Start by marking “From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers” as Want to Read:
From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers

From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers

When it comes to readers who need the most support, teachers can’t afford to waste time using fragmented, skill-and-drill interventions that don’t work. Literacy specialists Stephanie Harvey and Annie Ward demonstrate how to “table the labels” and use detailed formative assessments to craft targeted, personalized instruction that enable striving readers to do what they nee ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Scholastic Professional

To ask other readers questions about From Striving to Thriving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Striving to Thriving

Start your review of From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers
Ashleigh Rose
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent teacher winter break read! Saw this on a recent Nerdy Bookclub #titletalk Twitter Chat and put it in my Amazon cart right away. In the vein of Donalyn Miller's "Reading in the Wild" this book zooms in on what matters: creating a space where students build authentic identities as readers. In particular, it highlights practices that support striving readers in building independence and moving to agency (as defined by Peter Johnston: "the perception that the environment is responsive t ...more
Marlene Scholfield
So it took a worldwide pandemic and a co-worker that joined a book study with me to complete this text... this book is so filled with important things we as educators should know about our students who struggle as readers. Great resource... thanks Ciera Harris for putting on a phenomenal book study... using your model to set up for an XPD for other staff members at school. I hope they are as changed as I was.
Chelsee
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as a reading teacher. So many easy to implement ideas, resources, and book recommendations.
Kim
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read that supplies book recommendations, resources, and easy ideas to implement in your classroom.
Gwen
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Fantastic professional read. This is one that I will keep on my "shelf of favorites" for quick, easy access and to refer to often.
Kris Patrick
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teachers & Librarians: move this to the top of your professional reading list. ...more
Megan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
An excellent book to kick off the year! Full of lesson ideas, research, reasoning, and motivation. I'd recommend it for any elementary teacher.
Kate
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait to go back to school on Monday and tell my “striving” readers that after the turkey I spent most of Thanksgiving day curled up reading this gem cover to cover and furiously marking it up with underlines and post-its. Harvey and Ward do a great job pulling together a ton of research and personal experience on best practices for the reading classroom in an extremely concise and easy to read form. Their love for students and teachers shines throughout.

But I think the real genius here
Jamie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are a reader of literacy instruction books, you will recognize many of these ideas from Richard Allington, Donalyn Miller, Penny Kittle, and online communities like TCRWP and Nerdy Book Club. However, the format of this book is beautiful - you can easily dip in and find a particular strategy quickly, and it includes copious amounts of resources for follow-up. Even though I have read many of the works this book references, I still came away with a sticky-note filled version of things I wan ...more
Karen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Kristen
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This book is like an anthology of ideas to help striving (aka struggling) readers. Almost every page points to another book or research paper written about how to help students develop as readers. As for new information, this book called into question the reliance we place on packaged reading interventions and advocates that students need time with books and a teacher who knows them as a learner, not a pullout, to improve in reading. This book offers a unique formative assessment they call asses ...more
Liz James
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
I cannot express how much I love this book. So many reading books I read are on how to teach reading skills and strategies and it gets old. This wasn’t that at all! This was mostly how to get students reading books they are interested in, how to get them talking about books, how to up the volume of books students are reading, etc. I found it so beneficial! With not really knowing how teaching is going to look this next school year and feeling very discouraged, this book gave me a lot of great id ...more
Kathy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Every teacher and parent should read this book. The authors show, with specific examples books that will entice every type of reader. They show ways to set up and monitor your classroom library. More ideas on how to coach parents. (They suggest keeping up with parents and coaching which would be hard to do knowing how much time goes into being a teacher.) Samples of book talks are given and stressed. Great book. So glad that I read it.
Meredith
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book along with No More Reading for Junk, The Book Whisperer, and Reading in the Wild for a presentation I am giving on creating a reading community. A great deal of the ideas in this book reinforce what I have already read and it is time to put these ideas into action to create more thriving readers!
Mrs. Cubby Culbertson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful addition to my Professional Favorites shelf!
Although focusing on classroom teachers, I found so much to feed my efforts as a middle school librarian. So many great ideas and affirmations of current practices!
Lyndsay Kirkham
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply the best resource I’ve seen in years. This will serve me in countless ways. I’ve already asked my principal to put this into the hands of all teachers at our school. Brilliantly written and loaded with contemporary research that speaks to my holistic and child centred approach to teaching.
Lydia
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Relationships, growth mindset, access, choice, engagement, time to read...A solid approach backed by research and TRUTH. Will be book talking and recommending this gem to all my MG ELA teachers. #thebestinterventionisagoodbook
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely keep this book handy. So many refreshing ways to look at things differently. It’s easy to think we have all the answers all the time. This gave me new insight, and I picked up some great ideas. We all strive in our everyday lives!
Katlyn
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of helpful strategies for encouraging striving readers in classrooms anywhere from grades 4-10. It contains helpful guides for reading conferences, kidwatching and reading assessment, book matching, and encouraging students to talk about their reading.
Susan Morris
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got a lot of good ideas from this book, though part of it was more for reading teachers than librarians. I want to share my “textual lineage” with kids - keystone books from my childhood, including Bobbsey Twins and comic books. (School)
Sandra
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, 2020
This was quite repetitive so it felt much longer than it needed to be. However, there is tons of great reseach cited and many easy to implement tricks, tips, and strategies to help our striving readers. I loved all the quotes the authors selected.
Ashley Kohls
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read for teachers, parents, and librarians. It reiterated many of the things that I strongly believe in. My 2 favorite:
1. Student choice, let them choose!!
2. Graphic novels are REAL books!
No more struggling readers, only readers that are striving!
Bev
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best professional books I have ever read!! It was interesting with many good and practical suggestions on how to help our striving readers become thriving readers!! LOVED this book!!
Kerrin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Inspirational. Packed with research on reading & well-organized, with tons of practical ideas. ...more
Lori
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
5 stars for this great book, and if I could give 10 stars to the foreword by Dav Pilkey, I would.
Destini
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best professional books I have EVER read! 🙌🏼
Sara
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe have physical artifacts in the library to accompany displays on certain topics?
Leah
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Great information on how to support striving and thriving readers. Promotes making reading independently with comprehension a priority.
Trevor Montgomery
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was able to get a bunch of “take aways” with this book. It had many great ideas to incorporate into my language arts block.
Elizabeth Hassinger
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A must read for teachers! There is so much good stuff here. Practical idea, research, and personal examples abound. "Table the labels" to meet your reader where they are!

• Game Changer!: Book Access for All Kids
  • A Teacher's Guide to Reading Conferences: The Classroom Essentials Series
  • We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
  • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
  • It's All about the Books: How to Create Bookrooms and Classroom Libraries That Inspire Readers
  • Reading in the Wild
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
  • Passionate Readers: The Art of Reaching and Engaging Every Child
  • Being the Change: Lessons and Strategies to Teach Social Comprehension
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading