Start by marking “From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers” as Want to Read:
From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers

From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers

When it comes to readers who need the most support, teachers can’t afford to waste time using fragmented, skill-and-drill interventions that don’t work. Literacy specialists Stephanie Harvey and Annie Ward demonstrate how to “table the labels” and use detailed formative assessments to craft targeted, personalized instruction that enable striving readers to do what they nee ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Scholastic Professional

To ask other readers questions about From Striving to Thriving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Striving to Thriving

Ashleigh Rose
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent teacher winter break read! Saw this on a recent Nerdy Bookclub #titletalk Twitter Chat and put it in my Amazon cart right away. In the vein of Donalyn Miller's "Reading in the Wild" this book zooms in on what matters: creating a space where students build authentic identities as readers. In particular, it highlights practices that support striving readers in building independence and moving to agency (as defined by Peter Johnston: "the perception that the environment is responsive t ...more
Chelsee
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as a reading teacher. So many easy to implement ideas, resources, and book recommendations.
Kris Patrick
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teachers & Librarians: move this to the top of your professional reading list.
Megan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
An excellent book to kick off the year! Full of lesson ideas, research, reasoning, and motivation. I'd recommend it for any elementary teacher.
Kate
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait to go back to school on Monday and tell my “striving” readers that after the turkey I spent most of Thanksgiving day curled up reading this gem cover to cover and furiously marking it up with underlines and post-its. Harvey and Ward do a great job pulling together a ton of research and personal experience on best practices for the reading classroom in an extremely concise and easy to read form. Their love for students and teachers shines throughout.

But I think the real genius here
Jamie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are a reader of literacy instruction books, you will recognize many of these ideas from Richard Allington, Donalyn Miller, Penny Kittle, and online communities like TCRWP and Nerdy Book Club. However, the format of this book is beautiful - you can easily dip in and find a particular strategy quickly, and it includes copious amounts of resources for follow-up. Even though I have read many of the works this book references, I still came away with a sticky-note filled version of things I wan ...more
Karen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Skye
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, pro-d
When I started this I expected a list of steps that would help striving readers learn the skills they need to get up to grade level. That is not what this book is. Instead it's ideas on how to change your classroom culture to value reading and individual differences, and how that helps all learners. I found it had some very useful sugestions to hook reluctant readers and ways to organize your classroom to engage readers in meaninful and pleasurable reading experiences. I would recomend this book ...more
Kathy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Every teacher and parent should read this book. The authors show, with specific examples books that will entice every type of reader. They show ways to set up and monitor your classroom library. More ideas on how to coach parents. (They suggest keeping up with parents and coaching which would be hard to do knowing how much time goes into being a teacher.) Samples of book talks are given and stressed. Great book. So glad that I read it.
Meredith
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book along with No More Reading for Junk, The Book Whisperer, and Reading in the Wild for a presentation I am giving on creating a reading community. A great deal of the ideas in this book reinforce what I have already read and it is time to put these ideas into action to create more thriving readers!
Lyndsay Kirkham
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply the best resource I’ve seen in years. This will serve me in countless ways. I’ve already asked my principal to put this into the hands of all teachers at our school. Brilliantly written and loaded with contemporary research that speaks to my holistic and child centred approach to teaching.
Lydia
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Relationships, growth mindset, access, choice, engagement, time to read...A solid approach backed by research and TRUTH. Will be book talking and recommending this gem to all my MG ELA teachers. #thebestinterventionisagoodbook
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely keep this book handy. So many refreshing ways to look at things differently. It’s easy to think we have all the answers all the time. This gave me new insight, and I picked up some great ideas. We all strive in our everyday lives!
Mrs. Cubby Culbertson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful addition to my Professional Favorites shelf!
Although focusing on classroom teachers, I found so much to feed my efforts as a middle school librarian. So many great ideas and affirmations of current practices!
Lori
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
5 stars for this great book, and if I could give 10 stars to the foreword by Dav Pilkey, I would.
Beth
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent PD choice for elementary teachers. Several good ideas but mostly like 180 Days for K-5.
Elizabeth Hassinger
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A must read for teachers! There is so much good stuff here. Practical idea, research, and personal examples abound. "Table the labels" to meet your reader where they are!
Julie Kirchner
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another professional book I will likely revisit often and reread each year. Inspirational!
Kerrin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Inspirational. Packed with research on reading & well-organized, with tons of practical ideas.
Tracy Mitchell
Great resource for teachers who need to revitalize reading instruction. Gives research, resources & explanations as to why shifts needs to be made so students benefit.
Catherine
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pd-books
A great resource for teachers of reading and librarians! The intro by Dav Pilkey is a must read!!!!
Destini
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best professional books I have EVER read! 🙌🏼
Trevor Montgomery
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was able to get a bunch of “take aways” with this book. It had many great ideas to incorporate into my language arts block.
Leah
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Great information on how to support striving and thriving readers. Promotes making reading independently with comprehension a priority.
Sara
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe have physical artifacts in the library to accompany displays on certain topics?
Serenity