Start by marking “You Belong to Me” as Want to Read:
You Belong to Me

You Belong to Me

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  915 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
YOU BELONG TO ME . . . Paul Reeves is a successful immigration lawyer, but his passion is collecting old maps of New York, tangible records of the city’s rich history in an increasingly digital world. One afternoon he attends an auction with his neighbor Jennifer Mehraz, the beautiful young wife of an Iranian financier-lawyer, but halfway through the auction a handsome man ...more
Published June 6th 2017 by Sarah Crichton Books

Julie
You Belong to Me by Colin Harrison is a 2017 Sarah Crichton Books publication.

Gritty noir, a stylish thriller and homage to New York, all rolled into one book.

Paul is a successful immigration lawyer with a seriously obsessive map collecting hobby. While attending an auction with his pretty, but very married neighbor, Jennifer, she abruptly walks out when she meets a solider she obviously recognizes and is very happy to see.

Later, Paul spies the couple making love, which requires Jennifer to e
Glenn Russell

I saw a license plate yesterday that said 'I Miss New York,' so I smashed their window and stole their radio. Sorry, couldn't resist beginning with a one-liner aimed at the city famous for one-liners.

Colin Harrison’s 2017 novel You Belong to Me captures the vibrant, pulsating, dynamic, electrifying surge of the city of New York. Sure, the story features riveting dramas of men and women from all walks of life, super rich to dirt poor, an entire rainbow of nationalities and ethnicities, but throu
Carol (Bookaria)
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The city of New York, a beautiful and young wife, a powerful and jealous husband, an old love, a map collector, and many buried secrets. Shake well, serve, and you get You Belong to Me.

This is a novel that has a little bit of everything, mystery, action, and many interesting facts. I particularly enjoyed learning about the grounds for revoking the U.S. citizenship from a naturalized person, you get to learn about this and some random historical facts in a fictional setting. I find these tidbits
Elaine
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can't believe the author took 8 years to write You Belong to Me. I seriously hope he did something more productive with his time because this book was a waste of time, for him and for me and future readers.

On the surface, the story seems promising; Paul Reeves, an immigration attorney and a map collector, is obsessed with obtaining a historical map of deep sentimental value.

At the same time, a young, beautiful woman who lives in his building and married to a very wealthy and successful Iran
Susan
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review is going to be very confusing. I really liked the book. No mysteries to solve but a good thriller where you wondered where it might go because it didn’t always go where you thought it was. But, I had a few problems with it that I would have more expected from a new author, not someone with a long list of books like Mr. Harrison. First off, the story went off a couple times on what seemed like random tangents as though the author decided instead of being a tight knit suspense piece it ...more
Kenneth Iltz
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
I loved this book. I collected Oregon maps years ago and have a decent collection. Perhaps that was part of the allure of You Belong To Me. Each chapter of the book moves in a different direction with a new element of the larger story. The book is well written and bound to keep you up late at night reading.

The book is two stories that interweave. The first is about Jennifer Mehraz, the beautiful young trophy wife of Ahmed Mehraz, an Iranian born banker/lawyer living in New York. Her beauty is h
Skip
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A lot of different GR views about this new book by Colin Harrison. I really like the depth of his characters and his descriptive writing, most especially his feel for New York and its diverse residents. There is a lot of obsession for both the protagonist (an immigration lawyer, from a modest family) and the antagonist (a very successful international banker, with great wealth) and some brutal crimes surrounding the beautiful blonde wife of the Iranian antagonist and a decorated war hero. Some o ...more
Alexa Trumpy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The female characters are ridiculous. Rachel, a successful, professional, native Manhattanite describes herself as having "mucho curves" and wants the main character to inseminate her with his "alpha sperm." Another female character, a modern, gorgeous, wealthy woman in her 20s, uses terms like "flam-a-roo" to refer to significant others. Modern women just don't talk/think like this.
The main character, a white guy in his 50s, seems like a selfish schlub who can't figure out how to dress himself
Genevieve
I chose this on the promise that it was somehow "noir" but I don't see it. Mostly a string of racist and misogynist stereotypes (we've got an unimaginably brutal Mexican biker who used to work for El Chapo, some "elegant" and pragmatic yet ruthless Persians, and a bunch of women who are desperate for marriage/derided for their plastic surgery/equipped to survive only because of their looks and openness to light prostitution, then there's the main character* who costs a bunch of people their live ...more
Lynn
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Could not put it down. Thriller about New York and all the different kinds of people who inhabit it, which usually annoys me (I am a native New Yorker) but this is done in a good way. And well written. I need to try more by Harrison, I haven't read any of his previous books.
Jan
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every little detail was followed through and tied up in a neat bundle by the end of this riveting book. I do hope that all his women characters are not this vapid, but since I couldn't put it down, I will be looking for some of his older titles now.
Catherine
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a nasty little book, where the women are all caricatures and the non-white men are all criminals.
Jim Coughenour
Rich people are evil, a bit fascinating, and we're right to hate and envy them. Everyone else is more or less a loser. Many people deserve to be humiliated and die, and they do. Colin Harrison's new New York crime thriller sucked me in and I felt like a dirty voyeur for the full ride. This isn't a book to lift your spirits but it does have a certain nasty entertaining edge. Here's one internal monologue of the protagonist on the state of the union:
The United States, meanwhile, was steadily fract
Jenn
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I found it a little difficult to rate this one. On one hand, the whole map theme was much more interesting than I would have expected. But the dude’s relationships felt wrong. He was creepy and in places it felt like he may have had a touch of aspergers. Or maybe he was just weird in general. From the review lines on the front of the book I expected more thriller and more gruesome than was in the book.
Dustin
Aug 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Dustin by: Glenn Russell

