Start by marking “Pussy: A Reclamation” as Want to Read:
Pussy: A Reclamation

Pussy: A Reclamation

It just may be the most pejorative word in the English language. It’s the ultimate salacious smack to a woman’s dignity, used to hurt, humiliate, and dehumanize. No one calls you a “pussy” when they want to tell you how radiant you look, how capably you work, or what an inspiring life you lead.

That’s about to change. In this remarkable book, Regena Thomashauer, founder of

Published September 20th 2016 by Hay House, Inc.

Start your review of Pussy: A Reclamation
Alanna-Jane
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
It's really too bad .... This could have been a really good book. Unfortunately, there are just so many things wrong with it, that despite some really good content, I'm not entirely sure I'll make it to the end.

First, while trying so hard to convince the reader that they need to wholeheartedly fight/leave the status quo and join a female revolution, the author uses decidedly masculine and aggressive tactics to do so.

Second, hardly anything anywhere is all-or-nothing. Not every woman everywhere
Randi
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I accidentally misunderstood what this book was about going into it, but even still, once I found what it was actually about, it wasn't much better.
I assumed it would be a feminist read about reclaiming "pussy" and our bodies in society, but it's actually about the importance of loving yourself, your vagina, and your sex life. As I started to read it, I just assumed I wasn't the targeted audience, and that was why I wasn't enjoying it. But as I went further, it turns out, the author ho
Dana
Definitely made me think; sparked my memories of why I write what I write, why I believe what I believe, and reminded me that Divinity comes from within.

Read it with an open mind, allow the messages to resonate with you as they will. You aren't obligated to view things the way Ms. Thomashauer does, but I do think that if you're honest with yourself, this book will add some strength to your journey.

Lastly, keep in mind, the "self" in self-help. As is often said, "nothing changes until you do." T
Andee Marley
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took a lot of courage to purchase, open and read this book,..and I feel like I was greatly rewarded with a renewed sense of power and self-worth. I loved the mythology from Greece and Japan, stories that I might not have heard elsewhere. This book unpacked and expanded some long held beliefs I didn't realize I kept.
I challenge the women in my life to read this book!
Courtney
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by a woman I deeply admire, who has completed many courses with Mama Gena and been changed by them. She is fabulous, and I thought if this is part of what has her be fabulous, I am going to engage with it.

And I was into the premise--a reclaiming of what has been deemed shameful by patriarchal culture. I'm all about that.

And I was reassured by the disclaimer at the beginning about the text and the curriculum it describes (the programs of The School of Womanly Arts) being in
Julie
[Note: this was written by my good friend, Lindsay McLaughlin. I was planning to write a review, but hers was so good, I asked her permission to share it. Enjoy.]

"Pussy: A Reclamation" is a provocative book gathering a woman's sensual pleasure experienced through the clitoris, vulva, vagina into a word, pussy, and presenting it as a portal to the transcendent, Divine Feminine. This resonates, because it connects with woman's reproductive, life-giving abilities, her intrinsic, deep ties to the cy
Alisa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some information, but mostly it reads like a long sales pitch for her course. Lots of repetition as well. I skimmed after the first 2 chapters.
Caval Olson-Lepage
I had to read this for a book club.

At first I was very intrigued with this book. It started with a very powerful message. It reminded of the vagina monologues taking power and turning a word with a negative connotation positive. While some of her theories on Rupture and Radiance struck a cord with me overall I couldn't grasp onto the idea that having mind blowing orgasms would lead to a more successful life. Her idea that I was to only do things that would generate pleasure for me before anyone
Denise
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Great premise and inspiring

Fantastic ideas but they are repeated many times. Would be nice if other examples of power rather than only sexual manipulation were discussed. I still got a lot out of it and it's worth the read. You just have to make it work for you personally.
Regan
Dec 27, 2018 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Not for me. While I can totally see how this would lift and empower some women, the ideas didn’t feel all that revolutionary for me and the delivery was a bit grating.
Sophia Ciocca
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book #2 on my own personal feminine/self-worth/sexual liberation quest (following the amazing Women Who Run With The Wolves).

The content in this book is POWERFUL. While the book is pretty repetitive in theme, the change I saw in myself throughout reading it was absolutely revolutionary. I went from cringing every time I read the word "pussy" and feeling scared to take out the book on the train ... to feeling empowered, turned-on, and excited to be part of the revolution towards embraci
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous is a kind word for this book. Do not read if you're a staunch feminist looking for accurate, cultural, historical teachings and insights about lady parts and lady roles.

The only reason I read this was because a Fabulous lady handed it to me. She has a network of other Fabulous women who support her that she found through "Mama Gena's" programs. I've been in awe of this energy, and curious.

