Start by marking “A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System” as Want to Read:
A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System

A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System

(Wooden Books)

A most unusual guide to the solar system, A Little Book of Coincidence suggests that there may be fundamental relationships between space, time, and life that have not yet been fully understood. From the observations of Ptolemy and Kepler to the Harmony of the Spheres and the hidden structure of the solar system, John Martineau reveals the exquisite orbital patterns of the ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Walker Books (first published January 1st 2000)

Katie
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
I am all for books of little anecdotes concerning the wonder of outer space, so I thought this book would be right up my alley. This book is part of the Wooden Books series, a beautifully-put-together collection of volumes covering topics - according to the back jacket - from feng shui and grammar to love, 'the miracle of trees,' dragons, and weaving. Hmmm.

There are some very neat points in this book, but things tend to fall too far towards the New Age numerology side of the spectrum for me to
Dan
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cool read. You know there's more going on than what meets the eye, but sometimes its hard to find the right source for learning that. Well, this is the right source. I won't spoil any details, but its incredible that musical notes can be found in the cosmos. I wish someone would add an artistic twist to these notes and we could hear the song of Jupiter! It took billions of years for us to evolve, and we're just now beginning to understand what created us.

On a side note, after seeing so man
jeremy
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
i want to like the wooden books series, given their gorgeous illustrations and slim, accessible formats, but find them to be rather flat and unfulfilling.

a little book of coincidence in the solar system presents some intriguing ideas regarding planetary orbits and mathematics - but strays much too far into the realm of pseudo-new age thinking to make it palatable. it reads like intelligent design for the sandal-wearing set.
Nancy
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. Martineau is a visual artist and an explorer in the finest sense. His ability to illustrate the intricacies of the universe, through prose and pencil drawings, illuminates his readers' understanding of the cosmos. He blends visual aspects into this book, small and large, of planetary rotations set in direct mathematical correspondence to musical octaves and scales.
Ellen Martens
What an amazing book! I had never considered the "coincidence" that our Moon is exactly the right size, and exactly the right distance from our planet, to cover the disk of the sun in eclipses. It is neither larger nor smaller to our eyes. There are lots more coincidences covered in this book. The Wooden Books series bring a fresh perspective to our experience of the world.
Colin McPhillamy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The music of the spheres has puzzled some of the best minds in history. If you love mystical arithmetic, this is one to read.

You know how the Sun is 400 times larger than the Moon, right? And the Moon is 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun? And that is what makes an exact total eclipse possible. Ah, but did you know that the relative orbital periods of Venus and the Earth describe the same relationships found in Fibonacci numbers and the Golden Section? These and other fun facts abound in
Bruce
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The coincidences referred to in the title are the arrangements of the planets and sun of our solar system. This book points out many measurement relationships that correspond to platonic solids, musical ratios, and other geometric relationships familiar to students of sacred geometry.

There are lots of pretty spirograph like pictures mapping orbits against eachother, as well as showing other relationships.

Reading this book definitely gave me the sacred geometry flavored buzz of pleasure.

I see in
David
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scrable fans
i find that thease little books that fit in to any coat pocket is something to read on the train,plain, car..(passinger) this little gem is about the planets and the info that relates to earth and humans there is a range of them from numbers, shapes, ley-lines.etc..
Sean Luciw
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend gifted me this book a long time ago and it 's been very inspiring. Lots of pretty diagrams and numbers.
Emma Nation
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for about 13 years and it is never far from my fingertips. It describes fundamental relationships between the bodies in our solar system and how they can be explained mathematically. Additionally, these relationships have musical correlates, as do the frequencies emitted by the planets themselves and the frequencies of their synods, sometimes producing exquisite two-dimensional patterns over time. The final diagram depicts the earth's orientations as drawn against a celestia ...more
Judy Gray
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful.
John
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! but where does it take me? What can I do with this data? However I just love the beauty of the math.
Chris Marchan
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a one of a kind book. If you fondly remember the illustration from one of your high school science books of Kepler's depiction of the platonic solids - one inside the other, then you have a feel for the many layered wonders revealed in this book.

Author John Martineau has assembled a lot of evidence here for at least a divine plan of unspecified origin. He show us the mathematical perfection seen in the layout of the solar system and the proportional relationships that cannot be accident
Lemur
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea that the planets orbit the sun at distances that are geometrically defined. There are many beautiful little facts and coincidences in our solar systme that point to patterns that must exist throughout the universe. He doesn't explain them and I found that to be a little frustrating, but it is self-admittedly a little book.
Tameca
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, and plan to check out other books from the Wooden Books publisher. The only thing I wanted more of was some more of the math and physics behind the images. Martineau touches on this information but does not go too far in depth. Sure, that information would have been over my head, and it would have taken tons more pages to explain, but I craved that, nonetheless.
Brian Jones
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Highly annoying book. Modern numerology at its worst, where we are to be shocked at the ratios of various parameters of the Solar System. However, it completely overlooks the fact that you'll always find some ratio if you compare enough things in enough different ways. When 6:11 is a meaningful ratio, you know you have the wrong book.
Sally
Nov 23, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-nature
getting ILL
M.E. Neidhardt
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little book with snippets of information that will broaden your thinking about the universe and make you want to read more.
Tippy
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful little book, keeping it bedside to reread often & keep me humble & in wonder.
F. Zahra Hassan

• Islamic Design: A Genius for Geometry
  • How the World Is Made: The Story of Creation according to Sacred Geometry
  • Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven
  • The Temple of Man: Apet of the South at Luxor
  • Turbulent Mirror: An Illustrated Guide to Chaos Theory and the Science of Wholeness
  • The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
  • Sacred Geometry: Deciphering the Code
  • Poetry of the Universe
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Math for Mystics: From the Fibonacci Sequence to Luna's Labyrinth to the Golden Section and Other Secrets of Sacred Geometry
  • Blackstock's Collections: The Drawings of an Artistic Savant
  • Tripping : An Anthology of True-Life Psychedelic Adventures

Wooden Books (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • The Alchemist’s Kitchen: Extraordinary Potions & Curious Notions