Start by marking “Mama Can't Raise No Man” as Want to Read:

Mama Can't Raise No Man

A thought provoking, intelligent and at times laugh-out-laugh funny debut novel exploring black masculinity in today's society. From the author of Prisoner to the Streets.
Published August 24th 2016 by OWN IT!

To ask other readers questions about Mama Can't Raise No Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Can't Raise No Man

Sukai Ceesay
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I don't know what to say. Ends with a jaw dropping twist. It is such a easy read and it grips you from the start. I found myself laughing throughout the book (volunteer lollipop man) but i also found my self for once siding with the young black man. Thats the beauty of this book. The author gave me insight into different worlds. I hope the author realises it wasn't words he put into a book but someone's reality. That right there is a gift. Mama Can't Raise No Man by Robyn Travis It's so good i felt it deserved my 1st goodread re ...more
Joanna
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Slow start, but stick with it, there are moments in the latter half of the book that really make you reflect.
Hannahtime
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The only time a man’s meant to turn his back on his child is when he’s giving them a piggy back .”

A unique take on black masculinity through a format of letters . The main character’s story was overwhelming however his uncle brought humour . I had to remind myself this was fiction as the issues explored through the story are very real .

I’m definitely keen to read Robyn’s Travis’ first book,Prisoner to the street .
Imjussayin
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mama Can't Raise No Man

In A Nutshell: Duane, a young black man is sentenced to his third term in prison. And that gives him time to reflect on his life and the reader insight into black masculinity, street life, and gang culture. It's enlightening, sad and life-affirming. The exaggeration in places does not make the story any less compelling.

The Plot: Duane Ricketts has taken the fall for a crime he did not commit this time, but his 'Younger' did. But it's the code of the road not to tell. His s
Jim From YAYeahYeah
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking debut novel told in letters between a young Black man in prison and his friends and family (with a few court transcripts.) The voice of every character is stunning, while the book is an entertaining, sometimes heartbreaking, and always deeply thought-provoking story of Black masculinity, injustice, life in prison and on the streets, and of being the child of a single mother. It builds to an incredible climax - a truly superb read.
Nic
An interesting representation of masculinity, especially that of a fatherless child living on the road in London.

I am so incredibly excited to be going to a talk from Travis this month after finishing the book and I cannot wait to read his other book and anything else her writes.
Rachel Jackson
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Very well written. Fresh format and voice that brought a story I felt I hadn't seen from this particular angle. Adept rendering of black male perspective as it relates to incarcerations, familial bonds, and responsibility. Would love to read more by this author
Amy Ashenden
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read, the characters have still stayed with me. It felt very real - I highly recommend this!
Lisa
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read.
This is a powerful story, the ending changed the game.
Tray
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What amazing read, highly recommended as it was deep, emotional and invigorating. I didn't want to put the book down.
Aimee
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is powerful and perception-changing, the kind of book that will stay with you long after you have finished reading it.
I am amazed that the author managed to convey such a deep and emotive story through letters and transcripts alone; this could have made the narrative bland but instead it painted a picture so vivid that I began to feel like each character was a friend, someone I knew intimately. Each character had depth and changed subtly as the story progressed but without losing the e
Vanessa Lewis
Jun 23, 2018
Cece Alex
Nov 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Robyn is author of Prisoner to the Streets which had a huge impact on publication and garnered much interest across a wide readership. The book launched to a packed out Hackney Empire and quickly sold out. Robyn is a passionate speaker and advocate for young people and regularly uses his own life experiences to try and teach, educate, and inspire younger generations.