Start by marking “Second Touch (A.D. Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Touch (A.D. Chronicles, #2)

Second Touch (A.D. Chronicles #2)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  1,701 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Be transported once again to the dark and tumultuous times of first-century Jerusalem. Return to the story of Peniel, the no-longer-blind beggar who still longs for the connection of home and famil
Published March 1st 2004 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Second Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Touch

Amanda
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book in the series. "Everything means something," you read over and over again, and in this book, you learn how the original language of the Bible has deeper meaning that we miss out on through reading a translation. Over and over the parallels between events in the Old Testament and the New Testament/life of Jesus are pointed out, to show that everything in the Bible truly does point to the only One who matters--Jesus.
Austin
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barely qualifies as a 2 star. Almost a 1. Vintage Thoene as far as I can tell. I have all the same complaints about this book as I do of almost all other books in the Christian fiction genre--lame, overly sentimental, lacks depth and gravity, drags out the conflict for too long, is far too predictable, and the characters are not really believable. Did not inspire me to read any more Thoene. Not even the sequel.
Nikki
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything God allows into the world has a purpose.

Each Theone parable challenges the reader to approach bible knowledge from a different perspective. This time around they addressed the scourge of leprosy and its purpose. Leprosy is a physical representation of spiritual decay.
Jessica
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying the series! I cannot wait to start the next one!
Amanda
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leprosy sounds like a terrible disease. To be stricken with a disease that slowly (well...or quickly sometimes) eats away at your body with nothing to stop it would be debilitating. If it were me - I'd have to motivation to live.

During the first century lepers were outcasts. They were shunned from society. No one had anything to do with them - no one talked to them or treated them like normal people, let alone touched them seeing as the disease was communicable. Lily and Cantor were 2 such leper
Jeni Enjaian
**Update** I stand by this review. This book survives round two of the purge of my personal collection.

I really liked these books the first time I read them. The second time through they all seem a bit more on the average side. As usual, the Thoenes are master storytellers. The complexity yet comprehensibility of their narratives is pretty amazing. However, sometimes I think they try a little too hard. It's in this book that they first introduce what will become a staple of this entire series, t
Dyana
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this biblically based historical fiction concentrating on what is known from the Bible with the gaps filled in. #2 in the series focuses on a colony of lepers living in the Valley of Mak'ob - a community of lepers - outcasts. They have heard about Yeshua and his miracles and are praying he will come, touch, and heal them. Figuring he won't come because they are unclean, they appoint 10 people to go out and find him and ask him to come and heal them. Lily and friends, Cantor, Deb ...more
Janelle
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a powerful book! As you would probably know, I love historical fiction, but I especially loved this book as it was biblically based. A really well written book that had you fully in touch with the characters and living their life, feeling their pain etc. It was actually quite a hard book to read in light of the leprosy described in the pages. The writers really delved deeply into how a leper is treated and hardest of all, how it affects someone physically. I always knew that leprosy wo ...more
Lois
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the A. D. Chronicles by the husband/wife authors the Thoenes. I anticipate a several year project of reading all the forty-plus novels they have written! This one is about a leper colony and the people of Jesus' day who were stricken with leprosy. Like the first book in the series (First Light) the Thoenes weave multiple plot layers throughout the book. In this one, Peniel appeared from the first novel as a healed blind man. The flawed, maimed and sick characters who m ...more
Jill
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story centered around a leper colony and the life that they lived in ancient Israel. The main character, Lily, is cast off from her family at a young age and forced to live among the "unclean" lepers. Simon the Pharisee is contrasted with Lily: his heart is leprous, his flesh is clean and whole; her body is leprous, her soul is compassionate and merciful. I had never considered how deeply painful it would be to live with this condition, nor how hard it would be for a mother to have to push ...more
Todd Coburn
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire AD Chronicles series, starting with book 1, is some of the best writing I've encountered, both in the spiritual and secular realms. Bodie's insights into Scripture are consistently deep, often deeper than what I have seen from many pastors and teachers of God's Word. The fictional details that she creates to flesh out the details of the story not recorded in Scripture seem insightful and accurate to a surprising degree. I highly recommend this book and series as the pinnacle of Bodie ...more
Josiah
2nd in the AD Chronicles series, the concept is interesting and potentially insightful.

I've counted a few historical/Scriptural errors, though they're fairly small. And there is NO CONSISTANCY with picking spelling for foreign names (I'm a linguist, so this is a constant distraction from narrative flow)! The writing is over-the-top at times, conveying more emotions than realistic, and not enough at other times.

Otherwise, the story concept is great: personalize the Gospels about Jesus using inf
Kori
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I love these authors, but I just struggled to get through this book. Also, I prefer to listen to scripture accounts in the KJV of the bible, not the version many mainstream Christian religions use today. It just doesn't sound right listening to Jesus preach in every day language instead of biblical language. To me, it makes it less scriptural (I guess that's how to describe it?) But, aside from that, the story just wasn't gripping enough to make me want to come back constantly and read ...more
Becky
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first one in the series--maybe because there are more fictional characters rather than named people in the New Testament like Mary Magdalene who is portrayed as a repentant harlot and less political intrigue between the Romans and Herod. This one mainly follows some lepers who strive to find Jesus to be healed. My mom loves the whole series! I don't LOVE them but I don't hate them either.
Gayle
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most heart rending books I have read in a long time but is so interesting and edifying. This is the second in the A D Chronicles about the time and people when Christ was mortal. This story centers around a blind begger boy with others who is seeking Christ and a village of lepers who have hope that the Messiah will heal them. It is so moving to know these people are like you and me but with a terrible disease that turns them into outcasts. Lily is amazing.
Suzanne
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was wonderful. To see the lepers (and learn so much about this disease - and how it represents our hearts, and why it was mentioned so often in the O.T.) and the way they carried on their lives after being shunned and banished by everyone in their communities and families was humbling. These people had nothing to offer Yeshua, but went searching for him, risking their lives, because they knew that only he could give them life. A real tear-jerker.
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004
Rumors of Yeshua and His healing power have reached a leper colony. Some of them venture outside to find Him and bring Him back. Will He come heal the rest? Will it be in time? The characters are rich and deep, which makes the climax powerful, but the story does drag at times.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ruthe Turner
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second story of Brock and Bodie Thoene’s A.D. Chronicles is one of the most moving stories I have ever read. Hopeless and heartbreaking problems are dealt with as the Healer walks among the desperate and lonely. The book is read by Sean Barrett, who has got to be the best at changing from one voice to another. Add some special sound effects, and you are transported into the story as if you were there.

Karen
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book! I listened to the audio version and the actor was brilliant with his various voices and portrayals of characters. I've always been a huge Bodie Thoene fan, and this story didn't disappoint. The historical & biblical background interwove together wonderfully and gave so much more meaning to what our Messiah has done for us.
Warephreak
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across the audio version at my library and decided to give it a try. I loved it and had to start at the beginning of the series and go right through. While they are probably not historically true, they are based on what is known and attempt to fill the gaps. They do a great job at that and provoke thought as well.
Jenny
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this book the best so far, in this series. This is the story of the colony of lepers, one in particular, who prays for the Messiah to come and heal them all. You get a good perspective of what their lives were like. Could have been full of despair, but they care for each other and get on with their lives. Good one to read, if you don't read the rest.
Monica
I love the way this book makes what happens in the Bible come to life. This book takes what happened in Jesus' time and puts names and faces to the people that Jesus encountered. It gives a clear picture of what could of happened to those characters during that time and helps give understanding to the significance of what was truly said by Jesus.
Carol
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second vol. is better than the first...and I liked the first one very much. I just wish they were easier to find. I cannot wait to read the next in the series.
The A.D. Chronicles series is set in the time of Christ. I felt I was back living among the people. I went through a series of emotions from anger to compassion.
Karlie
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (and the rest in this series) was a phenomenal read. Though fictitious, it painted a very vivid picture of what it may have been like during the Messiah's ministry on earth. The Thoene's definitely know how to weave a riveting story filled with historical facts and raw emotion. This was my favorite in this series so far. A must read!
Shanda
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book focused on a leper colony that was looking for the Messiah to come and heal them. The information in regard to the scriptures and some of the ancient writings and their double meanings is absolutely fascinating!!
Kurt Edwards
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuation of a great story. I am happy to have Lili a new character and follow her story. Pennial is back and that is so much fun to listen to more of his story now as a person who can see. Love the story and will definately keep on with the series.
Kw
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just so gripping, so moving, and so real. I never forget I'm reading fiction, but the Thoenes have obviously done extensive research into life in the first century A.D. I am loving learning more about it, and I'm so blessed to have a friend who will lend me the remaining 14 books in this series!
Meadow Frisbie
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish
This is about a colony of Lepars, one imparticulare who prayes for a healer. It continues the life of the characters of the last book but adds a new person.

This book was great, This series just gets better and better.
Dana
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over a weekend and couldn't wait to get to the library to get the third one. This one continues with the story of the previous characters of the first light but then adds to us the lepers of the area. Horrible to see how they were really treated at that time.
Becki
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, too. It's still a little weird to read about Christ in a fictional setting, meaning words and actions that are not in the Bible, but I didn't feel it was not true to Who He is.
  • Cannons of the Comstock (Saga of the Sierras, #5)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose, #1)
  • The Last Sacrifice
  • Dark Hour
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • The Wounded Yankee: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

A.D. Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • Third Watch (A.D. Chronicles, #3)
  • Fourth Dawn (A.D. Chronicles #4)
  • Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)
  • Sixth Covenant (A.D. Chronicles # 6)
  • Seventh Day (A.D. Chronicles, #7)
  • Eighth Shepherd (A.D. Chronicles, #8)
  • Ninth Witness (A.D. Chronicles, #9)
  • Tenth Stone (A.D. Chronicles, #10)
  • Eleventh Guest (A.D. Chronicles, #11)