Start by marking “Wynken, Blynken, and Nod” as Want to Read:
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (Through the magic window )

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
WYNKEN, BLYNKEN AND Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe–
Sailed off on a river of crystal light
Into a sea of dew . . .

So begins Eugene Field’s lovely bedtime poem, which tells of three wee fishermen who sail up to the stars, and a boy who imagines it all before he drifts off to sleep. Field’s timeless text has lulled generations of little listeners into dreamland, and
Published May 13th 2008 by Schwartz & Wade (first published March 9th 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Many a night my mother would read this poem to me as I fell asleep...funny how you remember all the little things your mother did just because she loved you.
Amanda
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
I'm a sucker for this rhyme ever since I remember that Mrs. Wilson had memorized it in the Dennis the Menace movie and it was kind of her way of showing how sad she was over never having children (if I remember right). I was impressed because memorization has never been my strong suit and it showed deep yearning in her soul. Ok, I'm done being melodramatic.

I love the art in this book and the story goes beyond the short version of the rhyme that we all know. In the end it even explains what Wynke
Casey
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod is a lullaby/poem. The watercolor pictures in this book are very beautiful and rich. This lullaby leads you to believe that Wynken, Blynken, and Nod are three little boys. These three little boys sail across the starry sky in a wooden shoe, and catch fish (the stars are fish) with their nets of silver and gold. The end of the book reveals the real identities of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.

Activities:
1)Discuss lullybies with the class. Read the book to the students, and disc
Amy Forrester
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful starlit illustrations accompany the classic bedtime poem by the American poet and literary critic, Eugene Field (1850-1895). In Westerman’s version three children sail off on a wooden shoe over a small town and up to the old moon. They cast their nets of silver and gold to catch the herring fish that live in the sky. Then the children sail back to their bedroom and tumble into bed.

“Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes, / And Nod is a little head, / And the wooden shoe that sailed th
Jill
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Do you remember the classic poem by Eugene W. Field that begins:

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe---
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea..."

Well, to put it simply, Giselle Potter's new picture book version of this poem is absolutely stunning. The rhythmic verse of the poem that always stays in my head long a
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a review for the early 1980s publication of Eugene Field's famous poem -- it's the one with illustrations by Susan Jeffers. Her artwork rocks. I don't understand why this version is out of print, but it is. Jeffers' artwork is a lovely blend of the reality of a game of imagination. Her children are convincingly kid-like and her artwork captures the essence of the poem.
Dianna
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My two-year-old son especially likes the pictures of the moon in this edition: on each page its face has a different expression.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, vocabulary, phonological awareness & narrative skills. Beautiful illustrations and tremendous adventures before returning home to crawl into bed.
Alan Culler
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book led me into dreamland so many times that i used to be able to recite the entire book. It's gorgeous and magical.
Miles Mathews
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book complement the poem nicely! This is one of my daughter's favorite books!
Amy
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Cooney's illustrations add charm and delight to this lovely poem by Field!
J
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this to some older kiddos and they seemed to like it.
Amaal
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
Author: Eugene W. Field; illustrated by Giselle Potter
Date of Publication: 2008
Genre: Poetry Rhyme/Lullaby/Fantasy/Picture book
Annotations: This book contains a beautiful lullaby sung by a mother to her child. Let us take a journey with Wynken, Blynken, and Nod through the night sky.

A challenging little book this is—for it isn’t until the end that you realize the true meaning and journey of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod. There’s one part in the book where the way the w
Angie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
When I was a zookeeper several years ago, I worked with three Brazilian golden-rumped agoutis* named Winky, Blinky, and Nod. Someone mentioned that the names had come from a story; I never followed up on it, but today I ran across this book and was delighted to have that little piece of my past pop up. The illustrations in this book are lovely, giving just the right sense of eerie nighttime magic. I greatly enjoyed this short picture book.

*An agouti is a type of rodent found in Central and South
Navy heart HamlinNBCT
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ole English Literacy ner' fades
Nor do the writers they inspire....
Imagine 1889 and the moonlight peeks through
The feather penned Field imagines
A lad and lassie
Somewhere oft in the wave of immigration
Paces the creaky ole floors of worry
Ahhh dears
Ner' Fear
Ole father Field is composing ...
In need of a wee babe's
Slumber
Hence Wynken, Blynken and nod
Wynken and rub those baby brown eyes no more
Blyken and thou tears begin to dry up
Nod thou self to sleep
As thy three set off on a moonlit night
Upon the o
Jamie
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This classic poem tells the story of three children dreaming of sailing through the sky in a boat made of a wooden shoe.
This version of the well known poem provides beautiful pictures to accompany each verse of the poem. The pictures add in a cat as an additional character, which gives the reader something to ponder while they look at the pictures.
Children of all ages will enjoy reading this book. Young children can have the book read to them, and they will enjoy the flow of the words and th
Cassie Houck
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Dutch poem that is the story of 3 fisherman who want to fish for the stars. Wynken, Blynken, and Nod have many adventures during the night in their wooden shoe boat as they meet the moon and the wind.

I loved this story because of the rhyming scheme and the illustrations. The one I read is a different illustrator but it is not listed on goodreads. The illustrator was Giselle Potter.

I would probably have this book in my classroom, especially if we were learning about different cultures
Carmine
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Was a gift this Christmas and has become one of Ozma's favorite read alouds. She chimes in on the lines she has memorized with gusto, "Into a sea of dew!" "the fisherman three: Wynken, Blynken and Nod." or today she decided the Herring fish were really "Lerring" fish.
At her request I am making her a flannelboard version of Wynken, Blynken and Nod, but it will probably only have a couple pieces- the moon and the three flying in their shoe.

I like how the text was hand lettered and integrated into
Edward Creter
I wish I knew this story long time ago,, and now i'm 45, so this story reconnected me with a childhood which, in my case, is still possible. Wynken, Blynken and Nod sail on their bed to a magical place in the unicerse where fish swim in the moonlight and the moon is actually a friendly guy. This poem reminds us that the universe is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed. I hope GR members will pick up on it. If anything I learned from kids books just like this one, it's never too late to enjoy a happ ...more
Kerri
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was most excited about this, of all my sons Christmas presents!!! I wasn't too crazy about the illustrations but he was completely captivated!!! Lots of things to point out in the illustrations. Halfway through the story he took my face in his hands and said "my mommy, you can teach me so many things in this book" it was one of the most touching moments I've had with him. The story is a perfect short bedtime story and an instant favorite in our house!!!
Robert J
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is a retelling of the famous 1889 poem by Eugen Field. The illustrations are what i liked best about this book. Giselle Potter did beautiful work using a combination of pencil,ink,watercolor, gesso, and gouache. My first introduction to gouache was in Balloons Over Broadway and later A Splash of Red which were both illustrated by Melissa Sweet. I have read how this method is done and still don't understand it but I do know that I love the results.
Julie
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite children's works, and one which my mom read to us. The book contains three stories -- Wynken, Blyken, & Nod; The Sugarplum Tree; and The Gingham Dog & Calico Cat. All of these are lovely bedtime stories with excellent illustrations. The stories are essentially long poems and a have a lyrical rhythmic quality. The small boys sailing the sea is great and the Sugarplum tree tantalize the child's imagination with thoughts of candy in their dreams.
Jessica
May 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, but the artwork is a little creepy.
Mellanie C
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite lullabies, so I enjoyed reading and singing it with the little ones at my school.
Cara
I like the lullaby, but I didn't care for the illustrations in this version.
Jill
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-fic
Nice illustrations, except that I felt that W, B, & N were kind of creepy looking.
Wanda
Jan 25, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Cover love!
Gayle
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
one of my all time faves
Joe Bertelloni