Start by marking “Little Wizard Stories of Oz” as Want to Read:
Little Wizard Stories of Oz

Little Wizard Stories of Oz (Oz #7.5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  819 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
One is named Olite, and one Udent and one Ertinent, and they have no respect for anyone or anything. If strangers pass through the valley, the Imps jeer at them and make horrid faces and call names, and often they push travelers out of the path or throw stones at them. Whenever Imp Olite or Imp Udent or Imp Ertinent comes here to bother us, I and my family run into the hou ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Little Wizard Stories of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Wizard Stories of Oz

Muzzlehatch
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: fantasy, juvenile
A charming little volume containing several very short Oz stories involving many of the major characters that had featured in the first 7 or so books in the series proper. Clearly aimed at an even younger audience than the regular books, most adults will probably find these a little too silly -- though some of the wordplay that both Baum and his successors are known for is in evidence (the Imps -- Udent, Olite and Ertinent, for example). John R. Neill's illustrations are among his best and are t ...more
King Ævil
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, kindle
All of Baum's Oz books have some material no longer considered appropriate for children, but this one is unusually disturbing. Also, why does the Wizard have antennae in all the pictures?
Meg McGregor
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oz-books
Well, as with most books comprised of short stories, there were a couple that I liked and a couple that I didn't.

This book is obviously intended for the younger Oz reader. And I think that is fine.

But it is too watered down. I am really surprised that Baum would "dumb down" any type of story for his readers.

The story I really liked was The Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. I always suspected both these two of just being old softies and I was right all along.
Grace
A cute collection of Oz short-shorts. This collection is intended for a younger audience than the approximate child or MG reading level that might enjoy the regular Oz books. Each story is just a few pages long, has a very simple plot, and has a very obvious moral at the end. Great for younger readers, or for anyone who just enjoys the simplicity of Baum's Oz.
Kelsey Marie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Out of all of the books of Oz that I have read, this one has been my least favorite. The little stories in it didn't serve a purpose, there weren't any of Baum's usual puns, there was no wit behind any of it. It was very disappointing.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
This was a quick, fun and light read! A collection of short stories about Oz, the Lion and the Tiger, the Imps, Ozma, Tinman and the Scarecrow. I love the stories and I enjoyed each one of them. I like the story of the Lion and the Tiger, so cute!!
Kim
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am a Wizard of Oz fan and always love return visits to Oz. This is a collection of small stories with all the familiar characters.
Baker​ St Shelves
Better than I thought it would be, but there are much better Oz books.
Did enjoy the story with the Cowardly Lion and Hungry Tiger.
Stephen
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of short Oz stories that I devoured with the daughter two at a time before bedtime.
Sherri
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will definitely be on the bookshelf of books to read to my children.
Garrett Kilgore
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Awful. Just...awful
Janelle
A short but fun collection of Oz stories. Entertaining, but not outstanding.
Kristen Coffin
"It's better to be a coward than to do wrong."

A super cute short story collection about the different citizens of Oz. Easy-reading, but still worth it.
Robyn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Each chapter is a story in & of itself, about different Oz characters. It's kinda hard to tell when the stories take place, both in relation to each other, and in relation to the other Oz books. I just wasn't quite ready to "say goodbye" to the Oz characters, now that I finished the 14 continuous books.
Tony Laplume
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories is a pleasant enough reminder of L. Frank Baum's lively imagination, but it's mostly non-essential reading, except for the first entry featuring the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. The Lion shot to fame thanks to the 1939 movie, but in the books he never attained the same kind of prominence as the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman. Fans tend to attribute this to his absence in Baum's original stage adaptation, but the truth is, his was a different character altogethe ...more
Ylva
Jul 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: children-s-lit
This booklet consists of six short stories — or, perhaps it would be more accurate to call them tiny stories (not even "little stories", as the title of the booklet says). Alas, all the stories are very boring, and they don't even have any point to them. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend this booklet to anybody, not even children. Children should be given entertaining and fun stories to read, so that they would learn to enjoy reading and to love books. Boring, pointless stories like the ones ...more
rastronomicals
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Filthy and obscene.

Ha, you knew I was just kidding.

No, actually, Baum was always adamant in saying that he wrote for all ages. But Little Wizard (and maybe Magical Monarch) are oddballs in the canon in that they were specially written for children. These are as a result I think fairly unvivid snippets, with no puns, no real conflict, no new places, no new characters. The best of these six short tales was probably the one about Dorothy and the evil giant she thought she found, but its Very Speci
USS
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread from my childhood, since I'm in the midst of the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge (Google it, it's fascinating). I loved this book as a child, but reading it now as an adult, it's too juvenile for me. Also, these stories were just "samples" of the Oz mythos and not as good as the Oz books by Baum. Reading this book from my childhood for the 2015 Challenge was a wonderful revisit, and did evoke stirring memories of childhood, but I've moved on to more complex and adult-level reading.

