Start by marking “Jane Austen in Scarsdale” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen in Scarsdale

Jane Austen in Scarsdale

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,623 Ratings  ·  304 Reviews
Anne Ehrlich is a dedicated guidance counselor steering her high-school charges through the perils of college admission. Thirteen years ago, when she was graduating from Columbia University, her wealthy family---especially her dear grandmother Winnie---persuaded her to give up the love of her life, Ben Cutler, a penniless boy from Queens College. Anne has never married and ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen in Scarsdale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen in Scarsdale

Cara and Ashley
Aug 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
When I first read the synopsis of Jane Austen in Scarsdale, I was expecting an exciting love story between Anne and Ben and was curious as to how the author would narrate how ‘old love be rekindled and past mistakes put right’.
Unfortunately, my expectation was not met. There was certainly a story to be told between Anne and Ben, but the author did not really indulge the reader with a clear storyline on how they fell in love again. The book contains chapters and chapters of Anne’s guidance counse
Nicole
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A delightful funny book with an astute social commentary on parental anxiety and privileged insularity. This is a variant of Persuasion but is not slavish. Ms Cohen takes a look at current social foibles in a narrow slice of affluent suburban America. The story setting is among high school seniors and their wildly ambitious parents during the college application process when the students are often persuaded by their parents goals rather than their own needs. This Anne is their guidance counselor ...more
Anna Johnson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Witty and hilarious. A perfectly enjoyable summer read.
Amy
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Modeling itself after Austen's Persuasion, this is a nice novel and a somewhat sobering look at the crazy world of the college admissions process. Really, my kid is just three and I am seriously freaking fright now. Anyway, that seems to be the problem . . . too much of that and not enough about the main relationship of the book. And the book, via the blurb, presents itself as a love story first, so I feel somewhat compelled to correct the marketing team's misrepresentation. If it is a great lov ...more
Christine
Dec 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book istelf is a light-hearted bit of chick lit, so it's not necessarily as bad as the 1 star rating would suggest. I've given the 1 star rating because this book seems to be on the marketingbandwagon of all things Jane Austen--and honestly, I can't see any parallels between Austen and this book.

Cohen's book also took some time to get into, as the whole first 10 chapters or so are portraying the stressed, formerly riche heroine. It doesn't get one intrigued--it just makes you feel stressed,
Tammy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it.
Kathryn
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There’s something about Jane Austen’s novels that causes the addicted fan to cry out for more witticisms, more lovely command of the English language, more hilarious but believable characterizations and more entertaining plot points which always lead to a satisfyingly happy ending for the novel’s lovers, no matter how star-crossed they initially appear.

Aside from the literal screen adaptations of Austen’s works (including those produced by the BBC and A&E), the proof of her artistic timeless
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
I am a fan of Jane Austen and Persuasion (Barnes & Noble Classics) is one of my top favorites stories. This book is supposed to be a modern-day retelling of Persuasion, yet it really is loosely based on the book. A lot of the names are similar to help you make the parallels between "Persuasion" and this book such as Anne Elliot vs. Anne Ehlrich and a lot of what is established in this story is faithful to the plot in Persuasion. I enjoyed reading this book, I found the main character likeabl ...more
Jessi
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: janeites-unite
Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs, by Paula Marantz Cohen, is one of the best Jane Austen-paralit novels I've found. I picked it up in a used bookstore for a few bucks based on the name alone, and now I really want to read Ms. Cohen's other books. Jane Austen in Scarsdale is an updated Persuasion, but knowledge of the original is not necessarily needed to enjoy it. Anne Erlich is a guidance counselor at a prep school full of students with college-obsessed parents. Her wealth ...more
Erin
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
I don't think I'm alone when I say that I expected more Austen, less contemporary. As a reinterpretation of Persuasion it does alright, if you skip the bits about Anne working as a guidance counselor. The story seemed to be suffering from a bit of an identity crisis; was it a story of a modern career woman finding love, or the story of Austen's Anne re-set in the modern world? At times, I found myself wondering if it was even a romance at all.

It's not a bad book by any means. It doesn't suffer f
Jenny
Jul 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
This is a fun book--not very taxing mentally, but it was a fun and quick read based loosely on Jane Austen (Persuasion, I think).

A guidance counselor at a moneyed school meets a man she once loved but threw over because of money and family. Their situations are reversed now, he is engaged, her job is demanding, and her family causes conflict. Romantic and financial mayhem ensues. The ending is predictable, but fun.

I loved the humor, the mild satire of helicopter parents, and the setting. The p
Andrea
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-chick-lit
Cute. Fun. A fascinating look at life as a high school guidance counselor. The plot - rich girl (Anne) meets great guy (Ben) but dumps him because he's not appropriate according to her family. He ends up doing well for himself while her former well to do family is in bankruptcy and forced to sell the family house. And of course she never stopped loving him. Ben comes back into the picture, swoops in to save the day, but has a fiance in the picture. It kills Anne to watch him with another woman, ...more
Mariana
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Being a huge Austen fan, I have read quite a few versions of her works set in modern day. I have to say, this is the best one yet. Rather than trying to force the reader to associate the original and the new version at every possible detail, the author wisely decided to simply use the themes that Austen wrote into Persuasion and apply them in a modern setting. It is more its own book, a companion and a real update of the original, than a simple copy and paste with contrived coincidences as some ...more
Rachel Rogers
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Generally based on Austen's Persuasion, a book I had, to that date, not read. This book is a wonderful, pleasant read, with mostly likeable characters. Yes, it's about beautiful people with fairly decent lives and thus is a bit escapist - but the people are real and the situations too.

