Start by marking “Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)” as Want to Read:
Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)

Reticence

(The Custard Protocol #4)

Bookish and proper Percival Tunstell finds himself out of his depth when floating cities, spirited plumbing, and soggy biscuits collide in this delightful conclusion to NYT bestselling author Gail Carriger's The Custard Protocol series.

Percival Tunstell loves that his sister and her best friend are building themselves a family of misfits aboard their airship, The Spotted C
Published August 6th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Reticence, please sign up.
Emma She mentions it several times in this series and even in the last one when the kids are all babies she states that he is a redhead like his father.
George Apparently. https://gailcarriger.com/series/the-c... is headed "1890s Completed Series" and described as a " four book series". That's pretty definiti…moreApparently. https://gailcarriger.com/series/the-c... is headed "1890s Completed Series" and described as a " four book series". That's pretty definitive.(less)

Start your review of Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
Phrynne
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So sad to be at the end of this series, but the author rounded it all off beautifully. Everyone who needed one ended up with a partner, another generation was begun (key to another series one day perhaps), and then Rue's wedding meant we got to revisit all the best characters from the past books. It was delightful!

But then I find all of Gail Carriger's books delightful. They are always fun reads, light and totally entertaining - no brain strain required. She has also written lots and lots of boo
Linniegayl
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! I cannot begin to do the final book in the Custard Protocol series justice. I listened to it in audio and loved, absolutely loved, both the narration and the story. It’s an A+ for me, so five stars here. In a Facebook live event Ms. Carriger described Reticence as something like a “love letter” to her readers/fans; that’s exactly what it felt like to me. In addition to featuring a surprisingly enchanting love story of two nerdish, awkward characters, Ms. Carriger gives plenty of time to o ...more
Jackie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! My favorite in this 4 book series! I love the world, the characters, the jokes and the romance! What really made this book extra special was the appearances of some of my favorite characters from her finishing school series! I hope to see more novels and novellas with this series! 😍
Ashley Marie
3.5 such-a-sweet-ending stars

For all that I haven't read Preshea's book yet (it's on my list, no worries!) SHE WOULD name her kids after poisons. Good god.

Funnily enough, up to this book I always read Percy as ace. But I do love him and Arsenic together, they're very sweet.

The kitsune adventure was cool (although the audiobook made me a bit uncomfortable), but the found-family trope is alive and well in this series and I LOVE it.

This book is complete fan service and I'm here for it. Seeing the
Maria V. Snyder
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished listening to this one! Loved it - wonderful story, and a great narrator!
Amber J
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For whatever reason, I enjoyed this last book of the series the most of the whole thing. Part of it is because it follows Percy who I think is the most interesting character of them all, but also because the story was far more interesting than the first three.

The romance was sweet. The awkwardness between the two was done in a way that was sweet and funny. I really did enjoy it.
Tiana Hadnt
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 STARS!!!!!! I hate to say this, but Custard Protocol just is not for me. I enjoyed Reticence more than I did Prudence or Competence (Imprudence is the best in the series by far), but I was still left sorely disappointed.

Reticence is all about Percy, and his developing relationship with a doctor named Arsenic. Only, it’s not always about that at all. This fourth in the series reads more as an “I want to bring in all my other characters from previous works to say farewell,” than as a cohesive,
Lisa Wolf
A cute, satisfying ending to the Custard Protocol series. Gail Carriger's fans will absolutely want to read this and see how the adventure turns out. I didn't quite love the POV throughout this book -- certain characters are sidelined or mostly off-stage, which left me a little bit hungry. Still, it's a fun wrap-up to a charming series, and well worth reading. ...more
Kingtchalla83
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Retience" marks the end of an era which makes it an extremely difficult book to review. Gail Garriger's Parasolverse follows three generations of characters, spanding from the 1850s and ending in 1901. Coupled with ancient mythological history "Retience" encompasses the totality of the series and ties up loose ends, but leaves room for more narratives.
🍶
The plot of "Reticence " is fairly straightforward locate and rescue The Wallflower, a spy, and investigate a new shifter species in Japan. Ru
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Lacking in plot and consisting largely of a relatively unromantic romance. That said, I actually liked the romance, at least intellectually, because Percy and Arsenic fall in love merely by reading together and sometimes having deep conversations about their various overlapping interests. There's no passion there that I ever felt, but there's a deep connection of the truly similar and there's no doubt they'll live happy lives together. It's generally not the stuff of romance novels, but there's ...more
T.D. Whittle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Gail Carriger's books so much, and her Parasolverse is my favourite. I am giving Reticence five stars in appreciation of the entire Custard Protocol series, and its cast and crew. I don't wish to include any spoilers so I will simply say that I was very happy with the setting, the traditional folklore invoked related to that setting, and the romance that ensued. Tea for everyone, please, to celebrate this delightful series! ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun, who would have thought that I would enjoy a story all from Percy's point of view. He is so adorable in this one.
I also really enjoyed the rest and the new supernatural creatures.
Kathy
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great closing to this series. Such fun.
Karissa
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth and final book in the Custard Protocol. It seems like this book wrapped up the stories set in this world. I am very sad to see the end of these characters and this world. I enjoyed this book a ton it was a very fun and entertaining read.

