Start by marking “Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time” as Want to Read:
Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  476 ratings  ·  141 reviews
"Love Beyond, Body, Space, and Time" is a collection of indigenous science fiction and urban fantasy focusing on LGBT and two-spirit characters. These stories range from a transgender woman trying an experimental transition medication to young lovers separated through decades and meeting far in their own future. These are stories of machines and magic, love, and self-love. ...more
Published September 30th 2016 by Bedside Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

really liked it 4.00  ·

Debbie
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most depictions of Native peoples are by people who aren't Native... people who feel compelled to create Native characters and stories, but who do so from a place of good intentions shaped by hundreds of years of misrepresentations of who we were, and who we are. As a Native scholar and literary critic working primarily in children's and young adult literature, I often feel quite raw after reading one starred messed up book after another about Native peoples.

With that as context, I gotta say th
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Some really great stories in here! And not a bad one in the bunch! I'd call this more a collection of speculative fiction rather than strict science fiction, so there's something in here for you even if you're not a hard SF fan. Full review here
Shira Glassman
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shira by: everyone lol
My favorite story in the Love Beyond Body, Space, & Time collection is cis f/f fluff by Darcie Little Badger, about which she says, "Né łe is a lighthearted story about lesbians and puppies in space." Forty chihuahas (and one husky!) need care when the dog stasis on the transport to Mars malfunctions and they all wake up, so the crew wakes up one of the human passengers, an Apache veterinarian on her way to the Martian colony to start over after a breakup. Really, does anything I say here ma ...more
Romie
Aliens, by Richard Van Camp
4/5 Definitely a beautiful story with a Two-Spirited character
Legends are made, not born, by Cherie Dimaline 2/5 Didn’t really understand what this story was about . . .
Perfectly you, by David A. Robertson
4.5/5 OMG I LOVED THIS ONE! It shows how important it is to enjoy your life while you can
The boys who became the hummingbirds, by Daniel Heath Justice
5/5 Definitely my favourite! This story is about being who you truly are, and not being ashamed of it. And you should
Emma
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Love beyond body, space, and time
is a collection of indigenous science fiction and urban fantasy focusing on LGBT and two-spirit characters. It is very well done and it was so nice to read about all these characters. I must admit that I liked some stories more than others. My favourite was definitely Aliens by Richard Van Camp, I really liked it.
If you're into sci-fi, indigenous history and L
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I requested an e-ARC for this sci-fi anthology from Indigenous writers, most who identify somewhere on the QUILTBAG & two-spirit spectrum. My exposure to such an intersection is pathetically close to zero. But I hope this anthology will inspire more publishers to buy works from queer, Indigenous SFF writers, because the world needs more of this.

We have some great openings from Hope Nicholson, Grace L. Dillon, and Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair before
Rie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and necessary book. Hope Nicholson, in her editors' intro, says:

"Stories, when they're told, have an enormous opportunity to connect people, to bind hearts and minds and stories, to make one feel like they're not alone. I strongly believe in this."

As an anthology, I believe every reader will find something to connect with. As I believe firmly in letting the authors words speak for themselves, let me quote my favorites, the heartwarming “Né łe!" by Darcie Little Badger (dogs and wlw
Gabi
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful and tender anthology.
I went into it with little to none knowledge about indigenous writers or two-spirits. So for me the introductory essays were very good and helpful.
Although I would half of the stories not necessarily count among SF, every single one of them convinces with humanity and loving understanding of the authors for their characters. I felt somehow safe and warm while reading them.

My favourites were:

- "Perfectly you" by David A. Robertson, which deeply moved me an
autumn
i really liked almost all the stories in this! my favorites were Né łe, Valediction at the Star View Hotel, and especially The Boys Who Became the Hummingbirds. I also really appreciated that a lot (more than half) of the stories were about trans characters - in 'lgbt' anthologies (and 'lgbt' stories in general) like this it's usually at least 99% cis gay people.
Glaiza
"So they darted to those whose hearts beat strongest, streaks of blinding bright grace, calling to them in soft voices, sharing stories of possibility beyond the grim dust of what was to a hopeful possibility of what could be."

- The Boys Who Became The Hummingbirds, Daniel Heath Justice

I wish I could have spent more time in each of the speculative worlds as I was so immersed in the different tensions, joys and resolutions of each one.

Cont'd on the blog: https://paperwanderer.wordpress.com/2...
Nicole Field
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
NetGalley Review

I was really excited to read this anthology. Far too many books about persons of colour aren't written by the people they are representing. And to add to it, this book was specifically LGBTI? I was hooked. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem I found was the order of the first four stories, put together in such a way that it seemed all the contributions to this anthology were a bit sameish. That's not the fault of the contributors, of course, but it made an inesca
Paul
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of stories. My favorite was probably IMPOSTER SYNDROME by Mari Kurisato, which is a great story that adds it's own unique elements to a "Philip k dick/cyberpunk"-ish kind of story. I would definitely recommend this collection to anyone who loves sci-fi & fantasy
K.
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is impressive. It's everything I've ever wanted. Native stories by Native authors, scifi and fantasy elements, LGBT and two-spirit characters...I didn't want it to end. I hope another anthology comes out in the future!
Elizabeth
Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time is an excellent collection of short stories, and its existence is completely necessary. I think marginalised communities deserve to be able to read more genre fiction about themselves, especially when there are so many ways that marginalised identities intersect. This anthology fills a gap that deserves to be filled.

