Start by marking “Pussy: A Reclamation” as Want to Read:
Pussy: A Reclamation

Pussy: A Reclamation

It just may be the most pejorative word in the English language. It’s the ultimate salacious smack to a woman’s dignity, used to hurt, humiliate, and dehumanize. No one calls you a “pussy” when they want to tell you how radiant you look, how capably you work, or what an inspiring life you lead.

That’s about to change. In this remarkable book, Regena Thomashauer, founder of

Published September 20th 2016 by Hay House, Inc.

Alanna Jane
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
It's really too bad .... This could have been a really good book. Unfortunately, there are just so many things wrong with it, that despite some really good content, I'm not entirely sure I'll make it to the end.

First, while trying so hard to convince the reader that they need to wholeheartedly fight/leave the status quo and join a female revolution, the author uses decidedly masculine and aggressive tactics to do so.

Second, hardly anything anywhere is all-or-nothing. Not every woman everywhere
Dana
Definitely made me think; sparked my memories of why I write what I write, why I believe what I believe, and reminded me that Divinity comes from within.

Read it with an open mind, allow the messages to resonate with you as they will. You aren't obligated to view things the way Ms. Thomashauer does, but I do think that if you're honest with yourself, this book will add some strength to your journey.

Lastly, keep in mind, the "self" in self-help. As is often said, "nothing changes until you do." T
Andrea Marley
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took a lot of courage to purchase, open and read this book,..and I feel like I was greatly rewarded with a renewed sense of power and self-worth. I loved the mythology from Greece and Japan, stories that I might not have heard elsewhere. This book unpacked and expanded some long held beliefs I didn't realize I kept.
I challenge the women in my life to read this book!
Randi
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I accidentally misunderstood what this book was about going into it, but even still, once I found what it was actually about, it wasn't much better.
I assumed it would be a feminist read about reclaiming "pussy" and our bodies in society, but it's actually about the importance of loving yourself, your vagina, and your sex life. As I started to read it, I just assumed I wasn't the targeted audience, and that was why I wasn't enjoying it. But as I went further, it turns out, the author ho
Courtney
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by a woman I deeply admire, who has completed many courses with Mama Gena and been changed by them. She is fabulous, and I thought if this is part of what has her be fabulous, I am going to engage with it.

And I was into the premise--a reclaiming of what has been deemed shameful by patriarchal culture. I'm all about that.

And I was reassured by the disclaimer at the beginning about the text and the curriculum it describes (the programs of The School of Womanly Arts) being in
Alisa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some information, but mostly it reads like a long sales pitch for her course. Lots of repetition as well. I skimmed after the first 2 chapters.
Izabela
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for the true feminist at heart!
Some great truths bathed in a all-too-sweet aroma of super success..or I am just picky...
Julie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
[Note: this was written by my good friend, Lindsay McLaughlin. I was planning to write a review, but hers was so good, I asked her permission to share it. Enjoy.]

"Pussy: A Reclamation" is a provocative book gathering a woman's sensual pleasure experienced through the clitoris, vulva, vagina into a word, pussy, and presenting it as a portal to the transcendent, Divine Feminine. This resonates, because it connects with woman's reproductive, life-giving abilities, her intrinsic, deep ties to the cy
Samantha
I didn't finish the entire book. I got to the end and more or less skimmed it. A lot of the information presented was definitely positive, some of the information seemed superfluous, and some of the information I did not connect with. I wouldn't recommend this book for everyone. You definitely have to enter reading this book with an open mind.
Denise
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Great premise and inspiring

Fantastic ideas but they are repeated many times. Would be nice if other examples of power rather than only sexual manipulation were discussed. I still got a lot out of it and it's worth the read. You just have to make it work for you personally.
Sophia Ciocca
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book #2 on my own personal feminine/self-worth/sexual liberation quest (following the amazing Women Who Run With The Wolves).

The content in this book is POWERFUL. While the book is pretty repetitive in theme, the change I saw in myself throughout reading it was absolutely revolutionary. I went from cringing every time I read the word "pussy" and feeling scared to take out the book on the train ... to feeling empowered, turned-on, and excited to be part of the revolution towards embraci
Caval Olson-Lepage
I had to read this for a book club.

At first I was very intrigued with this book. It started with a very powerful message. It reminded of the vagina monologues taking power and turning a word with a negative connotation positive. While some of her theories on Rupture and Radiance struck a cord with me overall I couldn't grasp onto the idea that having mind blowing orgasms would lead to a more successful life. Her idea that I was to only do things that would generate pleasure for me before anyone
Kem
This is definitely a great pro-woman book that offers a lot to think about in terms of why our society is the way it is, starting with why "pussy" is often used as a bad word. There are a bunch of interesting stories woven in as well, and it's clear that the author really did her research. My only complaint is that it began to sound too fanatic somewhere around the middle. That sort of turned me off from really taking the message in like I was at the beginning. Aside from that, I'd recommend thi ...more
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous is a kind word for this book. Do not read if you're a staunch feminist looking for accurate, cultural, historical teachings and insights about lady parts and lady roles.

