Start by marking “Edgeland” as Want to Read:
Edgeland

Edgeland

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
An upper-middle grade thriller by the New York Times bestselling Nightfall authors perfect for fans of James Dashner's Maze Runner books.

Thousands of miles south of the island of Bliss, day and night last for 72 hours. Here is one of the natural wonders of this world: a whirlpool thirty miles wide and a hundred miles around. This is the Drain. Anything sucked into its fro
Published May 9th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Edgeland, please sign up.
Zoe I have read both, but basically they are set in the same world, which you learn more about by reading them both, but I dont think you have to.
Paige OMG!!! I'm so ready! I read Nightfall and all of the Dormia books and I can not wait for Edgeland!!

Gray Cox
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not the hugest fantasy fan like I use to be, sadly. But I did enjoy this!

Strangely enough it was another cultish kind of read, what with the religion and all in the world being more cult-like, so I think I'm going to end up looking back at 2018 and realizing I went through a really weird cult phase. *shrugs*

I feel bad because I don't really have that much to say about this book, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised when the two main characters remained completely platonic, I know
Becky
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Wren is an orphan living at the edge of the world. Literally. Known as a grayling, Wren scavenges Edgeland for anything and everything she can use to escape. This includes scouring the water surrounding the island for treasures left behind by the dead. But when Wren is caught standing over the body of a murdered religious official, her plans are thrown into fast forward.

Her best friend Alec is an apprentice at one of the most famous Bone Houses in all of Edgeland. It's his job to help ready the
Trisha
Tense and tight, this dystopian challenges the notion of religion and faith.
Sara Lastine
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angela Blount
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Originally reviewed for YA Books Central: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaficti...

A Middle Grade fantasy with some dystopian and supernatural appeal.

The island of Edgeland sits on the very fringe of the known world. It is the last stop for the dead, before their very literal descent into what is believed to be a sort of Purgatory. The inhabitants of the island thrive on the business of preparing and sending off the dearly deceased. Some, like young Alec, work for the bone houses—elaborate funer
Sophie Jones
This book wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe thats why I didn't enjoy it as much as others.

First off I didn't expect this to be a book based on what it was. The religions and the way the world worked was a complete shock. It took me a while to get my head around. There was also a lot of explanation and world building in the beginning chapters which bored me slightly. But in saying that, just as the world was becoming built and I was getting used it we were pulled away from it and dragged into a
Leanne Jones
I was so excited to read this book. I pre-ordered it from amazon a month before its release. I needed the paperback to match my copy of Nightfall. I spent a long while deciding which version to get for my library and I settled on paperback.

ETA I just got an email saying there's a delivery estimate update. It says it will be here June 5, but it hasn't yet shipped. I hope it is true! I'd be so happy.
ETA Now it says it will arrive on May 31. That is exciting! If this review is the reason it's final
Yeng Khang
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Edgeland is a fiction/thriller/adventure/fantasy book that has the potential of surprising you with all kinds of plot twists as you read. The book may be geared towards many younger readers, but it has the potential to catch the attention much more older readers too.

Wren an orphan who are also known as graylings was kicked out of her boarding house as she struggles to live along with other graylings all over Edgeland who try to survive as she hopes to leave Edgeland an island separated from the
Rachael
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
To be honest I was a little apprehensive going into this. I loved Nightfall and was thrilled at the prospect of getting a continuation of Marin, Kana and Line's story. So I was, in all honesty, a little disappointed to find out we were getting a whole new set of characters just set in the same world.

Now I'm thrilled this had nothing to do with our previous characters. There was such an expansion to the world by taking it to a whole new place, a new culture. I loved the little connections back to
TheCosyDragon
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Drain is designed to take the rich dead through to the afterlife. No-one knows what is actually beyond the drop, but when a death boat accidentally takes a funeral payment with it, Alec and Wren fall in. If they are ever to get out of the Drain they will have to understand its problems and its secrets,

Wren is a plucky heroine that seems to be
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: One of the authors is an old friend.

