Start by marking “The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)

The Fix

(Amos Decker #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  55,670 ratings  ·  3,522 reviews
David Baldacci's remarkable detective Amos Decker - the man who can forget nothing - was first introduced in the sensational number-one New York Times best seller Memory Man. Now Decker returns in a stunning new novel....

The Fix

Amos Decker witnesses a murder just outside FBI headquarters. A man shoots a woman execution style on a crowded sidewalk, then turns the gun on h
Published April 18th 2017 by Grand Central Publishing

·  55,670 ratings  ·  3,522 reviews

Start your review of The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
Luffy
I don't feel inspired to write a review, and for pages in this book, I didn't think that Baldacci was inspired with writing The Fix. Face it Baldacci fans, you're used to reading his books that have 500-ish pages.

Like usual, the author pulled the fat out of the fire just when things were getting noticeably boring. I felt despaired. Fortunately things improved just when I had abandoned all hopes of a return to form.

The Fix is perhaps the only Baldacci book where a cruel death is averted at the en
Mary Beth
This is the third book in the Amos Decker Series. I loved the first two books in this series and when I got this from Overdrive I was so excited. I listened to the audiobook. Ugh!!! Only to be left in utter disappointment. I felt like this was written by another author. It was so different than the first two books. I am a fan of this author and he never disappointed me. If you are a fan of spy and espionage thrillers, I think you will love this one. I wouldn't really call it a thriller but more ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Fix is the 3rd book in the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci.
Amos Decker and his team are faced with a baffling new case. Walking past the FBI's Hoover Building, Decker witnesses a man shooting a woman dead right in front of the building's entrance before killing himself.

Investigations seem to be leading nowhere...at first, there seems to be no connection between the two people but soon Decker, with his memory talents, discovers a plot filled with betrayals, family secrets and a lot mor
*TANYA*
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Amos Decker is officially one of my favorite book characters, ever!! The story starts off with a "bang" literally and escalates into scary territory. David Baldacci's writing style is unfathomable!! Fantastic book!!
Amy
May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this had been any other author, I never would have bothered finishing this. For me, extremely repetitious and boring. 2 stars is a gift.
Barbara
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bayb-2018

This is the third book in David Baldacci's 'Amos Decker' series, but it provides enough background information to be read as a standalone.

*****

Amos Decker, 6'5" tall and over 300 pounds, was a professional football player until a massive hit ended his career and left him with hyperthymesia and synesthesia.

The hyperthymesia gives Decker a permanent detailed memory of everything he's ever seen or experienced - like a combination photo album/video in his head. And the synesthesia makes Decker see
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Amos Decker is walking to the FBI building in Washington DC when he witnesses Walter Dabney, a prominent owner of a government contracting firm, pull out a gun and shoot a woman who was also walking in that vicinity. He then turns the gun on himself. It's clear that Dabney murdered Anne Berkshire, a substitute school teacher, but what's not so clear is the why. Since Decker witnessed the event and the case is handed to the FBI, the task force is given the assi
Beth Stothard
The first 2 books in this series were inspired and I was totally expecting the 3rd to continue that standard. Unfortunately it was not to be.

The writing was pedestrian, the dabney character was tedious and it all felt a bit dreary.

Deckers synesthsia was barely mentioned in this book, just a passing reference and too much emphasis was put on his flicking memory frames.

I found it dull and unlike the other books which I devoured I struggled to read this until the end.

Adrienne
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: david-baldacci
David Baldacci is one of my top favourite thriller writers. His ability to create complex plots is impressive. The characters he fictionalises are such clear 'persons'. I see them and the plot like an action movie in my mind.
Amos Decker, detective, is the key character in this book and there are 3 excellent books involving him
The prose was terrific, the plotting and pace superb. Unputdownable
The Real Book Spy
Read this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

Following the events of last year’s The Last Mile, newly-hired FBI agent Amos Decker returns for his third outing in David Baldacci’s The Fix.

Amos Decker is not your average FBI agent. His size is the first thing that stands out, as Decker–a massive, hulk-like figure–still has the frame and body size that carried him to the NFL, where an injury ended his playing days.