The only reason I read this was because a Fabulous lady handed it to me. She has a network of other Fabulous women who support her that she found through "Mama Gena's" programs. I've been in awe of this energy, and curious.

You know what? If this book is what has to be read to resonate with some women to give them the
Josie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is on one hand radical, and on the other hand made very pop-cultury and digestible.

But, I read it twice, I want to go meet the author, and I think the practices are useful.
Melinda
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this on a recommendation from a friend, and I can see how this book could be "essential reading" for some, but it was not for me. I think it could have been written in about a quarter of the space, with additional chapters for those who wanted more. But I think that's just me - (fortunately) I don't share the negative experiences of the author (and other women with similar experiences) that necessitated her to go on this personal journey of discovering self-love and appreciation and enlig ...more
Selisa Loeza
I want to begin that I do recommend every woman read this book as it will help you connect/reconnect with your feminine. I thoroughly enjoyed the exercises and believe Mama Gena's intent of empowering women and sisterhood is magnificent.

However, I think many of her claims were extreme. Statistics/studies used only to help her arguments but not used in whole and overall too much hate against our society.

I believe in feminism but I don't believe that pussy is all. I believe greater spiritual exist
Maci Hamdorf
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her theories about using your body, self and femininity to empower you as a woman. However, some advice wasn't the best. For example, buying a dress the price of a car, in my opinion, won't help you find yourself.
Bijan Rosalia
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book set me free!!!! Its what I have been searching for. Adore it, beautifully written..
Alexandra Jamieson
Empowering book for women who want to better understand and love their bodies.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}
This was not what I was expecting. Review soon!
Julianne Larsen
Dare to go there. So much truth on a difficult subject we are taught our whole lives to ignore.
Tiffany
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-pick
Could’ve been way better. Hard to overlook her narcissism (e.g., her boyfriend died so that she could find herself.) Not what I was looking for and not recommended.
Cecilia Rydberg
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, something every woman must read ❤ ...more
Leah Hanley
Elizabeth
Whoa. This book was a revelation. I found myself nodding along with so much of the information within. Thomashauer put into words concepts I've long believed but couldn't voice. This book goes beyond just being a typical feminist tome and into the realm of spiritual awakening. The author beautifully elevates a woman's sexual core to the realm of dynamic divine creation, a bridge between the worlds, as it were.

And while I'll admit that at times the blatant pussy worship can get a little uncomfort
Andrea Tyler
I'm all here for the subject matter. I loved the discussion of reclaiming the inner goddess and just be open to to sensuality. For too many of us, our sensual natures were demonized and we learn to live apart from them. Reclamation is so necessary.

Execution wise, I felt the book went on for too many pages and also, at one part, I felt she was quoting Audre Lorde directly and not crediting her, which did not sit well with me. Beyond plagiarism, there are the racial implications of such erasure.

Bu
Kim
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, yogatta
I loved the premise and the full-on backing of tapping into the divine feminine wisdom within us all. At times, the tone was a little over the top, but I recognize that as my level of comfort and not hers. I fully agree with other reviews that it wasn't as LGBT friendly as stated; it felt a little more like an after thought at times, and I am by no means the most proficient in this discussion. But Mama Gena's message is one I can get behind: tapping into your true self (be it your soul, your pus ...more
Olivia
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish every woman in my life would read this book. It is *transformative*. It showed me how to tap into parts of myself that I’d forgotten, or never known were there.

I carry myself differently. I think differently. I approach the world differently. All with more love and a greater sense of possibility. How can you beat that?!

It also isn’t perfect. Her take on history is often convenient at best. And the text unnecessarily — and oddly, given the subject — heteronormativity. But I still believe
Shayna
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Read it in a week! A new and empowering perception of connecting intuiton and “pussy” together. Author empowers women, talking about sisterhood, abuse, inferiority, suppression, control, and so on. She tells us of myths and legends which I loved! This is definately a book every woman needs to read. I think my favourite part was about how woman need to reunite to one another. In our world today woman scratch and hiss at each other- don’t get too close she’ll backstab you- and t ...more
“They had to learn to see me as a sensual woman who desired a full, passionate life—not just a mother whose best years were behind her and whose future was limited to caring for grandchildren and other family members” 1 likes
“So many of us were taught to keep a lid on anything and everything outrageous. To just turn it off. We turn off our life force, turn off our feelings, turn off our sensuality, and as a consequence, we turn off our power.” 0 likes