Start by marking “The Pill Book” as Want to Read:
The Pill Book

The Pill Book

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
For more than two decades, millions of consumers have trusted The Pill Book to provide official, FDA-approved drug information plus guidelines from leading pharmacists. Each drug is profiled in a concise, readable, and easy-to-understand entry, making The Pill Book the perfect reference when you have questions about the medications your doctor prescribes.

The most up-to-dat
Mass Market Paperback, 12th Edition, 1248 pages
Published April 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1982)

Duane Donecker
This is an excellent reference for someone who needs to look up types of pills quite often. I myself have facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, and if you have ever watched a Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, well that's me, however my type of muscular dystrophy, (facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy) is some what rare and unlike most people you see on the telethon suffering from some sort of muscular dystrophy who are young children; facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy usually comes along ...more
Amen Aguemon
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I work in a group home as a care giver. Also my mother suffers from mental depression so I'm always reviewing medications that are proscribed to her. At work This book is very useful because I'm required to know the kind of medications my individuals or clients take. Let say they take so many weird named Medications like "Fingolimod" it is a S1P receptor antagonist. It reduces the number of MS attacks and delays the worsening of physical disabilities associated with MS. I know ...more
Chris
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-longer-own
Although though I once trusted the "Pill Book", ever since I found an everabundant use of Drugs.com, I have had to veer away from using "The Pill Book". This book definitely didn't give me the information I needed, and I never had it in hand when I did. I had to always run up a flight of stairs to get to it, but with my smart device and computer always "at the helm", I was always covered in things. It might have been a favorite book a bunch of years ago, but not anymore. It does have some really ...more
Jamesirwin19
It's a decent reference for the homeowner. I'm guessing that there are better and more in depth references available for the professional. My friend Robyn, a pharmacist and the smartest person I know, recommended this to me and I take her recommendations seriously. The down side of this book is that I've had to hide it from my mother, a confirmed hypochondriac. :)
Jay
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: healthcare consumers, people taking medications
Of the non-clinical medication guides, this has been the one I've found most helpful. The photos of pills are useful, and the descriptions are detailed but accessible to public readers.

I do wish there was more information listed about off-label uses and toxicity, but that's where the PDR comes in.
Robyn
Good pics in the middle leaves. We use this (just to have for reference) at Walmart for pill ID purposes. Although I personally use & prefer online sources such as LexiComp or Facts & Comparisons, since those online references are updated more frequently. (Sorry to post this twice, I hit the wrong thing on my iPhone.)
Danai Brown
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good book if you want something to have at reach without the internet. However the best that I use on line is Drugs.com. I still like to have the book and use it, I may be old fashion but what if there is no internet... lol
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous reference book about, you guessed it, pills. Lots of info on drug interactions and thorough coverage of side effects. Call me crazy, but I love reading about prescription drugs, especially as we become more and more dependent on them in our society.
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, health
This should be helpful for people on meds -- and these days, who isn't? -- who need to know more about what they are taking -- and who doesn't? I wish this book listed the rare side effects of meds, like the way Lexapro occasionally makes the taker's hair fall out. Otherwise it is pretty useful.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-health
This 15th edition lists numerous medications. It contains information about the drug to include use, side effects, and interactions. Physical descriptions and color pictures are included. It is a very handy reference for anyone using pharmaceuticals.
Kristena
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
A great reference for addictions counselors and anyone else who needs to know about medications.
Michael
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Pills. All of them.
Michelle
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
This has been an excellent reference book for medications but I need to update my edition.
Dana
At Mom's.
Hilary
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
everyone should have this book. it's really useful. i use it a lot as a social worker.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peeps who wish they had gone to med school and like to self diagnose
Shelves: educational
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I find pills in weird, random places and bring them home so I can look them up. I also love to read about side effects. I should've been a nurse...
tootie
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Indispensible, but make sure you always have the latest edition.
Cindee
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good reference book and much less bulk than the PDR.
Patricia Atkinson
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
learn all you should know about the medications that you are taking what not to take with them and side effects.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is great for informtion on prescription drugs. It helped us to pinpoint a breathing problem my dad had from his eye drops. It is a lifesaver!
Magena
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I say that I'm currently reading this because it's on an endtable and every few days I crack it open for various reasons.
Every home should have a copy.
Roos
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: healthsciences
Good and Complete Pill Book.
John Garcia
Great reference book
Melinda
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Good source for checking precription drug info.
Bailey
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jfkdkcjxjcjdidk
Alys
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Perhaps I should have an updated version. Fortunately, all of my prescriptions so far are included in this book. Ninth edition, May 2000.
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Shelves: reference
Not as informative as a drug book, but still, same rules applies.
Garrod Sieveking
i use this on a daily basis
  • The American Medical Association Family Medical Guide
  • The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide To The Curative Power Of Nature's Medicines
  • The Merck Manual of Medical Information
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Thumb Index))
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Scholastic Children's Dictionary
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind  Body
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • Dictionary of Theories

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99