The career-ending injury he suffered, though, caused some rare side effects. T
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Fix is the third book in the Amos Decker series. You don't have to read the previous books to enjoy this one. Personally, haven't I read the first book yet (although I'm eyeing right now since it's on my desk waiting to be read).

Amos Decker and his team have a new case, a man shoots and kills a woman outside FBI headquarters and then he shoots himself. But why? The man and the woman have no connection to each other and no one can understand why he did it. This is a strange case that soon get
Tim
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second half is much better than the first, likely because of uninteresting and unappealing characters. All in all, a less than average effort from Baldacci. 6 of 10 stars
Tory
May 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, dnf
DNFed at 31%. This book is written like CRAP. Show, don't tell! I'll never be reading Baldacci again, if all his books are drivel like this one.

Best part: "why is there toilet paper in a house where the plumbing doesn't work? A-HA! There's a hidden key and a flash drive inside the spring gasket. Of course! I knew it!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
Lewis Weinstein
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a first-rate thriller from start to finish ... lot's of action and intrigue ... surprises ... and some thoughtful internal monologues as well
Gary
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the excellent Amos Decker series by author David Balacci.
Although I enjoyed it I didn't feel it quite lived up to the previous two in the series but appealed more to me personally because I enjoy the characters.
Amos Decker is not your normal FBI Agent and it is these differences that make the character so interesting. A big man who played in the NFL until injury finished his career. The injury he suffered to his head left him with rare case of hyperthymesia which means th
Helga
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, crime
3.5

I usually don’t like to read espionage or political thrillers, but this one grabbed my attention from the start. But midway through it became a bit boring and there were some unnecessary scenes, which could have been omitted.
Amos Decker witnesses a murder-suicide in front of the FBI headquarters and is determined to find out why a seemingly respected family-man would shoot a school teacher, with whom he didn’t have any connection.
This was an intriguing and well written book, with well develop
Pamela
3.5 Incredible hook at the beginning, right on the first page! Incredible denouement at the end! The surprising ending was absolutely stunning and, therefore, the bump in stars. However, in the middle it became frustratingly slow and drawn out. I love the Amos Decker character and his thought processes. To fully enjoy and understand this character and series, you need to read the series from the beginning.
Suzanne
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Seriously loving this series! This is the third installment of the Amos Decker series and it is full of mystery and becomes one amazing spy thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I’m going to read the Will Robie series then read the Fallen because I know I will miss Amos Decker and his supporting cast if I read Fallen right now. 😭🤣

My quick and simple overall: fast-paced and full of mystery. Loved the spy angle.
Tina Woodbury
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars
The Fix by David Baldacci is the third book in the Amos Decker series. For me reading a Baldacci book is like going home – you know what to expect and you never leave disappointed.

In this latest installment, like the previous book, Amos is still working for the FBI. On his way to a meeting in the J. Edgar Hoover Building (world headquarters for the FBI) he witnesses a murder/suicide just outside its doors. His former FBI colleagues, Alex Jamison, Ross Bogart, and Todd Milligan,
Terence M (Spring is in My Step!)
Audiobook - 11:53 Hours - Narrators: Kyf Brewer,‎ Orlagh Cassidy
2.0 Stars - it was OK

From my progress notes: "Roughly half-way through, I am being distracted by the "ordinariness" of the writing, with some of the dialogue being almost banal. I am a fan of David Baldacci and to date I have read/listened to over 20 (novels) of his prodigious output. At this stage, "The Fix" is unlikely to rate very highly with me."

I don't subscribe to the view of some reviewers that David Baldacci uses a ghost wr
Margitte
Yet another highly readable, riveting saga by David Baldacci. I listened to this novel and really appreciated the narrator's way of keeping me connected to Amos Decker, the detective with the extraordinary memory. I was so embedded in the action, and felt part of the detective team, really. The intrigue around the murder in front of the J. Edger Hoover building inspired me to listen late into the night. Sleep became an after thought.

I just love this author's writing style. A perfect choice for
Matt
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Perhaps a 3.5 star rating on this occasion.