I really enjoyed this. It's in the same vein and universe as their last book, Nightfall, and it has the same elements that made that book so enjoyable:

-Heroic, resourceful, loyal kid protagonists who truly trust and lean on each other,
-Really terrifying problems and mysteries to deal with,
-Creepy and vivid world-building,
-Kids who are living with real struggles (poverty, class, the fight for survival in hard circumstances, death, abandonment),
Tessa Joy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the island of Edgeland, the main business is funerals. People from all over the world ceremonially float their dead into a nearby ocean hole called the Drain. Many believe the Drain is a gateway to purgatory, the waiting place before moving on to heaven or hell. Alec works for the best funeral home on the island and he acquires a major client. Unfortunately, his payment is accidentally placed on a barge heading for the Drain. Alec and Wren, Alec’s best friend, attempt to retrieve the funds, b ...more
The Book Reader Supreme
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Candias
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All young readers
The cover art for this book is beautiful. The concept of this book is unlike anything I have read before and the story is very engaging from the start. The story unfolded organically and contains beautiful and fantastical imagery. I appreciate that the main characters are younger and that the book deals with intense religious issues such as what comes after death. I like how the two sides came together and how both religious sides had good and bad within them. I wish the book went a bit more in- ...more
Sean
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this world created by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski. The world building is wonderful and both stories (Nightfall and Edgeland) leave me with wanting more time in this complex and nuanced world. I really enjoy that this story (much like Nightfall) does not take place over a large amount of time. This keeps the pace pumping. I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator (Karissa Vacker) did an amazing job. The characters are complex, dark, and charming. I found myself tho ...more
Alexa Hamilton
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Lots of gripping action in this fantasy about the dead and the dying and the industry surrounding them in this fantasy world. Characters were fairly well-drawn for a short, action-packed novel. Despite the different factions and the obvious parallels to things in our world, this was not a morality tale and there were few overt references to any messages that could be drawn. Speedy read for fantasy lovers.
Heather Penner
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg
There is a circular waterfall where the ocean “drains” - and that is where everyone from all religious groups send their dead. But where do the bodies really go? And what happens if a pair of living kids accidentally fall down the Drain?

I really enjoyed this pair’s previous book, Nightfall. In comparison, this book seemed more simplistic and less suspenseful, but still enjoyable. Upper MG, with some creepiness (same as their last book).
Maywoodbooks
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really interesting concept- it might have done better as a YA... there were a lot of mature concepts and with a deeper plot, it could have made a really fantastic YA novel. As a juvenile fiction, it could maybe be a bit confusing: the story is a commentary on religion and afterlife (which might be a little heavy for the target age range).
Mark Richards
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting premise for this book. I liked the relationship between the two main characters; they are solid friends and nothing else. A great middle grades read with good discussion points about morality and differing viewpoints. How different are we really? Some good nail biting moments punctuated with great action. great for boys and girls.
Ryan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it's not a sequal to the wonder that is "Nightfall" but it does take place in the same world. It has similar elements of their being a mystery and a strong female and male lead but the rest is unique. Has interesting characters and plenty of action and adventure. I hope the authors continue to write about the world they have created for Nightfall and Edgeland.
Joy Lane
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The eternal question…what happened to you after you die? Who would have thought that it could be manipulated and would get political? It is a hard book to categorize.
I was compelled to read to the end, even though I was constantly thinking WHAT??? I found it convoluted but hung in with it.
Lauren
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-mid-grade
I really enjoy this writing duo. They perfectly create a complex reading experience for high level mid-grade readers and teens alike.

Like NIGHTFALL, EDGELAND is spooky and dark, but ultimately redeeming and hopeful. Kind of reminds me of a Doctor Who episode!
Valerie
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really interesting tale about the afterlife. I felt that the ending was tied up just a little too nicely; would have been great if there had been more detail or with the survivors had gone back to their families and their response.
Will
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an interesting tale and intriguing premise, but the book resolves in a very underwhelming, if not disappointing ending. The book is easy to read and enjoyable for the most part but leaves an unsatisfying taste of underdeveloped antagonists.
Dawn Taylor
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept that moves forward at a quick pace. I have a lot of students that are going to really like this one.
Lelia
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn’t love this. Didn’t even like it really. A dystopian novel that challenges the notion of religion that never really got my attention. Dragged on in the middle and had an unsatisfying ending.
Kristy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun and engaging. Unique world building.
Carrie
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't quite as good as "Nightfall" but I still enjoyed it.
Sallyavena
Dystopian type novel that deals with death and the afterlife...kind of creepy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)