Start by marking “Whichwood (Furthermore, #2)” as Want to Read:
Whichwood (Furthermore, #2)

Whichwood (Furthermore #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,066 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
A new adventure about a girl who is fated to wash the bodies of the dead in this companion to Furthermore.

Our story begins on a frosty night…

Laylee can barely remember the happier times before her beloved mother died. Before her father, driven by grief, lost his wits (and his way). Before she was left as the sole remaining mordeshoor in the village of Whichwood, destined t
Published November 14th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Whichwood, please sign up.
Celeste I read Whichwood without having read Furthermore and enjoyed it. That being said, now I really want to read Furthermore!

Whitney Atkinson
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

lmao i forgot to come back and give this an actual review, so here i am like 6 months later.
Tbh I don't remember much but I know that I loved Laylee and the writing was atmospheric and beautiful as always, but I couldn't really tell what this was trying to do. Some of the plot and setting elements just seemed slightly too much at arm's length to really comprehend but it was glossed over quickly. Despite the insanity of the world, its hyperbolic nature is reminiscent of classic children'
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*

Tahereh Mafi does such a great job with writing these dark, imaginative MG novels. I love them! I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Furthermore but it was still super good!!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Infant snow drifted down in gentle whorls, flakes as large as pancakes glinting silver as they fell. Shaggy trees wore white leaves and moonlight glimmered across a glassy lake. The night was soft and all was slow and snow had hushed the earth into a deep, sound slumber and oh, winter was fast approaching.

This book was amazing!

Laylee is a mordeshoor, the last one in the village. Things happened with her mother and father and she is the only one left to tend to the dead. She bathes the dead an
Lola
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
3.5 stars. This was slightly more interesting than Furthermore. I find it peculiar that it is marketed as a companion to its predecessor, because to me it feels like a sequel, though one whose main character is Laylee instead of Alice.

Laylee and Alice have something in common: both of their fathers have disappeared. They also both have magical abilities, but Laylee’s are much darker. Her job is to prepare dead bodies to the afterlife, a consuming task that gnaws at her lifeline.

Indeed, Laylee
Hannah Greendale

A morbidly curious tale, in which thirteen-year-old Laylee's profession is washing corpses, the narrator excessively breaks the fourth wall to explain the story, and Alice from Furthermore makes an appearance to impart the "healing power of friendship."

Whichwood is the second book in the Furthermore Series. The first novel, Furthermore, is categorized as middle-grade, while Whichwood - strangely - has bee
Candace Robinson
I absolutely loathe middle grade books for the most part with the exception of a couple of books including Furthermore. I find them not gritty enough, however, I'm fine with like children's picture books. Yes, this book was dark... yeah darkly awesome. People need to calm down. Did anyone not read Scary Stories back in elementary school? That pretty much had cannibalism going down! Lol! I have an eight-year-old myself who has already read all the Harry Potter books, so I would have no problem wi ...more
Andreea Pop
Aug 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
Holy Sh*t. *please be YA please be YA OR BETTER YET NA*
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Edit: I CANNOT EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW HAPPY THIS COVER MAKES ME :'))))))
___________

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.
IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING.

Persian fantasy ! yeah !

Jessi ♡
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
maybe it was not naiveté, but suffering, that inspired kindness. maybe, she thought, it was pain that inspired compassion
tahereh mafi has a way of making me relate to any character, no matter how fantastical or ridiculous or far fetched from reality their situation is. i can always bring back what she's saying into my own life. it's so important that books like these are being written for kids today.
Merphy Napier
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our MC in Whichwood was spooky, emotional, and so so so unique. I absolutely LOVED her. The story went WAY darker than I expected it to and the moral of it was simply beautiful. Tahereh has this ability to sneak really important lessons in her stories without it feeling heavy handed at all. I loved this story and the depth of it so much. The ending was... odd. (view spoiler) ...more
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
WHAT THE HOLLY FUCK?!
As long as she doesn't pull another Warner on us, i think i'll be fine. :D
Sabrina
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc
Checkout my full review on my blog!! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

Just like Furthermore, Whichwood is magical with lyrical writing that ensnares readers from beginning to end. Along with the lyrical writing, I loved the Persian fantasy elements interwoven throughout the novel. It's hard to find Persian fantasy elements done so well and I cherish this book dearly.

Laylee, along with Alice and Oliver from Furthermore, go on a magical journey of self discovery. The world building was ama
Glire
Aug 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
A fantasy about a girl who washes dead bodies for a living?

Yas!

Please, let her be as badass as Arya.
Sharon
Dec 17, 2016 marked it as to-read
"a dark Persian fantasy about a girl who washes dead bodies for a living" <---- SIGN ME UPPPPPPP (not for the washing dead bodies, but for the book, of course LOL)
Connor
[2.5 Stars]
There were some things I really enjoyed. I liked the children's powers especially the new girl Laylee. She's this fantasy world's version of a mortician, and it was cool to see how much respect she had for bodies and the process of death. I thought the descriptions of the world did the story justice and helped create a more charming feel. I enjoyed the messages of not standing in your own way to happiness and success. And I thought the message of helping others in good faith as oppos
Janani
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should've guessed it how cold and deathly the book would've been just by looking at the cover. I realised that my life is a lie when i thought this book would also be like Furthermore, colorful and the food worth drooling. But instead, everything in here is miserable, intense, sad, depressing and I LOVE IT MORE. Because i want to be broken. Not a big deal.

