Start by marking “Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes, #1)

Ragdoll (Fawkes and Baxter #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  7,457 Ratings  ·  1,176 Reviews
One body. Six victims.

William Fawkes, a controversial detective known as The Wolf, has just been reinstated to his post after months of psychological assessment following allegations of a shocking assault. A veteran of the force, Fawkes thinks he's seen it all. That is, until his former partner and friend, Detective Emily Baxter, calls him to a crime scene and leads him to
Published February 23rd 2017 by Trapeze (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Ragdoll, please sign up.
Trapeze Books Danny initially wrote it as a screenplay, and it is very cinematic. His literary influence is JK Rowling! So if you like the Robert Galbraith books,…moreDanny initially wrote it as a screenplay, and it is very cinematic. His literary influence is JK Rowling! So if you like the Robert Galbraith books, and are okay with that level of violence, you'll enjoy this.(less)

Paromjit
This is an unforgettable crime thriller that you do not want to miss. It is packed with the darkest of humour with grotesque and gory crimes. It begins with scenes from the Old Bailey on the trial of the Cremation Killer, Naguib Khaled. The jury has arrived at its verdict and Detective William Fawkes (Wolf) loses it big time with his violent attack on Khaled. Wolf pays by being incarcerated at St Anne's mental hospital. Wolf is vindicated when Khaled is discovered with the burnt body of a young ...more
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
I can't stop thinking about this book, I have a severe book hangover, I just loved everything about it. I found it to be very addicting. This book is incredible! It is complex, thrilling, gripping, exciting and horrendous, all at the same time.

Ragdoll opens four years prior to the events of the ‘Ragdoll-Killer’ with a prologue surrounding another investigation which should have been a foregone conclusion. We are then thrown in at the deep end with Wolf being called to a crime scene whereby the b
Dana Ilie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ragdoll is a gritty story that draws comparisons to David Fincher’s superb neo-noir thriller, Se7en. Wolf is the broken lead, propelling the tale forward with his hidden link to the killer, but the viewpoint switches between the various unwitting players in the Ragdoll Killer’s sick game – the future victims trying to outrun their demise, and the police struggling to contain the spiralling situation.
Through all this horror though, there’s a streak of typical British humour that Cole shrewdly we
Larry H
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Despite the fact that I had a medley of Aerosmith's Rag Doll and Rag Doll by The Four Seasons running through my head while reading this book (not because of any plot points, just because my head is full of musical earworms), Daniel Cole's Ragdoll was a pretty fantastic, page-turning crime novel. It's a rarity when a book like this can surprise me, when my habit of suspecting nearly every single character introduced doesn't irritate me when the crime is solved, but Cole
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
A Traveling Sister read with Norma, Brenda and Kendall!!

3.5*

The premise for this book was great! One body - six victims. So you ask how does that add up? Well, it goes like this. Appendages from six separate people sewn together to create one gruesome body. Then left hanging like a hideous “ragdoll” for the police to find. This sounded super creepy (which I love)! But for me it just wasn't coming together. (I know, bad pun.)

Too many characters that I had difficulty following, and just couldn't
Norma * Traveling Sister
Traveling Sisters Group Review by NORMA, BRENDA, KACEEY and KENDALL!!

Norma’s rating:  4 stars!

Our second pick for our Traveling Sisters Group Read was RAGDOLL by DANIEL COLE and we all had varying thoughts on the ending with this one.

RAGDOLL (Detective William Fawkes #1) by DANIEL COLE is a clever, gripping, dark, and an action-packed crime thriller novel that was gory, thrilling, and exciting which moved along at a breakneck speed leaving us feeling a little spent after finishing this novel.

DAN
Kendall
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
First off, yay to my first traveling sister read with Norma, Brenda, and Kaceey! This was so much fun to read alongside some lovely ladies! <3 <3

Ok... now to get down to business. I was uber excited to read Ragdoll. A body that is found with the dismembered parts of six victims sewn together like a doll? Different arms, legs, and even finger sizes?! I was totally in! But, unfortunately this one just didn't have enough juice and punch to the storyline.

So many characters in this one that cam
Phrynne
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This one was so good I found myself reading bits of it out loud to anyone who wanted to listen. It is a very gory thriller and yet the humour in much of the dialogue made me laugh out loud! The characters too are charming especially the main character, William Fawkes or Wolf as he is better known. He is certainly someone I wish to know better so I am keen to read a book 2 as soon as possible.
The story is fast paced and full of action. There are murders galore with a disproportionate number of bo
Matt
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Daniel Cole emerges on the scene with this thought-provoking debut thriller that will have readers wondering until the very end. Detective Sergeant William Fawkes has recently returned to the Metropolitan Police Force after a significant absence. After one of his cases—the Cremation Killer—went to trial and the accused was found not guilty, Fawkes took measures into his own hands. The loss still haunts him and he feels the pain of it every day. When his colleagues are called to a murder scene cl ...more
Sue
RAGDOLL by Daniel Cole is a brilliant debut novel that began as a rejected TV screenplay, that was later adopted to a novel. I am so glad the story was told. This novel reminded me of SE7EN but with dark humour throughout. This novel is not for the squeamish.

