Start by marking “From Helmand to Heywood” as Want to Read:
From Helmand to Heywood

From Helmand to Heywood

This is a first class enjoyable British black humour read where the interplay between colleagues and opposite sex allow for a lot of laughs. Starting in Camp Bastion in Helmand Province in Afghanistan through the Lower Pennines in England where Fred has unwittingly created the UK No. 1 Dogging spot it ends in Tenerife in the Canaries. It follows on from preceding title Did ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about From Helmand to Heywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Helmand to Heywood

Siobhan
Sep 28, 2016 Siobhan rated it liked it
I’d like to start by saying thank you to the author for sending me a copy in exchange for a review. Whilst I’ll admit that it did sound interesting, it is far from my normal read. Yes, I try everything, but like so many I have preferences. Recently my preference has been for fantasy, and due to that I had to take a step back before picking up this one to read. I also feel as though being stuck in this fantasy-only rut lessened my enjoyment somewhat.

This is a very British book, one of those wher
Sam
Sep 17, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, shorts, adventure
This is a very British dark comedy that follows Fred, Sid and company as they leave the army and head out onto civvie street with disastrous and immensely funny consequences. At first all seems to be going well for both Fred and Sid but then Fred's past catches up on him and he finds his war with shoplifters is not quite all it seems. Then even worse for Sid, he wins the lottery and finds that his grifter lifestyle is in tatters. A very entertaining read that includes a re-working of the Did Soc ...more
Julie
Oct 12, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
This is a tale of Sid, Besharat & Fred etc. which included a reworking of Did Socrates get pissed? which I have also read. It is very tongue in cheek and has some very funny acronyms that will really make you smile as they are so apt and well thought out. The characters were steadily introduced and for a while we skipped from one to another but it all came together successfully in the end. I enjoyed the book and will reread it soon.

I received a free copy of this book free from the author. Th
Chris Braid
Oct 09, 2016 Chris Braid rated it really liked it
Fred and Company march on

From Helmand to Heywood expands upon and continues the short (very short) and amusing (very, very amusing) novella, Did Socrates Get Pissed?
As well as containing a slightly reworked version of 'Socrates', there are more management waffle acronyms, (BREEXIT, BASSTARDS, PBP PTIPTO and LOPJ among others.) There's more Guerilla Gardening and more, much more, laugh-out-loud moments as Fred, Sid, Darren, Nick, Besharat, Bert MI6 etc try, not always successfully, to make the be
Kevin
Sep 28, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
From Helmand to Heywood is a light and fun read. It basically follows former soldier Fred and the assortment of characters around him. Initially it feels more like an anthology of short stories but some of the threads come together more as the book progresses and unite the narrative - it makes for an easily accessible book that draws you in.

The humour is nicely varied. There's a pretty dry and subtle feeling throughout, but it's punctuated with a few few well placed punchlines, sometimes as sub
Steve Binks
Jan 03, 2017 Steve Binks rated it liked it
From Helmand to Heywood seems to be like a diary and as such feels like a summary of events. This means it's very easy to read. Probably suited to those people having to do a daily commute to work. Open it up, read a couple of chapters to catch up the progress and then close it down until the next day.
Claudia
Dec 19, 2016 Claudia rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways, humour
2.5/5

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://adailycloud.blogspot.co.uk/

I won this book in a giveaway on Goodreads.

This book is completely different to anything I've read before and in all honesty, I was expecting to give it 1 star as I started as it's just not something that really appealed to me personally. I wanted to try something new, which is why I gave it a go.

I was pleasantly surprised however, by how quickly I finished it and how often I was giggling to myself at the puns and jokes within.

The book fo
David Crosby
Dec 15, 2016 David Crosby rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a pretty good tongue-in-cheek trek through the post-war lives of our characters. The situations were fun and in the most part believable, and there are characters I would return to. The structure of the book seemed a little disjointed but was this the merging of two books? Des should write something bigger from start to finish, I think I would read that too. Oh, but without footnotes, please...

