Start by marking “Hurry Up Nurse!: Memoirs of nurse training in the 1970'” as Want to Read:
Hurry Up Nurse!: Memoirs of nurse training in the 1970'

Hurry Up Nurse!: Memoirs of nurse training in the 1970'

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  377 ratings  ·  40 reviews
'You can feel the love and compassion coming out of each page. The subjects are interesting made better by not too much medical jargon, but enough to keep it interesting.'

Rating: 5.0 stars from Amazon Customer Reviews

Hurry up Nurse is a nurse memoir that follows the ups and downs of a trainee nurse in the 1970's. Written with humour and candour, it follows the expe
Published August 17th 2016 by Dawn Brookes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hurry Up Nurse!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry Up Nurse!

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Hurry Up Nurse!: Memoirs of nurse training in the 1970'
Sandra Jackson
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoire
Author, Dawn Brookes, leads the reader through her personal journey as she trains to become a nurse in England during the late 1970s to early 1980s.

I usually read fiction; however, I thought I would try something different. And since this book is about becoming a nurse and I am not a nurse nor ever trained to be one, I thought what could be more different than that?

This is a good read with some funny and some not-so-funny times. It was interesting to learn about a nurse t
Nico Genes
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read that will most probably make me go for the sequel too.

Although this is a memoir it is written in a conversational style that made it easy to read. I found the writing style of the author relaxing and to this the humor at times surely helped. We are presented with the life of a nurse in the 1970’s. I applaud the author’s honestly saying that she didn't feel the call when she first enrolled in the training for becoming a nurse but she surely find it later. I also applaud her integrit
Clayton Graham
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carry On ‘Hurry Up Nurse!'
The nursing profession in the UK Midlands in the 1970s, and an everyday working girl finding her feet in the NHS. This was a neat potted history of 20th century nursing in England and one I can relate to as I spent my early and university years in Manchester around this time. Horlicks and real Spaghetti Bolognaise! Remaining friends with some patients was a nice contrast to today’s scenario where I feel that may be frowned upon. Rather innocent ways in those days! Anyo
Danielle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy, entertaining read, with generosity given to the author because she's writing to share her experiences, not to wow the reader with her literary prose. It's clear, understandable, and mostly enjoyable. She stays (mostly) on task sharing her experiences as a nurse trainee in various posts in England. I'm not into the medical world at all, but I found her anecdotes interesting and sincere. She did a good job of blending the tedious, shocking, humorous, and heart-warming experiences that mad ...more
Anne Crow
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read it because she trained at Charles Freers a blast from the past - I still remember the bunnies on the lawns
Melanie Lewis
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-books
How fascinating nurse training in the 1970s was. I wonder what our current nurses-in-training would think. Of course, the job remains vocational in the extreme and that hasn't changed. But new medicines, hospital born diseases, health and safety legislation must make it a very different prospect today. I have undying admiration for anyone who goes into a caring profession and Ms Brookes account only reinforces how wonderful our nurses are - absolute angels. Having not long ago listened to anothe ...more
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved both of these books, the story is true to the situation thats being recreated within the pages. Having spent years working in care and a family if people working within nursing, we often talk about how things have changed and how they need to continue changing, but also about our own experiences.

It was wonderful to read books that took these situations and looked at them in an honest and often humorous way, we sat reading and giggling, and chattering about our own
Jite
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay.

Unlike many people who would choose to read a memoir like this, I’m not a nurse nor am I in any way related to the profession, other than having been multiple times a recipient of nursing care. I chose this book because of my deep love for Betty Neels romance novels, many of which are set in this era of nursing, with nurses or student nurses or early career nurses as the protagonists. A lot of this reads like a Betty Neels novel except grittier and without the mooning over the brooding
Nicole O'Connor
Suitability of book cover: Suitable and fitting for the story content.
The content type is based on personal experience and thoughtful memoirs that are retold in an easy reading narrator’s voice but with little direct speech.
The language used is clean and wholesome.
The level of violence is minimal if any, but this collection includes some sad stories.
Readability is fairly easy.
The length is moderate.
The setting is accurate and believable in accordance with life and nursing studies
Jenny
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this nursing memoir by Dawn Brookes, it follows Dawn and her fellow students and colleagues as she begins life as a trainee nurse in the 1970’s and early 1980’s. The blurb says, “It is written with humour and candour but also a great deal of compassion”, and indeed it is.
As a nurse myself I found myself reminiscing about my own nurse training and although I began my training in 2000, it seems that not a lot has really changed! I remember fondly as Dawn does practising giving
Talia
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

As a fairly new, younger nurse, having just recently (in the last 5 years) finished my schooling and began working, it’s incredible to read how different the nurses training was prior to now. Some things have changed for the better, others not so much. I do appreciate that greater care is taken to protect against disease, and having ‘fancy equipment’ is nice, but just from reading this it seems new nurses were so much more prepared for work life after school then than now. I have a grea
Tracie Barton-Barrett
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Brookes' book entitled HURRY UP NURSE! was quite an interesting read, taking you along for her ride as she begins school, through her time in various wards. Her stories were fascinating, ranging from the various sisters and nurses with whom she worked to the always interesting and inspiring patients. Although I'm younger than the author and hail from the States, Ms. Brookes did a wonderful job of placing us in the different scenes and her compassion and love for the professional is quite evi ...more
Lin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My father was a nurse, and my mother a nursing auxiliary, and I've never really had more than a vague knowledge of what they actually did for a living! So I found this book fascinating as an insight to nurse training and work on the wards.
The pace is gentle, more like a series of stories from a friend or relative. Many of the stories are touching in one way or another, and the love of the author for her job shines through.
The narrative did jump around a bit, but that was part of the
Asimah Akhtar
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a regular user of the NHS due to chronic illness, memoirs about the NHS always interest me. I have previously read memoirs from the point of view of doctors, so this was the first I read by a nurse.