“The Cremation Killer”, as the press had dubbed him had become London’s most prolific serial killer in history…27 victims in 27 days…each a female prostitute between the ages of fourteen and sixteen.

Then eighteen days after the final murder,
Rachel Hall
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
After all that hype surrounding Ragdoll, the debut release by Daniel Cole, the novel turned out to be ‘all fur coat and no knickers’, which for anyone not familiar with the idiom roughly translates as all style but very little substance. My two star rating reflects the tantalising premise which has such obvious potential and the unexpected finale, as in between this is all gimmick with one-dimensional flawed detectives, an uncoordinated plot and every crime fiction cliché in the book complete wi ...more
Carolyn
I think this is going to be one of the most memorable crime novels of 2017. It is dark and gory but highly unforgetable with flashes of black humour. First there is the 'ragdoll', the body composed of the body parts of six different victims stitched together. Who are these victims and why were they killed? Then there is the hit list of six people with dates of when they will be killed. Why these people and is there a connection with the ragdoll?

Thus starts a race against time to identify the bo
PattyMacDotComma
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of detective, crime, police stories
4.5★
Loved this one, and enjoyed the backstory from the author, who was inspired by the TV series 24 with the intrepid, indomitable, seemingly indestructible Jack Bauer, who dies, is resuscitated, etc. If you’ve seen it, you know.

Cole wrote this originally as a screenplay (and it would make a GREAT one) and finally turned it into a novel. What a good idea that was! I still think it would make the first of many movies about Detective William Oliver Layton-Fawkes, known by his initials/nickname, Wo
One body. Six victims. A body part from each sewn together making one complete body. It's a twisted crime, but there is more to it than Detective William Fawkes, also known as Wolf, initially thinks.

Wolf was the arresting officer at the center of a controversy. This is his first case back after recently being reinstated. He was suspended and spent time in a mental hospital following his assault of the Cremation Killer (killed 27 girls in 27 days between the ages of 14 & 16) when the verdict
Sharon Bolton
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Sergeant William Oliver Layton Fawkes hasn’t long been reinstated in his job with the metropolitan police. After attacking and harming a suspect in the Old Bailey, seconds after a not-guilty verdict, Wolf and most of his friends understandably thought his career was over. Sectioned, losing his home and his wife, Wolf’s life had pretty much ground to a halt. But then the same suspect was caught red-handed, on the scene of another murder and Wolf was largely vindicated. He was allowed ba ...more
Brenda
4.5s

The recently reinstated Detective William Fawkes (known as Wolf by all) was thrust into what the media dubbed the Ragdoll murder – a “body” made up of six different body parts. The killer had dismembered his victims, roughly sewing them together to make one – a “ragdoll”. But that wasn’t the worst of it…

Wolf’s ex-partner Detective Emily Baxter and her offsider, Detective Alex Edmunds worked the case, alongside Wolf and other team members. Finding who the six victims were was a priority; bu
Emma
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of those books you see all over social media with glowing reviews and all the stars.

I have to say that they're right. Gory, inventive deaths that very much reminded me of Chris Carter, with a clever plot, and some properly 's**t this could go either way moments', this book is going to be HUGE.

Loved the way it took turns I wasn't expecting and the last 10% was tense enough to bring on heart palpitations.

This better be the first in a series Daniel Cole, I want to see Wolf again soon!
Mackey St
Ragdoll is the debut book from author Daniel Cole and what a fabulous debut it is! I absolutely loved this book..... right up to nearly the end. I easily could have given this book a 5Star rating but the ending was so drawn out that he quite literally lost me. I ended up skimming the last pages just to finish and I hate that because the rest of the book was brilliant.

The story begins with the ending of the trial of the Cremation Killer, a serial killer that is thought to be wrongfully accused,
Lisa
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I cant stop thinking about this book I just loved every delicious minute of Ragdoll by Daniel Cole I just could not get enough of Detective William Fawkes found him a well written character who was a bit on the dark side which made the premise roll along at a fast pace, its gritty, dark compelling & quite frightening at times.

Ragdoll starts 4 years earlier with THE CREMATION KILLER it should have been an open & shut case but wasn't so in comes detective Fawkes ( AKA WOLF) to investigate
Astrid Langeveld
Ik mocht dit boek lezen voor de ls sterrenthriller leesclub in ruil voor een recensie. De omslagfoto is apart en past echt goed bij het verhaal. Het rode draad loopt ook door in het boek. Dit gaf een extra dimensie aan het verhaal. Iedere keer dat ik het draad zag zag ik de lappenpop voor mij. Het verhaal gaat over een omstreden rechercheur Wolf en zijn collega's Emily Baxter en Alex Edmunds die de meest bizarre zaak ooit moeten zien op te lossen. Een lijk dat aan elkaar is genaaid als een mense ...more
Louise Wilson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A body has been found with the dismembered parts of 6 victims stitched together like a puppet. Detective William "Wolf" Fawkes is assigned to the case with his former partner Detective Emily Baxter.