David Baldacci surfaces with another Amos Decker fast-paced thriller, keeping readers hooked from its explosive start through to the final, lingering sentences. While walking outside the FBI's Hoover Building, Amos Decker witnesses a woman shot in apparent cold blood before the shooter turns the gun on himself. With the environs in shock, Decker uses his eidetic memory to capture the scene before reporting to his FBI Task Force. Usually handed cold case
kartik narayanan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am getting sick of saying this but it is what it is. The Fix is yet another excellent Amos Decker story. David Baldacci has been knocking it out of the park with this series and The Fix is no exception.

Amos Decker does his Rainman stuff - awesome deductions coupled with being mildly sociopathic. The rest of the team also contribute in their own way. The story has multiple layers (like an onion and Shrek); with every mystery being solved, there are a couple more which come out into the open. T
Reza Arkani
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story has a strong start, but leaves you wondering if you are still keen to finish the book and have the secret revealed after the first 50-100 pages. The readers will be awarded with a big twist only if they keep reading the book until the very end.

Baldacci is of course a renowned author in this genre, but I would not say ‘The Fix’ is among his best works.
Jim
3.5 Stars

In the third book in the Memory Man series Amos Decker is on his way to a meeting at FBI headquarters when he witnesses a murder on the street right outside of the Hoover Building. Walter Dabney shoots Anne Berkshire in the head on the crowded sidewalk and then turns the gun on himself.

Dabney had worked for the National Security Agency (NSA) before starting his own consulting business. The business had grown and was very successful. He was also happily married with four grown children.
Donna
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 33rd book that I've read by this author. David Baldacci is by far my most read male author. I've enjoyed his books. I can't say, though, that I'm enjoying this particular series. It is probably my least favorite.

There were parts of this that felt like 4 stars for me, and other parts that had me rolling my eyes. So I'll settle for 3 stars. What I like the most about his stories in general are the intricate story lines. He can weave a creative story with lots of bends in the road. Thi
Mike
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I understand this is only the third book in the series but i have to admit it’s the most disappointing and poorly written. I lost count with the number of times our hero repeated unanswered questions to himself. It was almost like the author Felt necessary to frequently check in with the reader’s follow along. A disruptive page filler

more so than the prior novels, Decker came off quite arrogant in this storyline. Ive come to expect his Hercule Poirot “I know who dunnit in the half the time you a
Terri Wino
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2017
This was definitely not one of my favorite Baldacci books. It starts out with a bang and really grabbed my attention from the beginning. But then about midway through it just started to get boring and tedious for me. It just seemed like there were too many forced plot twists that weren't really all that shocking and didn't add much to the story for me.

If you haven't read any of his other books, don't let this one be your gauge -- this is definitely on the lower end of the scale and most of his o
Skip
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Amos Decker Book 3. He is in a coffee shop outside FBI headquarters when he sees a guy shoot a seemingly random woman to death and then kill himself with the same weapon. Amos is working with his usual team although we see very little of anyone but his partner, ex-reporter, Alex Jamison. We do get to see Melvin Mars return along with the introduction of a female NSA spook, who is involved because the killer is a significant military systems contractor. Unraveling the killer's many motivations an ...more
BookWorm 007
The book was good, story line was brilliant got me hooked from the start but after crossing half the book i felt there was many unwanted stuffs added to the book, the ending was swift and clean. And the twists, the author tried to make plot twist at every chapter but nothing was remarkable. Overall the book could have been shorter.
Monroe Public Lib...: The Fix Is In 1 3 Feb 15, 2020 08:45AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 3 12 Aug 29, 2019 01:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correct page count 4 18 Mar 27, 2019 07:31PM
Play Book Tag: The Fix by David Baldacci (3 Stars) 1 14 Aug 06, 2018 08:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 19 Mar 14, 2017 07:49AM

• The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch, #21; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Camino Island (Camino Island #1)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • The Guardians
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)
  • The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)
  • Two Kinds of Truth (Harry Bosch, #20; Harry Bosch Universe, #30)
  • The Wrong Side of Goodbye (Harry Bosch, #19; Harry Bosch Universe, #28)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Boy from the Woods
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more

Amos Decker (6 books)
  • Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1)
  • The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)