Start by marking “One Good Thing (Ten Beach Road, #5)” as Want to Read:
One Good Thing (Ten Beach Road, #5)

One Good Thing

(Ten Beach Road #5)

Published April 25th 2017 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about One Good Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Good Thing

Judy Collins
4.5 Stars. Southern storyteller, Wendy Wax returns following Sunshine Beach #4 Top Book of 2016 with my favorite summer series ONE GOOD THING (#5 Ten Beach Road). We continue the journey with the gals, each at a crossroad both personally and professionally, with critical decisions to be made.

A tale of four women trying to rebuild more than their lives. Before you can fix it up, you might have to tear it down…

From friendships, humor, loyalty, and self-discovery — each of the characters is l
Kristy
Maddie, Avery, Nikki, and Kyra are all reeling from various events in their lives and have returned to their home, Bella Flora, a restored 1920s mansion in Florida, to lick their wounds. Their famous TV show, Do Over is in disarray, embroiled in legal battles with the network, who wants to take away the show and all the hard work they've put into it. They are busy trying to promote the Sunshine Hotel and Beach Club, which they'd renovated in hopes of starting a similar Do Over show or documentar ...more
Kathryn
I enjoyed the audiobook version of this novel, Amy Rubinate again did an excellent narration. This was less about the women doing up a place and endeavouring to sell, rather their relationships with the people closest too them. Marriage for one pair, a step back for another, one step forward for another. While there were a few things left hanging I still felt there was closure and I wouldn't need another in the series.
Laurel-Rain
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before you can fix it up, you might have to tear it down...

Embroiled in a battle to regain control of their renovation-turned-reality TV show, Do Over, Maddie, Avery, Nikki, and Kyra find themselves holding tight to the frayed ends of their friendship and relationships.

Maddie must face the realities of dating a rock star once again topping the charts and dealing with her hapless ex-husband, while Avery is caught up in family drama even as she attempts to transform a tiny cottage into a home f
Cindy Roesel
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Midlife crisis come in all shapes and sizes.
You know summer is close, when a new Wendy Wax, novel is published! ONE GOOD THING (Berkley) is being called one of summer’s must reads. This time, Maddie, Avery, Nikki and Kyra are at the end of their ropes and holding on tightly to their fraying friendships and relationships. It seems the girls are in a battle to regain control of their renovation-turned-reality show, “Do Over.” And if there’s anyway it’s going to be saved, the girls are going to hav
The Lit Bitch
I am knee deep in summer reading and what better book to read at the beginning of summer than something with the word ‘beach’ in the title and a cocktail on the cover?

Ok this one didn’t have ‘beach’ in the title but the series does so I figured close enough!

One Good Thing is the fifth book in the Ten Beach Road series and it did get me in the mood for summer.

So I almost passed on this book for one reason….the cover. Yes it has that ‘summer’ feel to it but for me it just wasn’t eye catching. The
Cheryl
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I have visited with Maddie, Avery, Nikki, and Kyra. It was good to catch up with them again. A lot has happened. Well for me as I stated it has been a while. I am glad to see however that the ladies are getting along and for the most part their lives are good.

If you are first timer to this series, then, you might want to start with the first book in this series. I say this because you will really appreciate the women and their relationships better and therefore, connec
Mindy Tysinger
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Wax is one of my favorite authors and this is such a great series. This is book #5 and it's the best yet. I have to say that the last book in the series left me a little disappointed but this one came back with a bang. The show "Do Over" seems to be at an end so the book focuses more on the four ladies and their relationships. I actually loved the fact that this books steered away from the same story different location. Maybe that's why the last book fell flat. The one fear that I have lov ...more
Gail Glogowski
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was this book a joke or a scam? Come on. Someone please tell me. I always enjoyed the Wendy Wax "Do Over" books but this one was awful! There wasn't even a do over project in the book. Just an apparent push for tiny homes I guess. The book was so redundant! It could have been written by a middle schooler! Even the behaviors of the characters were immature. Apparently the author thinks it's normal to bottle up fears and feelings rather than voice them. This got old real fast. Who does this? Ridic ...more
Donna
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Florida, friends Maddie, Nikki, Avery, and Kyra fight a legal battle to get their renovation show back on the air while all are experiencing some type of problem in their personal relationships. Maddie is seeing a rock star who wants her to come with him on tour. Avery is dating a man whose teenage son is acting out. Nikki is pregnant with twins at age 47. Kyra is having trouble making mortgage payments while bringing up her 3 year old son and doesn't want help from his famous actor father. T ...more
Michele
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Good Thing was quite the mix of issues, emotions, and (eventually) solutions for our four main characters: Maddie, Avery, Nikki, and Kyra. With a HFN ending, friendship and tenacity was what ultimately paved the way, along with some good old perseverance.