I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads Giveways.
Louise Evans
Nov 14, 2016 Louise Evans rated it it was amazing
A really hysterically funny book. I started laughing from the first page and tittered at least once a page. Highly recommend
Angela
Oct 28, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
Humorous satire but slightly marred for me by irritating short paragraphs and extensive footnotes.
Maureen
Jan 12, 2017 Maureen rated it liked it
This is a Goodreads Giveaway. I'm not sure what to say about this book! To a certain extent, I did enjoy it - it was definitely not my normal read - but I found it a bit disjointed and I was not desperate to get to the end to find out what happened.
Mark Sodergren
Jan 06, 2017 Mark Sodergren rated it liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. It was enjoyable, lots of chuckles along the way and can be read in an evening. Nuff said.
Nancy Townsend
Dec 31, 2016 Nancy Townsend rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads, humour
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways - thank you very much - but this has not influenced my review.

A daft story about Sid and Fred leaving the army and their consequent attempts at civilian life. I'm not sure I got all the humour but some of the acronyms were hilarious and I loved Fred's job in security at the Superstore with his kettling and 'helicopter support for the blind spots'. Brilliant! With a storyline veering towards Tom Sharpe farce at times. it's a fast, fun re
Nov 04, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
I do have to thank the author for contacting me and offering me the chance to read this book in exchange for a review. I will then go on to say that I did warn that I do only give honest reviews.

I'm afraid I did not enjoy this book at all, the style of writing did not flow and the constant footnotes are extremely annoying.

The story line I found fragmented and I will be honest can not find one bit that was to me funny.
I have seen that some say only a British person would understand the humour bu
Oct 17, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of Good Reads First Reads
Having thought of myself as some -one who likes to try any type of book this was way out of my comfort zone. Not being something I would normally even take a second glance at I decided to give it a well deserved try.
But try as I might it was not for me - I just couldn't get into it.
The story of Fred, Sid and cohorts who had left the army and joined civvie street just did not gain my attention.
I could not say this had me laughing out loud at a
Wendy Livingstone
Nov 25, 2016 Wendy Livingstone rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining and humorous storyline, and is a dark British comedy. This is the story of Sid, Fred and company when they leave the army, and return to civilian life. This is not as easy as it sounds, and there are disastrous and humorous shenanigans along the way, especially when Fred’s past catches up with him, and Sid wins on the lottery!
This is a new author to me, and I found this to be a huge switch from my normal genre, but I was hooked and entertained throughout this story.
Robert
Nov 27, 2016 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I felt this book had a bit of a Tom Sharpe about it. The characters were blended together in an absurd mixture and the events were haphazard. I thought that the stories changed too quickly we would just come to terms with a particular plot when it suddenly changed. Plots could have been expanded but were dropped; if more detail were added then I think I would have enjoyed this book more.
Alice
Oct 06, 2016 Alice rated it liked it
*review to follow*
C
C rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Dion Petrie
Dion Petrie rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Elaine Dale
Jan 05, 2017 Elaine Dale rated it really liked it
to use an oxymoron this book can be described as macabrely humorous, read it in 2 days, laugh out loud, pouring scorn from a foreign perspective on all things British but in a softly lampooning affectionate way, sure you will recognise yourself and others you know among these side-splitting descriptions dripping with sarcasm and irony.
Louise
Louise rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2017
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Fatima
Fatima rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
SALLY WHITE
SALLY WHITE marked it as to-read
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Helen Horton
Helen Horton marked it as to-read
Laura Dobb
Laura Dobb marked it as to-read
Bacsa
Bacsa marked it as to-read
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Keith Dixon
Keith Dixon marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Carlene
Carlene marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Maria Dhillon
Maria Dhillon marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Patricia Gordon
Patricia Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Araminta
Araminta marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Sarah Herbert
Sarah Herbert marked it as to-read
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
Lee Hardy
Lee Hardy marked it as to-read
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Richard Dobinson
Richard Dobinson marked it as to-read
Patricia Whittaker
Patricia Whittaker marked it as to-read