Start by marking “The Popcorn Book” as Want to Read:
The Popcorn Book

The Popcorn Book

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  807 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
What popcorn is, how it's stored, and how it's cooked, plus legends and recipes.
Published January 1st 1978 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Popcorn Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Popcorn Book

midnightfaerie
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another great example of why we love Tomie de Paola. A book about a seemingly boring topic, popcorn, that gives an educational experience in a multitude of ways. Besides learning all about popcorn, what it's made of, and how to cook it, we also learn the history and traditions of many cultures around the world pertaining to popcorn. Some of the legends from particular cultures had fun pictures to go along with the stories that kept my kids involved and engaged, especially my 5 yr old. A wonderfu ...more
Heidi-Marie
Eh. Not bad. Not fabulous even thought the information was interesting. I do wonder just how much of that was truth, since there was no author's note to state what was myth, truth, folklore, etc. But I certainly want to eat some popcorn now!
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
"that's just learning about stuff." Little M calls this a one and done.
Kamillah
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, food
The Popcorn Book probably represents my first forray into food-themed literature! It recently made me smile to revisit one of my favorite books from childhood. Writing an engaging nonfiction book for young children requires a deft hand and Tomie dePaola succeeds with the The Popcorn Book.

The illustrations are inviting and cute and the prose is simple enough for young children to grasp, yet still engaging and informative. I also love how the book subtly encourages knowledge and curiosity. In the
Amber
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
At first glace I though this book as just going to have a sort of bonding element by eating popcorn but as I kept reading the author really added a learning aspect for children. The children’s mom stored popcorn in the fridge and the boys wondered why she did so and they looked it up in a book. I liked that they looked it up in a book rather than the Internet because younger children don’t really use books for research anymore. They also find out different facts about popcorn such as where it ca ...more
Doreen
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone...adults and children, both!
Recommended to Doreen by: saw it on the library shelf
Of course, only Tomie de Paola could write a book like this! It's entertaining AND informative...a perfect book to read to a child. After reading, you must pop some popcorn...the OLD-FASHIONED way! NOT in a microwave! Tomie lists the different varieties of corn and their specific traits. He tells about popcorn kernels that are more than 1,000 years old, found in several different countries. The story of popcorn in America and its history is included. All the while, twins Tiny and Tony are making ...more
Beckie Coldiron
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
" The Popcorn Book" would be great to use when exploring different forms of writing. This book is fascinating and informative, which could help children get an idea of what an informative piece looks like. Additionally, the back of the book provides popcorn recipes which help demonstrate step-by-step writing. To take this writing lesson to the next level, I'd have my students class make the popcorn by using the step-by-step directions. Or for a family project I'd have my students write out the s ...more
Shira Burns
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to integrate science and social studies into your classroom literature lesson. The text includes facts about the science of popcorn as well as Native American contribution to popcorn. Other facts in this text might have changed since it's publishing date, so if you choose to read this book as a read aloud, my advise would be to inform students of the publishing date and ask questions as to whether they believe the facts mentioned then are still the same today. I would us ...more
Jamaica
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Two boys want o make popcorn and they get interested in why the kernels were stored in the refrigerator. One boy reads a book about the history about popcorn. The other tries to cook the popcorn. The comic style pictures make it fun to flip pages.

I absolutely love popcorn! It is my favorite snack. I thought this book was really informational and enjoyable to read.

Class rooms could use it on the shelf as a good quiet time pick up or for whole class circles. The book is informational so each child
Rui
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young and old, young at heart, everyone
Loved this book, and I still do. I think it would be just as enjoyable to give this book to the kid and let the kid read it themselves, not just a "the parent has to read it to enjoy it" sort of book.
Both ways are good, and I absolutely adore the brilliance of having recipes in the end of the book --- not only does it act as motivation and a starting point for more learning, or family time, or creative thinking, it also gets kids thinking about cooking and making things and, ultimately, can lea
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades k-6
Summary: This book combines science and literature. It has the story of two brothers, one who is reading information about popcorn, and one who is cooking and making the popcorn. It has lots of interesting facts about popcorn; the different types, original use and location, discovery. The book has encyclopedia information presented in a more friendly way.
Response: A very original book with great illustrations. Great for multiple science units (popcorn, condensation, Native Americans). Non-ficti
September Michaud
Publication date: 1978

Mixes fiction with non-fiction. Good books for kids who want to learn more about simple cooking and food. The information is presented in a very accessible way which allows you to learn without feeling overloaded.

I'm not sure that this would keep children's attention during a story time, but it would be good for parents who want to take some time with their kids to make popcorn and learn about it's science and history.

I always love the pictures in de Paola's books, and I
HeavyReader
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just now remembered this book!

This is one of the earliest books I ever got from a school book order form, maybe the first one ever! So exciting!

I learned all about popcorn from this book.

I remember a story about how it got so hot one day, a whole field of popcorn popped! Did a donkey in this book's telling of the tall tale lay down and freeze to death, or was that just a funny story my pawpaw told? I can't remember.

