Start by marking “Prince and Pirate” as Want to Read:
Prince and Pirate

Prince and Pirate

When two little fish with big personalities have to share the same tank, there are rough seas ahead!

Prince and Pirate are proud masters of their very own fishbowls, and life goes along swimmingly--until they're scooped up and plopped into shared waters.
Prince is horrified to find this cheeky cod trespassing in his kingdom.
Pirate is sure this scurvy sea slug has come t
Published May 9th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Prince and Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince and Pirate

Gina
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I find it very probable that if you took two fish that had been living alone in their bowls and had them share a tank, that even with the larger space there could be some conflicts.

I am not sure that piscine conflicts could be resolved with the addition of a dogfish, but children reading could easily bond over a pet, so I'm going to allow it.
Kelly Gunderman
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

The first thing that caught my eye about Prince and Pirate was definitely the cover and the title - I could tell right away that this book was going to be a lot of fun. The cover is so well designed, and let's face it - who doesn't want to read an adorably illustrated tale about two fish, a prince and a pirate?

As soon as I opened the book when it arrived (thank you so much, Penguin!), my four year old daughter
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"When two little fish with big personalities have to share the same tank,
there are rough seas ahead!"

Prince and Pirate is fun children's book full of bright, vivid illustrations that will engage the reader and a fun, entertaining story that will keep the reader's attention right up until the last page.

Prince and Pirate tell the story of two fish who both want to be the "king" of the fish tank and they both work so hard to prove who is the best...until......a new fish arrives. Once DogFish ar
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Gunnufson, Charlotte Prince and Pirate, pictures by Mike Lowery. PICTURE BOOK. Putnam’s (Penguin), 2017. $17.

Prince and Pirate were each content ruling their separate watry kingdoms. Then one day they are thrown into the same, larger, tank. Neither is willing to make way for the other, until a third party comes along and they realize that playing together might be much more fun.

Who doesn’t love a good pirate story! This will be so much fun to read aloud!

Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL. Cindy, Librar
Lynn
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be another silly fish/friendship story, but it is original by being set in an aquarium. I can imagine a youngster with a new aquarium making up this story as he watches his new fish!
Text and dialogue includes appropriate language for young princes and pirates, and would be great fun to read aloud. Some words in larger, colored font beg to be read a-LOUD and with feeling.
Full color illustrations support and extend the text, allowing the reader to watch carefully.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This book is just fun! Two fish, who could not be more opposite, are forced to share a tank with each other. The Prince and the Pirate fish do not agree on anything, until a new fish arrives in the tank. The new dogfish helps them to find common ground and to be happy, by golly. The fish finally see that they don't need to be divided anymore.

FULL REVIEW https://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/...
Nicola
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I imagine the moment where they use white pebbles to draw a line in the sand and separate out which parts of the fish tank belong to each of them would be familiar to those who shared a room with a sibling growing up!

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Mary
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Prince fish and Pirate fish have to learn to get along in this story when they are removed from their private kingdoms and placed in a collective one. It isn't until a dogfish is introduced that the two decide to be friends. Filled with pirate phrases and princely swagger, the text is highly characterized and the illustrations are silly.
Shannon
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The kids at storytime really loved this one. They loved the different kinds of language used by the prince and the pirate, and the antics of the two silly fish had them laughing the whole time. Add in the feel-good ending and the lesson that a lovable pet can bring people together, and you've got an all-around excellent picture book.
Lisa
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would be such a good story to do for a children's time. there could be two readers for the prince and the pirate. The craft could be fish or a fishtank or even a dog for the other fish. They were battling eachother. This was cute and teaches children that common goals can bring peace and harmony in a relationship.
Serenity
This is a cute little book about two fish who are forced to share a tank and eventually learn to get along. It might make a fun readaloud. The illustrations are vivid and imaginative.

*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher*
Perry
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Parents will enjoy reading it just and much as their kids. Great book to read out loud to kids and talk like a Pirate(or at least try to)! The illustration style fits perfectly with the characters.
Lynn Nielsen
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great kids book. Little ones will love all the silly words "ye scurvy", "barnacled bloomers""scurvy sea slug". Plus its a wonderful story. The illustrations matched right up with the cute story. A+++
Serina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of fish books this year but I think this one is the most appealing and accessible to kids. Two fish in tank are conceited and fight, then come together. I thought the conflict was easy to understand without getting obnoxious.
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun story about two fish who end up in the same tank and must learn to get along. A great message about how we don't have to be alike to get along and how we are stronger together combines with fun text and fantastic illustrations for some read aloud laughs and fun. Definitely recommended!
Marci Sanchez
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute story with a powerful lesson about putting aside differences and learning to live together. I loved the sweet illustrations and the use of onomatopoeia (plip, plop, splash) made the story silly and fun to read! As a librarian I highly recommend this book for children! Great read!
Stacy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book would be fun to read during a storytime using different voices. The kids would get a kick out of it.
Jenn Swanson
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two fish with two very big personalities are forced to share a fish tank. My daughter enjoyed this story and I did too. The illustrations were interesting as well. Would recommend.
Heather Jo
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Mary
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Good read-aloud for 3-6 y/o. Funny and cute, nice illustrations.
Paige intheBooks
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
kids will enjoy reading this one
Vl
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I loved this story - the scaly wag and royal castles🐰🐰 I liked the dog fish too.. my 7 yr old review :)
Tracie
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two fish discover they are not alone in the universe when they are transferred to a bigger tank.
Cassie
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute book, but the story is hard for a little kid to follow, especially with all the royal and pirate-y slang.
Susan Foster
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one definitely made me chuckle. The prince and pirate characterizations and dialogue are too funny. I love how and why they come together, too.
Edward Sullivan
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two haughty goldfish must share the same tank and learn to get along.
Monica
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Hilarious! Will make a good read aloud with different character voices.
Corinne
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-book
A very cute premise about two very different personalities having to share a space. Writing could be stronger. Didn't capture and hold attention.
Joy Lane
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very cute. Good for 2nd and 3rd grade. AR 3.1 and 0.5 pts
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Charlotte grew up in Minnesota, bossed by an older sister (who once tricked Charlotte into eating a worm) and pestered by a younger brother (who, among other misdemeanors, blew out the candles on Charlotte's birthday cake). Charlotte has since escaped to Iowa, where she writes and teaches Zumba Fitness classes. She has one handsome husband, three remarkable children, two blue cats, and five orange ...more