My friend and fellow writer, Glenn Russell, said what I can only to hope to achieve whenever I read Colin Harrison's book, in his fascinating review:

Fatty Goodlander
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

It took me awhile to get into the author's cadence, then I was worried it was too literary. Finally I was swept away. Good job!
Anna Curtis
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thrillers aren't usually my thing, but this one was really quite good. Each character has a well developed voice and strong - if questionable - convictions. Beautifully paced. Includes some graphic violence and several oddly clinical but still compelling sex scenes.
Mary-Beth
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Reviews kept referring to this novel as "noir." To me, noir conjures up Raymond Chandler and San Francisco in the 40s and femmes fatales. This novel had none of the above! I was also disturbed by the steadily (and gratuitously) rising body count. Maybe this is 2.5 stars instead.
David Sahl
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed Harrison's novels and have waited for the next. This latest novel didn't disappoint. I read not just for the action sequences. I look to the author's control of the characters and the atmosphere throughout the story. Here I can compare Harrison's love of New York with Conroy's love of the south and Lehane's love of Boston. There is an easy development of place and time. Also, the important factor of character in his novels. We meet some dissonant characters. There are the very wealt ...more
Ben
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Obsession. Love. Possession. That is what " You Belong to Me" the novel by Colin Harrison is about.
Paul Reeves is a modestly wealthy immigration lawyer who lives and practises in NYC. His obsession is for old maps of NYC . There is one map that he covets deeply, but it is sold out from under him. Paul wants it; he needs it. He doesn't particularly need the woman who is trying to get him to marry her, but he does want that map.
Paul's next-door neighbors are a wealthy couple, Jennifer and Ahmed. H
Maryanne Friend
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked these characters, the way they told their stories, the sideways excursions into different aspects of the life and scenes. Some reviewers didn't like the sidebars about gym rats, shopping malls, maps, but I actually found it added character to the book. Yes, some people were predictable, like Jennifer's alcohol mom, and even stereotypical like Billy, but it all worked together.
Holly Ristau
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was very difficult to determine a rating for this murder mystery. The author loves to tell stories. He often gets lost, and loses the reader in the minute details. There are maps in the story and I love maps! The writer is so completely negative about so many things, it was depressing. It didn't help that as he was trying to describe a small town with his most derogatory descriptions, he stated that "she came from a place where obese retirees ate breakfast at McDonalds," and those were the ve ...more
Susan Liston
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017
This was rather peculiar. I kept reading because I really had no idea where this was going to go, there were such seemingly disparate elements. I was curious to see how he was going to tie them together. Now, in retrospect I'm thinking there was possibly an element of black comedy to the plot in full, but if that is true it needed to be a whole lot less subtle. Some really gory and gross things happen that did not make for enjoyable reading. The author also goes off on a lot of tangents. Some of ...more
Terry Whittaker
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a little hard to categorize though it falls in the mystery/thriller genre. Paul Reeves is a successful immigration lawyer in New York who becomes entwined in the lives of his neighbors and embroiled in the gradually more dangerous world of the husband. Harrison knows the lifestyles of the ultra-rich, and his sarcastic look at their lives makes New York city the real star of this book. If you want a fast-paced read with some substance; this one is for you.
Deb
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Netgalley and I really enjoyed it. At times it was hard to put it down. I recommend anyone who likes thrillers to pick this one up.

Ahmed is very possessive of Jennifer. Bill, an old boyfriend of Jennifer’s, makes an appearance and the plot thickens. Paul, Ahmed and Jennifer’s neighbor, collects maps and is disappointed when an once-in-a-lifetime map is sold underneath him. There are several threads flowing through the novel which come together nicely.

I didn’t give t
Race Bannon Berns
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good thriller novel. What I
enjoyed most was that it was not predictable.
As a reader of this genre, I would just think
I know what was going to happen next, but
the author would go a whole different way
that made it more satisfying than if I had
been correct.
The one downside to the book is that there
are alot of ver-r-ry long paragraphs that
are just plain NOT interesting and have
very little to do with the plot. They tend
to drag down the overall suspense. I was
surprised the editor did
Elizabeth Jones
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harrison writes beautifully, as always, and provides a fascinating look at New York seen through the eyes of an avid map collector. The narrative falls somewhat short in the portrayal of the main female character who is somewhat one dimensional and not all that likeable when you learn her back story, but this is still an evocative and lovely read.
Bibliophile
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A nasty, cynical tale of unpleasant New Yorkers (and a Texan) who completely overreact every time they don't get what they want. Murder, manipulation and map obsession! It was mostly entertaining, but the characters, especially the female ones, never felt real in all their horribleness. I kind of hoped none of them would get what they wanted.
Bernie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Riveting from start to finish. I have been a fan of Colin Harrison's since I discovered him almost 20 years ago, with his novel AFTERBURN.
His writing just gets better, his novels are plotted so well...HUGE FAN.

If you like mysteries, legal shenanigans, financial high stakes, and just great writing - here is your man.
Leanne
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The worst. Couldn’t finish. Returned it to Audible. Did I say the worst? Like worst, worst.
Colin Harrison is a crime novelist. He is a vice president and senior editor at Scribner.
He lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with his wife, the writer Kathryn Harrison, and their three children (Sarah, Walker and Julia).

He attended: Haverford College, BA 1982; University of Iowa Writers' Workshop. MFA 1986

His short nonfiction has appeared in The New York Times, New York Magazine, The Washington Po

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99