Start by marking “66 Metres (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #1)” as Want to Read:
66 Metres (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #1)

66 Metres

(Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #1)

The only thing worth killing for is family.

Everyone said she had her father’s eyes. A killer’s eyes. Nadia knew that on the bitterly cold streets of Moscow, she could never escape her past – but in just a few days, she would finally be free.

Bound to work for Kadinsky for five years, she has just one last mission to complete. Yet when she is instructed to capture The Rose

Published August 25th 2016 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about 66 Metres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 66 Metres

Dash fan
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Jam Packed Full of Action, Thrills & Suspense! Prepared to be left breathless!

66 Metres is the first book in the Nadia Laksheva spy thriller series.
It was action packed, thrilling, a race against time, good vs bad, it was real adrenaline rush.

There was a fair amount of deep sea diving, which actually took my breath away. I felt as though it was me going underwater.
It was a lil claustrophobic but in a good way as it felt so real.

When Nadia and her sister get caught up in the underground wo
Whispering Stories
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

As daft as it might seem, I actually read book two, 37 Hours, and book three, 88° North, before I got around to reading this book, so it was nice to be able to see exactly where Nadia’s story began.

When she was just a little girl Nadia Laksheva watched as men burst into her home and dragged her father out, he was never seen again. She spent years feeling guilty, believing that she could of helped him. Her relationship with her mother was fraugh
Eva
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* --> 4*

66 Metres introduces us to Nadia Luksheva, who has been forced to undertake missions to keep her sister safe from harm. For the past five years, Nadia has been working for Kadinsky, who’s been holding her sister prisoner as an incentive. But now Nadia has just one last mission to complete and she and her sister will be allowed to go free.

Nadia is instructed to retrieve a device, a military weapon called The Rose. But as is always the case with things like these, there are of course
Liz
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
66 Metres is a fantastic thriller. The whole diving thing was so interesting and the atmosphere created so perfectly, I felt completely in the setting.
The characters are cool- Russian characters always are, even the mean ones- and the plot, even though the usual 'terrorist' kind of thing, was actually really well beefed out- the main plot and the subplots, equally.
I will definitely be continuing with the series!
Meggy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

Nadia's life is cold. Not just because it starts in Moscow. Not just because her father is a killer. Not because her mother is hard to understand and her sister stuck with a terrible crowd. Nadia's life is cold because there is no way out. At least until an opportunity gives her the choice of sacrificing five years working for a bad guy for a better life for her and her sister, away from the Russian's affairs, away from her father's legacy.

Nadia is not your usual character. I felt she barely had

booksofallkinds
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
66 METRES by J.F. Kirwan is a spy thriller with a difference and a must-read for fans of the genre.

Nadia's life in Russia has never been normal with a killer for a father and a cold, distant mother. Her love for her sister is what keeps her going and when their lives are threatened, Nadia signs away her life for five years to gain freedom for her and her sibling.

Five years of training and missions for a Russian criminal thug has certainly taken its toll but as Nadia finds herself diving into the
Pat
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really, really good. Nadia Laksheva is a female operative of the highest order. Her father was an assassin and she has been trained as such after her father was taken away - presumably to be shot. Her sister, Katya, is a favourite girl of some heavy dude called Kadinsky and she agrees to work for him for five years after which he will give Katya her freedom.

She is doing her last job for Kadinsky to recover an object called the Rose which is some sort of weapon (bear with me guys, its m
Claire
I wouldn’t say a spy thriller would be top of my list of choices to read but I’m gradually coming round to this sub-genre, having read Rob Sinclair’s Enemy and James Ryker series. So when I was asked to read 66 Metres, I was interested to explore another spy story.

The characters in 66 Metres are larger than life but it’s not at the detriment of the book. I think that this adds to the complex tale that the author has woven across a number of locations, the main of which is the Scilly Islands whic
Laura Turner
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found on my blog: https://pageturnersnook.wordpress.com

I absolutely adore a good spy novel, and a good spy novel 66 Metres certainly is. I soooooo want to be Nadia Laksheva, but without the hard-hitting family life it took to get there … it was a rough ‘un!! Nadia is a heroine like no other and I have a feeling that she is a character that a lot of readers are going to fall for – in a hard way, she is die-hard!!! Nadia is like the girl from Blindspot (f you haven’t watched
Bella
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first novel in J. F. Kirwan’s Nadia Laksheva series introduces a heroine that readers are bound to fall hard for. “The only thing worth killing for is family,” reads the book’s telling dedication, and as readers meet Nadia and her family, they’re led down a seedy storyline involving government corruption, a labyrinth of dead ends and lost leads.