I’ve been meaning to start this series for some time now after hearing all the buzz about it online. And I can see why readers are drawn to these books. Wendy Wax has a lovely writing voice–one that is easy to read but is certainly not lacki
Nightswimming
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
in two words: underwritten and lazy. i am so sorry but these series is completely over. uninspired developments (and very very little happens!) and formerly independent sassy main characters ruined by making them whiny and indecisive about everything. Leaving of course the book open to another one though.
PS: is it me or that poor aged rockstar has only one song to sing when he is featured in the book? lol
Nicole
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment in this series. I was a little disappointed that the ladies weren't rehabbing a new property but I still enjoyed these characters entering a new phase of their lives. I hope there are more stories to come.
Vickie
Ahh, the last book in a really nice series! Quite a few loose ends were tied up and some serious decisions were made. I still do not like Nikki but I enjoyed getting to know her friend Bitsy. I'll miss these women but they are now strong, more sure of themselves, and are heading down quite a few interesting and healthy paths! Good read!!

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Elizabeth Hein
This would be a good book for a week at the beach. It is as light as a fruity cocktail. There are a lot of characters to keep track of but the relationships are genuine and sweet. If you liked the first four book in this series, you will like this one too.

Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with a review copy of the novel.
Caro
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It would be very difficult to find one good thing about this book
Erica
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction, 2017
These characters are all awful. Except the dog. He has some redeeming qualities.
Lori
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I’ve enjoyed this series so much but this one was a little more of a struggle to get thru. The 3 year old baby y’all drove me insane. All the adults seemed to do their fair share of whining as well.
Joy
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have liked all of Wendy’s books and this one doesn’t disappoint me either. She tells a story in such a way that makes you love the characters and wish you were a part of the crowd. The TEN BEACH ROAD series is so so good I don’t ever want it to end. The words flow, the setting is beautiful, and the daily lives of those involved is familiar. These women don’t just sit back and take everything! Love their wit.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest revie
Kathy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advance reading copy of this book, which is the 5th in a series. I hadn't read the first 4 and had never read anything by this author. The book had many characters and since I was new to the series I didn't know the back stories of the characters. The story took me a while to get into but once I did, I liked it. I recommend this book for those looking for a fast easy read, but would also recommend starting with the first book in the series.
Sara Smith
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reads
I received a free ARC of this book through Random First to Read.

I didn't realize this was part of a series when I started reading it, but I could tell that I needed more information on the characters. Once I looked it up and realized it was #5 of a series, it made more sense, but I hate to read books out of order.

Other than that, it was an okay book. It jumped to one POV to another pretty quickly, which was a little confusing sometimes since it wasn't always clearly marked in the e-reader editio
Nancy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book.

I had to keep reminding myself of Nikki’s age. Granted, a forty-seven year old woman pregnant with twins would be uncomfortable but her incessant whining had me putting down this book on more than one occasion. I do not know what Wendy Wax was thinking with this, there must have been some other way of bringing this couple back together.

