Start by marking “The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss” as Want to Read:

Through five editions, The 36-Hour Day has been an essential resource for families who love and care for people with Alzheimer disease. Whether a person has Alzheimer disease or another form of dementia, he or she will face a host of problems. The 36-Hour Day will help family members and caregivers address these challenges and simultaneously cope with their own emotions an ...more
Published April 18th 2017 by Johns Hopkins University Press

To ask other readers questions about The 36-Hour Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 36-Hour Day

Start your review of The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss
Bill H.
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though I make no claim to having surveyed books on caring for those with dementia, etc., The 36-Hour Day strikes me as one of the most complete guidebooks one could want. From definitions, information on stages, how one relates to those stages, references to support groups, a guide to evaluating care facilities, particular problems that might arise, caregiver stress signs, financial concerns, research on dementia. It's all there. Every person in the position of providing care for someone with Al ...more
Vannessa Anderson
The 36-hour Day describes itself as “A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, other Dementias, and Memory Loss” and opened with Mary who thought she was losing her mind due to memory loss and instead of helping her, her doctor gave her some pills and told her, her memory loss was due to aging.

Just a few things from the book

1. Dementia does not mean the person is crazy
2. Dementia describes a group of symptoms that can be caused by many diseases
3. Severe memory loss is never
Beth
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little hard to read some parts, not because of the information or style of writing, but because I'm living the things described. However, this is the best all-in-one resource I've found that answers as many questions as anything can about an unpredictable disease that follows no rules. Definitely worth the read regardless of the stage your loved one happens to be in, and I also highly recommend it for other family members and friends who are not direct caregivers so they can at least begin to ...more
El
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am sure this book is helpful to many.
Jacalyn
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any family dealing with dementia or Alzheimer
Lisa Brantly
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
hard to read. but very helpful
Jennifer Fatula
This was a difficult book to read from an emotional standpoint; much of it made me think of my father's ordeal with Primary CNS Lymphoma and a little bit of when my grandmother dealt with Alzheimer's though I was a bit more removed from that case. It can also be a little overwhelming to read about the possibilities of what might be coming in the future. However, it was far easier to read than I thought it would be, not dry at all and very reaffirming and caring toward the person reading it. I th ...more
Jane
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What was it like?
Describe the contents of the book (what the book is about, topics it covers, etc.). What does it cover well - what would you like to have seen more of - or is it perfect?
Is it detailed enough, or is it too in-depth? Which sections did you enjoy? How well written is it and how accessible?

This is a well written book for carers and loved ones in how to care for conditions such as alzheimer's, dementia,memory loss and other conditions.

Although written for families in the States this
Carol Wiilliams
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My brother gave me this book soon after placing our Mother in an assisted living facility for Dementia/Alzheimer’s.

It has been an eye opener to me. Much of what it described is either what we are dealing with now or dealt with in the past and is more than likely preparing us for what may lay ahead. Mom is more in the forgetting/repeating stage now.... but does have her really bad days where she just says over and over that she wants to go home or wishes she was dead. It’s so sad to hear her like
John
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this book covers all the bases regarding the care of the victims of dementia, which in most cases is the affliction of Alzheimer's disease, but not every time. The book is very helpful for the caregiver, particularly in providing hope, and, at least, in helping those people to accept reality and find some peace. The book literally covers every aspect of dementia including definitions, obtaining medical help, symptoms, daily care, medical problems, behavioral management, obtaining ...more
Babette
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My grandmother had severe dementia. However, my uncle was taking care of her, and because he didn't want us to worry, and we lived far away, he didn't tell us how bad it became. One day, he died. We found out very quickly that she was not able to be alone. It was hard, because my grandmother was a pain-in-the-butt before she starting losing her mental facilities (I can say that because I am a pain-in-the-butt, just like her).