66 Metres brings readers along for a rollicking and fast-paced ride that includes undersea interludes (66 meters is the depth at which air begins to
Sean Talbot
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogtours, read-2017
review to be posted on tour date
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, it was fast paced and I was gripped from the first few pages.  The characters were great and I really thought that Nadia was an excellent lead character – I do love a good strong female lead in this kind of book and the author certainly did not disappoint!  I gave this book a high four stars, its definitely a book and author I would recommend, so much so that I have the next book in the series lined up to read already!
Steph Warren
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free e-copy of this book in return for an honest review as part of a review competition by Books and the Bear.*

I normally avoid thriller novels, especially if they have the word ‘spy’ anywhere in the blurb, but I confess that this book had me hooked from the Prologue. It provided just the right amount of characterisation, background and plot set-up to be intriguing without giving away what the actual plot would be or falling into lengthy descriptive prose.

I found myself immediately
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
I am often a bit reluctant about starting a new series because often they start good and go downhill or they just mean that I'm committed to reading too many books in order to keep up. There aren't that many series that I read and follow but something about the blurb for 66 Metres appealed to me.

I have dived before, quite a few times before I unfortunately got the bends (long story but it was because I was dehydrated from being seasick rather than anything I did) but that scared me enough to put
Kimberly Chavez
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
66 Metres is an excellent debut novel for J.F. Kirwan. I don’t recall ever reading a novel where so much of the story takes places underwater (without being set on a submarine), but Kirwan’s diving experience combined with his descriptive style made it easy to imagine how these scenes played out. I learned a lot about the ocean, currents and diving, and would love to see a shipwreck one day!

In this first outing, Nadia is a fledgling spy. After 3 years of intensive training and 2 years on operati
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was Brilliant! I don't throw that word around very often when describing a book, but in this case it absolutely fits. It was very exciting, lots of action! I loved reading about the deep sea diving which I know nothing about. And, it is something I would never do! It seems way too scary for me. But it was very interesting to read about. You can definitely tell the author is an experienced diver.

There is a lot going on in this book, seriously never a dull moment. There are a lot of pla
Sheila Howes
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Nadia Laksheva spy thriller series. We initially meet Nadia when she leaves home on her 18th birthday and heads to Moscow, to meet up with her sister, Katya. Within the first few months, Nadia ends up in trouble, and Katya's gangster boyfriend, Kadinsky, saves her with the agreement that she will work for him for 5 years and then he will free both Nadia and Katya.

The main story starts at the end of the 5 years, when Nadia is taking part in what will be her last mission f
Feather Stone
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of 66 Metres in exchange for an honest review.

66 Metres begins with gripping intrigue. Right from the first page, I knew this novel's plot promised an intense and exciting experience. I followed well developed characters into a world that was foreign to me and, thus, full of surprises. Some of the characters were on the edge of morally bankrupt, callous beyond comprehension, and I hated them. One or two I managed to feel twinges of sympathy. That's the gift of an accomplis
Laura Carbo
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
A very fast pacing book that cannot be put down from the very first chapter. The multi-character story telling humanises characters that are indeed gangsters and/or terrorists, with an undefined line between ethics and personal interest. Towards the end, as the plot and characters are fully drawn, the book becomes more predictable in a comical British style that only adds to the texture of the book.
Overall a smart and interesting plot that is easy to read and keeps you engrossed in the story unt
Joan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This gritty novel captured me after the initial set up of the many characters. Set in the realm of the world's power thugs, it has believable characters and a plot that could be out of today's newspapers.

I liked Nadia. She is a tough woman, pitting loyalty to her sister against the vow she made her mother to never kill. I felt for her, getting caught up in the world of ruthless power mongers. She has to overcome deep pain to succeed in her task.

The plot is fascinating, with several groups wantin
Jessica
66 metres is my very first spy thriller novel. This is a genre I have never read before so I wasn't quite sure what I was going to make of it. Well I can honestly say I will definitely be reading more of this genre, its so exciting!!

66 Metres for me was intense, the more I read the more I didn't want to put it down. I found myself thinking about the main characters Nadia and Jake at every given moment, I constantely wanted to know what was going to happen next. J.F. Kirwan really gets you hooked
Leah Moyse
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would like to start by saying that I don't have much experience of reading spy thrillers, this however certainly didn't put me off of reading 66 Metres as I found the blurb to be so intriguing.

Nadia is devoted to her sister Katya and she has one last mission to do at the hands of Kadinsky to free them both from his evil clutches forever. However the mission proposed is the deadliest one yet, a mission to retrieve The Rose, a weapon capable of great destruction when in the wrong hands.

I found
Ollivier
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A spy novel where none of the protagonists, good or bad, are superheros or undeclared sons/daughters of James Bond… Nice plot, good fights and realistic diving conditions & settings.

I was worried about Nadia as at some point she seemed more or less surrounded but the author managed to keep it real and believable. Will go to the second one without hesitation! Well done.
Muzna Hina
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I recieved a free copy of this book in return for an honest book review for the review competition by Books and the Bear*

66 Metres is a great read and Nadia is a great character. J. F Kirwin has done a brilliant job in writing about a women’s history of abuse and her emotional turmoil, which is rare to find in a story revolving about a lady. Nadia’s journey feels like the reader walking up to their own liberation. The author does not shy away from deeply engraved social issues like racism and s
Marco
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The next best thing to diving. I am a scuba diver and was amazed at how the diving scenes were portrayed, very lifelike. Highly recommended, whether you dive or not.
Rob
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Espionage, thriller, mystery… 66 Metres has it all. It’s exciting, full speed but in it’s espionage genre a bit predictable. First half is well written and fun to read but towards the ending things are getting cluttered and maybe some choices in the storytelling should have been different (if there’s a 2nd book in this series (?) planned).

66 Metres is J.F. Kirwan’s first book and it is a good one, there’s some room for improvement still looking forward to his/hers (?) next one.
Felicia
Gritty. 66 Metres is gritty.

Exactly what is expected in the shadowy world of crime families, covert operatives, and terrorists looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and those who crave only power.

There are no good guys. Only those with agendas—be they escaping past demons or seeking to possess future riches.

There are no friendships… only alliances.

And they are temporary.

Nadia Laksheva is our protagonist, trapped into service for five years in this dangerous world to pay off a de
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I am a HUGE fan of J.F.Kirwan and this series. Now, usually I would suggest reading book serial's in order and, whilst you can get away with reading the second book in this series BEFORE the first one (just like I did), I found that I was unable to enjoy the first book as much as I would have liked because I knew what was going to happen later on down the li
Shell Baker
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
66 Metres is the first book in the Nadia Laksheva spy thriller series and now I am left thinking why didn't I read this book sooner! This is definitely what I call a crime thriller.

First of all I have to say that I love the fact this book features a strong kick ass main character….Nadia. Who we meet her at the age of 18 after her father’s death she learns that her dad was a killer. and her mother is dying. Nadia’s character is quickly built up in the first few chapters giving us plenty of backgr
Kate Avery
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-2018
I managed to go about reading this series a bit backwards, I started with book two by mistake and then, of course, couldn't wait to read book three but I knew that I couldn't not read this one and I am so glad I circled back to do so! Whilst I understood everything that happened in subsequent books reading this just slotted some pieces together for me in terms of relationships and motivations.

I feel like I got to know Nadia really well by reading this book and finding out about more about her ba

• Veil of Deception (Jason Conrad Thriller #4)
  • Wallflower (Harbinger Mystery, #2)
  • Blind Justice
  • Slingshot (Spycatcher, #3)
  • Scare Me
  • The Complete Navarone 4-Book Collection: The Guns of Navarone, Force Ten From Navarone, Storm Force from Navarone, Thunderbolt from Navarone
  • The Lucifer Network (Sam Packer, #2)
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • Shadows (DI Braddick #2)
  • Haunting Obsession
  • A Deadly Game
  • Countdown (Cassidy & Spenser #5)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Night Strike (Extreme #2)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Full Fathom Five
  • Lies Between Us
  • Environmentally Friendly
J. F. Kirwan is the author of the Nadia Laksheva thriller series for HarperCollins. Having worked in accident investigation and prevention in nuclear, offshore oil and gas and aviation sectors, he uses his experience of how accidents initially build slowly, then race towards a climax, to plot his novels.

An instructor in both scuba diving and martial arts, he travels extensively all over the world,

Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller (3 books)
  • 37 Hours (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #2)
  • 88˚ North (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #3)