Start by marking “The Little Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Little Ghost

The Little Ghost

A little ghost who always wanted to see the town by daylight creates chaos when he does, and finds himself unable to be a night ghost again.
Published September 1st 2001 by Thienemann Verlag (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Ghost

Start your review of The Little Ghost
Manybooks
Das Kleine Gespenst -- Original German Text

Although creepy stories with dangerous and vengeful spirits have never been all that much to my reading tastes (and in fact often tend to rather frighten me), Otfried Preußler's 1966 Das kleine Gespenst (The Little Ghost in its English translation by the late Anthea Bell) is for all intents and purposes not at all the former, not in any manner morbid or gruesome but simply a fun and engaging tale of a diminutive and lovable castle ghost who gets a bit
Matt
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: look-out-kid

Hu-huiiiii!" rief es laut und gellend. „Hu-huiiiiii!"

A charming book with lovely illustrations that every child (and we're all children, aren't we?) should have read at least once.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

leynes
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Little Ghost is a children's book, written by Otfried Preußler in 1966 with illustrations from Franz Josef Tripp. It was published by Thielemann publisher and was translated to 44 languages. It is one of the most famous books of the German children and youth literature. This is pure nostalgia for me. One of my favorites from childhood!
Diane
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
What a wonderful story! It is deserving of its place in the German canon of children’s books. ThT said, I did figure out what had gone wrong, why the night-ghost was a day-ghost, but that hardly matters. The book is quite funny and never scary or creepy, so quite good for any child that can maintain concentration for at least several pages at a time.

Enthusiastic thumbs up from my 8 year old son.
Neri.
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very fun and entertaining book not only for kids but for adults also.
^-^ Lucy
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is a cute story about why a ghost can not get out when it is morning.
thefatflatcat
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.0

I enjoyed this one immensely as a child and it still is a really nice story to read as an adult. Very funny, that little ghost :)
Tamara Zann
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many times as a kid and it is as cute as I remember it. This book has stood the test of time.
Mel Black
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
German children's literature classic. a cute little ghost on an adventure
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Cute story about a ghost who accidentally becomes a daytime-haunting ghost and his efforts to return to night-haunting.
Bec
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A charming little tale about friendship and misunderstanding, and ultimately one of life's biggest questions: is the grass greener on the other side?
K McG
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I wanted to revisit this with my kids because I remember liking it as a 9-year old in the 80s. It’s about a ghost who lives in a German castle and, for reasons which become clear at the end of the book, temporarily becomes a day-time ghost and starts to cause disruption in the local town.

Cute story with some charm; but now so difficult to ignore and move beyond the awkward concept of a (nice, happy) white ghost becoming a mischievous (and miserable) black ghost who craves to return to his
Andrius Sustickas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember this book from my childhood, but then for some reason, I never tried to read it. After many years I have found the book again, but this time I read it and I regret that this is not done in childhood, because it is really a beautiful book. I would recommend it to everyone.

P.S. I really liked the old style B&W illustrations as well.
Jelka
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Such a cute story with great illustrations.
I want those magic keys too. :)
Discoverylover
I enjoyed this short book about the Little Ghost! Perfect airport reading. About the right length to read while waiting for boarding and not wanting to buy anything!
Dini
Nov 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read the Indonesian translation when I was younger. This is a children's book about a little ghost who is as white as snow, much like Casper. He lives -- or unlives -- happily in a town until one day he wakes up at day instead of night. And how different is the world in daylight! The gentle moonbeam is replaced by a scorching sunlight, which befalls on the little ghost and turns him black. And I tell you, a black Casper-like ghost ain't pretty. The townspeople seem to think the same because ...more
Crystal
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I wanted something to read on the train from Germany to Brussels and I wanted it to be something written by a European but translated o English so I could read it. I loved the illustrations - line drWings. The houses in the village look just like those we saw in Amsterdam.

The ghost is mischievous, but not truly mean and gets into many escapades that would make children giggle. It was a very fun book. I wish they didn't use one phrase - and this may be the translator,
Riadiani Marcelita
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Just like The Little Witch, "The Little Ghost" is a book I have read in my childhood. It is about a ghost who is unhappy with his life, because he is bored with the way things are. Then one day he wakes up during the day instead of during the night, and this leads him into a whole new adventure. He is chased around town by the townspeople, and now he has to find a way to get himself back to his home with the help of a couple of children.

The little ghost is very much like Casper: he's white, and
Bethany
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is one of my favourite's from when I was small. I remember floating along with the ghost and getting into trouble alongside him, it must have been one of the first books I remember reading after The Phantom TollBooth. I would recommend this book for anyone who has children aged 7 ish and i would recommend reading it together, because it's such a cute story :) I love it, very fond memories.
Novita Desiasni
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I found the Indonesian translation of this book years ago in a book bazaar. The cover of the book didn't attract me so much as a kid, especially one who's worried about ghost-themed stories. Turned out it was so amusing! The story was mostly funny that you'll almost forget the fact that he's supposed to be a scary ghost. Highly recommended for kids, but it's also great for adults who want to get a glimpse of the happy childhood memories.
Elizabeth
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A cute children's book translated from German about a little ghost who learns that one should always be careful what they wish for. Large text accompanied with lovely illustrations. The one downfall was the book's weird emphasis on how good it is to be white and how awful it is to be black. Probably was totally innocent and means nothing but it was definitely laughably racist whether intentional or not.
The Twins
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Otfried Preussler was one of my favourite authors when I was a child. I'm so excited that they translated his books into English so I can read them to my children. There is nothing more special than if you can share something that was dear to you as a child over 35 years later with your own children and they get as much joy out of it as you did.
Tyas
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another big favourite of mine. I've read the book so many times, and I still keep the original copy that I first read when I was such a little kid, although the newer edition has been published a couple of years ago by Gramedia.

Very entertaining. And the little Ghost is cute!
Tamara Zann
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite books as a child. It's one of the first I can recall reading on my own. Having re-read it for the first time in probably 12 years I see that I had good taste as a child. It's a sweet book and Preußler is an engaging writer. I do remember it a little longer though.
Eryne Miganet
I liked it quite well, although it goes on for a bit without action there and the end seems a little forced as it was... oh well. Took me only about an hour to read it, so it's quite a short, albeit enjoyable read~
What I loved in particular was the colour-changing aspect of the little ghost... :_D
Docorangutan
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book delighted me when I was a child. I re-read it until it was tattered and worn.
Antonia
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't believe it's been almost 50 years since this was published...
One of my favorite books when I was a child! If I ever have any kids, I'm gonna read it to them as well :)
Carmen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book as a child!
Lee
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dreamday
I remember reading this book alone in library near my house; and since then, I never forget to re-read it again every time I go to that library. Sweet and entertaining :)
Carole
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I remember it so clearly!

• Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • The Little Vampire
  • Urmel aus dem Eis (Urmel, #1)
  • Das fliegende Klassenzimmer
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • Am Samstag kam das Sams zurück (Sams, #2)
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Ferien auf Saltkrokan
  • Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #1)
  • Pancakes for Findus
  • The Night of Wishes
Otfried Preußler (sometimes spelled as Otfried Preussler) was a German children's books author. His best-known works are The Robber Hotzenplotz and The Satanic Mill (Krabat).

He won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 1972 for Krabat.
He has sold roughly 50 million copies worldwide.

He was born in Liberec (German: Reichenberg), Czechoslovakia. His forefathers had lived in this area since the 15th