I took her to her doctor, and he gave me homework... to read this book
Linda
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a few books on this topic, my interest being equally professional and personal, and have also completed a number of courses on dementia. If you have a loved one with dementia, this book is The Bible. Read as much as is relevant at any given time, as the disease progresses. There’s a LOT of info here and it could be easy to become overwhelmed if you binge read it all in a sitting.
Go for the most up to date edition, as this field is a hot topic of research and new information is being ad
Jocelyn
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I learned a lot about dementia as well as the patience and flexibility required to care for the person who has it. If you have such a person in your family, I recommend that you read this book. It will help you understand what's happening to that person. If you are the caregiver, you'll find lots of practical suggestions for care-giving as well as guidance for accessing resources. If you are not the caregiver, then you'll learn what it's like for the caregiver as well as for the person with deme ...more
V
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative. While each situation is different, it helps you understand what to expect and gives valuable information on steps to take to help your loved one and help yourself in the process. It's a must for anyone dealing with Alzheimers, Dementia or any type of memory loss. I highly recommend this book; I will certainly read it again, again and again. It's truly a wealth of information within these pages.
Lori
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book for sometime, and decided it was time to add to it my read books. For me it isn't a one time read because I keep going back and re reading different parts. With family members that are dealing with strokes, dementia and Parkinson, it has become a valuable tool to help me understand as much as I can, and to deal with different situations. It has become a staple on my table,
Sue E. Dawson
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great to have for dementia and related issues. This book is a reference tool that covers communication with the patient, progression of disease, how to deal with financial issues like medicaid, nursing home, which professionals to consult. It is such a help on the dementia journey, as it can be so overwhelming. It was the most recommended book when my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and a seizure disorder last year.
Edward Surjadi
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The approach of looking after dementia person elaborated in this book has really helped me shaping my perspective when I need to give care to my dad where I share the responsibility with my sister. I am really glad I found and read this book. I am now more confident in dealing with dad's inappropriate behaviours, acknowledging supports and helps that my sister need as the primary caregiver, and plan for the future.
Michelle
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very insightful and helpful guide to helping me better care for my mother who has dementia. Makes a lot of things start to make sense, from the patient's perspective -- which makes me more compassionate in caring for her at our home. Helped me be able to finally get her to bathe, understand why she says/does a lot of what she does, understand a bit about the early morning wanderings out of the house, and just all around be able to care for her in a better, more compassionate way.
Alicia Farmer
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
I skimmed this to find the parts relevant to our situation (my MIL has mild cognitive impairment). Its value seems to be in its comprehensiveness and problem-solving approach. The book devotes most of its content to family-as-caregivers, giving attention in equal parts to normalizing reactions, providing resources and suggestions, and describing the myriad ways dementia illnesses can affect individuals.

Kim
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this handbook helpful as an introduction to dementia. It explains in detail the challenges families face in caring for a loved one suffering from dementia. This book is a good place to start on the topic.
Rachel
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I ever had to recommend a book for someone caring for a loved one with Alz this would be the one! Although heartbreaking and at times hard to read, there is alot of great information, ideas, and help in this book.
Jill
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is very helpful to those with family and friends who have dementia or other similar diseases. It outlines the difficulties for the caregivers of people with dementia and what to expect as the disease progresses.
Barb Bradley
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me so much while I was caring for my Mother who had dementia. It is an amazing reference book for the caregiver. Helps you understand what they are thinking, when they cannot express their thoughts to you. It also helps you see dementia from their viewpoint.
Chelsea
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
This was a good read for me. I have a relative going through the early stages of dementia. I needed to learn was to handle situations coming up. The things I need to do and who call when I am unable to give care or frustration takes over.
George
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for all approaching their golden years or know someone with dementia. Very well written book with important helpful information for caregivers, families, and friends of patients with dementia.
Josh West
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped me understand what my grandmother is going through. I highly encourage you to read this. It helps you understand and learn things from someones point of view with this wicked disease.
Jim Miller
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of Alzheimer's, how it cripples individuals and families, and how to be an effective caregiver.
Alicia
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Depressing but informative. An excellent resource.
Linda Rhyne
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Very depressing but needed for caretaker. Did not cover some subjects I need to know. Needs another update. Need more REM sleep disorder coverage.
Kevin Maness
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Basically THE bible of caring for someone with dementia.

• Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey: A Guide for Families and Caregivers, Fifth Edition, Revised and Expanded
  • Dementia Reimagined: Building a Life of Joy and Dignity from Beginning to End
  • The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life
  • The Lady in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #1)
  • Ester and Ruzya: How My Grandmothers Survived Hitler's War and Stalin's Peace
  • Zen as F*ck: A Journal for Practicing the Mindful Art of Not Giving a Sh*t
  • A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit
  • The Caregiver's Toolbox: Checklists, Forms, Resources, Mobile Apps, and Straight Talk to Help You Provide Compassionate Care
  • The Tao of Willie: A Guide to the Happiness in Your Heart
  • I Am the Grand Canyon: The Story of the Havasupai People
  • Iberia
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew
  • The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • When Reasoning No Longer Works: A Practical Guide for Caregivers Dealing with Dementia & Alzheimer's Care
  • The Art of Presence
  • The Edge of the Shadows (Whidbey Island Saga, #3)

News & Interviews