Prompted me to read Persuasion and compare the two. An intelligent retelling of Austen, brings it up to date without undermining the purity of her original work.
Allison
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-10
Perfect book to bring with me on my cruise this summer! Also, as an aspiring high school counselor, this book really gave practical examples of what can happen day-to-day in a guidance office in Westchester (I'm a resident of the county and the author is totally on-point!) and how to deal with it as the person in the middle of teachers, principals, parents, and students. A+!
Anna
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm a sucker for Jane Austen retellings. And Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen story. So I was pretty excited to pick up this book. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations at all.
To begin with, the focus was on Anne's guidance counseling. We don't even meet Ben until chapter 14 and he's only seen a few times before they get together. Some of the stories of Anne's students were fun and interesting, but the chapters and chapters of her dealing with parents and students were dull a
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
So, this is a Persuasion retelling. I love Persuasion by Jane Austen and I enjoyed this book for what it was--a lighter fluff read. I really enjoyed a lot of the characters (Anne, the grandmother, Ben and his family) and they really made the book for me. I especially enjoyed Anne's character; I felt she was a strong protagonist in all the right ways without being pushy and I admired her for her work and the way she treated others. I also felt that her character stayed true to Jane Austen's Anne. ...more
Staciel
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it

2.5-3.0 stars

I purchased this one after reading an article somewhere about an author's favorite Austen adaptations..she'd listed seven of them, and this is the only one that I had not looked into.

So, in I went as 'Persuasion' is my favorite Austen novel, and I'm in a 'Persuasion' state of mind after spending my wedding anniversary with my husband at a stage production (which was just so good!)

Anyway-- back to this book.. definite nods to Austen were there, and I did enjoy them and the Captain We
Jenn
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh. I've only read Persuasion once. I intend to re-read the rest of Austen's books, but there's so much I want to read for the first time, that I have a hard time making myself do it. So, I'm sure I only vaguely remember the details. Probably had this not been marketed as a retelling of Persuasion, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

This was...okay. It was readable and quick. It was kind of fun. But it lacked a LOT of depth. There was little to no actual romance. There were also a LOT of characte
Charlene
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This story brought back memories of applying to college - the essays/personal statements, GPAs, SATS and community service. It is amazing to see the lengths at which many parents go through to get their kids into the "best" schools - hiring a professional essayist, sending the child to rigorous test prep courses and more.

Jane Austen in Scarsdale was an interesting read that was more than just a story about the college application process, it was about learning to follow your heart - triumphs.
Mary
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Who cares if other readers didn't like this book? It's a delightful little retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion for the 21th century. It's funny and light, and it's centered around a high school guidance counselor, so the drama of the college admissions process was especially entertaining to me as a mom of teenagers. After along 800-page book and then a heavy historical novel I just read, this was a welcome little quick read.
Cora
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retold-classic
What I like best about this book is how true to the spirit of Anne Elliot it stays. Anne Erlich has the same steady, quiet, strong character as the original, never whining about her regrets however much she may feel them. The high school setting, with Anne as the guidance counselor everyone relies on while they underestimate her, is apt, and the Captain-Wentworth-as-travel-writer Ben Cutler is a pretty good updating of the original. Very enjoyable.
Gretchen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute retelling of Persuasion. Jane Austen in Scarsdale or Love, Death and the SATS by Paula Marantz Cohen. Maybe some of you have read it? It is set in the modern world, the world of high school. The main character is head of the guidance counseling department in an upper class high school where college is the goal for going to high school. Ms. Cohen follows the format of Persuasion perfectly. You laugh and gasp and just have fun with this book.
Heather
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Parts of this book were absolutely hilarious to me. The guidance counselor/student/parent relationships were quite humorous and I liked that setting for the book. The Persuasion elements in it were nice, but of course it was nowhere near as swoonworthy as the original or as enjoyable as A Thousand Letters. I still really liked all of the characters and the book was a fun one overall! 3.5/5 stars :)
Amy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have ever navigated college applications to prestigious schools with your teen, this book will have you laughing out loud. Guidance counselor Anne Ehrlich is helping competitive high school students find their college match. Then her old flame, Ben, shows up in town again, and she regrets breaking up with him years ago. This is a fun, modern version of Jane Austen's Persuasion.
P Bright
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a delightful light read with some hilarious laugh out loud moments.
Jules
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
I did not like this at all.
Lindsay Steele
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable book until the end, where it really fell flat. Especially considering the great ending of Persuasion, I was disappointed.
Katie Malone
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Fun reading. Nice version of Persuasion. Characters were well defined. I would recommend for any Jane Austen fan who likes retellings.
Tonya
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
It was ok. The characters were kinda bland. Not bad if you're looking for something sweet.
  • Searching For Pemberley
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • By a Lady: Being the Adventures of an Enlightened American in Jane Austen's England
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • Mr. Darcy's Undoing: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Jane Austen's Charlotte: Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barrett
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
  • The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy (Darcy, #2)
  • Flirting with Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Persuading Annie
  • Darcy and Anne
Paula Marantz Cohen, Distinguished Professor of English, received her BA in English and French from Yale University and her Ph.D. in English from Columbia University. She is the author of seven books and numerous essays on literature, film, and culture.

Her most recent academic book, Silent Film and the Triumph of the American Myth (Oxford UP), was selected as a Choice Outstanding Book for 2003. H
More about Paula Marantz Cohen

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Much better he should read for the first half of his life and then live for the next half. That's the proper sequence to know what you're doing. Nowadays, they start off by living and never get around to reading – it explains the mess we're all in.” 0 likes