Start by marking “El Señor del Sabbath (La nación de las bestias #1)” as Want to Read:
El Señor del Sabbath (La nación de las bestias #1)

Read Book

El Señor del Sabbath

(La Nación de las Bestias #1)

“—Oye… ¿No estás harto de tener miedo? ¿No quisieras tener la certeza, por primera vez en tu vida, de que no estás loco? ¿De que todo lo que ves y lo que te pasa… es real?”

Durante casi toda su vida, Elisse ha sido acosado por criaturas horripilantes que al parecer, nadie más puede ver ni escuchar. Desesperado por huir tanto de ellas como de su pasado, decide marcharse de l
Published February 28th 2017

MischaS_
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I sort of hate myself for this review.

When I started, I thought that this quite possibly could be the best read not only in February but in 2019 as well! It was that good! I loved the story setting, loved the background, the magic part, and the main character was amazing!
Elisse is an androgyny male, and several characters are confused about whether he is a male or a female at the beginning of the stor
Banny Carstairs
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Banny by: mexican blogger friends

This jewel is out for you, guys on March 5th!!! b>

RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL

This book is only available in Spanish at the moment, but fear not, my English-speaking fellow readers for it'll be published in the USA in the near future.

Elisse has been haunted by grotesque, horrible and scary creatures no ones else is able to see his whole life. He runs from India (where he was raised) to New Orleans, USA in hopes of finding his father and an answer to this. He finds out more than he hoped for, that's for
Teodora
I liked very much the fact that this book was so complex constructed and very explicit with solid details, filled with reality and magic, but I cannot get over the fact that at first, I was very confused with it and also, there were numerous parts where I felt bored with it. It was kind of slow-paced, which is not exactly what I love about books, but I really want to say that despite that it was very good constructed.
Thank you, NetGalley for the reading copy!
Arybo ✨
I absolutely loved this book! ❤

It was a long time since I read an exciting book that involved the real world and the magical world. I have always been fascinated by voodoo and New Orleans, by its magical and mystical charm. I took the opportunity to visit this city in "virtual mode" through this book, which I also recommend to those who want to approach for the first time to the fantasy genre.

The book becomes more and more dark as the story progresses and the characters discover secrets and mys
Kari Marie
This translation was beautifully done. I think the world was really cool and different. Too bad I was super confused in the beginning wondering if I picked up the second book. This is the first. Also I just got bored. I wanted to like this book but I didn't.
Three stars for NetGalley because maybe somebody else likes a slow build up.
Two stars for Goodreads because I thought it was ok because the world is cool and the initial world building was vivid, I just got bored.
Ruth Dragonborn
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So far I'm drawn into the amazing story, the lovable characters and the unexpected developments of the second part, I'm really excited to finish this book!
L A
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to IBPA and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I've been swithering about finishing this review as I have some mixed feelings about this book and everytime I sit down to write it I procrastinate horribly. So here we go.

This is an interesting book and slightly different from standard YA fare. It follows the story of Elisse, a young man with a mysterious past raised as an orphan in India. Elisse has been haunted his entire life by nightmarish creatures an
Ana Redfield
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing! The story is really awesome, scary, exciting, heartbreaking and I think most people should give it one chance. I think the most lovely part of this book is about the characters, you love them so much and specially (view spoiler)
☽ Kαƚιҽ
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs

The theme of this book drew me in and this book sure will send you on a wild ride. We meet our main character Elisse. He is on a journey to not only find out who he is and why he is constantly seeing monsters, but also looking to find more information about his father. I liked the way that this story was told and how it is told from a few different points of view. The author did a good job making sure y
Layla
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be sent an eARC of this story through NetGalley, for an honest review.

A fast paced mix of folklore and cultures. Dark, raw and filled with the unknown.

I don't think I've ever seen such a mix of New Orleans voodoo, Native American spiritualism coupled and Hinduism. There is so much rich history interwoven into this one story.

I am always fascinated by New Orleans and the atmosphere that it creates. And I've always been interested in Native American beliefs. So I knew that th
Helena Aris
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ME ENCANTO, FUE UNA REVELACIÓN... ENIGMÁTICO, MISTERIOSO E IMPACTANTE.
TE ENVUELVE HASTA LA ULTIMA PAGINA.
Heidi [Literature and Sunshine]
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, read-2019
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

ARC is provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I begin to understand that nothing in this world is truly mystical – religions, myths, history, legends. Everything fits into a logic suitable to those who have had the honor to understand it from both magical and spiritual perspectives. And I can’t let go of the fact that there are people who dedicated their whole lives to unveiling many of these mysteries, to know the background of human existence, of t
Gabrielle Schuffert
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was given an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nation of the Beasts is a mysterious tale filled with New Orleans style voodoo and mythical ancestors. It is rich with a mix of history and fantasy that entertains any lover of dark tales. Elisse is on a journey to find a family of his own and to awaken the ancestor, a powerful creature that gives him strength and powers, within him. Mariana Palova weaves a wonderful coming of age story about our young hero who has to overcome h
Tasha Leigh
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
The premise of this novel was amazing and when I saw it, I just had to hit that request button. The cover was amazing and it had a relatively high score on Goodreads so I was definitely going to read this regardless of whether it was an advanced reading copy or I waited until its English release date. Going in I was hopeful. Unfortunately, while it was an OK read, I didn't find it to be fantastic.

The main character, Elisse is an androgenous 18 year old who grew up in India but has travelled to
Hannah
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, popsugar2019
"It seems Elisse has brought a hurricane in tow. Since he set foot here, the icy breath of the sea has begun to blow over the great sorceress New Orleans. Spits of rain threaten to conjure a storm, as if the boy, more than a human, were a dark omen of what awaits this land blessed by spirits."

Originally published in Spanish, La Nación de las Bestias: El Señor del Sabbath, this book is now available in English. I don’t know Spanish to read and compare, but it appears to be well translated.

I ha
Joanna Bennett
eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley

->Click for Synopsis<-

Since Elisse came to New Orleans from India a storm has been brewing. He left everything behind to find out the truth about his father and leave the creatures that haunt him. He will learn more than he thought in the swamps. Not everything wants him alive and he will have to battle his nightmares to stay alive.

One thing that drew me to this book was the cover. It is absolutely gorgeous. The synopsis also sounded amazing and
Halei | DegenerateReads
4.25 Stars. Review originally @ DegenerateReads here - https://degeneratereads.wordpress.com...

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this in exchange for an honest review!

Even after reading the synopsis, I genuinely had no idea what to expect going into this. The first few chapters don't give a very clear idea of what exactly is going on, but I think that's largely to do with the fact that the concept behind these characters, and the fantastical elements of this world are wholly unique—I've honestly
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5 rounded up to 4.

Palova gives us a creepy and dark horror novel that submerges you in a world of voodoo, beasts, and deals that never seem to be what they seem. Then again nothing is what it seems in Elisse's world. Not only that but she's given us an androgynous character and though there is love and pain and obstacles to cross, this book is no love story and that makes me enjoy it all the more because she promises to extend this world and Elisse so that you're left with a feeling of wanti
Saundra Wright
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young man comes from India with the demons of his dreams keeping him a state of fear, only to find out his demons are real, and he, himself is not quite human. An intriguing book that brings to life the city of New Orleans, with a gripping mystical edge, and a dive into Voodoo.

Elisse, now a young adult, spent most of his life in India in the care of monks. He knew neither of his parents, only that his father was an American who for some reason left his son behind when he fled the country. Now
Meghan
This book was received as an ARC from The Mage's Lantern LLC in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is basically Spanish mythology come to life. Elisse to me represents Odysseus and the weather and storms he brings across Spain torments the world and changes it forever. The book also had a Game of Thrones feel when it came to the war scenes but mostly I had a little Greek Mythology vibe while reading this book. While I was very
Susan
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nation of the Beasts is the first book in a new trilogy by Mariana Palova. Per the publisher, The Mage’s Lantern/International Book Publishers Association:

Originally published in Spanish, La Nación de las Bestias: El Señor del Sabbath enchanted Latin American readers, and now the first book of the Nation of the Beasts series makes its English language debut.

