Start by marking “Art of the Western World: From Ancient Greece to Post Modernism” as Want to Read:
Art of the Western World: From Ancient Greece to Post Modernism

Art of the Western World: From Ancient Greece to Post Modernism

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In this magnificently illustrated and comprehensive book, readers will take one of the most beautiful journeys our world has to offer: an exploration of the greatest are and architecture of Western civilization. Art of the Western World -- the companion volume to the nine-part PBS television series -- traces the history of Western art from its classical roots in ancient Gr ...more
Published December 15th 1991 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Art of the Western World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of the Western World

John Nelson
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another book that sat on my shelves for years before I got to it. The material is compelling. However, in his quest to cover a little bit of everything, the author doesn't cover anything very well. Also, many of the photographs are in black and white - a major shortcoming for an art book. All in all, reading this book is a worthwhile endeavor because of the subject matter, but Janson's History of Art provides a far better overview of the subject.
Prima Seadiva
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually read this book years ago around the date of publication, 1989,when it was offered as a freebie in the Paperback Book of the Month club-remember them? I never did see the PBS series.
I'm thinning out my library so after re-perusing, off to the little free library it goes.
It pretty much deals with the most well known pieces by the most well known artists. My 1989 edition is a bit out of date as contemporary art goes but it does offer a decent starting point for the history of Western art
Anne M
Nov 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
The title sounds like a text book for your standard Art History introductory survey course. It is a much better read than that. The author explores art throughout history in context - it is therefore a history from not just an art perspective but from a geography/anthropology perspective as well. Also, the author does a great job developing the reader's experience of art generally and of particular works specifically. A great read to enhance the art experience for the nonartist reader (like me).
Yousef
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great overview of western art and how it's changed over time. Just the right length for someone who doesn't expect to become an expert, but wants to understand the form western art has taken over time. Plus, it has pretty pictures!
Richard
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'e read a number of art histories but I'm finding that this author has really helped me feel things in the art that I did not feel before. It could be because it is meant to be approachable by the non-professional but it could also just be because what he says is really there in the art.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: art
None
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This was my first art book. I bought it on a whim at 16 and went on to read it almost straight through. In the process, I fell hopelessly in love with art history.
°ºCindy  Looº°