Start by marking “The Boy Who Wanted Wings” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Wanted Wings

The Boy Who Wanted Wings

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Aleksy, a dark-complexioned Tatar raised by a Polish peasant family, holds in his heart the wish is to become a Polish hussar, a lancer who carries into battle a device attached to his back that holds dozens of eagle feathers. As a Tatar and as a peasant, this is an unlikely quest. When he meets Krystyna, the daughter of the noble who owns the land that his parents work, h ...more
Published September 1st 2016 by James F Martin (first published August 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Wanted Wings, please sign up.
Maria Nowak The connection the book is referencing is that in 1683 on September 11, & 12. Christian Europe, specifically at this time in Austria which was…moreThe connection the book is referencing is that in 1683 on September 11, & 12. Christian Europe, specifically at this time in Austria which was considered the gateway to Christian Europe was under siege by Muslum forces, for many months. On those days in Sept. Allied Christian forces overran the Muslum forces causing them heavy losses and the Christian Forces winning the Altamont war. On Sept. 11, 2001, Muslum extremest ISIS Terrorist. Attacked the United States, Under there doctrine of the USA being a Christian country. (less)
James Martin Hi, Joanna,

Not as yet. The trilogy has been translated and did very well in Poland. I trust this one will be translated eventually.

Anntonette
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author knows how to tell a story - how to hook the reader in and elicit complex emotions. This novel grapples with religion, race, class, war, violence and the power of love to make all impossible things right. It is a hopeful book for our troubled times.
Carole Rae
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could hardly put this down. So good, so good. The beginning was a little slow, but after a few pages, I was utterly hooked. I finished this book in a couple of sittings. I needed to know how Aleksy was going to get what he desired and what he deserved.

I loved Aleksy! Even though some people treated him horribly, he had a big heart and he wanted to serve Poland.

Krystyna was okay. At first, I didn't really like her and I thought Aleksy deserved someone better, but she proved herself and her lo
Jo
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I won this in the giveaways in exchange for an honest review. This novel set in 17th century Poland centres around peasant boy Aleksy, his forbidden love for a girl of a higher status and his adventures. I struggled with the author's writing style at times and found the story dragged a fair bit.
Kevin Folliard
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Martin's latest historical fiction tale is all at once an endearing love story and a spectacular war story, rich with complex underdog protagonists, fascinating slices of European history, vivid imagery, and timeless themes of tradition vs. passion, fate, and prejudice. The Boy Who Wanted Wings is a compelling story for fans of history, romance, action, and adventure. It is expertly plotted to keep readers deeply invested in the characters' hopes and dreams while masterfully pacing its many conf ...more
Jack Schmidt
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that THE BOY WHO WANTED WINGS: Love in the Time of War by
James Conroyd Martin is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Stephanie Burkhart
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Martin pens an engaging story full of intrigue with “The Boy
Who Wanted Wings.” Set in 1683, an Ottoman/Turkish
invasion force has surrounded Vienna, intent on bringing
Islam to a Christian Europe. If Vienna falls, so falls Europe.
Nations band together to repel the threat. King Jan Sobieski
III of Poland gathers his Hussars and Army to join the fight.
According to Martin’s historical note, this event was a pivotal
one in European history.

“The Boy Who Wanted Wings” is told through the fictional
lens
Sue
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, I won this book on Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

I truly enjoyed Martin's "The Boy Who Wanted Wings." Martin is a great story teller. His story of a young, Polish boy (Alesky) who wanted to be in the military, along with the story of his love for a young girl (Krystyna) who was in a higher class than himself tugged me in at the very beginning. I could barely put the book down once I started.

The book takes place during a time period in history when Poland had one of the most
Katrina Shawver
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A teenage love story lies at the core of this story, a somewhat timeless tale of conflict, does he get the girl, loses the girl, what will happen? But in this case, Martin has chosen the setting of Poland, 1683, and the seige of Vienna. Don't know about the siege of Vienna? Neither did I before I read The Boy Who Wanted Wings, but I learned a whole lot without the story being a history lesson. I like historical fiction that is both accurate, and that there is a takeaway. I've read Martin's Polis ...more
Rebecca King
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book! The character development of this book and his previous books "The Poland Trilogy was in depth and articulate. I want to "feel" and "relate to the characters and love his writing style. I was sorry to finish it and there could be a sequel written for our dear Alexsy and his love.
It was also very refreshing to learn many things about Polish history and their fight for their country.
Such a proud, classy people to have had so many intrusions and invasions in their homeland.
I
Helen Hollick
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
"The author impressed me with the detailed depiction of warfare, military operations and equipment, class, culture and societal norms. While such details can be distracting in other novels, here they were spot on and served their purpose well."
Peggy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I had a hard time getting into this book from the beginning, once I got through the first few chapters I ended up really liking it. Set in Poland during the invasion of the Taters, I learned a lot about the time period while reading a poignant love story.
Diane Cook
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having just taken s trip to Poland this book was seeped in History. Excellent!
Megan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. It provided detail about a time in Polish history that I wasn't overly aware about. Martin certainly knows how to hook a reader and keep the story moving through various twists and turns. I just wish his endings were a bit better.
Terry Pearson

May 19, 2018
Mary Fols
Jun 17, 2018
Debbie Peet
rated it did not like it
May 01, 2017
Jul 19, 2017
Janet Harris
Dec 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
James Conroyd Martin is the author of Push Not the River, a novel based on the diary of Anna Berezowska, a Polish countess who lived through the rise and fall of the Third of May Constitution. After working on the project for some years without raising interest within the publishing community, Martin self-published in 2001. Just one year later, St. Martin’s Press purchased the book and released a ...more