Start by marking “Mind Writer” as Want to Read:
Mind Writer

Mind Writer

Born with a rare genetic mutation, Eighteen-year-old Rinee Newburgh has been kept in a secret government facility all her life. Trained to enhance her skills as a Mind Writer, her unique talents give her the ability to transfer a person’s thoughts, memories, personality—their soul—into a clone created for those deemed vital to society’s continued survival.

When Rinee’s fri
Kindle Edition
Published August 13th 2016 by Elk Lake Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Mind Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Writer

Start your review of Mind Writer
Cynthia
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this novel (3 stars here, 4 on Amazon), so I rate it 3.5 stars. The style and technical aspects of the writing are good, especially considering how hard it must be to co-author a novel and edit it. I would like to have seen more of a feminine touch given to the story, but I'm female. I've read some of Ms. Godfrees' other work and loved it, so I expected to see more of her influence in this book, although I recognized a good bit. One thing about the plot—lots of chasing/pursuing—became ti ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
5 Thoughts on Mind Writer (originally posted on my book blog here)

1. I don’t usually read sci-fi, thrillers, futuristic novels, or dystopia—and this is all of those in one! So I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. :) I do make exceptions in my usual reading genres to try different things sometimes, though, and when I was given a copy of this book and thought the premise sounded intriguing, I decided to dive in. I’m glad I did!

2. Mind Writer is a thrilling, engaging read, very well written an
Peter  Younghusband
This is the first novel I have read by Lynch and Godfrees and I am glad I have done so. I have seen Lynch's books around Amazon and have another of his in my kindle but not read. It was this new novel that encouraged  me to read from this author. This is the first of anything I have read of Lisa Godfrees.

I love this novel. Lynch and Godfrees write well and seem to be compliment each other in writing and developing this futuristic, science fiction, dystopian, medical based story. In a novel such
Kathrese
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much, as dystopian novels go. The concept of transferring a mind from one body to another was fresh and original, especially the idea that some parts of the person's memories and thoughts would rub off on the person doing the transfer.

Rinee, a Mind Writer, gets to know her patients a bit too well, and she pays a high price every time she uses her unusual talent. State secrets present a moral dilemma for her and place her life in peril.

I liked the main characters and man
C.J. Darlington
This book was a surprise sleeper for me. I'd never heard of it before, but as I've said in other reviews, the way I can tell a good book is if the first chapter grabs me and pulls me in. Mind Writer did just that, and I kept reading all the way to the end. The authors have crafted an imaginative tale about a group of people genetically able to transfer souls into cloned bodies of the dying or injured. Seems like a concept that wouldn't fit into a CF novel, but it actually does. And well. The wor ...more
Linda Yezak
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sci-Fi technology, political intrigue, supernatural abilities, and a tiny touch of romance all entwine to make this dystopian a super read. Malotetnev has a diabolical scheme to usurp the president and take over the country--using innocent Rinee, a mind writer, to do it.

But she teams up with an assassin and a small team of worshipers in what seems to be a hopeless attempt to thwart his plans. All the power, all the resources are in Malotetnev's hands. How on earth can this rag-tag group stop hi
Gretchen
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
An Intriguing Premise

Great debut for Ms. Godfrees! I liked the premise of someone with a genetic condition who could transfer souls. Rinee is a smart heroine, and Clixon has a great story arc. I enjoyed the villain's POV too. The secondary characters were strong as well, which doesn't always happen. I would have liked a bit more background into the world although there are enough hints, I wasn't lost.
It was a quick read with good pacing. I'd recommend this to science fiction fans, especially tho
Terry Conrad
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. Mind writers that transfer souls into clones. As they do the transfer the memories of that person stay with the mind writer. This creates a great original read. The characters were well developed but there were so many at times I was a bit confused for a couple minutes. Overall a good read.
Gábor László Hajba
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge by the cover

This is a great fantasy book with a terrible cover. Because of that the book deserves a 4.5 in reality.

Good story line, good twists. Maybe at the end, some more twists could have been fit in but it was OK.
SparksofEmber
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was privileged several years ago to be a beta-reader for Mind Writer by Mike Lynch & Lisa Godfrees. There were times when I was beta-reading that I’d get so completely sucked into the story I’d forget to pay attention for feedback purposes. So I was thrilled when it got picked up for publication and I’m happy to report the completed novel is even better than the earlier version!

Mind Writer is mostly a story about the unique alliance between a young lady who knows too much and the man sent to c
Anne Campbell
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not my usual cup of tea (not usually a fan of fantasy), but I have to admit this is a good one. Mike Lunch and Lisa Godfrees have made a good team. The tension is tight and keeps you reading. The next turn could take you ... well, anywhere you might not want to go.

Rinee Newburgh is a mindwriter, and not even she knows what that is until it comes her turn to perform a duty that only a mindwriter can do. She's supposed to go to a special place if she completes her task acceptably, but she finds ou
Caprice Hokstad
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A little better than merely okay: 2.8 or so. I did like the story. It had an interesting sci-fi premise (clones! immortality! mind-swapping!) and was very good at holding suspense. A little preaching, but very minimal IMO. A little on the dark side of dystopian, which was unexpected, but not so utterly depressing that it ruined it.

My biggest reading hurdle was the use of "alright". I understand this is coming into informal use more and more, but I agree with Dictionary.com : "Basically, it is no
Linda Sammaritan
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of mind/soul transfers is fascinating, which is why this book can grab your interest and hold it. I loved the characters and the action. However, late in the second half, I didn't clearly follow how or why Rinee was able to touch some people without a mind transfer, and with others, it was automatic. Maybe I was reading too fast--in a hurry to get to the next scene!
While romance is in the story, it's not a major part. Lynch and Godfrees do an excellent job making this an action-adventu
Shylock
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought the book was entertaining and fun to read. The rating would have been higher for me, but it went a little flat for my tastes. That doesn't mean the book isn't worth reading, but I would have liked a few more things. ...more
jennet wheatstonelllsl
Apr 09, 2020
Pete Burns
Jun 07, 2018

• Under the Water
  • Bearing Secrets (High House Ursa, #1)
  • Putting Up A Fight
  • Reed's Resolution (After Hurricane Nina, #1)
  • All the Little Lights
  • Winter's Guardian (Her Guardians, #1)
  • The Debriefing
  • Dragon Pact (Blood Dragon, #1)
  • Taking Flight
  • Selfie (Australian Heat, #2)
  • Maid For The Untamed Billionaire (Mills & Boon Modern) (Housekeeper Brides for Billionaires, Book 1)
  • Anonymous
  • Mate's Baby (Royal Dragon Curse, #1)
  • The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries, #1)
  • The Breed Next Door (Breeds, #5.5)
  • Bengal's Heart (Breeds, #14; Feline Breeds, #12)
  • The Tracker (Sam Callahan, #1)
  • Mars Reversal: Where Women Rule and Men Obey