Start by marking “The Drift” as Want to Read:
The Drift

The Drift

In the quaint little town of Crystal Falls, surrounded by the majestic Rocky Mountains, a storm is brewing….

As the tightknit community fights to survive a blizzard like no other, more sinister threats, dark and duplicitous, lurk just out of sight.

Embarking upon his first official mission, Ra sees himself as a rescuer, a hero, a man whose selfless efforts will save untold
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 363 pages
Published August 20th 2016 by David Maxwell

To ask other readers questions about The Drift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drift

Lex Allen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been fortunate to have read for review a string of top-notch novels for Reader’s Favorite the past several weeks and “The Drift” by David Maxwell earned its way to the top of that list. In this stunning science-fiction thriller the town of Crystal Falls is hit with a winter storm of unbelievable proportion and intensity. The townsfolk struggle to survive and assemble in the local clinic. Following a series of hair-raising events, characterized by great acts of bravery and determination, it ...more
Davyne DeSye
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, wow. I read David Maxwell’s first novel, Rebirth, and enjoyed it. With The Drift, the author has really won me over.

The plot was fantastic, well thought out and surprising. There were plenty of times during the course of the story that I had reservations (“How can this be?”) and I was afraid that the answers would either be unsatisfactory or completely missing (as sometimes happens in books). I was so happy to discover that all the questions that occurred to me throughout the book (and bel
Janice Cronch
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction at its best!

I really enjoyed David Maxwell’s first novel, Rebirth, and now he’s truly hit it out of the park with The Drift! There are futuristic technologies, relatable characters, apocalyptic circumstances, and emotional surprises. The writing pulled me in and kept me on the edge of my seat. I felt every minute of the fear, hope, anguish, and joy the characters experienced as the story unfolded. The settings were vivid and the personalities colorful.

One of the more interestin
David Maxwell
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
***** This review is an excerpt from Readers' Favorite (see link below) *****

"The Drift is a strong, character driven, magnificent story that touches on several emotional themes and personal discoveries as the actors struggle within a dystopian world.... Mr. Maxwell is expert in building and defining his characters. Regardless of their place in the story - major or minor actor, protagonist or antagonist - he brings them to life with an unparalleled sense o
Jamie Adams
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever Language

‘The shimmering streams of crystal clear water had inspired the town’s name and the open cave behind them had served as venue for everything from wedding ceremonies to photo shoots.’
This type of description book ends a brilliant tale which begins with a shock and journeys through adventures which link to reminiscences. For me, as a teacher, the use of language is compelling, being used so naturally and yet with such control. Fully recommended.
Heather
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Something made me keep on reading through to the end, but this book just didn't do it for me. The very end was predictable. The characters weren't engaging enough. The present and future were too incompatible. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't read it again.
Marie (UK)
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read on Kindle unlimited. Plenty of action and storyline even if a little too unbelievable at times
Catherine Griffin
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
Trapped by a record blizzard, the residents of a small American town are rescued from death by time travellers.

The story opens with the town of Crystal Falls preparing for an unseasonal heavy snowfall. A range of well-developed characters are introduced as they try to help each other survive. It’s interesting and engaging stuff, but it does take a while to get to the science fiction content. Don’t panic, it eventually shows up and is pretty good when it arrives.

The writing is good, very readable
Norma Todd
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent stand alone book.

This story took several unexpected twists. It's unusual in that it has a strong finite ending. The characters were good people at heart and loyal to a fault.
Lindsay
  • Subject 37
  • A Shadow of Autumn: An Anthology of Fall and Halloween Tales
  • Sigil
  • Reigning
  • Good Earls Don't Lie (Earls Next Door, #1)
  • Beacon (Jo Benally #1)
  • Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan
  • Loreena's Gift
  • Compromise Cake: Lessons Learned from my Mother's Recipe Box
  • For the Love of David
David Maxwell is an author of award-winning science fiction thrillers. David provides his readers with thought-provoking, mind-bending thrills that take technological concepts to the next level.

A retired veteran of the United States Air Force, David held critical positions where he implemented, maintained, and managed some of the world’s most leading edge technology. He served in Desert Storm and