The women continue to be at their wits end. The legal wrangling over the ownership of
Mrslimp
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy -- you're killing me! Each book in the Beach Road series (which, once upon a time, I thoroughly enjoyed and recommended) has become increasingly formulaic, the characters increasingly bereft of agency and substance and the writing increasing rote (I count three instances of "cupping her buttocks" in this outing) and stodgy, but One Good Thing has quite literally no plot apart from (spoiler alert) someone who is pregnant has a baby. Unlike in previous installments, there's no ...more
Esther Somorai
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank you Wendy Wax and Penguin Group (USA) Inc. This is the first Wendy Wax book I have read. I had a difficult time keeping all the characters and their relationships to each other straight. When I entered to win an advance reading copy, I did not know if this book was part of a series or not. So you may want to ignore my 2-star rating on One Good Thing by Wendy Wax. Finished reading on January 31, 2017.
Mary
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
One Good Thing is the latest book in Wendy Wax’s Ten Beach Road series. The four women – Maddie, Avery, Nikki, and Kyra – are at a crossroads with their Do Over home refurb tv show. They are trapped in a horrible contract with the tv network that took their show and turned it into an embarrassing reality show. They want to find a way out of the contract and maintain control of the show. The odds don’t look good.

Individually each woman is facing life-altering change. They will rely on one another
Teresa Christensen
I really enjoyed this book and the author's way of telling the story. After getting acquainted with the characters and their personalities it was a nice enjoyable read. You can easily get into the drama of all of the girls involved and want everything to go well with their business venture and also their personal lives. I now wish I would of waited to read it while on vacation next week because it has that sort of relaxing vibe to it. I have never read any of Wendy Wax's books before but now wil ...more
Mel
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a kettle of rotten fish. ALL the women, except for Bitsy were unlikable to the point of sometimes disgust. The men were spineless, the kid unrealistically annoying and the aging rock star and actor/villain completely ridiculous. The plot carrying the story arc is tasteless. Probably the worst ensemble cast ever assembled. UGH!
Donna Foster
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
A perfect beach read with a smooth style of writing. I wanted to eat crab legs and drink adult beverages while reading this book.
Lizy
So, I feel like I need to add a disclaimer to this post. I stopped reading around page 100, but not because the book is bad. It's not. It's great. The writing is fabulous. Wax captures the essence of Floridians so accurately it hurts. I've been hand-selling this series for 2 years now and I will continue to do so. For a certain group of people, this book - and series - is fabulous.

That said, I don't fit in the designated audience for this book and it ended up personally rubbing me the wrong way.
Jencey/
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
One Definitely To Include In Your Beach Bag!

So what are you going to take in your beach bag this year? Would it include one Good Thing by Wendy Wax? My sister asked me does Wendy have anything new out? Yes, of course she does! One Good Thing is the finale of The Ten Beach Road series.

Synopsis:

The book opens with Maddie and William Hightower on a date. While out with Will; he asks when Maddie will have the freedom to make her own choices. She cannot leave things as they are right now with the l
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • Summer Dance
  • A Lowcountry Christmas (Lowcountry Summer #5)
  • Stargazey Nights
  • The Sugarhouse Blues (The Hudson Sisters #2)
  • The Summertime Girls
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • Don't Live for Your Obituary: Advice, Commentary and Personal Observations on Writing, 2008-2017
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • The Bookshop at Water's End
  • It Comes in Waves
  • Pressed Pennies
  • The Lake Season
  • After the Snow Falls
  • I'll Always Be with You
  • Lucidity (The Raven Chronicles, #2)
  • My Life in a Nutshell
  • The View from Prince Street (Alexandria #2)
I write novels that explore friendship, self-discovery and the challenges life brings us, leavened with a touch of humor. I'm proud of all my books and perhaps best known for my "Ten Beach Road" titles including the USA Today bestsellers, Ten Beach Road and The House on Mermaid Point, and for While We Were Watching Downton Abbey.

I was born in St.Petersburg, Florida and grew up on St. Pete Beach wi

Ten Beach Road (8 books)
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • Christmas at the Beach (Ten Beach Road #2.5)
  • The House on Mermaid Point (Ten Beach Road, #3)
  • Sunshine Beach (Ten Beach Road, #4)
  • A Bella Flora Christmas (Ten Beach Road, #5.5)
  • Best Beach Ever (Ten Beach Road, #6)