Start by marking “Extracted (Extracted Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extracted (Extracted Trilogy, #1)

Extracted

(Extracted Trilogy #1)

In 2061, a young scientist invents a time machine to fix a tragedy in his past. But his good intentions turn catastrophic when an early test reveals something unexpected: the end of the world.

A desperate plan is formed. Recruit three heroes, ordinary humans capable of extraordinary things, and change the future.

Safa Patel is an elite police officer, on duty when Downing St
Published March 1st 2017 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Extracted, please sign up.

KayW4
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
At first I was really excited about this book - its British setting was refreshing, the pace was good, and the whole thing seemed like a pretty jolly time-travel action adventure story. F bombs don't bother me. But what did bother me was the unbelievably naive and frankly idiotic take on 1) female characters, and 2) terrorist attacks. I can just imagine this author patting himself on the back for creating such a "strong female character" as Safa. Oh sure. The character we're introduced to as she ...more
Allison
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
This book was a tour de force of mediocrity, poor research, and casual misogyny.
Andrew Smith
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was attracted to this book by a number of rave reviews. And it was cheap (Audible daily deal). And I like time travel and apocalyptic tales – both boxes this one purported to tick. For a while I thought I'd struck gold, as three tales concerning people executing extraordinary deeds of bravery were told in quick succession. I loved these vignettes – each character was brilliantly brought to life and the accounts of the deeds themselves were expertly told. I was sucked in big time. Each of these ...more
Chris
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
*I got this book free from the Kindle First program

This book really started great. The moments where the three main characters were introduced, their actions, and how they were taken out of their timeline were wonderful and exciting. Once all three were together, I ended up DNFing this.

I was really disappointed and hesitant to quit, but the dialogue between the three (and the other side characters too) was just imbecilic. The head guy of this whole project seemed to be a moron. The three main ch
Andy Coleman
Feb 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
A SIMPLE MAN'S REVIEW:

The one of the stars of my rating is for the idea behind this story. Who doesn't love time travel? Plus there is sort of a "Stargate" feel to the device. I went into this book with high hopes and the story starts off strong. But...

There are no more stars to give because this book is pointless. Literally. There is no point to this book (other than setting up the next book). Sure, we get to know the three main characters, but since this isn't an autobiography, there needs to
Fabi
This book is good. Really good!

But the narration by Carl Prekopp is great. Nothing short of brilliant! 5+++++++ stars. I could listen to this man narrate books 24/7 and never get tired of listening.

I am in love with these characters. I don't know who I love more, the characters or the narrator.

I feel like chanting "Harry and Safa and Ben! - Harry and Safa and Ben!"

The theme runs along the lines of Dark Matter, but the plot is spun differently. Extracted moves at a fast clip, with loads of dry wi
Marla
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Two stars, only because I finished it. Nothing happened in this book. Lots of action, but no meat. Filling your book with unrealistic fight scenes does not make a plot.

The characters were unbelievable. Safa? Please. This guy is trying to write a "strong woman," but the only way he did that was to make her a potty mouth and able to fight (unrealistically well against multiple men much larger than she is). NO strong woman I know would put up being repeatedly sexually assaulted at her job, she woul
Paula Kellogg
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Absolutely nothing happens in this book. Also, any girl that is mentally, emotionally, and sexually assaulted does not decide to take one for the team and throw herself at another man. She also doesn't walk around in front of other men in just her underwear that's not something that a woman who is been repeatedly assaulted does. Feels like it's been written by a 12-year-old boy who just saw his first pair of boobs.
Shelley
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The sad thing is that this is a book that didn't need to be written. This book is backstory for something else; it's like the first RPG game in a campaign where the party meets each other: contrived and silly but necessary to go on. (Unfortunately, no one told the author that.)

Still, despite reading like middle-aged-man wish-fulfillment, it was promising and when the editor was working, entertaining. Some of the stabs at humor are actually funny.

But. You knew there was a but, right? Here we go
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, what we got here is a mixed bag. This book will be an individual experience I suspect (not that all books aren't individual experiences to one extent or another). For my money this could have been a much better read (and "my money" applies here as the book was offered on sale on Audible and I bought it based on the synopsis.)

There are 2 "biggish" problems with the book. The first is a characterization problem. One of the characters (I'm steering a bit close to a spoiler here so i won't say
Alatea
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
What. Was. That.

The beginning was promising. Maybe not the Safa's part (view spoiler), but I really enjoyed others.

Then I had lots of wtf is happening? moments. And, to be fair, I think I didn't get it. The whole book. All that training part that seemed kinda forced and there were too much of it. Yeah, yeah, characters needed time to develop (but, aside Ben, did they?...) and we needed to get to know them and their stories. St
Kinsey
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pros: Interesting premise and snappy, humorous dialogue.

Cons: Obviously written by a man (see: casual misogyny, Safa's (completely idiotic) hero worship of Ben, and the complete disregard of the long-lasting effects of sexual assault). Honestly, Ben. As in...everything about him. Kill him off and let Safa and Harry kiss and this book would've instantly been 98% better.

I'll hang around for the sequel just because I'm interested in seeing how the whole thing plays out after that last scene.
Christaaay
“The first trip fifty years into the future showed a society and species advancing as it should. The second trip, to the same point and location, revealed a post-apocalyptic wasteland.”

About : A young scientist creates a time machine and discovers that the word ends in 2111. He needs a hero—quickly. In a matter of weeks, three heroes are selected and “extracted” from their own times to save the world:

Safa Patel, a police officer stationed at Downing Street to protect the prime minister; “Mad Ha
Erin-Elizabeth
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3 stars to RR Haywood’s Extracted.

After reading the reviews of this I was a little conflicted. Some were positive, some hugely negative but I decided to see for myself.

The characterisation here is variable. After what is a really powerful, exciting start, it loses momentum in the middle and starts to drift. The voice of the characters is inconsistent between their action and then the sometimes very juvenile dialogue they share.

It follows Ben, Safa and Harry. Three powerful individuals in their
Dawn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was hard to rate. I liked the characters, the dialogue between them was great and really funny at times. The story was based on a, time travel broke the world, we need to go and fix it, scenario but it was really well written and I found myself glued to the book at times. The times when I wasn't glued to the book was when one character had a mental breakdown that lasts over a third of the book (it seemed like more) traps the story in one place with the characters eating, sleeping, trai ...more
Sabrina
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
So much potential

The beginning was interesting. The end was interesting. The middle, which was way too long, was god awful. It. Was. So. Boring. A slog. Nothing to enjoy, just getting to the other side to see if it got better. It did. Not sure it was worth it though.
weasal
Mar 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this. I liked the concept and I liked two of the main characters. But...oh my god, if I had to hear the words Ben Ryder one more time, I was on the verge of stomping on my phone. This book should not be titled Extracted, it should be called The Very Boring Breakdown of Some Idiot Called Ben Bloody Ryder (Very Little Time Travel Adventures Included). I mean I can see the point in showing how being thrust into a situation like that wouldn't necessarily bring out identical r ...more
Kristīne Līcis
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes there comes a book that you didn't know you wanted to read, but that turns out exactly what you needed, either as palate cleanser, or as life-changing wake-up call. "Extracted" was my long-needed entertainment.

I am well-aware of the flaws of this book. You get your standard-issue stereotypical heroes set - the main (and in this case very reluctant) hero, the main heroine, the humorous (somewhat) third person, you get your draw-out action scenes, you get convenient but doubtful chain of
Sarah Ames-Foley
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-read-in-2017, dnf
I made it exactly halfway through this book and then had to stop. Once the characters' backstories ended, they became so boring to me. Their interactions feel so forced and I completely stopped caring about the plot. If the entire book had been written like the character introductions, I would have given it 5 stars. As is, I cannot finish it.
Soo
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Mini-Review:

1) Carl Prekopp's narration grew on me. I like his voices for the main three characters but everyone else sounds the same. It took several attempts to get into the story but I'm glad I kept trying because I enjoyed the book.

2) Be patient and gloss over some of the redundancy that happens in the audiobook. It's worth it.

Kev was right. I do like this story. Time travel has been made possible and bad guys get their hands on it. The future becomes a place of destruction and a small tea
India
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When three extraordinary people wake up in a concrete bunker, they are understandably confused but over the next few days and then weeks things will become even more surreal. Inventing a time machine is great until it interferes with the world’s ability to exist at all. What they need are three highly intelligent, highly trained individuals to right the wrongs but extracting these people isn’t as easy as it sounds and keeping them focus turns out to be even harder.

