Start by marking “Always the One” as Want to Read:
Always the One

Always the One

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Friendships are defined as a bond between two people, a building of a strong connection and like for one another. Usually excluding romantic or sexual feelings. Now what occurs when the typical doesn’t happen and friendship turns to love?

Trey Adams spends his days working with music and pining over his longtime best friend, Shayla Donovan. The only thing holding him back i
Paperback
Published August 25th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Always the One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always the One

Malene_D *BadAndDirtyBooks*
CC. Monroe nailed her debut book. This was a fabulous contemporary romance. The plot wasn't anything new or original but the characters made me enjoy this story. They were the heart and soul. There wasn't one character I didn't like, well of course douche bag Evan but for obvious reasons. Also Trey and Shayla's mothers but enough about them. This story was all about the sexy and insecure Trey and his best friend Shayla, her brother Kingston and her best friend Lana.

I really enjoyed these four pe
Brianna
**4.5 stars

This was a cute friends to lovers book. I loved Trey, he was such a sweetheart. Kings too, I hope he gets a book. I'm nervous to see where this goes next.
April Symes
This is the debut novel from CC Monroe and what a debut novel it is. The story is about Trey and Shayla, two friends who were best friends since they were children and now they are in their early twenties we see them trying to fight the attraction they feel for each other.
Trey is this alpha male, which I love in a character. And he has this past that makes him hard to open up his heart to love , even with his best friend, Shayla. Trey goes thru women like they are candy yet when it comes to Sha
Jennifer Pierson
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shayla Donovan has been in love with her brothers' best friend for thirteen years, without ever telling him. She knows all about the demons he fights, and she really wants to teach him the meaning of true love, but she has to swallow her fear first. Trey Adams has grown up believing that love only hurts and leaves you, so he's made sure to only do hookups. However, he's had a thing for Shayla for a while, but his demons keep him convinced he will only screw things up, and then he would lose her ...more
Paula D
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shayla just graduated high school and about to move to Settle with her best friend Lana her brother and Trey her brother's best friend who she has had a crush on for years. Lana tells Shayla she needs to tell Trey how she feels but she knows Trey doesn't do love or relationships because of his mother. What happens though when one day Trey has grown up and omits his feelings he feels towards Shayla? Will Shayla be able to handle Trey being the alpha male that he is? Will Trey finally find the voi ...more
Reckless Readers
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a phenomenal friends to lovers story! I will forever love these kinds of stories and this book just made me so happy. Everything about this book was so well done. The writing, the amazing characters, the story, the subject, the emotions it pulled from me, everything! It was all perfect! I can't recommend this book enough, read this now you will not be disappointed.
Carmen lawter
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!

So good! Always the one had a little of everything I love in my books...Trey is a total alpha & Shayla is full of sassy. So she give it right back when he was being the big alpha that I love. I love the friendship that they have in each other and in King & Lana. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR MY KINGS BOOK!
rene bazzar
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the relationships between the characters, very well written and very believable, story line is heartfelt, loving, very funny in parts, this is a must read. It is a great book to take on a trip will make the travel time bearable. Very excited for more.
Camille
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel from CC Monroe is the beginning of an amazing career. I love friends-to-lovers stories, and this is a definite winner. Trey is the perfect alpha to Shayla, but Shay still has some sass and knows how to use it. Well done, CC! I can't wit for more!!!!
Misty Sulouff
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love was always there

I really enjoyed this book. Shayla and Trey both have not always had it easy growing up. Trey's mom totally walked out of his life and Shayla's mom has been in and out of hers. Shayla and Trey have been best friends for a long time and have always loved each other. But should they go to the next step? What if it ruins their friendship? They are a couple who a truly made for each other. Relationships aren't always easy, but if you don't give up, it can be magical. I fell in l
Shannon Youngblood
**5+ Stars***
 photo 5 Buttons.jpg_zpshyhsjgb0.jpg

Oh CC. Oh my darlin' CC. How could I NOT love this friends to lovers story. It's passionate, well written, steamy and suspenseful all at the same time! This is my first book by CC Monroe, and after the ending of this one, it DEFINITELY will not be my last!!

Shayla is a sweet, shy, but strong willed woman.....who is head over heels for her best friend, (who also happens to be her big brothers best friend) Trey--The best friend-- is head over heels for Shayla. For so long EVERYONE h
booksofallkinds
Shayla Donovan is living her dream in Seattle, with her favourite people in the world. Co-owning her store, CC Chic Boutique, with her best friend Lana means the world to her, and with an investor interested in their plans, their business is about to take off. And with her brother Kingston and his best friend Trey living upstairs from them, things are almost perfect. Almost. The only thing missing from her life is love, and there is only one person Shayla wants and that's Trey. But Trey has alwa ...more
Katie
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on behalf of 2 girls who love books blog.

Always the One is the debut novel from C.C. Monroe and what a debut it is! This is definitely an author to watch out for!!

I seem to find that books that feature an alpha male follow a similar pattern, he likes the girl, she has issues, he sweeps her off her feet and away from any danger but this book is different! In fact its refreshingly different.

The story is about Trey and Shayla, best friends since they were children and now in their twenti
Chantal  (iScream Books)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
C.C. is going out there with her first book as an author and I believe she has a hit on her hands! She really knew how to build up and show feelings through her words. This book is a best friends become lovers story.

