Start by marking “The Last Tenant” as Want to Read:
The Last Tenant

The Last Tenant

Where does your blood come from? Do you really know?

This dark and mesmerising debut novel from Sarah Kisielowski tells the story of Daniel and his grandfather Albrecht: two estranged members of the same family who must cross borders in order to survive.

Daniel travels to Berlin in search of Albrecht, an old blind man who has lived alone for forty years in a derelict teneme
Paperback, First, 272 pages
Published September 1st 2016 by Fragment Press Limited

To ask other readers questions about The Last Tenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Tenant

Start your review of The Last Tenant
Phil Drouin
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book draws you in to a complex family, it is descriptive and as you read it you start having a feeling for the characters as their lives are told to you. As the book unfolds it is difficult to know where your pity lays, maybe it is with them all as they have all led a difficult life. As you pass through the book, the story unfolds the lives of the characters and they becomes more complex. At the end you feel that people have unburdened a past that they are both proud of and at the same time ...more
A.L. Brompton
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's takes time to decide, I think, whether a novel is truly good or not. For me, it's been two years since I read "The Last Tenant" and now I feel qualified to have an opinion. The first test: Did it stay with me? The answer: Most definitely. I find myself thinking about bits of it quite often. The second test: Would I read it again? The answer: Yes. A great roman noir. Would make a fine film.
Ingrid
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A novel spanning the decades after the Second World War. The voices are various and authentic, exploring love of country, city, language and family. A search for identity. A haunting and gripping read- recommend for book groups: I have for mine
Trudy
May 24, 2020 added it
Loved it
Hanna Payne
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book: I enjoyed the effortless build-up of suspense, and the smooth transition from 'then' to 'now' and back again. The main protagonists are convincing and complex characters. The book explores - with great sensitivity I believe - the complexities of human relationships where love and loss, and all emotions in between, are closely intertwined in a confused and confusing world. I was spell bound from beginning to end!
Judith Jenkinson
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This impressive first novel tells a compelling tale of Daniel's search for his own history and the revelations he finds when he goes to Berlin to find his grandfather Albrecht. It is a complex mix of times past and present. The story really comes to life in the meetings between Daniel and the young people in another flat, at the flea market and at the hospital. You know that the author has spent time in these places or done her research well, the reality is tangible. The emotion around Albrecht' ...more
Simon
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ambitiously told from different prospectives and at different times, this book makes an impression early on with the reader. The jumping time periods and protagonist could be jarring, but instead it works as a great device to tell a story - while still managing to keep you turning the pages until the end.

The main characters are believably flawed people, with believable demons of varying severity adding to the tension. You can almost get angry at them.

As a bonus, the wise choice use of language t
Valerie Bradon
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author manages to capture the secrets and trauma of post war Berlin while bringing modern day Berlin to life. She shows great understanding of both eras and the effect experiences have had on generations. As the story progresses, Albrecht's loss of sight is shown to be not only physical but an emotional blindness to the life he was living.
It is a really well researched book and I enjoyed learning about the family and the impact of their past on the present.
Michael
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully constructed story of a young man's search for the truth about his Grandfather. The book deals with the emotional involvements of it's many characters and their love, hate, fear and hopelessness within the various time frames of Berlin's shattered history. A thoroughly good read.
Georgina Mills
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written novel that has made me laugh, cry and now want to visit Berlin to see the setting for such an interesting read.
It opened my eyes and made me think about things in a different light as the characters drew me into their reality.
Can't recommend enough!
Paul
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
very thought provoking and interesting book, well written with many beautiful passages.
Daria
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
skillfully constructed world, bittersweet nostalgia for the past and immersive story... i found this book a great read, highly recommended!
Emmy
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Intriguing characters, fascinating story. Good book to read while travelling.
Lucy