In this book our beloved adventurers end up going to Japan to investigate a new type of fox shapeshifter rumored to dwell there. The Custard also needs a new doctor and Percy may have finally found his match this time!

This book was told mainly
Kathy Davie
Fourth and last in The Custard Protocol historical fantasy steampunk series (a sequel series to The Finishing School and then The Parasol Protectorate) revolving around the misfit crew of The Spotted Custard. The couple focus is on Prof Percy Tunstell and Dr Arsenic Ruthven.

My Take
It's all about tolerance and acceptance, and I love this comment about that superiority too many people feel about themselves, their country:
"We failed even to understand there might be others. Supernaturals are not th
Shannon
Unsurprisingly delightful and lots of sneaky appearances from characters from all the related series made it even more so. I quite enjoyed Arsenic and Persey’s romance and the setting and adventures were quite marvelous in their absurdity.

Sad to see a chapter end, but I have high hopes for more wonderful reads from this author.
Daphne
Gail Carriger has confirmed on her blog that for now, this is the last full-length novel in the Parasolverse. That makes reviewing this book a little bittersweet for me, as I know I will miss these books a lot.

For those who don't know, the author Gail Carriger has three book series all set in the same universe. It started with the Parasol Protectorate series, then the Finishing School series (which actually takes place before the first series chronologically) and then the Custard Protocol serie
Bridgette
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so good. Probably my favorite in this series.

I really wasn't sure about Percy being a big POV character, but he was wonderful, and I absolutely adored Arsenic.

Having finished now, I am really glad I read The Finishing School series before this one as it ties everything together nicely. You can understand this one without reading Finishing School, but it won't have the same emotional impact.

If this is the last in this world, it's a good one.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of the three series. (view spoiler) ...more
Caity
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a satisfying end to this series. I once again loved the new setting and characters and loved seeing the growth of already beloved characters.
Natasha
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me “awwww” and squee and laugh. A LOT! I adore this whole world and get lost in it with great pleasure and joy.
Debrac2014
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! Rue's wedding was like old home week for some characters from past series! Percy and Arsenic are a good match! ...more
Leta Blake
So sad this series is over but loved every moment of it!
Annie
It was just as wonderful the 2nd time.
#great2020parasolversedoover

Nothing makes my Bookworm heart happier than a series that ends well. Gail Carriger has woven a wonderful conclusion to Custard Protocol. It gave me Percy's story, charming new character Arsenic, and old favorites from Finishing School and Parasol Protectorate. My only complaint is that I wish Epilogue was about 50 pages longer. I just wanted to see so much more of these beloved characters.

Favorite Bits:“Which one of us should
K Whatsherface
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The flirting in this book is amazing and I loved the cameos finishing school
Leonard
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reticence marks the end of an era, as Miss Gail Carriger has already stated that there will be no more books in the Parasol Protectorate/Custard Protocol universe. For that alone it deserves the four stars as creating this universe and such a series of books (3 generations of characters!) is no small feat.

The rest of this review does have spoilers, so click accordingly. (view spoiler)
Maja
(Realistic rating: probably closer to the 4-4.5 range, given how weirdly paced it is and how convoluted the end is -- but honestly, in my heart, I gotta round up, if only for the entire experience of the series and how perfectly it ends.)

God, I just LOVE this series. I love the premise, I love the scope of the worldbuilding (imperialism aside), I love the characters so, so, SO much, my perfect little found family!! I loved more than anything that this book brought in two things I absolutely fuck
Aaron
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This fourth books in the series shifts perspective a bit as researcher and scientist Percival "Percy" Tunstell takes center stage with a newly introduced character, Dr. Arsenic Ruthven. After their previous adventures, the crew of the Spotted Custard realize it would probably be a good idea to retain a medical doctor. They end up bringin on board Arsenic. As a female physician, she seems a perfect fit for a vessel staffed completely by all sorts of special people.

With this adventure, the crew fi
Sam Wescott
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, my heart is broken that this is the end of the series, but it was SO SO good. Gail really knows how to wrap up a series, my goodness. She even had a little epilogue called "a tidy little bow" or something like that. It was so emotionally satisfying.

I was pretty surprised that the last book in a series would introduce a new POV character, but I absolutely loved Arsenic and she fit into the series so well. And, you know, seeing all my beloved characters from the eyes of someone new was a ki
HeyT
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series because it doesn't take itself seriously so you always know you'll have a lighthearted adventure tale. The Custard Protocol centers around the mission of exploring new lands for previously unreported supernatural entities that may or may not need a helping hand and this was no exception. What I really liked about this one though was that the story focuses more on Percy who has kind of always been my favorite. Percy has no patience for social niceties and is more focused on kno ...more
Gail Carriger Fan...: Aug 2019: Reticence by Gail Carriger 22 52 Aug 26, 2019 12:41PM

• Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • The Enforcer Enigma (San Andreas Shifters, #3)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars, #1)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
  • Vixen Ecology (San Andreas Shifters, #3.5)
  • Calculated Risks (InCryptid, #10)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • An Unexpected Peril (Veronica Speedwell, #6)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The Dark Archive (The Invisible Library, #7)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

The Custard Protocol (4 books)
  • Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1)
  • Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)
  • Competence (Custard Protocol, #3)