The killer taunts the police by releasing a list of names and dates that he intends to murder them to the media. Can the police catch the killer before they strike again?

Wow. What a wonderful, fast paced, gory filled, well thought out plot. There is a lot of curve balls in this debut novel. Once I sta
Liz Barnsley
Ha! Ragdoll is Fast, funny, brilliantly unpredictable and scarily horrific.

Loved it.

One of those books that a lot of people are talking about and you go hmm. Can it really be that good? Well if you like your crime novels to be indecently clever, terribly addictive, with a twist of horror and a huge dose of dark humour then yep it really can be that good.

It was.

ANYWAY characters? Yep got some of those in here, some utterly fantastic ones, none of whom seem to follow your usual tropes or if they d
Chloe
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Detective William “Wolf” Fawkes gets a call about a stitched up corpse made up of six victims named the 'Ragdoll'. He has recently been reinstated at his job after attacking ‘The Cremation Killer” in court. Wolf is assigned this case with his old partner Emily Baxter . Within hours of Ragdoll murder the killer releases list of names and dates that he intends to murder to Wolf’s ex wife ,a T.V . journalist with Wolf’s name being last on the list. Will Wolf and Emily catch the killer on time befor ...more
Melissa Souza
**Thank you to Hachette Australia and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

3 stars!!!

When I first checked out the synopsis for this book, I was completely reeled in, I have to admit. I am a huge fan of British crime and I was sincerely looking forward to reading a novel about a serial killer. I truly wanted to add this book to my list of favourites. But, unfortunately, the story didn't live up to my expectations and the reasons are as follows.

To giv
Susan
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel began life as an unproduced television pilot. However, as Daniel Cole was having no luck as a scriptwriter, he turned this script into a novel and I suspect it will soon see life in its original form, as this is a riveting, page turning, fast moving read – with great plot twists and lots of excitement. Although written originally for the screen though, Cole is an excellent author and this is a novel with depth and good characters.

The story begins in 2010, when Detective William
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club

I had seen Ragdoll on social media in recent weeks and immediately added it to my watch list, and I am so glad I did because it is absolutely brilliant!

I love gory and gruesome in books, and I make no apologies for that, so to open with a body made up of different peoples body parts definitely grabbed my attention! So much so that I devoured Ragdoll in less than 24 hours, I just couldn’t put it down.

When I was raving about it to my husband, he said it sounds like it could be a movie or a tv show
Jules
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, crime
Ragdoll was an okay read for me, but I didn’t love it.

I liked the 6-part victim, known as the ragdoll (shudder!), the fact that despite it being rather dark and gruesome in places, there was also some humour within the pages of this story. It made for an interesting mix. I also found Wolf (who is a man and not an actual wolf) to be an intriguing character. I saw Bon Jovi live in 1993, when I was just 15 years old, so Wolf’s t-shirt made me feel nostalgic.

I read this book due to others loving it
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Brilliant, exceptionally good. Don't miss it. Full review to come.
BookwormDH
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BLURB

A body is discovered with the dismembered parts of six victims stitched together, nicknamed by the press as the 'Ragdoll'. Assigned to the shocking case are Detective William 'Wolf' Fawkes, recently reinstated to the London Met, and his former partner, Detective Emily Baxter.

The 'Ragdoll Killer' taunts the police by releasing a list of names to the media, and the dates on which he intends to murder them. With six people to save, can Fawkes and Baxter catch a killer when the world is watchin
Brenda
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-ebook
Impressive debut of what promises to be a terrific & addictive series. This author is worth keeping an eye on. I'm already anticipating book #2. Giving this 4.5 stars.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover photo 2 24 Apr 10, 2017 02:39AM
At 33 years old, Daniel Cole has worked as a paramedic, an RSPCA officer and most recently for the RNLI, driven by an intrinsic need to save people or perhaps just a guilty conscience about the number of characters he kills off in his writing.

He has received a three-book publishing and television deal for his debut crime series which publishers and producers describe as “pulse-racing” and “excepti
More about Daniel Cole

Fawkes and Baxter (3 books)
  • Hangman (Fawkes and Baxter #2)
  • Untitled (Fawkes and Baxter #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“So tell me, if you’re the Devil, what does that make me?” 7 likes
“Seven dead bodies and, so far, the only murder weapons are an inhaler, flowers and a fish.’ Simmons shook his head incredulously. ‘Remember the good old days when people had the decency to just walk up to someone and shoot the bastard?” 5 likes