You know what? If this book is what has to be read to resonate with some women to give them the
Kem
This is definitely a great pro-woman book that offers a lot to think about in terms of why our society is the way it is, starting with why "pussy" is often used as a bad word. There are a bunch of interesting stories woven in as well, and it's clear that the author really did her research. My only complaint is that it began to sound too fanatic somewhere around the middle. That sort of turned me off from really taking the message in like I was at the beginning. Aside from that, I'd recommend thi ...more
Marva
So, I get it, okay? A woman’s superpower is her p*ssy. I loved the overall theme of this book about reconnecting with your unique sensuality as a woman. However, there were times when I felt overwhelmed by the aggressiveness of Mama Gena’s lessons (of which, there are plenty). I would so attend the School of Womanly Arts, even though there is a possibility that I wouldn’t finish and run screaming out of there. I love what she teaches, but am mildly turned off by how she does it.

Mark Siegel
While Mama Gena's tone may not be everyone's cup of tea, this vibrant celebration of Yoni Power is treasured by so many that it has to be on this bookshelf. Empowering, affirming, and for many, eye-opening, this one goes to the source. In every sense.
Connie Hall
May be overstated, but possibly helpful for lots of women out there...the foreword and endorsement from Christine Northrup, MD, was what moved me to read it. Takes "Love Your Body, Love Yourself" to a whole new dimension!
Josie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is on one hand radical, and on the other hand made very pop-cultury and digestible.

But, I read it twice, I want to go meet the author, and I think the practices are useful.
Casey Phillips
I was REALLY excited about this book. I hate the word pussy, but reclaiming it I could do. There are a lot of good thoughts about self-care, -worth, -love. Encouragement to really embrace your amazingness.

The book, however, is way over the top. It reminds me of the "name it and claim it" theologies of cult-like religions. I kept thinking and hoping I would like it, but I did not. The writing also reflects other self-help books that come off a bit arrogant with little self-awareness. For people w
Melinda
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this on a recommendation from a friend, and I can see how this book could be "essential reading" for some, but it was not for me. I think it could have been written in about a quarter of the space, with additional chapters for those who wanted more. But I think that's just me - (fortunately) I don't share the negative experiences of the author (and other women with similar experiences) that necessitated her to go on this personal journey of discovering self-love and appreciation and enlig ...more
Madeline Ross
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most insightful books that breaks down the patriarchy and what any woman who is half awake can easily see happening all around her. It’s so easy to forget our connection with divine feminine source of power, to be ashamed of our bodies, forget our own innate wisdom etc, etc. This book has helped me re-awaken to my own power. Thank you, Regena, for writing this groundbreaking book full of truth, wisdom and PUSSY!!
Selisa Loeza
I want to begin that I do recommend every woman read this book as it will help you connect/reconnect with your feminine. I thoroughly enjoyed the exercises and believe Mama Gena's intent of empowering women and sisterhood is magnificent.

However, I think many of her claims were extreme. Statistics/studies used only to help her arguments but not used in whole and overall too much hate against our society.

I believe in feminism but I don't believe that pussy is all. I believe greater spiritual exist
Leila
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I was unable to read this book in its entirety from page to page as it did not capture my attention or hold my interest. Skimming through to get her message was enough for me. I liked the title and the ideas/exercises in Chapter 6 (rupture) and 7 (radiance). The appendix (the womanly tools and arts) summarizes most of the terms and concepts in the book. These pages: 40, 74, 116-117, 126, 146 were interesting as well.
Maci Hamdorf
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her theories about using your body, self and femininity to empower you as a woman. However, some advice wasn't the best. For example, buying a dress the price of a car, in my opinion, won't help you find yourself.
Alexandra Jamieson
Empowering book for women who want to better understand and love their bodies.
Bijan
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book set me free!!!! Its what I have been searching for. Adore it, beautifully written..
Julianne Larsen
Dare to go there. So much truth on a difficult subject we are taught our whole lives to ignore.
Christina
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just reread this powerful book....must read for women who have been automatically running their lives under the patriotic system
Cecilia Rydberg
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, something every woman must read ❤️
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}
This was not what I was expecting. Review soon!
Tiffany
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-pick
Could’ve been way better. Hard to overlook her narcissism (e.g., her boyfriend died so that she could find herself.) Not what I was looking for and not recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman Within
  • Vagina: A New Biography
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Women's Anatomy Of Arousal: Secret Maps To Buried Pleasure
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • Becoming Cliterate: Why Orgasm Equality Matters—And How to Get It
  • Sacred Success: A Course in Financial Miracles
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life
  • The Enlightened Sex Manual: Sexual Skills for the Superior Lover
  • Mary Magdalene Revealed: The First Apostle, Her Feminist Gospel & the Christianity We Haven't Tried Yet
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • Untamed
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
  • Warrior Goddess Training: Become the Woman You Are Meant to Be
  • The Wild Woman's Way: Unlock Your Full Potential for Pleasure, Power, and Fulfillment
  • The Magdalen Manuscript: The Alchemies of Horus & the Sex Magic of Isis
  • Reveal: A Sacred Manual for Getting Spiritually Naked

News & Interviews

“When she designs, and then lives, her own destiny, a woman naturally sets right everything wrong in our world.” 2 likes
“They had to learn to see me as a sensual woman who desired a full, passionate life—not just a mother whose best years were behind her and whose future was limited to caring for grandchildren and other family members” 2 likes