Start by marking “Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps... and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind” as Want to Read:

Proven solutions for better nights, from the 'sleep guru' to sports stars including Cristiano Ronaldo
One third of our lives are spent trying to sleep. Most us have disturbed, restless nights and rely on a cocktail of caffeine and sugar to drag us through the day. Yet the hours we spend in bed shape our mood, motivation and decision-making skills - defining our performance

Published October 27th 2016 by Penguin Life (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep

Tõnu Vahtra
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maximizing rest while optimizing sleeping time. After this book I ordered a 10 000 LUX daylight lamp for my office desk, fixed alarm clock to 6AM 7 times a week (might move to earlier in coming weeks) and started calculating time for going to sleep in 90-minute cycles. Also found out what the most optimal sleeping position is (on the non-dominant side) and how to design the most optimal sleeping environment. Also found out why mobile phones have "night mode" and why it's actually scientifically ...more
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Initial thoughts: A few days ago, I read The Sleep Solution by W. Chris Winter. In his book, Winter maintained that locking ourselves down to 90-minute sleep cycles isn't always efficient and might even rob us of that extra hour of sleep we need, increasing our tiredness during the day. Whose advice then, should I follow? Nick Littlehales, the author of this book, Sleep, or Winter, who's a neurologist? Both authors research sleep but I'm more inclined to trust the the tra
Ryan
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, my dad was always a napper. He'd eat lunch and then sleep for a bit before going back to work. My grandfather was the same. I'm now in my mid 30s, and although I've long disdained naps, I found myself thinking a month or so ago that maybe I should start toying with them. So when this book came up in a search (for a different book on a different topic altogether), I figured I'd give a go.

Littlehales is a sleep coach for high performing athletes. There are some useful concepts in his b
Lilly
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I had definitely never taken the time to think about sleep or how I can strategically use sleep. For this, I give the author credit. There are good reminders of things we know (shouldn't play with devices before we sleep, and we should feel a little guilty that we look at them first thing, with squinty, tired morning eyes!) However, much of the material felt repetitive. At one point I turned to my husband and said "This could have been a pamphlet."

It's not a page-turner, but it's interesting en
Tudor Cretu
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Mi-am dorit sa gasesc lucruri care sa ma ajute in prezent ori aveam alte asteptari. Recomandarile din carte sunt de bun-simt, iar o persoana care a fost mai interesata de somn va cunoaste cam toate recomandarile: circurile circadiene de 90 de minute - dormeam dinainte de a afla din carte cate 3, 4.5, 6 sau 7.5 ore, hrana echilibrata si exercitiu fizic, "echipamentul de dormit", importanta mai mare pentru saltea decat pentru un pat - si aici m-am gandit la un pat direct din paleti sau unul care s ...more
Nigeyb
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard Nick Littlehales on Dr. Rangan Chatterjee's wonderful Feel Better Live More podcast, it was this which convinced me to read this book.

As I age I have found it increasingly hard to stay asleep. I nod off within 10 minutes however tend to wake up sometime between 3 and 5 am and struggle to get back to sleep. Consequently I have developed a keen interest in books and advice about sleep and have read a few books on the subject in the last few weeks.

Nick Littlehales is not a scientist, he's
Michael
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on Audible. Nick Littlehales gives top notch tips on how to improve your sleep, and he has the credentials and experience to back it up.

I usually have trouble sleeping 2-3 nights per work week, which I knew was really effecting my performance. After listening to this book my sleep habits immediately started to change and I sleep so much better now. More importantly my whole attitude towards sleep has changed and I don't get stressed out if I can't sleep, don't have the t
César T
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que contiene consejos útiles sobre el sueño. El autor trató de dar recomendaciones para varios públicos. Aunque esta obra, a pesar de ser corta, es extensa para su contenido. El autor provee ciertas bases científicas aunque me hubiera gustado que tuviera más explicaciones. A pesar de ello es un libro que vale la pena.
Cassie
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best book on sleep I have ever read. As a chronic horrible sleeper, there are some changes that will be made for me. This book also changed how I view sleep which has made me feel more relaxed about my weird sleep.
Jessica Gillies
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, sport
An interesting book with some practical tips that I'll probably try to implement at some point. The rhythm of the audio narration was a little odd, as other reviewers have mentioned, but I set it to 1.6x speed and found it better.

I would recommend this book as a quick read for someone who wants to improve their sleep.
Yordy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Keill
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Everyone's a fan of sleep, right? But despite how misery-inducing it is not to get a decent night's kip, sleep is rather underrated. Hopefully though, as the trend seems to be shifting towards a wider approach to well-being, things are about to shift. I have the opposite problem - I could probably sleep 24 hours a day if I didn't have to do things like work and eat and use the bathroom. This book helped me to get in touch with, again, that most underrated of things, the Circadian Rhythm. Whilst ...more
Huda Al-Anbar
Audiobooks.com purchase
I usually like nonfiction audiobooks that are narrated by the author.
The issue with this one is his voice, his tone, and all the athlete name dropping which I could not care less about.