This
Dione Basseri
A collection of short stories set in Oz, most of which I can not recall in the few weeks since reading. The only one I remember is the first, in which the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger go in search of babies to eat and grown men to kill. Of course, this being Oz, they do no such thing, and gladly go back to a placid life serving Ozma.

Very lackluster, even for the Wizard of Oz. These stories were originally meant to interest new readers in a revitalized series, and they may interest the very
Terrence
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection has been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years. I noticed it while reviewing my small (but growing) collection of Baum authored Oz books, and decided to give it a go. I am very pleased that I did!
This Dover Publications reproduction of the original book is a treat both to look at and read. The six short stories include a few tales about the well-loved citizens of Oz, and are just the right length to read before bedtime. The wonderful artwork continues to accent these magi
Anna
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A cute collection of short stories. All were clearly Baum-esque, unlike the "Queer Visitors" collection which did not really hold Baum's voice as a story-teller. Finishing this made me wish there were more Oz stories in the volume or more Oz stories within another book.

Funny how Baum fails to keep consistency in his magic in Oz. In here, Toto can't talk, but in later Oz books, he can.

I think I really liked Dorothy and Toto's story best in this collection, even though Jack Pumpkinhead is my favou
Dianna
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These stories are nowhere near as charming as the fourteen original Oz books. We start with the Hungry Tiger and the Cowardly Lion debating whether they'd like to eat babies and rip people to shreds. The stories' plots are very simple, but the writing style isn't, and it didn't keep my child's attention very well. I actually think he'd get far more joy from the original books although they're longer.

Do keep in mind, though, that my son is only three. I think that die-hard Oz fans who are familia
Kate  K. F.
When I was younger, I read through my parents copies of the Oz books and these stories made me smile. The illustrations and book quality were wonderful but it left me wanting to reread the full novels. Most of these stories work better if you've read the other tales of Oz as they reference characters introduced there. They also can work if you haven't read them as charming slightly odd fairy tales. I would hand this book to a reader who's in elementary school and older and looking for fairy tale ...more
Neil
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six short stories of Oz, despite the stories being written by L. Frank Baum and illustrated by John R. Neill this is a minor addition to the Oz canon often not counted amongst the other books. Baum is clearly aiming the stories here at a younger audience and unfortunately writing down and preaching more than usual, that said all the stories have flashes of pure Baum humour. Neill's illustrations despite almost all being in colour often lack the detail of his best work.
Susan
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Technically maybe a three plus. This was a quick read with just a handful of stories featuring favorite characters: Scarecrow, Nick Chopper, Tik Tok, etc. Some are a little stronger than others, but though the shorter format seems to bring out more of Baum's didactic side, they're all still pretty entertaining in their own way. "The Scarecrow and Tin Woodman" kind of deviated from the characterization a bit for the sake of slapstick, but it's a pretty minor complaint.
Mitchell
A bunch of simple short stories of Oz. Very heavy on the deus ex machina and not very substantial. But pleasant. The art doesn't quite match up with the stories but it still adds to the whole. It's interesting to remember that in the series of Oz, the Wizard becomes a Wizard after all. While in popular media where he is known primarily from the movie, he is just a fraud. In any case these stories are a bit too simple for me, but would read aloud just fine.
George
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a quick, fun read. It actually should be read around book 7 or so in the series to fit in chronologically, but I got to it late. Again, there were some inconsistencies with the Oz toward the end of the series (namely the immortality of Oz characters that gradually appeared later in the series). But I had fun reading these short adventures of different Oz citizens.
Joyce
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Some short stories by Baum. I really liked it. Some more then others, but overall they were good. I love how they all have a little moral. It definitely makes the book more interesting. I thought it was funny and very entertaining. I loved the adventures that takes place in Oz. It is such a creative world, that it peaks my imagination.
Nat Cabrera
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I definitely didn't enjoy it as the wonderful wizard of Oz.
It's a small collection of short stories.
I thought it was some kind of epilogue with stories that described what happened to the characters after Dorothy left to Kansas. Although the same characters were involved in the stories, it had nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz. Kind of disappointed, but maybe for little kids is recommended.
Therese
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Oz fans
$0.0

I'm being generous in giving this book 3 stars because I really wanted to give it 2.5. These are very short stories about some of the interesting characters who inhabit the land of Oz, but there isn't much substance to them and I found them rather silly in stead of intriguing as I have found the original ones.
  • The Silver Princess in Oz (Book 32)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • Lucky
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)