Start by marking “Solace: Writing, Refuge, and LGBTQ Women of Color” as Want to Read:
Solace: Writing, Refuge, and LGBTQ Women of Color

Solace: Writing, Refuge, and LGBTQ Women of Color

Deeply troubled by recent acts of violence against Black and Brown lesbian, bisexual, and trans* bodies, Solace: Writing, Refuge and LGBTQ Women of Color explores how LGBTQ women find solace: in each other, in their communities, and from within themselves, as they traverse the challenges of living as LGBTQ women of color in the United States.

Solace is a collection of poetr
Published January 31st 2017 by BLF Press

To ask other readers questions about Solace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solace

Krystal Smith
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful poetry and deep, thoughtful essays. A place of refuge made out of words. This collection of writing settled deep in my bones, and gave me space to reflect and connect mentally, emotionally, and physically.

The individual poems are so strong with language that shows just how much work LGBTQ Women of Color have to put into existing, loving, and healing.

The essays are personal and revealing and extremely relatable. Again with strong, purposeful language that elevates the many messages wit
Emily Buehler
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much poetry or short-form writing, but I picked this book up at a writers' conference because I wanted to support some of the other writers. The essays were easy to read, and I appreciated hearing from authors with situations or perspectives different than my own. And the poetry seemed good! (Like I said, I don't usually read poetry, but it wasn't incomprehensible to me.)
Emma Clement
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Here it is.

I am neither LGBTQ or a woman of color. I am female, white, straight, and an ally of LGBTQ people. I also am feminist - so reading this book appealed to me. The collection of poetry, prose, and essays in this book was very intriguing and it introduced me to many different kinds of writing that I would not have read otherwise. Additionally, these writings all dealt with very important topics relating to LGB
Jules
How do you define solace and where do you give it, find it, take it, share it? Solace: Writing, Refuge, and LGBTQ Women of Color, from BLF Press, anthologizes the voices of thirteen LGBTQ women of color. In the preface, editors S. Andrea Allen and Lauren Cherelle share the impetus for and the importance of assembling this collection, especially in light of anti-LGBT legislation and violence in 2016.

“As a community, where can we find solace from the microaggression and violence enacted upon us
Tek