Start by marking “God's Last Breath (Bring Down Heaven, #3)” as Want to Read:
God's Last Breath (Bring Down Heaven, #3)

God's Last Breath

(Bring Down Heaven #3)

Acclaimed author Sam Sykes returns with the exhilarating conclusion to his Bring Down Heaven series.

The great demon Khoth-Kapira has broken free of his prison and taken his first steps upon the mortal world. And he owes it all to Lenk. Believing that the demon will mend a broken world that the gods have ignored, Lenk serves as a reluctant champion to Khoth
Published July 25th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about God's Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Last Breath

Start your review of God's Last Breath (Bring Down Heaven, #3)
Ned Ludd
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are very few that executive better characterization and dialogue than Sykes.
Antonio
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Sam Sykes and his twitter presence. I've enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy and was excited to finally get this book. There are three things I expect from a Sykes book:
1. Sword fights
2. Tender smooches
3. Elf butts

There were a slew of sword fights, on against a giant demon, and all of them were clothed. Sykes has previously tackled naked sword fights, so it was good to see him move in a new direction. But the sword fights weren't even the best part this time, and not just
Vigasia
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an art to create a world with characters you miss when you close the book. And this is as I feel now. Sam Sykes is definitely my best discovery this year and I think I am about to read everything he creates.

His books are mostly about characters. There's world out there and there's plot, but protagonists dominate above it all - and it's good. They are strong, but they are also very flawed and not once lose the battle with their weaknesses.

Sam Syke's prose doesn't disappoint. He writes a real
Rana
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took a little bit to get back into the swing of things and remember who is who and what they are and what is going on.

But FYI: I really want to read Gariath's redemption arc. I want him back in the band.
Matthew
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So with that, our six companions journey finally comes to an end! Actually, it totally doesn't, but that's okay.

The end was a bit anticlimactic, even pointed out by one of the characters. Still, these books are mostly character showcases. Personal demons prioritized over the literal ones.

City Stained Red is still the high point in my opinion, but as long as Sykes keeps writing about these six fucked up individuals, I'll continue to buy his book.
Kerry Bernard
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Lots of action, incredible world-building, unique description, and interesting character development. Sykes has become one of my favorite authors.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
The last book in the trilogy, though it doesn't feel like the book was successful in giving a proper closure to the story. The ending was rather anti-climactic. It is the only shortcoming I had after completing it. As usual there is a ton of action, bloodshed, and magical mayhem along with a giant demon coming to enslave(?) all. Everything converges for a final battle in the city of Cier-Djall. This is a book rife with tension and violence, and the story is devastatingly grim and bleak.

The great
Alexander Sedge
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough to rate, because it's wonderfully written, occasionally even inspiring, but there's so much goddamn angst. The thing is that I can't tell if it's just the news lately that makes me sick of that sense of helplessness in the face of disaster/tragedy, or if it's unpleasant on its own... Reviews are hard.

-The story is occasionally epic in scope, and even though I typically prefer character-focused stories, the zoomed-out looks at the hugely varied cultures, the People rather than the Persons,
LJ
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this trilogy, discovering a talented new writer, is always pleasing. The cast of characters was tight, the barbs traded genuinely funny, and relationships were intense. The world building inventive and creative, the action was violent, encompassing, and at times brutal. The story progressed, however, it dragged in some places as well. Sam Sykes talent carried my interest and imagination, which caused me to continue on and I am glad I did. The intensity of the relationships between char ...more
Josh
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Usually when I finish a book, I can draw conclusions and thoughts pretty quickly. With the Bring Down Heaven series, things aren't so simple. These books work very contrary to expectations I've created for how fantasy should be and this is a good thing. Character motivations are not simple and often contradictory, but never in a way that doesn't make sense. If I had to describe these books with 3 words, they would be chaotic, violent, beautiful. And maybe throw in frequently hilarious.
I'll try
Jesse C
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Could barely make it through the last hundred pages or so. Really lost interest in pretty much all the characters. Also, once (view spoiler). Yeah, all the characters are still unlikable which is fine in the first book, but becomes really grat ...more
Sara
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I will begin by saying that the Bring Down Heaven trilogy has been an anchor to me since I discovered these books around September 2017. Sykes has a gift for spinning unique tales about unexpected characters. His writing is punchy yet gentle, and even in the midst of heated fight scenes, genuinely poignant and striking thoughts can come from his characters.

