Start by marking “Word Nerd” as Want to Read:
Word Nerd

Word Nerd

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,221 ratings  ·  404 reviews
Twelve-year-old Ambrose is a glass-half-full kind of guy. A self-described “friendless nerd,” he moves from place to place every couple of years with his overprotective mother, Irene. When some bullies at his new school almost kill him by slipping a peanut into his sandwich — even though they know he has a deathly allergy — Ambrose is philosophical. Irene, however, is not ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Tundra Books

Kristina
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Определено не очаквах, че книжката ще ми хареса толкова много, защото самият й сюжет не е нищо особено или оригинално, но пък стилът на писане беше просто невероятен!

Влюбих се в гласа на главния ни герой - Амброуз - който е толкова забавен, саркастичен, леко параноичен на моменти и много странен :D Имаше толкова много комични ситуации, които ме накараха да се усмихна широко.

Всички останали герои в книгата бяха изградени много добре и ми беше любопитно да чета за тяхното участие в историята. Мног
Madelyn Rose
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Word Nerd by Susin Nielsen is a very cute book. It is about Ambrose, a boy who's father died while working on a construction site. Ambrose has gone through a lot with bullies at public school, so decides to be home schooled. The only people who can really be considered Ambrose's friends are his mom and the landlords (barely). Then, Ambrose meets Cosmo, the landlords' son (who happens to be an ex con and a "druggie". Cosmo likes Scrabble, just like Ambrose and they become very good friends. The o ...more
Federica
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-right
This book was absolutely amazing! The main character - Ambrose - had a really interesting character, and the way the story evolved was really interesting. I really enjoyed following Cosmo's story as well, as his past experiences had played a big role on his present. I would recommend this to people who want a just-right book, but want a good book too. It really portrays the connection between two people very well and shows how two totally different people all have something in common.
Kunal
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I loved Cosmo's shady past, Ambrose's quirkiness, Irene's overprotectiveness and of course, Mrs. E's food.

This book kept me glued to it and I was done in two sittings, craving more Susin Nielsen. This is definitely one of the books that I would love to read again. Not only was the plot great, the characters were so real. Truly was one of the books that I felt I had slipped into. Recommend it to everyone, it's two hours well spent.
Femke
Zo leuk! :)
Laura (bbliophile)
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Review originally posted on bbliophile.blogspot.com

Word Nerd is possibly the most heart-warming story I've read this year, and made me remember why I loved middle-grade books in the first place.

Word Nerd is about a 12 year old boy named Ambrose, whose dad died before he was even born, and he never really fits in. After an incident at school with his bullies, his overprotective mom decides to home-school him. The only people Ambrose has any contact with are his mom and his landlords, the middle
Anvita
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much because of it's simplicity in terms of the way its written, but the depth that the author goes into for the characters. The aspect of Ambrose's life that I could relate to the most was the "protection" that his mom put him under. As an only child, my parents do the same and I can relate to how it felt. After a while, this protection becomes a cage and you want to escape - but your parents aren't willing to let go. I would recommend this book to anyone because I enjoyed ...more
Arnav Gupta
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book as something to just ease up during the holidays. All of us have lately been reading a lot of complex books and it was fun to just relax and let loose with this book. But still this book I felt was solid. Great plot line, simple characters and touching issues of independence, liberty, how protective your parents should be and other issues that almost every teenager is concerned about. If you want a simple book to relax and read, this is the book for you.
Melodie1974
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada, coups-de-coeur, ya
Un coup de coeur! Comment ça, je ne connaissais pas cette auteure avant la semaine dernière?? Si vous avez des jeunes entre 10 et 15 ans, garrochez-vous sur ses livres!! Je l'ai lu en français, et wow! Rachel Martinez, quel travail! La v.o. n'aurait pas été meilleure. Chapeau à la Courte Échelle d'avoir demandé et/ou accepté une traduction vraiment québécoise (wô les moteurs, jamais dans cent ans, se bourrer la face, gnochon, etc.)

Un gros gros "j'ai aimé"
Kristin
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
"This book is peanut-free" is what made me pick it up in the children's section at the library. It's about a scrabble playing misfit with a deadly peanut allergy but totally inappropriate for children because of "crass boy language." This should be in the YA section.
Ian Tymms
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book - one of those page turners that is all heart. Couldn't agree more with Jabiz and Paula's reviews.
Irene
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2,5/3 sterren

Zoals de goodreads rating aangeeft bij 2 sterren: it was ok. Twee sterren wil in dit geval niet zeggen dat ik het slecht vond, het boek was oké, maar eerlijk gezegd had ik er toch iets meer van verwacht.

Het boek leest als een trein, het verhaal is origineel en leuk uitgewerkt. Een boek met het onderwerp scrabble op de voorgrond ben ik nog nooit tegengekomen en ook de hoofdstuktitels zijn erg passend.
Hetgeen wat ik storend vond in dit boek was de seksuele ontwikkeling van Ambrose,
Fiona R
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an entertaining read about an endearing boy named Ambrose who is the target of school bullies and then nearly dies as a result of a "prank." His overprotective mother withdraws him from school and attempts to isolate him from all sources of harm.
Ambrose, in his boredom and loneliness, strikes up an unlikely friendship with an ex-con, who shares his love of Scrabble, and it is this bond between them that leads Cosmo down a better life path and allows Ambrose to feel accepted and valued - jus
Alex Peachman
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
12 year old Ambrose is home-schooled by his over-protective mother. But when she is at work, befriends the ex-convict son of his landlord, and, unlikely as it seems, discovers a world of friendship, independence and adventure through a scrabble club.
If you are a fan of Susin Nielsen, this book will not disappoint - it's written in her usual easy to read, funny style and has some quirky and lovable characters.
Kathy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this author late. I had seen this book in the library for years but I never picked it up. A few colleagues had read the book and raved about it but I was resistant. This also held true for her latest book, The Journal of Henry K. Larsen where I just did not like the cover. However, with that book, I picked it up because everyone was raving. I could not put it down and the same goes with this book.