The book did offer some interesting concepts, the 90 minute sleep cycles, the correct size and mattress sizes for couples, and cooler temperatures for bedrooms.

Some of what was said is well known information, no drinks before bed, complete darkness equals better sleep, get sun in the mornin
Meg
Sep 12, 2018 added it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
A reframing of sleep needs to cycles one can fit at different points of the day + week to ensure adequate recovery. Adding a pre-sleep and post-sleep routine that I'm pretty into - I like a good hour to wake up even if technically I'm a morning person. A criticism of modern mattress assumptions and the "ideal" sleeping posture. I'm still a little disappointed with the "napping with your eyes open" it just sounds like zoning out.
Marta
I think 3 stars is a little but too much for this book but I'd feel bad giving it 2... Parts of this book read like a advertising brochure - there should be a warning on the cover that the reader will be subjected to advertising! Other than that there was a bunch of good advice on how to sleep better, although hardly innovative.
Wilde Sky
This book gives tips for getting enough sleep.

I found some of the points interesting (such as the 90 minute sleep pattern) but overall it was a bit vague / repetitive / long winded for me and a lot of the points (I think) I’ve heard before.
Ciara H
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Not my cup of tea.
I work in a sleep laboratory and I didn't like the definitive nature of the book.
Roderick Hutchison
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
There are definitely useful tips for the sleep deprived,but God his writing style grates
Janine Zachariae
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Inhalt (in meinen Worten):

Was benötigen Leistungsspieler am dringendsten, neben dem Training? Einen erholsamen Schlaf.

In diesem Buch erfährt man, wie Nick Littlehals zu seinem Konzept gekommen ist und welche Mannschaften er damit zum Erfolg führte. Besonders die englischen Teams, wie Manchester United.

Wir erfahren, was es mit dem Chronotypen auf sich hat und welche Rolle die Erkenntnis spielt, ob man ein Abendmensch oder ein Morgenmensch ist.

Außerdem stellt er dem Leser einen Plan auf, wie er in
Lukasz
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
W moim życiu dość często zdarzało się, że miałem problemy ze snem, czy też po prostu czułem się w ciągu dnia mocno zmęczony. Dzięki tej książce zrozumiałem mechanizmy, procesy mojego własnego organizmu, które bezpośrednio związane są ze snem, regeneracją, wypoczynkiem. Po przeczytaniu muszę stwierdzić, że to niezmiernie wartościowa książka, niezmiernie się cieszę, że na nią natrafiłem.
Oprócz sporej dawki wiedzy książka dostarcza nam wskazówek jak możemy podnieść poziom kultury spania, wypoczynku
Lee Penney
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sleep. We all do it, but no one teaches us how. We’re all expected to know.

I’ve picked up various tips and tricks, both based on my own trial and error, and the occasional article I’ve skimmed, but I’ve never set about breaking it down. I know what I prefer and assume that’s right, for me at least.

Considering how much of an impact it can have on our health (physical and mental) and performance, it’s probably long past time we all took a bit more of an analytical look.

Which is where this book com
Zembroo
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2018
Po "Potędze Kiedy" ta książka jest tak naprawdę tylko dodatkiem, który uzupełnia (i to też nie w pełnym zakresie) wiedzę zdobytą wcześniej. Oparcie całej publikacji na doświadczeniach autora, pioniera w dziedzinie poprawiania jakości snu sportowców, co sam wielokrotnie powtarza, niestety spowodowało, że czyta się ją jak folder reklamowy. Ciągłe powtórzenia tych samych wniosków, choć są one oczywiście logiczne, powoduje znudzenie treścią. Ostatnią 1/3 przemęczyłam, byle tylko dotrzeć wreszcie do ...more
Maksym Lysak
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
After this book I set up my alarm clock to 6:30AM 7 times a week (weekends are still tough to follow this routine for me though) and once again confirmed for myself the tactic to calculate time for going to sleep in 90-minute cycles. It was a discovery that the most optimal sleeping position is foetal on your non-dominant side.
Also, trying to doing my best
a) avoiding gadgets before sleep (blue light is producing hormone melatonin which makes it more difficult to fall asleep. it's better to have
Ahuv
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nick Littlehales wrote the most helpful advice I’ve ever read about sleeping. I have literally spent 15 years battling with problems falling asleep, getting quality, unbroken sleep and battled with snoozing and groggy mornings.