- so this is not for people who could easily get their heart broken if they witness the sufferingS of another especially a child.
- if you do
Alison
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
I did a full review of this on my youtube channel (which you can watch here).
I enjoyed this for the most part but am concerned with some of the content for young readers. Yes, it deals with the dead, but it does go into describing the gross details at times. On top of that, it describes the "darkness" in Laylee, and the depression and anger and hate that comes along with being unwanted. I'd hate to know that there are kids who can relate to that, but I know that there are. So while so
Julie Zantopoulos
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2017
This is probably closer to a 3.5 read for me but I'm rounding up because the message seemed incredibly fitting for today's climate. That said, this is still pitched in the unfinished ARC copy that I have as a middle grade, 5th grade, 10+ book and while I respect young readers I think this is incredibly graphic for a young reader. There were parts that I got squeamish reading and found deeply disturbing.

I didn't ever love Laylee and while I liked Ben, Alice and Oliver and Laylee enough the buddi
ALEXA
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.5 stars. What a delight to read! I thoroughly enjoyed Mafi's latest middle grade. The magic, the tale, the characters - it all came together beautifully to become the whimsical, wonderful content between these pages.
Monica Haak
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 sterren
een heel mooi fantasierijk boek over vriendschap met een wat duister tintje

Angelica
A lot of authors are good writers. Tahereh Mafi is a great one. She is one of those writers that can weave magic by stringing words together and it is truly beautiful to see.

This tale, much like Furthermore, was equal parts whimsical, beautiful, magical, eerie and disturbing. Sadly, that wasn’t enough to save this book for me.

When I first read Furthermore, back in 2016, I wasn’t exactly a huge fan of it. The writing was truly magical and completely immersive, but it was a tad bit overwhelming.
Maggie
Aug 21, 2016 marked it as to-read

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING AND I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW PLEASE
Ana
“But Laylee Layla Fenjoon was in possession of a rare gift she’d yet to understand:
She did not allow the opinions of others to dictate who she was.
This was not a quality she’d been born with. It was not a skill she’d intended to acquire. No, this was an ability forged exclusively from hardship; it was a lesson unearthed from the ashes of betrayal and loss. Pain had hardened her skin while suffering had softened her heart.”

I think I liked this companion novel more than Furthermore, for completely
Dayla
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much like Furthermore, the voice actor was brilliant in this! The story is definitely older however and I find it kind of odd that it's labelled as a middle grade when it is more for the young adult audience. Loved it, however, and even though it took me forever to read, once I got into it, I couldn't stop listening!

Happy reading!
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017-releases
I don't care who. I don't care when. I don't care how. I WANT THIS NOW.

zainab_booklover
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the release day:

Edited, after Reading it :

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! That's what I keep repeating whenever I read one of Tahereh Mafi books. And Whichwood, companion to Furthermore, had me impressed in every page. Despite being about a little a girl who washes dead people as a profession, it's a book that can be read by all ages and they will all find something to relate to. Once you delve into the book, you'll find a lot of important notions that are subtly dealt with. The book is writ
Kayla
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked this book, it wasn't as good as the first installment but still an enjoyable middle grade read.
For a children's book, it's very dark and creepy and I loved that about it but still? Maybe make this book for Young Adults.
Priss
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5. Highly enjoyable, but I still felt it was lacking something? Maybe the writing style just isn't a good fit with me... I did really like the ending though!

Buddyread met Annemieke!
Sara Saif
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Even though I knew it was about ‘a girl who washes dead bodies’, I didn’t expect what I got. It was morbid, fascinating, heart-breaking, sweet, rich and somewhat disturbing. Scratch that, it was a LOT disturbing.
It’s like getting a nicely wrapped present that also fortunately, happens to have something you actually wanted. WIN.

There is no respite from the dark and disturbing things, it starts that way and ends that way and your heart is literally hurting all the way through. I didn’t like Furthe
BooktubeSFF Awards: Whichwood Readalong 2 28 May 04, 2018 12:34PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Whichwood (Furthermore #2) by Tahereh Mafi - Starting March 1 2018 14 9 Mar 04, 2018 02:53AM
Fantastic Books a...: January 16 5 Feb 22, 2018 09:41PM
DiverseCity: I Do Dearly Love A Happy Ending 2 7 Nov 29, 2017 01:20AM
DiverseCity: Finally, A Bit Of Good News 2 2 Nov 29, 2017 01:17AM
DiverseCity: Now, Where Were We? 2 3 Nov 29, 2017 01:15AM
DiverseCity: Come, Let's Leave This Place For A Bit 2 3 Nov 29, 2017 01:12AM
Tahereh Mafi is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Shatter Me series. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California with her husband, fellow author Ransom Riggs. She can usually be found over-caffeinated and stuck in a book. Shatter Me is her first series, with television rights optioned by ABC Signature Studios; Fur ...more
More about Tahereh Mafi

Furthermore (2 books)
  • Furthermore (Furthermore, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“But one day, she swore, she'd breathe light and color back into the dimness that had diminished her life.” 5 likes
“It is, after all, a simple and tragic thing that on occasion our unkindness to others is actually a desperate effort to be kind to ourselves.” 5 likes