Sam’s work has been a delight to have found and is one of the few book series I’ve had the pleasure of reading that has left me spe
Daniel
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dylan Clark
When I first started Sykes's Bring Down Heaven trilogy, I had just come off of a bad streak of reading books I wish I had never picked up. I was bummed out and feeling very distant from the fantasy genre--a genre that had inspired so much of my childhood and continues to inspire me to this day. Then one night, I made the (unbeknownst-to-me-then) fateful decision to buy The City Stained Red.

After reading TCSR, I compared the experience to the idea of returning home and visiting and old restaurant
A.J.
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nikos Elefthérios
What a great trilogy! An interesting fact is that I didn't realized there was a previous trilogy with the same characters, but it in any way rindered my reading of God's Last Breath. Actually, I kind of liked the way they talked about the past without being too specific, it really made them seem like real people. And Rhega.
I can't understand the low ratings the books in the series have here, they are really good, the characters are some fucked up, interesting and entertaining creatures. I reall
Tessa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The last in the Bring Down Heaven Series, our adventurers definitely have a superhero complex. Each, working through their separate story line, feels they must be the one to save a race, a city, a person. Their struggles, both physical and deeply emotional, are the back bone of this novel. Sykes does a wonderful job exploring the depth of each of our adventurers and knitting everything back together in a satisfying conclusion to the series.

There is plenty of action ranging from demons to wizard
Dawn
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No holds barred in this one. Lenk finally gets some answers even though it’s not what he would have liked. Khoth Kapira, owner of that annoying voice he’s had in his head all this time is finally in the world and revealed in all his glory. Maybe not quite the right description and it’s all down to Lenk.
Brutal , nothing going right. The erstwhile comrades are all split up, one of them mostly dead. The other gods are conspicuous by their absence and not helping at all. There is fighting, blood, l
Jon
Honestly, this is at least a 4 star book. But the narrator killed it for me, as he sounded like he was reading a children's book. So the juxtaposition between his voice and the words he was reading just clashed, like Winnie the Pooh going "I've got one arm broken but that leaves me three good limbs to shove up your ass." Like, wtf. Add to that his "voices" and the fact that he'd read something in a rush that "so-n-so said slowly" and you have a recipe for annoying listening. It's like he didn't ...more
Daniel Yim
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is like watching an avalanche.

It starts out small and starts building into something bigger and bigger and you cannot look away. This story is compelling and I cannot help but continue to read. Here in this final novel of the trilogy all of the conflicts come to a head and the main characters come crashing into each other.

The developments in this final novel are consistently surprising. Furthermore, the sense of humor that Mr. Sykes has stays present all the way to the end.

Unfortunat
Leticia
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fitting end for the series, though one that doesn't picks up every thread... Because the story isn't really over. Regardless, there is a lot of interesting things going on. A war is fought, a god is slain, people get transformed into horrible abominations and a couple of lovers decide to try harder. Also, Lenk gets most of his shit together, but not soon enough.

After much thought I decided that the reason I'm denying this book 5 stars is because it doesn't really ends. It's not like it ends in
Ryan Kapsar
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the great conclusion of the Bring Down Heaven trilogy. I loved it. At the end of book two, the characters were scattered to the wind and it looked like there was no way for them to ever have closure in a meaningful way with each other. Sam skillfully managed to do this. His characters grew in unexpected way, where one was full of hubris at the beginning of the trilogy and thoughtless to other people's emotions, they became much more empathetic. Another character may have felt helpless, b ...more
Casey Karger
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal Ending to a Fantasy Epic

I'm always hesitant to start a new epic fantasy series for fear I'll be disappointed. But like Brian Staveley's Emperor's Blades series, Sam Sykes latest trilogy grabs you from the beginning, teaches you, bashes you about the face and neck, yanks the tears out of your eyes, pats you on the butt, and sends you on your way. Just when you think you've heard ever new race, you get the dragonmen. Just when you think you know about gods and magic, you get Asper and D
Peter
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've decided that I don't really care what direction Sam Sykes takes his stories, so long as I get to spend more time with the generally lovable band of rogues we first met in Tome of the Undergates. That and his amazing grasp on dialogue and descriptions, which are consistently hilarious.

God's Last Breath is the final book of the Bring Down Heaven trilogy and I really think it was a great way to end the series. Sykes finally ties together all of his characters' tales in one huge and bloody con
Peter
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading this book at a Barnes and Noble one of Sam Sykes friends came up and asked to take my picture. Apparently they have a joke that no one reads his books so she was taking a picture to prove otherwise.

Don’t worry Sam. People do read your books. I mean it was a library book so I didn’t necessarily give you money... but I still read it! It was an enjoyable read so keep up with your writing!
Mary
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Big epic battle

The ending was left very open. I guess the intention is continue with these characters in another series. I admit I am disappointed that there wasn't more resolution between the characters. It felt like they were in constant turmoil. This was likely the author's intention, but not my favorite character arcs.
But the way he writes, the conveying of emotion keeps me hooked despite my disappointment in the characters.
David
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An epic conclusion to an epic fantasy series. There is some pretty intense action and end-of-the-world vibes in this book. Combined with the excellent cast of characters and an interesting setting, this makes for an enjoyable ride for fans of the genre. Sykes has made a very neat, character-driven trilogy that is sure to delight.

For my full review, check out my blog: https://strakul.blogspot.com/2019/01/...
Roman
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fantasy
The Bring Down Heaven Trilogy is a wonderful romp through a fantasy world with some deeply flawed characters, that ends up examining some core facets of the human condition. One of the most fun trilogies I have read in a while and it is clear that Sam Sykes is having as much fun as you are. I would highly recommend the trilogy if you enjoy comedic fantasy and even if you don't, I would recommend giving it a go. ...more
Sarah Schanze
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure I've read a fantasy trilogy where the world was in WORSE shape at the end than when it started (though I guess that's a matter of character perspective) This is certainly some of the messiest stuff I've ever read, but in a really good way. All the characters felt unique and real and were total disasters. It doesn't give any neat storybook endings, and could spawn an endless saga of drama and death and war. But I think that's the point. ...more
Shaun Dyer
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God's Last Breath is the final book in Sam Sykes Bring Down Heaven trilogy bringing to an end the story of Lenk and his... friends is a strong word... umm... collection of people who work together sometimes. They are brilliantly flawed and, while the world they inhabit is unique and the action scene frenetic and fun, it is the characters that make this book so enjoyable.

The first two books had a colourful world that was jam-packed with action, drama, giant demons and epic battles. While all of t

• King Bullet (Sandman Slim, #12)
  • The Two of Swords, Volume Three
  • Of Darkness and Light (The Bound and the Broken, #2)
  • The Fall (The Bound and the Broken, #0.5)
  • The Maleficent Seven
  • Kingdoms of Death (Sun Eater, #4)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3)
  • The Two of Swords, Volume Two
  • Light from Uncommon Stars
  • The Queen's Weapons (The Black Jewels #11)
  • Skandar and the Unicorn Thief (Skandar #1)
  • The Apollo Murders
  • No Gods, No Monsters (The Convergence Saga, #1)
  • A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn Universe, #1)
  • Any Minor World (The Midnight Jury #1)
  • Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night
See top shelves…
Sam Sykes is the author of Tome Of The Undergates, a vast and sprawling story of adventure, demons, madness and carnage. Suspected by many to be at least tangentially related to most causes of human suffering, Sam Sykes is also a force to be reckoned with beyond literature.

At 25, Sykes is one of the younger authors to have arrived on the stage of literary fantasy. Tome Of The Undergates is his fir

Bring Down Heaven (3 books)
  • The City Stained Red (Bring Down Heaven, #1)
  • The Mortal Tally (Bring Down Heaven, #2)