Start by marking “How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics” as Want to Read:
How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics

How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics

Published July 1st 1995 by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics

Leslie
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: help-lit
My agnostic, organized-religion-loathing self used to scoff at the whole 12 step thing. But the events over the last year made me realize how much I needed help and for how long it had been overdue. I really wish I would have known about Al Anon years ago - just thought it was some hip lingo for AA and not a separate program for the friends and family. In this one year, Al Anon has changed my life in enormous ways for the better. You're never really "done" reading this book. It stays with you an ...more
Dragonfly
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The encouragement and support I have found with my home Al-anon group is amazing and cannot be something to get from the book. It's a great book for guidance, but it's one thing to read it and another to experience it live with real people. I have been blessed to meet a wonderful sisterhood I have found with my women's group and this book is a good guideline, not just for those affected by alcohol (past or present), but really anyone who have found themselves to be a co-dependent (which is commo ...more
vid
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this because my counselor made me. I hated reading it but it was a good book for me to read. I don't think I will practice the program but I am happy to know it is there and currently looking into ACA.
Jenny
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book helps you to realize that you're not alone and that others may share the same experiences as you have had. Highly recommended for people who are in Al-Anon or thinking about joining a group. Even if that isn't the case, it gives you insight about alcoholism.
Joe
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I bought this book as a sort of update. I am the former spouse of a person with deepseated anger issues. I had participated in Alanon back in the 1990's but had fallen away from it, and since my divorce from that person with recovery issues, I learned that she had become heavily involved in Alanon to sort through things related to her own Family Of Origin. So I bought this book because I wanted to fully understand the attraction of The Program.... she is now going mulitple times per week....When ...more
Michelle Daly
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Alot! One thing that really struck me is that many people that are being controlled by others and allowing it think they will finally be free when that person dies but the effects of living with a dysfunctional person last even after they die or move to differnet cities or change spouces. The only way to break the hold the behaviour has had is to get in recovery and understand the pattern and break the cycle of how you react.
Christine CC
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A solid guide through the steps, traditions and concepts of Al-Anon. It's indispensable.

You are welcome to join our GoodReads 'Friends of Lois,' group where we'll discuss AFG (Al-Anon Family Groups) literature.
Mary
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life. I plan to read it many times over. =) Even if you did not grow up in an alcoholic home, this book might provide some insights...
olga-maria
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
super helpful overview of the program, with a lot of people's stories in the last section. i prefer the front sections, that focus on the tools of steps, traditions, concepts, and slogans.
Cara
Interesting; I never had any idea that alcoholism could still affect families for generations after the last drinking alcoholic has died. I was very confused about this for awhile, but Codependent No More seems to have cleared it up.

One thing I find puzzling: why does there have to be powerlessness and a higher power to save us?

Anyway, I feel like the codependency book really covered this topic enough for me, and I've finished most of the interesting parts of this. No way I'm reading several hun
Patty
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So grateful for a book that teaches about recovery for friends & family of alcoholics. It's a book of hope, guidance & a light at the end of what was a very long dark tunnel that seemed to never end.
Samantha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Sometimes funny, and sometimes terrifically sad, this was a nice primer on the al-anon program. Some of the stories were kind of boring. I'm sure I could read this in 10 years and enjoy different stories than I do today.
Chrysta
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent piece of Al-Anon literature. I haven't read the whole book cover to cover but I really enjoy looking up topics in the index and reading the experience, strength and hope on applying the Al-Anon ideas to my recovery. Highly recommended!
Akilah
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Found a lot to connect to in each section/chapter/story. I read it from cover to cover. Great for those in or thinking about joining Al-Anon and want to know just what the program aims to do and how people have benefitted from it.
Bj
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my Big Book for Al-Anon and If used in conjunction with the Traditions and Concepts in my Daily Life, I do get Peace and Serenity along with my Daily Devotional books..... And of course my meeting's and Sponsor.....
Kathleen O'Mara
It's always a good thing to review material like this to remain emotionally healthy.
Hannah
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book and so helpful like all Al-Anon books. I was blown away by Chapter 11 - Detachment, Love & Forgiveness. That is truly a powerful piece of literature!
Jo-Ann
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful support for people who have had a friend or family member with alcoholism. And honestly - who doesn't?
Marty
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stories for and about persons who have alcoholic friends or family members. Good to hear 'how it works'.
Holly Smith
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Life changing and every time I open it I learn something new about myself. I love Al-Anon.
Pamela
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is courageous for anyone to write about a major disease and its effects on the family from their vantage point. Recovery is important even if the drinker keeps drinking or is no longer around.
Sally
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and helpful to understanding alcoholism and addiction. Also many pamphlets that are beneficial.
Lindsey
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life, literally and figuratively. I am particularly grateful for the audiobook version (narrated by other grateful members of Al Anon) which feels akin to an on-demand meeting at any time of the day or night (or long car ride). Alcoholism is a family disease and the kindest and most compassionate thing you can do for yourself (and the alcoholic) is to get help. Start here.
Katlyn
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
You can’t ignore the religious or sexual politics contextualizing the program... but there’s no doubt this has helped many people. Despite my frustrations with it, it has helped shed light on my own patterns, and I’m grateful for that.
Margie Shelton
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many good thoughts for parents of addicts.
Molly
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So incredibly helpful. Dull writing style, but the writing is not the important part. The CONTENT. Now that is important.
Alexandra Chauran
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a huge tome, but it includes plenty of food for thought. A lot of it was repetitious. Like, why do Al-Anon groups spend so much time reading aloud about the nuts and bolts of the non-profit's bureaucracy? The individual stories were at times painful, but many time insightful. I look forward to other Al-Anon and Alateen literature.
Aly
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Unless you actively attend al-anon meetings do not expect the book to give you the answers you ask. Only through time and your own introspection into yourself and sharing with other families and friends of alcoholics can you gain the wisdom and strength to make changes, accept powerlessness, and give your alcoholic back the responsibility of taking care of themselves while learning to care for yourself and get your life in order. It is possible, but buying the books is not enough to get you thro ...more
Gail Longton Harper
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Very helpful advice. I did not relate to every tenent or every story. I'm pretty sure that no one would. As an analytical thinker, I am grateful to be able to take what has worked for so many people and make it work for me. As a visual learner, I am grateful to be able to read what I have heard in meetings.
Christine
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you have issues due to anothers alcoholism or addiction. An easy read and is very positive and inspiring.

• Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • Came to Believe
  • Living Sober
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • As Bill Sees It: The A.A. Way of Life...Selected Writings of A.A.'s Co-Founder
  • Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • Hedges: Loving Your Marriage Enough to Protect It
  • Quantum Love: Use Your Body's Atomic Energy to Create the Relationship You Desire
  • A Museum of Early American Tools
  • Restore. Recycle. Repurpose.: Create a Beautiful Home
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Holy Sex!: A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving