Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One

Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One

(Wonder Woman (2016) #2)

A part of DC Universe: Rebirth!

New York Times best-selling writer Greg Rucka continues his return to Wonder Woman! The team of Rucka and artist Nicola Scott weave the definitive and shocking tale of Diana's first year as Earth's protector.

Paradise has been breached, Ares stirs, and the Amazons must answer with a champion of their own...one who is willing to sacrifice her
Published May 9th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Volume 2

Start your review of Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One
Anne
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wonder Women...and Men!

I remember this made headlines when it was confirmed that yes Wonder Woman is indeed bisexual.
gasp!
Although, is anyone really surprised? She lived on an island with nothing except a bunch of women. I think all of us but the most naive already assumed she played for both teams.
Duh.

description

I was a bit more surprised by Etta and Barbara Ann (soon to be Cheetah) having a thing for each other. And part of me felt like Damn, Rucka! That's a lotta lesbians you got smooshed in there!, but since it
Sam Quixote
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
As Greg Rucka was writing two Wonder Woman storylines simultaneously, probably to keep the same artist for the duration of each arc, allowing them extra time to draw the issues while also sticking to DC’s double-shipping schedule, his second Wonder Woman Rebirth book doesn’t follow on from the first - instead it’s a retelling of her origin. For the umpteenth time. Sigh. While the title “Year One” references the classic Batman book of the same name, Wonder Woman: Year One is unfortunately nowhere ...more
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
The art in this is STUNNING ...more
Chad
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonder Woman gets retconned again. The new origin takes a lot of the elements of George Perez's version of WW's origin but with better storytelling. Diana leaves Themyscira to take Steve Trevor back to the outside world. Because she doesn't speak any English, Dr. Minerva is brought into communicate with her. I loved this addition to the supporting cast. I really liked enjoyed Minerva and Diana becoming friends when you know she will eventually become Cheetah. Rucka does a wonderful job of ...more
Robert
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Wonder What Women Want (When No Men Are Around)
Shelves: dc-rebirth, hoopla, dc
This is a volume sure to divide opinions as, yes, it is a retelling of an origin story. I myself feel like it was treading some very familiar ground, having read "Wonder Woman: Earth One" not too long ago.

Taken on its own, however, I feel that Mr Rucka does a great job re-engaging with the character and (amazingly, given the decades of character history and mythos) overtly and tastefully acknowledging the fact that there would be same-sex romantic partnerships on an all-female island, with the
Artemy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2017, dc
I wasn't a fan of Rucka's first Rebirth volume of Wonder Woman, but I really enjoyed the movie, and that made me want to read more comics about her. First I finally finished Brian Azzarello's run (turned out to be pretty good in the end, by the way), after which I decided to pick up Year One. I'm glad I gave Rucka another chance, because this volume was really good! And that's extremely rare for Rebirth.

First of all though, I have to say: whoever at DC is responsible for the structuring of this
James DeSantis
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I almost went with a 5. I would have too, if last issue was as good as the rest.

So this is the origins of WW. Now listen, I'm sure this has been done before. I don't really give a fuck about that though. This is my first time reading a Origin Story for Wonder Woman and I thought it was REALLY well done.

So you get to see some time with Diana on the island learning who she is and what she's going to become. Then Steve lands and you get more backstory on his people, and it's actually really sad
Anthony
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me this is the better of the two volumes so far from Rucka and his Wonder Woman rebirth. The other volume did pick up more towards the end, but I enjoyed this one more overall. And the artwork is so good.
Michelle Hart
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

rucka's wonder woman relaunch is the punchy, optimistic, feminist comic we need right now. it's not perfect--it has wonky pacing issues; the conflict is brought up and resolved within the last two issues--but there's so much heart here.

i mean...

Richard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is meant to be read in tandem with Vol. 1 of the Wonder Woman Rebirth series, Wonder Woman Vol. 1: The Lies, as the first twelve issue rotated between these two stories, with Vol. 1 collecting the odd issues and Vol. 2 collecting the subsequent even issues, and both stories inform the other. So with that in mind, to really appreciate it, especially the somewhat confusing first volume, you probably should read the complete story in issue order in Wonder Woman: Rebirth Deluxe Edition ...more
Will Robinson Jr.
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly wonderful retelling of the Wonder Woman origin for a new generation. Greg Rucka makes a risky gamble and decides to to write not just the current adventures of Diana Prince aka Wonder Woman, which can be read in Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies, but he decides to let the audience in on the secret history of Diana's first journey into man's world. First though the Wonder Woman origin has had many interpretations through the years Rucka puts his own unique spin on the tale by building some ...more
Kat
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Basic Plot: The new story of how Wonder Woman rescued Steve Trevor, came to the United States, defeated Ares, and became Wonder Woman.

Now THAT's more like it. The art for half of the new Wonder Woman series is just gorgeous. Running two simultaneous/alternating storylines is all well and good as long as they both have the high quality the fans want. This one has far superior art to the more "current" timeline story.

The story itself is solid and includes all of the usual suspects: Steve Trevor,
Stewart Tame
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
In the grand tradition of “Year One” series, we get yet another run at Wonder Woman's origin, this time courtesy of Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott. It reads well and looks good, but that’s really the bare minimum we expect from any graphic novel. Does this book break new ground for the character? Mmmmm ... not particularly. Don't get me wrong: it's good and all. But there's not much in the way of new concepts. If you're familiar with the original Marston origin and the Perez version from the 80's, ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One' by Greg Rucka with illustrations by Nicola Scott and Bilquis Everly collects even numbered issues 2-14 of the DC Rebirth series.

This story tells about the first year of Wonder Woman as Earth's protector, but before that, there is some backstory to take care of. We see Diana's early childhood on Themyscira and in alternating panels how her life and Steve Trevor's seemed to have some parallels. When Steve Trevor crashes on the island and is the only survivor of his
Chris Lemmerman
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Read as single issues]
Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott unite to tell the story of Wonder Woman's first year as a superhero. Starting with her life on Themyscira through to her exploration of the world with Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, and Barbara Ann Minerva, this is a great little book that sets up a lot of the background for the characters Diana is dealing with during the present day Lies/Truth storyline in the other issues of the series.

Diana's gentle exploration of the world and her relationships
Sesana
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Did we really need yet another Wonder Woman origin story? No, of course not. Or maybe we did, because it seems Azzarello's work has been retconned away, so Diana actually doesn't have a post-Flashpoint origin story at this point. And yet it's basically exactly what you might expect it to be, so again not really needed. It's a good thing that it's a solid piece of work. I've always liked the way that Rucka writes Diana, and he does an especially good job with her younger self. The story is quite ...more
Diz
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a beautiful retelling of the Wonder Woman origin. There were so many things that I liked about this. The first thing that it gets right is the relationships in Wonder Woman's life. The relationship with her mother comes across as much more loving than past origins, and her relationship with Steve is very sweet. Also, Barbara Ann Minerva plays a very important role in helping Wonder Woman become accustomed to life in America. As for the story, a major villain makes an bold entrance. ...more
Kay
I don't know what Greg Rucka has been drinking for the past few years, but this run of Wonder Woman is 11x better than his Wonder Woman II run from 2004. It feels like all types of crazy that the same guy can re-write the same story and have it be a better, stronger, and tighter version, but it is. I'm LOVING this run!

Vol 2. is Wonder Woman's origin story (obviously) and you'd think I'd be bored of the same story re-told to me...Nope. It's wonderful. Steve is wonderful. Diana is wonderful.
Glenn Rolfe
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff. I'm loving these DC Rebirth collections.
I never read any Wonder Woman comics, just saw the movie and loved that.
While this one has Diana meeting Steve in the present, I still got into it. I prefer the movie version, but I'm clueless to what the actual origin story is, but this story was very enjoyable.
The artwork was pretty great on most accounts. Wonder Woman and Ares looked amazing.

Chelsey
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I like Greg Rucka's writing, but we definitely didn't need another Wonder Woman origin story.
Maggie Gordon
All hail Rucka, the only damn writer to actually understand Wonder Woman. This gets five stars simply because I haven't seen such a strong Wonder Woman story since Rucka was last on the series. Finally, this is a Diana to be proud of. This is a Diana that can be a role model. This is the Diana I have always wanted. (Now hopefully she stays amazing!)

I had some hesitations about the first volume of this semi-reboot, but I brushed them off as Rucka having to contend with a bunch of terrible plot
Danielle
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog, uncovered-books.

I received a free copy of Wonder Woman Volume 2: Year One from DC Comics in exchange for my honest opinion.

The thing that I have noticed with comic book is that either the storyline is amazing, or the art work. Hardly ever do they manage to both be amazing. Unfortunately Wonder Woman Volume 2: Year One suffered this as well.

Lets start with the good, the storyline. I have never read of Wonder Woman’s origin, so I found it very interesting to
Cale
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
So at the same time Greg Rucka is questioning the many variations on Wonder Woman's origins (in Volume 1), he's also rebuilding them in this Volume 2 (that was apparently published as the even number issues for the first year). And he does a GREAT job. Synthesizing most of the variations into one cohesive story, he manages to highlight everything that makes Wonder Woman memorable while even giving some of the secondary characters (Etta Candy and Barbara Ann Minerva, specifically) increase depth. ...more
Cass Winters
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t want to like this book. No, I wanted to hate it because who needs ANOTHER origin story for this character? I thought, this has been done to death. I only got it because I wanted to have all the Rebirth collected editions to date and continue picking it up in trades as it is published. I read it though because I knew I wanted to do this week, so I went in very skeptically. I was like “this is going to be horrible” and I am shocked. It wasn’t horrible. It was better than I thought it ...more
Paige
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonder Woman is currently so excellent I highly recommend it just like how New 52 started arguably Wonder Woman rebirth is the strongest series from the relaunch.

Odd numbered volumes focuses on a more modern day WW and even numbered volumes focuses on more classic powered WW both are excellent with brilliant plot and art work. Highly recommended.
Sheila Beaumont
I loved this graphic novel, the first I've read in Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman "Rebirth" series. The artwork is excellent, and the story is well told. I chose to read Volume 2 first, as it is the origin story. I'm looking forward to continuing with the other volumes in this series.
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see how Diana met Trevor. Glad that she was able to explore man's world. Sad that she won't be able to return to the home of the Amazon's. Hope she will do fine in man's world.

Can't wait to read Wonder Woman, volume 3!!!!!
Stabbing
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-rebirth, dc-comics
Read as single issue comics. I'm enjoying the Wonder Woman title a lot but it suffers some from inconsistency in the art and the flip flopping between two separate stories format they've gone with.
Vikas
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you read my review of the first volume you might have noticed I had wrote about the fact that all the issues collected in volume one were odd numbered ones. Well so the second volume comes along packing all the even numbered issues plus an issue telling backstory of Barbara Ann Minerva the Cheetah before she became Cheetah and yeah this is another origin story of WW if you saw the movie then you already know half of the story only thing different would be that the movie was set in late 1910s ...more
Nicole

• Justice League, Vol. 1: The Extinction Machines
  • Aquaman, Volume 3: Crown of Atlantis
  • Batman, Volume 3: I Am Bane
  • Justice League, Vol. 3: Timeless
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Wonder Woman (2016) (10 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies