Start by marking “The Art of Being Emily” as Want to Read:

(Emily #1-3)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Together for the first time in one volume are the previously published first three entries in the Emily series.

The Year My Life Went Down the Loo:

When sixteen-year-old Emily’s family uproots her from Seattle to England right before her junior year, she has to adjust to a whole new lingo, new friends, and a serious lack of malls. Luckily, hunkalicious British boys do exist
Published August 23rd 2016 by Racing Pigeon Productions

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Being Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Being Emily

Dawn Oliver
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was seriously a laugh out loud, get strange looks from everyone around you kind of book! I laughed until I couldn't read through the tears throughout the 3 stories contained in this collection of short stories. Definitely a recommended read! Now onto the next one...
Leona
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Art of Being Emily
This was a little hard to read in the beginning because it was all done in e-mail format. But after reading for a while I caught the flow. Emily is such a hoot. She is 16 and as a typical teenager gets upset with her parents (especially brother, her name for her father)
She is taken to a foreign country for a year and seems to get into trouble no matter where she is. She makes friends easily especially boys. She falls in love at the drop of a hat but is still smart enough to
Mary McCormick
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these three novellas by Katie Macalister. The Year My Life Went Down The Loo covers the period during which Emily is a 16-year-old Seattle teen, whose life is literally turned upside down when her family moves to England. Emily tells us her story in email form as she writes to her friend Dru back in the States. Makeup, boys, Liam Hemsworth and trying to fit into a new school obsess Emily. Oh and did I mention she calls her father Brother which is strange but fits. There are kilt ...more
Amy Lochmann
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Art of Being Emily is a compilation of the first three books in the "Emily" series by Katie MacAlister. I first read these books years ago when they were first published under Katie Maxwell. I really enjoyed them and come to find out later they we by one of my favorite authors!

Emily is an American teen that moves to England for a year with her family due to her dad's job. The stories are each told by Emily to her best friend, Dru, vie email. This sounds like it may make a confusion set up,
Lajean
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest, I don't often read YA books and while I had seen the title on Katie Mac's books I sorta passed over it because of the classification. Boy, did I mess up! These are are so much fun to read! I am so glad that I accepted the challenge to read the Compendium of the Emily books! Emily is such a great character and I will be willing to bet many will see themselves as teenagers in her, I know I did. From the adventures in a different country to trying to figure out boys and juggling lon ...more
Katy
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of three really fun young adult novels following Emily and her adventures. True to Katie MacAlister form, Emily goes through a series of adventures in her European travels. I think one of the best things about this book is she manages to tell the story and keep things humorous and fast paced, while also keeping Emily realistic with her teenage drama! this is a must read for teens and adults who like young adult fiction!
Amanda Grafius
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katie Macalister has never failed me. I started this compendium not sure what to expect but she delivered everything I've grown to love her for. Quick wit, strong female leads, handsome guys...although this is a teen novel, it kept me entertained the whole way through. I could just see me or my kids saying and doing some of the things she wrote. If you're looking to be able to just relax and laugh, this is your read! ENJOY!
Al
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A different Katie MacAlister book. Not sure I enjoy the format of reading e-mails from Emily as she goes through England, Scotland and Paris. Adventures, yes. But a bit less of the dry humor that I appreciate in Katie's other books. Interesting enough that I will probably get the next in the series.
Toni
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I truly enjoyed the back & forth emails between Emily and her friend in Seattle. Emily is funny and dramatic. I was confused at first about who Brother is but once I realized it is a nick-name not a sibling designation it worked, weird but works.
Kate
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Katie's books and this compendium was no exception. I do tend to prefer her adult writings, but this was still a fun romp full of culture clashes and hunky guys. I look forward to seeing how Katie ages this series up and where Emily's story is headed.
Katie
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This book had me laughing from the very beginning. I couldn't put my phone down. I also got a few weird looks because I would read while waiting for appointments and what not and I would bust out laughing.
Sara
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I read these when they were originally published, and I just read them recently. I laughed out loud (disruptively in one case, be aware) many, many times. Totally appropriate for a teen girl, clean and funny!
Esther
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
not extraordanairyor anything but fun
Aly "Aly"  Diane
Ren
Oct 29, 2016
Shelley
Mar 08, 2017
Katie Maxwell is a pseudonym of Katie MacAlister .

Katie MacAlister is a Seattle-area author of fiction and non-fiction. Her most popular titles are historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance. She also writes Young Adult books under the pseudonym Katie Maxwell and Mysteries under the pseudonym Kate Marsh.

About Katie

as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up i

Emily (6 books)
  • The Year My Life Went Down the Loo (Emily, #1)
  • They Wear WHAT Under Their Kilts? (Emily, #2)
  • What’s French For “Ew”? (Emily, #3)
  • The Taming of the Dru (Emily, #4)
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Hotties (Emily, #5)
  • You Auto-Complete Me (An Emily Novel Book 1)