Start by marking “Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the Twenty-first Century” as Want to Read:
Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the Twenty-first Century

Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the Twenty-first Century

Can we find ways of living that are sustainable and deeply satisfying, that ensure economic and political democracy, and are passionate about beauty, elegant design, and the wildness of nature? The contributors to Sustainable Planet say we can, and offer 16 remarkable visions of how to get from here to there, including:
* Specific proposals from citizen and labor coalitions
Published January 20th 2003 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about Sustainable Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sustainable Planet

Start your review of Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the Twenty-first Century
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sustainability
So good--and the trail of crumbs that led me to this book.
I read Juliet Schor's Overworked American, and then the Overspent American back in '98. Both books spoke to me--I was fresh out of college, I was scared that I didn't have (and secretly, not want) a plan. I had no intention of being overworked. Overspent...yes, debt is bad. What is the plan?

You cobble together a personal plan, but when Sustainable Planet came out in 2003, I have to say, I was a bit relieved. Sustainability isn't just abou
Rachel
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environmental
I feel like if you want to be an environmentalist, humanist, or conservationist of any kind, this is the book you should read. Even if you have been doing the work for a couple of years you still have so much to learn, and the authors in this book are from rather diverse backgrounds offering viewpoints and information from varying pockets of society. Although you may not agree with each author included, there are enough ideas and proposals for the future of our planet and species that it is like ...more
Christian
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sustainability
I don't often like essay collections because I prefer more scientific or scholarly writings (I'm a nerd). However, this was a really broad collection. I expected for more redundancy than there is. For example there's a chapter about changing our perception of time and one about global economics. I have a pretty good knowledge of sustainability from a more geographic/economic perspective but I still found most of this book valuable. I would imagine that anyone with interest and even working knowl ...more
Brian Smith
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is a mix of mawkish idealism (Piper's "In Praise of Hometowns"), practical eco-progressive plans of action (Daily's "Five Policy Recommendations") and shrewd politico-cultural analysis (Rep. Velazquez's "In Search of Justice"). If you have inchoate eco-sympathies, this book will lend substance to your views and help round out some ideological edges. However, if you are looking for a book to convert a friend, I'd try a different route.
May wong
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This covers a lot of topics about the way we live and how it can positively or negatively affect the planet. Focused on what we can do as individuals, it provides solutions and insight into making the place we live in thrive for generations to come.
Marina
May 22, 2009 is currently reading it
Book of essays, so I'm reading one at a time. I'm learning about what I can do to make this world a better place for my children.
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf, nonfiction
I read half of this book for an environmental book club. The book looks at solutions. I had to return it to the library, but hopefully I will finish it some day.
Jamie Abrams
Kendall
Aug 22, 2007
Samantha McGuire
Sep 18, 2017
Juliet Schor’s research over the last ten years has focussed on issues pertaining to trends in work and leisure, consumerism, the relationship between work and family, women's issues and economic justice. Schor's latest book is Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child and the New Consumer Culture (Scribner 2004). She is also author of The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure and The ...more

News & Interviews