Start by marking “Like a Windy Day” as Want to Read:
Like a Windy Day

Like a Windy Day

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The wind is powerful and stormy, mischievous and unpredictable. It can lift birds into the air and drive the clouds and rain. It can spin windmills, steal hats, and sail boats across the seas.
In this magical story, Frank and Devin Asch bring the wind to life and send a young girl soaring, tumbling, and twirling on her own exciting windy-day adventure. This is the fourth i
Published October 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Like a Windy Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like a Windy Day

Vicki
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, toddler
This was such a good one for storytime! I used it with toddlers today, and before I began, I handed out our little chiffon scarf squares. We played with the scarves and waved them around while I played "The Minute Waltz" on the iPod ("make a big circle!" "throw your scarf in the air!" "make it go super slow, now super fast!"). Then I had the kids sit down and do the actions of the story with their scarves while I read the book. (I also kept a scarf in my left hand and did the action with them.)

I
Krista
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved, Like a WIndy Day. My kids loved Like A Windy Day. We took this book outside to read together at the park and it was perfect. The story is so creative, makes you want to jump up and start playing with the wind. I loved how much fun and how happy the girl is in this book. Smiles all around as the wind played stealing hats, wiping sheets, blowing leaves. The illustrations were beautiful!!! Must read
midnightfaerie
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great book for beginner readers and reading about a child wanting to be like the wind, flying around and making mischief. Not as much educational as enjoyable with beautiful illustrations.
Miss Sarah
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A young girl goes through her day saying all the things the wind does that she would like to do. Toddler and up.
Cheryl Rainfield
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love books that encourage creative thinking and dreaming, books that bring good feeling and feel inspiring. Like a Windy Day is just that kind of book.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

"I want to play like a windy day.
I want to zoom down hillsides
and race through streets.
I want to scatter seeds
turn windmills,
fly kites"

–Like a Windy Day, by Frank Asch, illustrated by Devin Asrch, p. 1-8.

Have you ever felt excited when the wind blows strongly, and wanted to join in? The girl in Like a Windy Day wants t
Vivian
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Father and son team Frank and Devin Asch put together this imaginative romp with the wind. The two to five year old children attending library story time were captivated by the book.

Visit the author's website here: http://www.frankasch.com/home.html

See what Goodreads member Vicki R. did with this story:
"This was such a good one for storytime! I used it with toddlers today, and before I began, I handed out our little chiffon scarf squares. We played with the scarves and waved them around while I
Tracey M. Cox
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
What can the wind do? In "Like A Windy Day" a child discovers the different stages of wind and how it can play.

"Like A Windy Day" will introduce children to the effects the wind has on people and the earth.

Devin Asch's illustrations will have you twirling and swirl your turn the page for new discoveries.

"Like A Windy Day" is written by Frank Asch.
Katherine Fountain
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Like a Windy Day is a fun story talking about the importance of wind and how it plays a role in our daily lives. The main character sets out to see all of the responsibilities that the wind has like turning wind mills, waves, wind chimes etc. and even moves along with the wind herself. This would be a great lesson to introduce wind and weather.
Kia M.
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
Like a Windy day has very nice illustrations throughout the entire book. This book would also go great with a mini science lesson focusing on wind. You could show your class all of the things that happen because of wind. For example, the turning of windmills, waving of flags, and the flying of kites.
Emily
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Used this at my summer camp- delightful and simple read-aloud book. Lots of nice details in the illustrations to discuss. Led into great movement activity of acting out what you would do if you were the wind in various scenarios and a journaling/drawing activity depicting what you would do if you were the wind.
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
A girl wants to play like the wind and do all the things that the wind can do: shake dew from a spider's web, steal hats, and lift birds and butterflies in the sky." Beautiful graphic illustrations sweep across double-page spreads and capture the mood.
Miss Niki
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: w-phoneme
This book was selected for the "W" phoneme.

Position of word:
Initial - 27 times; Additional practice can be found at the end of the book that includes 9 more opportunities to hear "w" at the beginnings of words.
Molly
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Not my favorite for some reason, but I like the idea of thinking about what it would be like to be the wind.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime Express April 20 & 21 2016.
Theme: Spring Weather
Heather
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. The illustrations were good enough, but the story dragged for us.
Erin
I want to play like a windy day is said over and over showing different ways a windy day plays.

Great for preschool or toddler storytimes.
David
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I really liked the personification of the wind. I can see the wind doing all of theses things mentioned in this story.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Such a sweet book! Perfect for our kite themed storytime today. Loved the illustrations.
Cortney Kittridge
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Could be good for teaching poetry. Not super engaging for children during a read aloud though.
Heather
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A beautiful childrens' book about a girl's adventure with the wind and the affect it has on everything around it. I loved the colors, the text and the poetic nature of the book.
Cws
May 20, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Asc
Elaine
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Loved the personification of the wind in this story. Also, the illustrations are captivating. This would be a great book for story time.
Karyn
Jul 20, 2013
Caroline
Jan 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...