As time travel novels go this o
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book started out so great. The first three chapters kept me up way too late, and I finally went to bed thinking what a great book it was going to be...and then it just fell apart to the point that I have to stop reading. I've actually never seen a book go from awesome to horrible so quickly. The minute the three main characters meet and start to interact, the book sinks like a rock.

I have a theory about what happened. The author wrote three amazing chapters, convinced someone to publish the
Lorna
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Listened to this on audible after a friend sent it to me to try. I never would chose anything time travel, sci fi or fantasy themed etc ever myself, so thought I’d try something different. Whilst it started ok and the three main characters stories were interesting, it soon got very dull and pretty ridiculous. I found the middle slow and the last quarter difficult to get through. The female character could have been great, but did we really need constant reference to how pretty she was, and the b ...more
Nessie McInness
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooked
There is one thing worse than using a female character for the sole purpose of being a sex object:

It's using a female character whose only purpose is being a sex object BUT sugarcoating it with physical prowess and sass. Wait wait! Cross that. Not sass. Anger.

And the only other female character is an absolutely despicable person.

ALSO, deliver on the premise!!! Argh
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Extracted is a difficult book to like. If you do like it (and I did end up doing so), it’s difficult to say why. It’s not particularly well-written. While the dialogue cracked me up, the writing was generally just a bit off. The book starts, stops, and sputters along, frequently finding a rhythm and then falling away from it. There are flashes of brilliance that make you want to love it, but those flashes are almost drowned in the mediocrity surrounding them.

I think one of the reasons I ended up
Patricia
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received this free from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
This is a time travel, apocalyptic (though it hasn't happened yet), mystery story.
I absolutely loved this story. I love the premise, I love the characters, I love the whole what-if quality. Didn't care too much for the language (f-bombs and stronger words can sometimes detract from enjoying the story) but on the whole very enjoyable and I am definitely going to read the next book.
Pauline Ennis
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a rip roaring start to a four book series. some of the sequences leave you breathless. Harry and Ben for me the stand outs. yes time travels been done, but this is fresh and fast paced. its a testament to Mr Haywoods skill that he can move seamlessly from the world of The Undead to a new series, with new characters and yet hook us from chapter one.
Sophie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
NetGalley copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book! It is very original, well-written and incredibly well-researched. I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, time-travel and general great writing. It was fast-paced, with great characters and a lot of action!
Patrick Hester
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Didn't go where I thought it would, which was cool. Got a little darker than I thought, too. Ending is abrupt as if someone cut it off with the slash of a red pen and said, "NO! The rest needs to be another book." Sigh.
Caron
I received this book from the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Extracted tells the story of three people who were taken from their respective timelines at the point of their deaths-extracted- and are now looked to be the last hope at the world being saved. Very 'Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope'-esque.

The synopsis for this book alone was well thought out. It doesn't say much, but it gets you interested, which is precisely the point. As this is the first book in
Kindle Unlimited ...: Extracted (trilogy) by RR Haywood 1 11 May 26, 2018 07:38AM
  • Ocean of Storms
  • The Breaking Light (Split City #1)
  • Black Rain
  • Renegades (The Progenitor Trilogy, #2)
  • Convergent Space
  • The World Walker (The World Walker, #1)
  • Enemy (On the Bons of Gods #1)
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
  • Myth (Guardians of the Word, #2)
  • The Locket Thief
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 (Drifters' Alliance, #1)
  • Destroyer (Rewinder #2)
  • Song of Edmon (Fracture World #1)
  • Extinction Reversed (Robot Geneticists Book 1)
  • Dogs of War
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • Hide and Seek (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 3)
RR Haywood was born in Birmingham, England but has spent most of his life living on the beautiful south coast. He has had a passion for reading for as long as he can remember.
One of his favourite genres is Post-Apocalyptic fiction and he has worked his way through every book he could find. Some were great and some not so great and what he wanted was a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day det

Extracted Trilogy (3 books)
  • Executed (Extracted Trilogy, #2)
  • Extinct (Extracted Trilogy, #3)
“That humans have conscious thought is the one thing that separates them from everything else, but that conscious thought has wrought more damage than all of the combined life that went before them.” 2 likes
“What the actual fuck? I mean . . . what the actual fucking fuck?’ ‘I’m” 2 likes