Start by marking “Alice Munro: Writing Her Lives: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Alice Munro: Writing Her Lives: A Biography

Alice Munro: Writing Her Lives: A Biography

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This is "the" book about one of the world's great authors, Alice Munro, which shows how her life and her stories intertwine.
For almost thirty years Robert Thacker has been researching this book, steeping himself in Alice Munro's life and work, working with her co-operation to make it complete. The result is a feast of information for Alice Munro's admirers everywhere.
By
Published November 22nd 2005 by Douglas Gibson Books

James F
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
A biography of this year's Nobel laureate in literature, although written in 2001, revised in 2010. Her biography is nothing surprising if you've read any of her books, which are all partly autobiographical. This concentrates a lot on the publishing history of her books and her relationships with her editors, rather than her private life; yet although talking about the books it has little of substance about the stories themselves. It also quotes far too much from reviews of her books. OK, but no ...more
Sara
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
You have to really love Alice to enjoy this book, but I do, so I did. I appreciated the thoroughness and level of detail, but also the way Thacker allowed himself to come to some of his own conclusions. By the time you reached his opinion, you trusted it because he'd already proved how unbelievably well-researched the text is. He may literally have read not only every single thing she has ever written, but also everything that's ever been written about her. I bow to him.
Marguerite
May 24, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: Aspiring short story writers and Alice Munro fans
Recommended to Marguerite by: I found it on sale at Coles and grabbed it.
This book gives stunning insight into how a writer of genius takes everyday dross and adolescent embarrassment and spins it into literary gold. It prompted me to reread the Alice Munro collections I already owned and scan bookstore shelves for the ones I didn't. (I could have borrowed them from the local library, but then I would have had part with them after three weeks.)
Mariana
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm glad to read this biography of a great writer. I bought this and a volume of her short stories at Munro's Books in Victoria in August. I learned about the business of being a writer. I look forward to reading her short stories.
Jayne
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Full of detail, it is a careful telling of times, events and talent of an immensely private person. One can tell it is the product of a dissertation. A valuable resource.
Sylvia Abrams
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A scholarly review of Alice Munro's writing career, not much personal life after the dissolution of Munro's first marriage. The author's encyclopedic knowledge of Munro makes thie tome slow going.
Pauline Saunders
Jul 12, 2014
emily
Jan 19, 2012
Danielle
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2012