Start by marking “A Spitfire Girl: The World's Greatest Female Ferry Pilot Tells Her Story” as Want to Read:
A Spitfire Girl: The World's Greatest Female Ferry Pilot Tells Her Story

A Spitfire Girl: The World's Greatest Female Ferry Pilot Tells Her Story

We visualize dashing and daring young men as the epitome of the pilots of the Second World War, yet amongst that elite corps was one person who flew no less than 400 Spitfires and seventy-six different types of aircraft and that person was Mary Wilkins.

Her story is one of the most remarkable and endearing of the war, as this young woman, serving as a ferry pilot with the A
Published March 3rd 2017 by Frontline Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Spitfire Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spitfire Girl

Start your review of A Spitfire Girl: The World's Greatest Female Ferry Pilot Tells Her Story
Margie
Jul 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Another book to add to my ever growing list thanks to the L.A. Times (July 28, 2018). Below is an obituary of Mary Ellis, an incredible woman and dauntless World War II pilot. She was one of the last surviving female pilots of Britain's Air Transport Auxiliary during the war:
Jue
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent discription, especially when Mary made her very first flight and the first time inside the spitfire cockpit, it felt like I was in control and flying the plane myself, just an amazing story from this woman who was clearly born to fly from day one. Don't think any other words I express with do justice to this incredible woman.
Oh My Bookness
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The matter of war never goes away. When you think of war what comes to your mind? Men flying planes to their destination to bomb their target. That's the only word we heard through history was how the men bravely fought heroically, but what about the unknown heroine. We heard about the women taking over the men's position in the factory's and building ships, working as engineers, to name a few. How many know about women Ferry Pilots flying aircrafts to their needed destinations for the ATA durin ...more
Selaya Morton
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is a book that made me wish I could stay home from work and finish it end-to-end. These girls were amazing! Most of them were not even as old as I am now when they volunteered. Some of the accounts in here make me so proud to be a woman. I laughed at some parts and sobbed at others. Of course, they had their detractors - mostly senile old men who wanted no part of creating an "All Female" ferry and delivery contingent. These old farts were too blind to see the obvious advantages; I'm t ...more
Greyscotty
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Wow! We should all be so lucky as to live a life as full as this lady's. Farmer's daughter, 1930's flyer, WWII Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) pilot, aerodrome commandant, auto rally driver etc, etc. The list just never seemed to end. She was, to all intents & purposes, fearless. Reveling in a challenge; she never balked at what life or circumstances threw at her. I am so happy to have discovered this book. There are also a number of TV documentaries dedicated to her and the other female ATA p ...more
Carleton & Donna
A berry heat touching story of exceptional lady pilots.

I have heard of women pilots during WWII but to read the facts of these women to be able to just jump into an airplane that she never saw before and professionally fly it is so astonishing as most people, man or women now days wouldn't even think it possible. Thank you for this wonderful book of your endeavors. God bless you. ct
Penny
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This should have been a great book but I couldn’t stay engaged due to the writing style. It leaps all over the place - one minute it’s 1945 and then in the next paragraph something important is happening in 1939 - and there is no narrative flow. I might try again later, because I’m sure there is a great story buried in the clunky prose, but for the moment this one will have to go on the DNF shelf.
Alan Cook
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, what an inspirational lady, who along with her colleagues carried out a role in war time that we should all be grateful for. Thank you all.
Carmel McDonagh
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a great fan of anything WW2 related and found the story inspirational.
However there were lots of mistakes in this manuscript that tainted the pleasure of reading it a little!
John D Morgan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

Mary Ellis writes from the heart, and her story is all the more inspired for it. Interesting, informative and, above all, enjoyable.
Clifford Freight
Aug 27, 2018
Timothy J. Cooper-Jones
Aug 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #2)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • First Light
  • Scramble: A Narrative History of the Battle of Britain
  • The Big Show: The Classic Account of WWII Aerial Combat
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • A Single Thread
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
  • Vulcan On The Line
  • The Airmen and the Headhunters: A True Story of Lost Soldiers, Heroic Tribesmen and the Unlikeliest Rescue of World War II
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
  • Far Horizons
  • The Spitfire Girls
  • The Man Who Played with Fire: Stieg Larsson's Lost Files and the Hunt for an Assassin
When MaryWilkins was 11, her father paid for her to have a joy ride in a biplane at a travelling circus. Mary decided she wanted to learn to fly and when she was 16 she started having lessons.Mary successfully gained a private pilot's licence and flew for pleasure up until the start of the Second World War in 1939, when all civilian flying was banned.

In October 1941, she joined the Air Transport A