Start by marking “The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen

The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen (Cambridge Companions to Literature)

Leading scholars present a comprehensive and up-to-date guide to Jane Austen's works in the contexts of her contemporary world, and of present-day critical discourse. Beside discussions of Austen's novels and letters there are essays on religion, politics, class-consciousness, publishing practices, domestic economy, style in the novels and the significance of her juvenile ...more
Published May 13th 1997 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen

Grace Tjan
This is a collection of essays by Austen scholars, a few of which are very academic (including an analysis of Austen’s style using a mathematical computer program), but is generally accessible to the general reader. There are analysis of Austen’s whole oeuvre, including her short fictions, unfinished novels and letters, discussions about the historical and social backgrounds of her novels, and even speculations about the earlier versions of some of her most famous novels. I find the latter, an e ...more
Koeeoaddi
Nov 04, 2015 Koeeoaddi rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane, 2015
Excellent book, if you like this sort of thing. I'd just rather read the source material again and again and again. Which probably explains why I am a fan-girl and not a scholar.
Dec 29, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Of the several essays I read in this book I enjoyed them and thought they did a good job of pointing out key features in the novels. There were a couple of essays that I was a little shocked with the mannerisms of the authors - they didn't seem dignified enough, or they were using some slang that I would never get away with putting in my paper. But I learned something from every essay I read and I thought it was a good way to get knowledge about a certain subject/element in the novel that I migh ...more
Sophia-Elizabeth
Dec 17, 2011 Sophia-Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Very good about Jane Austen as a professional woman writer, and about her books, it was a great book to read and use quotes from to my big exam paper! A very good piece of work for reading and writing about Jane Austen.
It was a deligth and very informative about Jane Austen as a professional writer, and about her books.
Jane Greensmith
Mar 01, 2010 Jane Greensmith rated it it was amazing
One of the best set of essays on Austen's work around with contributions from all my favorite Austen scholars. I've read most of the essays at least 2-3 times, and I always reread the novel discussions after I reread one of the fabulous six.
Feb 13, 2017 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read several of the essays in this book. I especially liked those that explained all the financial intricacies of the novels. . . . Why oh why must literature scholars write such hard-to-read prose though? I have a suspicion they build up their own egos by writing the most convoluted sentences they can.
Patrick
Jul 19, 2017 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
While not altogether even, generally a very good set of essays.
Maggie
Mar 05, 2013 Maggie added it
Brownstein, Rachel M. Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice P. 50 "It's first brilliant sentence takes the tone of a Johnsonian essayist pronouncing on the nature of universals and truths . . . Takes the tone, of course, so as to mock it." "expresses the gossip's fantasy that women exchange or traffic in men, and not vice versa. The novel takes off, in other words, from Mrs. Bennet's notion (or is it only what Mrs. Bennet pretends to believe?): that rich men exist for peop ...more
Jules
The Companion is a very informative mix of essays on subjects as wide-ranging as discussions of Jane Austen's novels themselves, her particular style, class and money in her writings, and Jane Austen cults and cultures which have developed over the years.

Some essays are really very interesting, well written and easily accessible, yet sadly some others not quite - I especially find Claudia L. Johnson's part on the aforementioned cults and cultures to be extremely confusing. Be that as it may, thi
Lynne-marie
Dec 21, 2009 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it
I read this exceedingly scholarly volume in pieces, simply becasue it was too much for me to swallow all at once, proving, I guess that I am not Cambridge material. (!) I learned a great deal about JA; was spurred to read other things by other authors of her time by the section that spoke of her influences and about publication at the time and how it influenced her; and, also followed up on reading her letters and the fragments that never became novels, all thanks to this volume. Since I read it ...more
David
May 02, 2012 David added it
Wealth? Land? Love?.

"Author's Rule" (Birth Right/Nobility- Law of Land/Emancipation of Serfs/Emancipation Proclamation). Customer can lose land bid.

Freedom isn't a reward, it's a right. Suffucating freedom ends country. If tyrants don't want to reward with rights. Society ends, and new one must begin, or lawless Society begins*.

The 21st Century decision.

Reward or lose Product.

*Charity enables re-freedom/escape from prison. Find non-tyrant customers. Non-paying tyrants, and bad contracts/don't
Rose
Aug 15, 2012 Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen
This is an excellent resource for Jane Austen's life, writing style, novels, short fiction, letters, and career as a female writer, as well as the time period she lived in including essays on class, money, religion, and politics. I highly recommend this book as the first place to start reading if you're interested in Jane Austen or her work.
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Waaay too academic for me. I guess I'm just not that smart to think of the tangential relationships to slavery in Austen's work that these people did. The Frank Churchill essay was priceless in this regard. I did like the first essay about how Austen would have gotten paid for her work: that was historically accurate and informative. I just need to remember I'm not a literary critic.
Chelsea
A very academic take on Austen. If you're studying her work, writing a paper about her, or you want historical context for her novels, this isn't a bad book to pick up. Not so much a fun read, even for the hard core Janeites.
Alex
Dec 16, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
An engaging book.
Whisper19
Sep 01, 2010 Whisper19 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litthe-nonfic
Very useful for those who want to find out more about Austen's life and work, and those who need references for their own work.
Dec 03, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Having loved Austen for a long time this book is brilliant for those who want to get a greater understanding of Austen's work.
Leah
Jul 26, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Was ok. Some essays were really good while others boring or discussed ideas you already knew.
Charity U
Sep 12, 2012 Charity U rated it liked it
Mmmm, okay. Didn't really enjoy it a lot thought it had some interesting parts.
Liiz Almendarez
Liiz Almendarez rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Marijasjagi
Marijasjagi rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Laura Falby
Laura Falby rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Sophie Seehausen
Sophie Seehausen rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Okonta Paulo
Okonta Paulo rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Lynette
Lynette rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Silvia Grigolini
Silvia Grigolini rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
C
C rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
  • The World of Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen
  • In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders

Cambridge Companions to Literature (1 - 10 of 204 books)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
  • The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
  • The Cambridge Companion to Fantasy Literature
  • The Cambridge Companion to Kafka (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Herman Melville (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Mary Shelley (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Literature and the Environment
  • The Cambridge Companion to Tom Stoppard (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Shelley (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Utopian Literature