His pre- and post sleep routine that I adhere to most nights a week now noticeably improve my mood and calmness in the evenings and mornings. I am more relaxed getting into work and feel less rushed that I give myself more time to process thoughts without a phone.
I have re
Narjis
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jeg synes ikke denne bog var meget relevant for mig , og hvor jeg bor.
Han taler også mest om voksne der har en næsten fast rutine ,fast arbejde og så hjem ..
så derfor vil R90 metoden måske passe bedre til dem .
Han nævner kort studerende og teenager .
Og jeg tror virkelig ikke han kender mange b-mennesker , fordi det med at stå op i et fast tidspunkt var dag om du har arbejde /skole/ weekend eller sommerferie er for mig helt skudt.
Efter en hård uge vil man gerne sove denne ekstra time om weekenden
Angela Watt
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a quick but informative and beneficial read from Nick Littlehales who acts as a sleep coach to athletes wanting to ensure top performance in their field. It's particularly useful if you're someone like me who is experiencing difficulties sleeping. I slept well for 50 years and then suddenly when the menopause hit, I had some real issues. This book gives you some strategies to help you and also helps you to see things from a different perspective in relation to the 90 minute cycles. It's ...more
Albert
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Do you like to sleep? It's still likely you're doing it wrong.
Do you like your bed? It's probably not the correct one for you.

The author is a sleep coach for the many sports teams in England and beyond, helping them to eke out as much performance as possible through better sleep. And who couldn't use instruction on obtaining better sleep?

Interesting topic. The author presents some new ways to think about sleep and how to do it better. I'm not sure I agree with everything, but some things I've
Joseph Hamilton
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I consider this read but when it comes to books on sleep I generally scan and read the chapters that are most relevant to me.
I question the author's assertion that a properly fitted mattress obviates the need for a pillow.
He points out that we usually start out in life with a 38 inch wide bed, move on to a 53 inch one and graduate to a 60 inch queen when we marry or otherwise acquire a sleeping partner. Of course, 60 divided by 2 is 30 or an 8 inch reduction from childhood. So he recommends a
Remy Sharp
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
In general, the concepts and ideas are pretty solid. A lot of common sense that revolves around using sunlight to help with sleep patterns. Somehow I personally experienced a similar sleeping pattern (sticking to a regular alarm, getting up quickly, getting sunlight) and it worked incredibly well for me for 2 years (until I broke the pattern).

The body of the book though is littered with how the author works with top sports teams, Manchester United, Man City, Arsenal, etc - top cyclists etc. I wa
Kami
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spore zaskoczenie. Pozytywne. Żadne tam pieprzenie kotka przy pomocy młotka, tylko dobrze sprzedany, podparty badaniami i doświadczeniem zawodowym konkret (moc przydatnych ciekawostek na temat zdrowego snu i zdrowego życia podanych jak na TEDzie). Przy czym autor niczego czytelnikom nie wciska, zwyczajnie dzieli się wiedzą, której nie musicie zastosować. Ja na pewno nie wprowadzę w życie wszystkiego, ale lubię mieć pełny obraz. Koniec końców okazało się, że mimo paskudnych sowich nawyków mój org ...more

• The Career Manifesto: Discover Your Calling and Create an Extraordinary Life
  • The Social Leap: The New Evolutionary Science of Who We Are, Where We Come From, and What Makes Us Happy
  • The Happy Depressive: In Pursuit of Personal and Political Happiness
  • SuperFoods HealthStyle: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health
  • Brand, Meet Story: How to Create Engaging Content to Win Business and Influence Your Audience
  • Formerly Known As Food: How the Industrial Food System Is Changing Our Minds, Bodies, and Culture
  • What's Your Creative Type?: Harness the Power of Your Artistic Personality
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • This Is Your Do-Over: The 7 Secrets to Losing Weight, Living Longer, and Getting a Second Chance at the Life You Want
  • Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • The Devil Rides Out
  • Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
  • The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses
  • The 100: Count ONLY Sugar Calories and Lose Up to 18 Lbs. in 2 Weeks
  • The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It
  • Remember This When You're Sad: A book for mad, sad and glad days (from someone who's right there)
  • Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer Through Diet
  • Galloway's Book on Running
“In fact, setting a constant wake time is one of the most powerful tools at our disposal when looking to improve the quality of our recovery. Our bodies love it, with our circadian rhythms, set by the rise and fall of the sun, working around a consistent point, and our minds love it, because through this constant wake time we can build the confidence to be more flexible in other aspects of our lives.” 1 likes
“CYCLES NOT HOURS: SEVEN STEPS TO SLEEP SMARTER Your constant wake time is the anchor that holds in place the R90 technique – set one, and stick to it. If you share your bed with a partner, get them to do the same, and ideally make them the same time. Think of sleep in ninety-minute cycles, not hours. Your sleep time is flexible, but it is determined by counting back in ninety-minute slots from your wake time. Look at sleep in a broader tract of time to take the pressure off. One ‘bad night’s sleep’ won’t kill you – think of it in cycles per week. Try to avoid three nights of fewer cycles than your ideal back to back. It’s not simply quality vs. quantity. Know how much you need. For the average person, thirty-five cycles per week is ideal. Twenty-eight (six hours per night) to thirty is OK. If you’re getting anything less which isn’t planned for, you might be overdoing it. Aim to achieve your ideal amount at least four times per week.” 1 likes