But I do remember this book now, and I remember reading it over and over for y
Robin (jason&robin)
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book teaches about the history of popcorn, along with how to make it. The two boys make popcorn while discussing where popcorn has been found throughout history. They also discuss the different kinds of corn and why corn pops the way it does. The kids really enjoyed it and, along with reading the book, we made carmel corn together. There are a number of fun popcorn recipes online to make together and the book has 2 recipes in the back as well. I recommend it for kids that love eating popcor ...more
Alexa Maring
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
A wonderful selection to teach students about informational and sequencing styles of writing. I loved how this book offered history about popcorn. I did not know all of that information, but the book made the information interesting to learn. I know many teachers that use popcorn parties as an incentive in their classroom. Before the first party, read this book to create the text connection with students. When everyone in your class is eating popcorn, they will all be guaranteed to make some con ...more
Dolly
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and informative book about popcorn. The narrative is fairly short and the illustrations help add a bit of humor to the story. We attended a children's program in honor of National Popcorn Day and the facilitator read this book to us. Then we got to play games with and eat popcorn, so it was a fun way to celebrate the day (even though the official day is tomorrow). We enjoyed listening to this story together.
Meg Bell
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Although it has an older publishing date, this a fun book that combines the history of Native Americans with the statistics and scientific make-up of popcorn. Makes you hungry for popcorn just reading the book, and children enjoy picking out fun facts as they explore the book too...I even use this book in my classroom when I am teaching students about "How to" writing, as Tony and Tiny walk the reader through the popcorn making process...
Franki
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book for engaging in both science and multicultural classroom discussions.

Kids are fascinated by the locations popcorn has been found in, as well as the ways that popcorn has been prepared, and a wonderful lesson on the connected-differences among us can be taught as well a science lesson about how heat can cause so much internal pressure that the air can no longer be contained by the kernel, and delightful yumminess is the result.
Julie Graham 47150
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
DePaola gives a lot of information about popcorn: it's origin, why it pops, how to store it, and other fascinating facts.

Popcorn is my favorite snack so I always read this book to my class. This year we completed an alphabox activity after we read it. It was interesting to hear what words or facts "popped" in all the groups' minds for each of the letters of the alphabet. It was also fun to talk about our alphaboxes while we were eating popcorn.
Ashley Correll
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
The origin of popcorn and lots of neat facts are in this book. Popcorn has been cooked lots of different ways by many different groups of people. One thousand year old popcorn was found in Peru. indians of hte Americas cooked popcorn in clay pots, held corn cobs over the fire, threw handfulls of popcorn right into the fire, and even made popcorn soup. This book is good for a read-aloud and children will love learning about their favorite snack.
Joanie
Two brothers go on their journey to make popcorn. While one brother reads the facts about popcorn and its history, the other brother explores in the kitchen by making the popcorn and following the recipe...or so he thought. Fun book to tie-into math on a lesson about measuring and proportions. Great informational book to use as an example on how to write with the purpose to inform. We used this book in class for a lesson on sequencing to practice semantics.
Lauren Sharp
Informational Book 7
I was happy to find this book because I love popcorn! The history of popcorn was interesting about how it began with native Americans. There are many methods to making popcorn that have been perfected over the years it has been eaten. One thing I found interesting is that the Indian people had a legend that inside each popcorn kernel their lived a demon that he got so mad he blew up.
Jelisa
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek, popcorn
This book can be used as a fun tool to teach students about the history of popcorn and how different foods that we ear come from different areas around the world and different cultures. I think that it is great that this story allows us to see popcorn in a different way. The possibilities of what to do are endless. I could use this book for a fun hands on activity that allows students to count popcorn and bring some into class for them to taste.
Amy-Marie
A story about two brothers that want popcorn. one of them cooks it while the other researches what popcorn is. it shows all the different kind of popcorn and where it came from. the book also shows how the popcorn pops.This can show children the connections they are making in their everyday lives. they are learning math,science and history all while making a delicious snack. Grades: K-5 topic: the exploration of popcorn.
Betsy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
An information book about popcorn! How cool is that? dePaola packs this book with information and history all about one of America's favorite snacks. My kids and I are going to try it for breakfast with milk over it one of these mornings--did you know people used to use popcorn as money? So many interesting tidbits all presented while a pair of twins makes...popcorn. Two recipes in the back.

This is a touch wordy, so it's a better fit for elementary kids than preschoolers.
Sarah Kasper
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
"The Popcorn Book" would be a great book to use when teaching students about structure in writing. The book follows a writing structure where information is being presented at the same time that the two boys are talking about making their popcorn. I would have students explore this type of writing after I share with them how Tomie dePaola does it in "The Popcorn Book."
Betsy
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is like reading two stories in one. A fun fiction tale of two boys making popcorn and a non-fiction story with true facts about popcorn and some of the people throughout history that we know ate popcorn. It also has some popcorn recipes at the end. A great book to show varieties of writing style. 1st through 4th grade.
Isela
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: informative
This is an informative book about popcorn presented in quotes. However, I recommend presenting the publishing date to my students, so that they are aware of the use of the language. For example, "Popcorn was discovered by the Indian people...", Indian people comes from India not Central America. On the other hand the book is enjoyable but I would rather find another up-to date book.
Angela Moorer
Perfect book to teach about scientific reactions that occur!!! I loved how the author intertwined the history of popcorn while the overall story of the characters making their own snack was going on too. I would allow students to observe kernels and pop popcorn for a scientific experiement and utilize this book.
jacky
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read this today, but I recognized some of the pictures, so I think that I read it when I was young. It was cool how this book was informative, but also had a cute story going on at the same time. It would be a good way to show how two stories can go on at once and about print conventions meaning.
EDCI 325 Fall 2012: The Popcorn Book 1 3 Oct 10, 2012 10:33AM
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • From Seed to Plant
  • Even Steven And Odd Todd (level 3) (Hello Reader, Math)
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • The Quilt Story
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs
  • The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...