I was familiar with some of the writers in this anthology, and the ones I already knew were ones I already adored. Some of the others were entirely
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)

I enjoyed - even loved - most of the stories in this anthology. And, not only did they entertain me immensely, but they educated me too.
Lexie
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this on NetGalley

This was such a beautiful book! I normally struggle to read short story anthologies, but every single story in this was so easy to read. They characters were all so unique and wonderful, and the world-building was especially impressive, given how short some of these stories were. Each one had so much heart, and I loved every single one. Reading this book felt like I was given an incredibly precious gift, and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to r
Joy
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I essentially read this cover-to-cover, but it was in pdf. Very much recommended.
Ashleigh
I know very little about indigenous people, but I am always open to learning more about different cultures and backgrounds.

I had actually never heard about two-spirited people before, and I really appreciated the great description we got at the beginning of the book.

Unfortunately, this anthology just didn't work for me. I thought the writing in the majority of the stories was good, and it definitely helped introduce me to topics I knew nothing about, but I wouldn't say I loved the anthology. Al
Alia
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so dang beautiful.
Emily
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Watch a mini-review in my August 2017 wrap up!

I REALLY enjoyed this anthology!

This book is an exploration of love in its many forms, and though I liked some stories more than others, all of them were evocative. This is an anthology that will make you FEEL. In particular I loved Né Łe by Darcie Little Badger--badass veterinarian in space? Ladies loving ladies? PUPPIES IN SPACE??? What more do you want?--and Transitions by Gwen Benaway--the end of this one, in particular, was just beautiful. I lo
Jenna
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! There are times when I read Sci Fi and I am astounded by new ideas & concepts. This was one of those experiences but enhanced even more because it's Native. A few of these stories made me feel like I was sitting & listening to one of my grandma's or another tribal elder's stories. It's wonderful to find books like that - I don't often do. And all of this combined with queer characters and ideas.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Overall I really enjoyed this but I would have liked for the stories to be more similar in length. I didn't enjoy the super long to super short structure to this anthology. however I felt like I learned a lot and it was Canadian which I didn't know before starting so I was very impressed. Review to come on Books and Ladders!
Zaneta Kucharczyk
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
An e-copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Love Beyond Body, Space and Time is a sci-fi anthology of stories about indigenous LGBTQ+ and Two-Spirited people, written by own voices authors.
I've picked up this book for a few different reasons:
- I enjoy short stories and anthologies are a great way for me to split up my reading, especially after reading long books;
- Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres to read;
- I am not very knowledgeable on the topic of indigenous people a
Isaiah
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
To read more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Like any anthology there are stories that are amazing and some that just don't do it for me. There were stories that were so fantastic I would have read full length novels of them without blinking like they were than engrossing.

One of my favorite stories has a bunch of dogs, which if you know me is the exact way to get to my heart. The dogs were a great way to get the love story going. It allowed an older woman and a young
Danielle Kraichy
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read so many amazing stories from this anthology. One in particular stuck with me and I even chose to bring two characters into the visual from our imagination by painting them (that's how much I enjoyed it!). Auntie Dave and the narrator from "Legends are Made, Not Born" (2016) by Cherie Dimaline (one of the many short stories in this collection) are beautiful people to imagine for our future and know in our present.

Having the chance to explore different universes and read about Indigenous p
Siobhán
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for the free book.*

This excellent collection of Indigenous short stories focuses on queer and two-spirited characters in urban fantasy or science-fiction settings. All stories were well crafted and written, I immensely enjoyed reading them. Like promised in the introduction (an excellent introduction into two-spiritedness and its reception and misrepresentation throughout the centuries) you will fall in love with the chara
Cara M
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heroine, heartfood
the is a great collection of very different stories that still all feel cohesive as they explore different facets of love with Indigenous LGBTQ and two spirit characters. there are bright moments in each of the pieces within this anthology, and overall the collection felt hopeful even though it didn't shy away from the oppressions and microaggressions the characters faced. highly recommended!

would also note what editor Hope Nicholson writes in the Letter from the Editor, talking about why some i
Heatherblakely
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, own
3.5, rounding up. Pretty good collection--there were some stories I really, really liked, and some that bored me. If you can pick this up, definitely do so (right now it's $5 for the Kindle version and $10 for the paperback), because it'll help expand your horizons and introduce you to some new authors. My one big nitpicky thing was that I think the intro and forward from Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair and Grace Dillon should have come before Hope Nicholson's intro; I know she edited it and it's ...more
Manuel
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
it's not really a 'sci-fi anthology' as its subtitle proclaims for it to be.
only two really short sci-fi stories (out of eight): Né Le! by Darcie Little Badger, and Imposter Syndrome by Mari Kurisato. most of the stories revolve around loving experiences of some 'two-spirit' (LGTBQ) indigenous character... i honestly did not see any sci-fi in there, at all.

Niigaan Sinclair writes a brief historical essay (very instructive for ignorants like me) on how the freaking 'white man' shamefully prosecut
Cora Snow
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
4/5.

Positive: This was a really great anthology full of great stories. My favourite was Né Łe!, it was so good and fun and also thoughtful, with great worldbuilding and characters. I liked the majority of the stories in this book, and as promised, they're all Indigenous authors with Indigenous characters and culture. The whole thing is really worth your time, especially if you want to diversify your TBR.

Negative: There were two stories I didn't like, but that's ok. I think its just me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Take Us To Your Chief And Other Stories
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Stories for Chip: A Tribute to Samuel R. Delany
  • Transcendent 2: The Year's Best Transgender Speculative Fiction 2016
Hope Nicholson is the owner of Winnipeg-based publishing Bedside Press. She's an ardent comics fan passionate about bringing new stories to light, and author of the book "The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen" which shines light on characters forgotten by comics history.
“Not all stories need to be shared, because the act of sharing makes them vulnerable to change and exploitation.” 1 likes