Although classified as sci-fi/fantasy Nation of the Beasts is, in my opinion, more horror with fantasy elements. Truthfully, I say this with
Runa Seidr
This book was so deep but so confusing. I found myself having to re-read sections because I just wasn't sure what was going on or what I was trying to feel. Sometimes this was a good thing but as the book went on it became a not so good thing...I found this book very difficult to complete because things broke down so badly. I'm not entirely sure if this was due to a bad translation or if the translator was simply having a hard time putting into English words what the author was trying to express ...more
Moondust Moth
DNF.

I'm enjoying the dark aspects of this novel and the book cover is just gorgeous, however I was very thrown off by the chapters from the Gods(???) point of view. The reading from the Gods perspective is odd, as if they were narrating at one of the people in real-time, though they remained completely unaware of their presence. Honestly it came off as predatory and stalker-like which made me uncomfortable. I thought that I had finally figured out who they were talking about/to, but then there w
Veselina
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange of honest review!
This book is so different. It well build world inside our actual world.
What about if some of us have an special skills and they are not really humans. Each one of them have an ancestor spirit and special role to play. This is the world Ellisse discovers very quickly after he arrives from India. He thought he is escaping the monsters that chase him but what about if something else is chasing
wandering.wolf.pages
This book was received through NetGalley via ebook download. The thought and opinions in this review are solely my own.

I thought that the over all story was creative and unique, and actually a little different from the fantasy books that I usually read. I also really enjoyed the darkness this book embraced. I did get a little bit confused at some points and I did find it a little challenging to really dive into it at other times.

Over all I am glad that I read this book, it wasn’t a book I just
Reading is my bliss
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I tried for many months to get into the book, to try and fall in love with a character so that the messy translation wouldn't ruin the story line for me, but I just couldn't no matter how many times I picked this book back up I couldn't get passed it and I absolutely hate leaving a book unfinished! 😞

I want to say thank you to net galley for providing me a copy of Nation Of The Beasts, Lord Of The Sabbath in exchange for an honest review. This is my personal opinion of the book.
Annarella
I'm so happy I requested this ARC because it's amazing.
It's a wonderful fantasy, well written and entralling.
I look forward to reading other books in this series.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
Lauren Kastermans
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combining a creatively littered literary experience, with plot-lines drawn directly from symbolism and imagery, Palova has effectively written a novel of terrifying creatures, and overcoming ones demons, by utilising tools always around.
Rachel Hunt
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I truly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to someone else. This book had so definite twists and turns in it
Josh
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy. Cow. This book was dark yet so intriguing and overwhelming all at once! Thrill through the entire thing I simply couldn’t put it down I finished in one sitting!! Reminds me of Bone witch!
Goodreads Librari...: Add an award, please? 3 21 Jun 15, 2019 10:06AM
Letras Macabras: La Nación de las Bestias, de Mariana Palova 6 99 Mar 24, 2017 01:41PM

• Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Josh's Justice (Bad in Boots, #4)
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Pink Ice (Ice #2)
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Nomeolvides
  • Skin (Hot Cops, #2)
  • The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking
  • Hungry For You
  • Fade to Black (Deadlines & Diamonds, #1)
  • Streamline
  • El complot mongol
  • Un cuento triste no tan triste
MARIANA PALOVA (Mariana Paola Urzúa Pulido) is an enthusiastic alchemist who, from time to time, likes to do a bit of magic. Born in Jalisco, Mexico in 1990, she decided to dedicate her life to a constant search for her own personality, which has led her to become a self-taught writer and artist.

With a special weakness for nature, occultism, folk music and a disastrous degree in graphic design, he

La Nación de las Bestias (2 books)
  • Untitled (La Nación de las Bestias #2)
“(...) llámenlo soledad o desesperación, pero a veces el mundo tiene que tratarte de la peor manera para hacerte anhelar lo mejor que existe en él. Es por eso que siempre he querido una familia (...)” 11 likes
“(...) vencer a la muerte no es solo sobrevivir: también se trata de decidir, por uno mismo, los motivos por los cuales enfrentarse a ella.” 8 likes