Shayla at the beginning of the book had just graduated high school and was ready to start her future. That included moving to Seattle with her best friend Lana, whom she started her business with. Now her business is thriving and doing better than they thought. She has harbored a se
Stacy Hahn
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel by CC Monroe made me a fan for life. I love friends to lovers romances and she absolutely nailed this one!

This book is about the love that has formed over the years between best friends and the struggles that they each face when they take their relationship to the next level. Those insecurities and pains that weighs on one's heart doesn't have the same effect when you are "just friends" but when love is involved it takes it to a whole new level. For Trey that pain lies in his fe
Reading Momma
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Always the One by CC Monroe was a fantastic debut! I one-clicked this simply on the cover alone, but I got so much more from it. It was unique and full of angst, hilarity and hotness! This story was one of a kind. Going in I expected the normal swoony romance story where the characters skirt around their feelings for each other until the end. But not this one, no Monroe dove right in with this friends to lovers story. Then you get the ups, downs, ends and outs of a relationship. She shared the ...more
Mel
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bitch!!!! <3

This is the debut novel for author CC Monroe & it's a doozy

Best friends to lovers don't always work, but in this case it was brilliant.

Absolutely loved the mix of their pasts being intertwined with their current journey. It was done in a sweet and unforced manner. A dream, a memory and a smile.

The storyline was sweet, edgy, funny and at times suspenseful. It was a great journey, although not always a smooth one. It was a journey you wanted to be on and wanted to see through
Charley Moore
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review of Always the One

After a couple of dark reads this book was just what I needed.

It's not without its darkness or heartache but it also has laugh out loud moments and a good storyline.

Best friends embarking on a new start in life.
Their lives so intertwined it's a shock and struggle to start with and understanding where each other is coming from............ Without letting any secrets out il say that I will be requesting to review book 2 and that book 1 leaves you with tears in your eyes a
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I want the next one now!!!!

4.5/ 5 stars

I really loved this book (the only reason it's not 5 stars is because it ends in a CLIFFHANGER:()!
The characters were hilarious and lovable. I totally want a brother like Kingston!!!
The story is well written and has (for me) the perfect amount of ups and downs. I like that for the most part Shayla & Trey can figure out their shit, but that they still have to have real conversations to work it out.
For real though.....why the cliffhanger???
Isha Coleman
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
There are different phases to every relationship. How can a simple four letter word cause misunderstanding and hurt? Always the One gets down in the trenches and delivers what LOVE really means. It's not always sunshine and waterfalls. Love is about looking beyond the exterior and getting to know all pieces even the dark and hurtful ones. I applaud Ms. Monroe for her gritty and at times toxic portrayal of all angles of the emotion. Trey and Shayla gave a collision course of wisdom on the matter.
Jamie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best Friends always there for each other. Their feeling have moved pass loving each other as friends, but can they take their relationship to the next level as lovers and not ruin what they have shared for years. They each bring baggage in to this new relationship, will Trey's trust and jealousy issues tear them apart. Will Shayla and Trey stand strong together even when it's threatened by another person trying to take what isn't theirs. Can these Soul Mates find they Happy Ever After. I have to ...more
Danielle Robbins
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing friend's to lovers romance, which is one of my favorite genres! This has definitely made the list!

Trey is such an alpha and so sexy! I loved how much he loved Shayla and how possessive he was! I just loved them together!

Shayla is so sassy and I loved her! I loved her friendship with Lana. I also loved her relationship with her brother Kingston!

I can't wait to read more about them and hopefully a book about Kingston and Lana!
Sheree
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robyn Osborne
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nikki
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet and great story! Love Shayla and Trey! Love seeing the chemistry and love between these two. So glad I found this author, she is so sweet! Can't wait to read her books on the future!
Nancynshannon Underwood
Fall in love with Shayla!!!

Such a great read!! CC has written a love story to fall head over hills for!! Grab it and go on Shayla's journey to find love!!!
Lucy Berson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I have read by this author and all I can say is WOW!!!! I fell in love with Trey and Shayla from the beginning!!! They have loved each other since they were kids but in adulthood finally gave into that live. Can best friends become best loves? Take a chance on this book and you will not be disappointed!!!! I can not wait to dive into book 2, to see what comes of Trey and Shayla and also Kings and Lana!!!!!
Kellyann
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a fantastic story

All the flight feels in all the flight places. Sexy, romantic, and heart wrenching. Great plot! Love the characters. Hated Evan. Sad ending. Can't wait to read on. This story is amazing. It just grabs you from the start and keeps you drawn to the pages throughout the book. Time for book 2
Erica
Always the One is CC Monroe's debut novel. It's well written and kept me engaged until the very last paragraph. The characters are realistic and lovable, I could easily connect with them.
I love a new author that completely blows me away with their writing, and that is what happened here.

Trey & Shay's story begins in childhood, he's her brothers friend but soon becomes her best friend and often savior. If something goes wrong in her life, if someone upsets her, Trey is there.
As Shay and her b
Jenny
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Alert Some Spoilers*

I received an ARC copy of this book direct from the author for an honest review.
Firstly let me start by saying this is a debut author and OMG the book is totally amazing. It is a book that I felt an emotional connection to with the two main characters mother's being absent from their lives and generally not feeling loved by them, Trey's mother especially having a knock on effect that nobody should have to feel.

The book is based around a close knit group of family some by bl
« previous 1 3 next »