, I'm totally fine that I gave up on this one. This is one I requested because I loved another book I read by Audrey Coulthurst, and I saw that this one looked sapphic... and well, It didn't pull through the way I'd hope. I'd say this definitely features a
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 23%. I just couldn't get into this book at all. I think it will have a very specific audience that will love it, but I am not that audience. I found it kind of depressing and quirky and other than the very pretty cover, I don't really have anything positive to say about it and I really couldn't make myself read anymore. I found Sam incredibly off-putting. I found the writing in her chapters especially were just not my style.
Honora Quinn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
I got this book as an arc and did not know what to expect
wowie
I got really into this book until it depressed me like a truck to the face.
I enjoyed the characters and Sam and Zoe were so amazing but the ending just killed me.
A lot of it killed me
the premise over all was so cute and sweet and friendshipy that I fell in love but it also broke my heart at the end. I know this is a stand alone but it left me with a want for more of the starworld created. Thinking back I enjoyed it and it
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
Sapphicathon: Read a book with a cover you love & Read a book where the romance isn't the focus

storytime: i was robbed of the 2 days it took me to read this
Brooklyn Tayla
Blue
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest the cover is pretty but overall I am not too sure about this book. I kind of feel as though I’m stuck between deciding if I like it, or if it wasn’t interesting at all.
I think the premise of this story was good but at the same time this was really overdone. Let’s think of all the issues one person can have and let’s double it and give it to these two characters. It gave it an unrealistic feel and it carried on through the plot of the story as well.
The pace of the story was really
Rahma Abdelrahman
2.5 stars.

My main problem with this one was that the two characters seemed too similar that I kept forgetting who’s who, who has a brother, whose mother had cancer, etc. It hindered my enjoyment too much to give this book a higher rating.

Also, the Starworld bits were too cliche. And when that’s the main thing the book is about, it’s difficult to turn a blind eye.

But overall, I’m glad I returned and finished this book seven months after starting it
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Walker Books for providing me with a copy of Starworld, in exchange for an honest review.

Starworld was such an emotional read, and it left me feeling quite sad at the end. I think that made me like it even more though. So often things are wrapped up in a nice happy ending and that's usually so far from real life that it feels fake.

Both Sam and Zoe are living lives they're struggling with, and don't feel like they can talk to other people about. It's hard enough for Sam just
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Review to come.
Chelsea Marie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, fiction, ya, lgbt, arc
If you read the description of this book and get all excited by the potential lady loving lady vibe, do not pick up this book. I feel like I've been queer-baited into reading this, and it made me super angry.

(view spoiler)
Kait Goodwin ★Kait Plus Books★
*hopes you enjoy this book as much as I did*

Full review to come at kaitgoodwin.com/books!
Carmen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, glbt
Starworld by Audrey Coulthurst, Paula Garner

I received a copy from Candlewick Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sam Jones is a loner intent on staying invisible and hiding her feelings. Referring to herself as a robot, she’s content with flying under the radar until she graduates and escapes her home life. Everything changes when she’s noticed by one of the popular girls at her school, Zoe Miller. On the surface, Zoe is perfect and has her life together. Sam can’t fathom
Tomes And Textiles
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
“I can’t say I understand life’s random twists and turns, or what meaning to ascribe to them, if any, but I will always be thankful for the detour that brought you to me. You will always have a place in my heart.” –Starworld, Audrey Coulthurst & Paula Garner

Sam and Zoe live in very different worlds. Told through both their points of view, Sam is an artistic introvert who finds it difficult to deal with socializing and Zoe is the girl who seemingly has it all. When Zoe asks Sam for a favor,
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book, from the amazing team at Walker Books Australia, in exchange for an honest review.

I found this book quite slow to start, but woah, am I glad I stuck with it. There are no shortage of strong women in this book and I love it.
The characters are deep and complex, each with their own demons, each fighting an invisible war within themselves and this book lets us look closer at some of those wars.

This book tackles subjects such as OCD, Cancer, Sexuality, Pregnancy Loss,
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Sam, the school outcast, suffers under the rigidity of her mom’s OCD. Pretty, popular Zoe struggles with her mom’s cancer, her severely disabled brother’s violence and her feelings of abandonment from her adoption. The two grow close through fantasy texts they call STARWORLD.

Paula Garner and Audrey Coulthurst teamed up, each writing a different POV, to write STARWORLD. Zoe and Sam were well-developed and easy to champion. Both girls were parentified, Sam due to her mother’s mental illness and
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Lost Coast
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Going Off Script
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • All the Worlds Between Us (All the Worlds Between Us, #1)
  • How to Be Luminous
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • All Eyes on Us
  • I Am Change
  • Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
  • The Grief Keeper
  • The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • How It Feels to Float
Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. Her debut novel, Of Fire and Stars, was published on November 22, 2016 by Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. When she’s not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse.

Audrey has a Master’s in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI,