Start by marking “Dark Dawning (Totem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Dawning (Totem, #1)

Dark Dawning

(Totem #1)

It’s a dark day when someone murders one of their own.

Shifters across Alaska are going missing. When up and coming interior designer Ametta Dorn rescues the gorgeous Kodiak shifter Lucky Osberg, she comes into the crosshairs of two relentless hunters. While Lucky sets his sights on wooing her, the killers seek to not only capture her in her powerful polar bear form but to
Published October 17th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Dark Dawning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Dawning

Cherie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Polar bear shifter Ametta Dorn dreams of the big city, as long as that city isn't in Alaska, in Christine Rains' Dark Dawning, but those dreams will be put on hold until Ametta and her family stop the hunters seeking down shifters for their skins. Ametta is a spitfire, sure-of-herself woman who can be more than a bit stubborn about things. Lucky Osberg can be stubborn as well as he and Ametta butt heads on matters. The mystery of who is killing shifters and why intrigues me. We don't get all the ...more
Meradeth Houston
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The start of this wonderful series had me up really late reading. The characters are so interesting and I really enjoyed the sister's dynamic, their differences, and how they've all struggled with their family's history, their sense of self, and then the challenge's placed before them now. Each book was a great adventure, and they way they all wove together was expertly done. Plus, it's adorable to see the three sisters handle relationships and their regular lives on top of the dark and terrifyi ...more
Linda
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark Dawning by Christine Rains

I have read and reviewed several of Christine Rains’ novellas and I enjoy the way she writes. “Dark Dawning” is set in Alaska and grabbed my interest right away with its Inuit mythology. I have a weakness for Native American stories. However, I can’t recall having read any stories about polar bear shifters before. I dove in head first and devoured the novella enjoying the story till the end. Then my mind started to question some of the events, like how did that hap
M. Langlinais
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ametta Dorn is the youngest of three shifter sisters. When she saves fellow shifter Lucky Osberg from hunters, she gets drawn out of her world of interior decorating and into a dark and dangerous mystery. Who is hunting and killing shifters? And more immediately: Can Ametta stay true to herself and her plans to leave her Alaskan home, or will growing feelings for Lucky anchor her there?

This first in a nine-part series of novellas sets the stage for an interesting quest. The three Dorn sisters mu
Melissa
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

Very interesting book. Surprised me. Can't wait to read more by Christine. The first in this series is awesome, can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the series.
Ametta and Lucky, who is not so lucky, must run from hunters. Twists and turns abound in this book!
Amanda
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Ellen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This was a fun, quick read full of fascinating shape shifting characters, action, humor, and romance. As other reviewers have mentioned, the author does a great job packing a lot into a tightly constructed story. It's one of those books that you want to read in one sitting because you just have to keep turning the pages to find out what's going to happen next.

'Dark Dawning' centers on an interior designer, Ametta Dorn, who also happens to shape shift into a polar bear from time to time. Her love
Nick Wilford
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great start to this series. Very fast read, but the author packed a lot in and I felt invested in the characters, even those we are yet to find out much about. Rains knows how to write a great chase scene; the action here felt tense and real. I also like how a mythology has been built up around the shifters, which we get little teases of. Looking forward to finding out more about the subsequent parts; the ending pretty much leads us straight into Book 2, which I've already started reading!

- Ni
Yolanda Renee
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it.

Christine is one of my favorite authors. This time she took me back to Alaska with her Polar Bear shifters.

Ametta Dorn is a sexy, headstrong designer with big plans, and Lucky Osberg is a handsome firefighter with a desire to alter those plans, but a killer is on the loose and family is the target.

It's an exciting journey through the wilds of Alaska with Ametta and Lucky and a host of shifters. Christine weaves her tale of the paranormal and romantic suspense with mystical native lo
Julie Flanders
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick read with a great mix of mystery, suspense and humor. I'm always drawn to books with an Alaskan setting and I enjoyed the weaving of Inuit mythology into the modern world. I liked the characters right away and look forward to spending more time with them as I read the rest of the series.
Juneta Key
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engaging adventure quick read

Fun read, a hint of Romance with an engaging and strong mystery. Can't wait to read the next book in this 7 book series to learn more about the mystery and story world.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ametta is an interior designer in Alaska – but this werepolarbear has ambitions far beyond her state: she wants to head south, to the great cities and really build her business.

Her family does not approve

But when wereanimals are being hunted and killed and skinned any disagreements she has with them about their future need to be shelved while they focus on desperately surviving.

Werepolarbears! Werepolar-bears. Were-polar-bears? I don’t know exactly how to write but this is awesome and so rare

And
T.F.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a massive Christine Rains fan, I was super excited when she released the first book in her Totem series. In Dark Dawning, we meet Ametta a polar bear shifter. Ametta has huge dreams for her future as an interior designer, and they include her leaving Alaska. But when she rescues a deliciously sexy Kodiak shifter named, Lucky, well let’s just say, everything in her life changes. And as far as I’m concerned, it was in the best possible way.
The pair find themselves in the middle of a war with hu
Decadent Kane
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Christine's books for years now and love how much I've seen her grow through each book/series. The writing in this one is as expected, well done, appealing, and pulled me right into the story.

I was able to connect right away to the leading lady, Ametta, as she is strong, willful, and her own woman. I always like that in female characters.
Lucky I often felt bad for- he was hurt so many times- poor guy- but his strength and determination won me over as Ametta's possible other
Cathrina Constantine
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMGoodness. I absolutely loved Dark Dawning by Christine Rains!

The author, Christine Rains knows how to write action-packed, suspenseful scenes. And the sexual tension between Ametta and Lucky had me wanting more, much more. I was enthralled with this book, and when I was less than half-way through Dark Dawning, I couldn't put it down. I was somewhat stunned when I reached the end because I definitely needed it to go on and on. I look forward to reading the next installment of The Totem Series,
Trisha
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book and am now writing my review. I didn't expect this to end so soon - and I was disappointed it did, because I wanted to read on! Christine Rains is developing an intriguing world and interesting characters who I definitely want to read more about, with lots of 'action / adventure' to keep me hooked. And of course there is some sizzling romance to provide a special kind of intrigue.

The book definitely left me with a lot of questions unanswered, which is natura
Christine Rains
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The first book in my urban fantasy series, Totem. Ametta is the youngest of the Dorn sisters, and the one who gives me the most trouble. She's feisty!

This is the beginning, a dark one, of a nine book series filled with mystery, danger, romance, and Inuit mythology. I've fallen in love with this world and the people in it. I hope you do too.
aimee
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great fast read

i thought this book was really good, it is a fast read, fast paced, full of excitement, mystery, and a hint of romance. loved the characters and the fact that even though this was a fairly short book, i felt i was able to connect with the two main characters.
McKayla Schutt
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story was good but...

I liked the story line. Hunky guy, protecting the girl. Girl wants to leave but loads of other problems. Ending- was not a fan off!
Lara Alamad
Sep 07, 2017
Patricia Mccammon
rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2017
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. When she's not playing games with her son, she's playing games with her friends. She has four degrees which do not help at all with motherhood but make her a great Jeopardy player.

Christine has one novel and several novellas and short stories published. She's the author of The 13th Floor and Totem series. She is a member of Untethered Realms and

Totem (9 books)
  • Silent Whispers (Totem, #2)
  • Cloak of Snow (Totem, #3)
  • Shattered Spirit (Totem, #4)
  • Ghost Cat (Totem, #5)
  • Deep Current (Totem, #6)
  • Shadows Fall (Totem, #7)
  • Descending Moon (Totem, #8)
  • True Shifter (Totem, #9)