An interesting read about the life of a nurse during the 1970s. Dawn Brookes takes us through her life at the time she was training, full of anecdotes and all sorts of differences from nursing today. Great read.
Ursula
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot is packed into these pages; coming of age, finding a vocation, fun and friendship, hard work, compassion and difficult tasks. Once I got used to the very episodic style I found it similar to getting to know a new friend over a series of coffee breaks.

I'm not involved in nursing but found it very interesting so I imagine the ex-nurses I recommend it to will find it brings back all sorts of memories and anecdotes of their own.
Hazel G Hammond
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Trained as RGN in 1962-1963
This book was exactly as I remember it ---it brought back so many memories good and bad
Enrolled nurses were wonderful they did most of the basic nursing care and as they were assigned to a ward permanently were a great help to student nurses quivering in their shoes or not they could make life hell
Wonderful book great read
Sue
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, a great insight into nurse training in the 1970's. I too was a teenager in the 70's so can relate to a lot of what Dawn said. I also liked the fact that she stuck mainly to the nursing side of things rather then her social life as after all that is the theme of the book. Thank you Dawn for a trip down memory lane.
Simon Leonard
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Dawn's I have read and it is a brilliant laugh out loud book. The book follows Dawn from when she started interviewing to be a nurse all through the 70s as she is learning about nursing. It is a brilliant book which is very funny and sad in equal measures, it also shows how hard nursing was and how far it has come in 50 years.
Pamela
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not a nurse, although I did want to be one many years ago, so I thought this book would be an interesting read, and it was. It is a memoir, something I dont usually read, but I enjoyed it. It was well written and had a great sense of humor to it. I enjoyed it alot, and it enlighten my eyes to what nurses go through. A great book .
jacqui turnbull
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

A fabulous book and the only memoir I have ever read that mentions pyloric stenosis, fabulously written and made me both laugh and cry at times, I can’t wait to read the second book
John Greenwood
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Dawn for this Goodreads Giveaway.

I have rally enjoyed this peek into nurse training, finding aspects of the culture and conditions absolutely fascinating.

The way in which the stories were told felt like chatting with an old friend, who really enjoys sharing her experiences.
Susan Angela Wallace
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nurse book 1 by Dawn Brooke's.
This was a brilliant read. We see dawn go through her nurse training. It must have been hard back then. I love Dawn's books. I have read a few. Very funny in places too. A brilliant read. 5*.
Sharon
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was going to go into nursing when I left school many years ago so I found this really interesting. Took me back to the 70s & 80s. Anyone involved in nursing will relate to this book & will bring back lots of memories of their training days.
Chris Tunnicliffe
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book follows Dawn as she begins her training to be a nurse in the 1970's. At times amusing, at others emotional it shows what it takes to become a nurse. This book also tells how things have changed over the years. This also shows the changes in Dawn herself as she becomes an adult.
Paul Hyman
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

What a great read, I have worked in a couple of hospitals myself. And this book brought many things back to me.hope to find if theres a follow up
Sara Fischer
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read. I’m a nurse, so i wish it would have included more medical details, more patient histories. The story she tells of her time in school is interesting still.
Suzanne E. Chisum
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Good

Enjoyed reading about nursing trading in England. Very readable. Was surprised that nurses could not do iv lines. Good read.
Susan E Nordstrom
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nursing

Nurses are the best. This book brought back memories of my training to become an RN and it truly is a rewarding profession!
Lyn
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Delightful

Nice to read about the differences in nurses training in England v US for same time period-my experiences v authors
Jilly
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is an actual memoir written by a girl who began her nurse training in the late seventies. I found it quite interesting. The difference between the way things were back then and the way they are now is astounding. I think things were better then. Well to a certain extent anyway. Some things have improved over the lat 40 years but we can also learn lessons from the way things were done back then.

• Drops of Reality: Tales from a doctor's surgery
  • Practice Makes Perfect (Edward Vernon's Practice series Book 1)
  • Well, Doc, It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time!: The Unexpected Adventures of a Trauma Surgeon
  • Practise What You Preach (Edward Vernon's Practice series Book 2)
  • Doctor in the House (Doctor, Doctor! Book 2)
  • Getting into Practice (Edward Vernon's Practice series Book 3)
  • My Best Friend is Ativan: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Call It
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 14: Bilbury Days
  • Nursing is My Cardio: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 2: Bilbury Grange
  • Going to Hell in a Handbasket (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 11)
  • In Stitches
  • ER Stories From The Inside: 2nd Edition
  • Fu#@ing Seriously?: Real Stories from a Small-Town ER
  • Cruise Ship S.O.S.: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Doctor at Sea
  • Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 13: Bilbury Tales
Dawn Brookes is a cosy mystery author who also writes memoirs and children's books.

Dawn is shortly releasing a fourth book in the Rachel Prince Mystery series, 'Dying to Cruise' set during a cruise around Australia and New Zealand. Others in the series include:

#1 A Cruise to Murder set during a Mediterranean cruise