What this books is about:
Ambroise is a 12 year old with many issues - fatherless, severe pea
Rachel Hartman
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't usually enjoy realistic YA, but I found this utterly charming. It was the voice, frankly. I know this kid. I've BEEN this kid. Socially awkward, lying to spare mom's feelings, thinking my too-small purple pants are awesome. Funny, and occasionally lightly mortifying.

In addition, the book is set in my neighbourhood, which was hilariously fun. Like seeing someone you know in a movie, and you can't stop giggling.

Fair warning for the squeamish: some bad language and discussion of bodily func
Dylan Tsao
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-just-right
Amazing book, ending was great and it made me happy. I liked this book because of the character that slowly unfolds throughout the book. Many ups and downs throughout the book. I got to see how Ambrose survived with being bullied and overly protected. Nothing would stop this boy from doing what he loves most which is hanging out with Cosmo. This book isn't too long and recommend this book to people that need a break from a long book. There is one mystery that Ambrose wants to find out and that i ...more
Jabiz Raisdana
So at one point, I am on the airplane tears in my eyes (tears of joy) and laughing out loud. This book is beautiful and simple and perfect for every middle school student. Ambrose is a quirky, funny, and relateable 12 year old that I could not help but fall in love with.

A simple yet moving plot, characters you will love and hate-- this book needs to be read. If you liked Wonder and Diary of a Part Time Indian than get your hands on this book. I already miss Ambrose and Cosmo.
Lexi-304
Mar 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was nasty and greasy! - Dylan

This book was so much about pity, the main character was bullied and had no personality, all he liked to do was play scrabble.
Eline
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dat was weer een typisch Susin Nielsen boek. Erg leuk en grappig, maar niet bijzonder of vernieuwend. Zeker leuk om te lezen, maar dit zijn van die boeken waarbij ik volgende maand niet meer weet hoe de hoofdpersoon heette. Maar ach, blijven fijne boeken, haha
Biebjuf Jessica
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goed verhaal, met mooie stukken over eenzaamheid en vriendschap. Over pesten en een te bezorgde moeder(op t eind wil je die moeder echt bij dr haren pakken en meesleuren!)

Het grove taalgebruik - wat ook maar soms terug komt - had geen toegevoegde waarde vond ik, dus waarom? En door het piemelgehalte zou ik zeggen 12+... (foutje van de bieb? Geen B-boek hoor...)
Ik zou hem denk ik pas eind groep 8 aanbieden...
Hung
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, a little darker than her later books.
Suzanne Montigny
Another Great Read

Another typical Susin Nielson great read. Funny, flowing, and fanciful. I hope she never stops writing her truly awesome books.
Aly
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh!! This book is amazing!!! I want to read more about Ambrose, Cosmo, Amanda and everyone else. Which is why I love Susin’s books. She uses the same characters in her books do we don’t JUST see one part of Ambrose’s life. Or Cosmo’s. Example- (and spoilers to anyone who hasn’t read Dear George Clooney) Cosmo and Amanda’s wedding in Dear George Clooney Please Marry my Mom! I absolutely fangirled over that part.
—-
10/10 recommend
Sarike Roest
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek is vooral een heel lief boek. Het leest vlot, personages zijn niet enorm uitgediept, maar leuk genoeg om te willen volgen.
Celine
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb nu zin gekregen om te scrabbelen, ook al kan ik het niet😄
Hanneke
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een fantastisch boek! Er zit enorm veel humor in, maar daarnaast ook diepgang. Een aanrader voor tienerjongens, Spelletjesnerds en liefhebbers van prachtige verhalen.
Donna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Quick, fun read. Protagonist is realistic an does stuff that a 12 year old boy would do. He is funny and caring and thus the target of bullies.
Love the scrabble connection.
Aneets
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great YA book & I loved pretty much all of the characters. it had similarities to About a Boy (well the main character reminded me of the main character form that book) but that does not detract from how sweet it was. 3.5 stars.
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7th grade and up
So charming! Ambrose, a 12-year-old living with his single mom, has his hands full with his peanut allergy (the cover says "this book is peanut-free"), his mom's overprotectiveness, and the school bullies. But when his mom starts working nights and enrolls him in online school, he's got some unsupervised time...time enough to meet the upstairs neighbors' son Cosmo, who has just gotten out of jail. Of course, Ambrose's mom forbids him to spend time with Cosmo, but Ambrose is pining for a father f ...more
  • Happy Kid!
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • Words That Start with B
  • The Last Invisible Boy
  • Lemon
  • Neil Flambé and the Marco Polo Murders (The Neil Flambé Capers #1)
  • Camel Rider
  • And Nothing But the Truth (The Whole Truth, #2)
  • The Big One-Oh
  • Half Brother
Susin got her start feeding cast and crew on the popular television series, Degrassi Junior High. They hated her food, but they saw a spark in her writing. Nielsen went on to pen sixteen episodes of the hit TV show. Since then, Nielsen has written for over 20 Canadian TV series. Her first young adult novel, Word Nerd, was published in 2008 to critical acclaim. It won multiple Young Readers’ Choice ...more