Start by marking “Into the Darkness: The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk” as Want to Read:
Into the Darkness: The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk

Into the Darkness: The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk

On 2 December 2010, the body of a 24-year-old woman was found at the bottom of the rubbish chute in the luxury Balencea tower apartments in St Kilda Road, Melbourne, twelve floors below the apartment she had shared with her boyfriend, Antony Hampel.

Within minutes, the sound of sirens filled the hall as police cars from the nearby police station filled the front forecourt i
Published October 3rd 2016 by Scribe Publications

To ask other readers questions about Into the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Darkness

Start your review of Into the Darkness: The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Unfortunately this read really wasn’t for me. Whilst I was intrigued by the mystery, the innuendo and saddened by the premature death of this young woman I was not drawn to the writing style. I did not enjoy the authors intrusion into the narrative with her own observations or sarcastic comments or questions and there were too much emphasis or rehashing of boring courtroom details.

Maybe that was the sticking point – the author’s comments felt like an intrusion.

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
I won a copy of true crime writer Robin Bowles latest book, Into the Darkness : the mysterious death of Phoebe Handsjuk via a Goodreads giveaway. This is a book that contains a crime mystery that has fascinated me since word first got out through Australia’s media coverage of the case, some six years ago now. More recently, my interest in the case was piqued when I watched a Sixty Minutes television report on Phoebe Handsjuk’s case.

For those who are not aware of this peculiar crime mystery, it c
BAM The Bibliomaniac
True Crime Commemoration # 17
Setting: 2010 Australia
Suzie
I decided to read this book after listening to a podcast about the case. It was an interesting but frustrating read, so many unanswered questions. My heart goes out to this family, as Phoebe's death will probably never be resolved to their satisfaction
Nettie Grey
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
A fascinating and tragic story, but I found the writing laboured, especially the author's asides about herself.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Into the Darkness by Robin Bowles is a true crime book looking at The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk.

In December 2010 Phoebe bled to death in the garbage room of the Balencea apartment building on St Kilda Road in Melbourne, after falling 12 floors down the rubbish chute. The autopsy and police investigation concluded Phoebe committed suicide however her family refused to believe the findings.

Melbourne based author Robin Bowles attended the Inquest into Phoebe's death and brings the case to
Melinda Elizabeth
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robin Bowles feels like a grandmother that has stumbled upon a courtroom and decided to sit in to see what's happening. A writer who has spent time following Australian murders and unsolved mysteries, this time she's focused her attention on the story of Phoebe Handsjuk, a young Melbourne woman who was found at the bottom of a garbage chute in her well to do apartment complex.

Robin's narration stems mainly from the coronial inquest into Pheobe's death. By any means its a death that deserved a t
Edgarr Alien Pooh
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
"On 2 December 2010, the body of a 24-year-old woman was found at the bottom of the rubbish chute in the luxury Balancea tower apartments in St.Kilda Road, Melbourne, twelve floors below the apartment she had shared with her boyfriend, Antony Hampel.

The above paragraph come from the blurb on the back of the book and summarizes the 'crime' of the death of Phoebe Handsjuk.

I have received this ARC from the author and Goodreads in return for a fair book review. Here is that review.

This 'crime' capt
Helen
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t tend to get emotionally invested in true crime novels but reading about Phoebe Handsjuk’s death left me in various stages of anguish. A tumultuous relationship with an older partner. Ongoing issues with depression. A mysterious death with more questions than answers. And an overwhelmingly eerie sense that this could so easily have been a friend. A relative. A girl I knew. How would I cope?

My interest in Phoebe’s story was piqued by the recent The Age podcast, Phoebe’s Fall. It seemed inc
Ruby Noise
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A mystery indeed.

So many mistakes made by the investigation and the legal system. So many unanswered questions because the police believed it to be suicide rather than a murder investigation. I see both sides of the argument there, however why no prints on a stainless steel garbage chute if Pheobe was to put herself in there alone.

Rest well Pheobe those who know your truth have to live with it until the end of their days.
Monica
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
A well researched book into a very mysterious death. After reading it, I can't say I have a strong opinion as to what happened, murder, accident or suicide all seem unlikely...but one of them must be the answer

The author though did well in showing all the people involved and their feelings and points of view. I felt I got to know Pheobe and it's truly unfair that we'll probably never know what happened to her.

An intense read to be sure.
Gothsparkleprincess
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this after listening to the podcast Phoebe's Fall and learning about her horrific, lonely story. I was hooked and stayed up all night reading this. It's distressing and haunting but contains a lot of important and interesting info on the case. The suicide ruling seems like a scapegoat to me and I hope dear Phoebe gets the justice she deserves one day.
Linda Garcia
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good insight into this mystery. Can’t believe it was ruled a suicide. And the news that hit this week about another girl that “committed suicide” while dating that scumbag should raise some questions and have Phoebe’s case reopened!
Robin
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engrossing tale of a death that leaves more questions than it answers.
Suzanne Flohr
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, just wish there was an outcome for the family. The book flowed very well and didnt jump all over the place.
Caroline Poole
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks Goodreads for this giveaway. Another example of fact being stranger than fiction, this true mysterious death is a fascinating read. You are given a great insight into the events and the following investigation, inquest and outcomes. The author does a great job of remaining impartial and is extremely thorough in her presentation of this mystery.
Beth
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
An exacting account of a haunting mystery. Hopefully one day soon the families will really find out what happened to Phoebe ~ so sad.
Angela
Oct 18, 2016
Lisa
Aug 12, 2020
Erinne
rated it did not like it
May 10, 2018

• Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • The Media and the Massacre, Port Arthur 1996-2016
  • The Woman Before Wallis
  • All the Broken People
  • True Crime Addict: How I Lost Myself in the Mysterious Disappearance of Maura Murray
  • Silver