Start by marking “Just One Touch (Slow Burn, #5)” as Want to Read:
Just One Touch (Slow Burn, #5)

Just One Touch

(Slow Burn #5)

#1 USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Maya Banks continues her suspenseful and sizzling Slow Burn series with the fifth book featuring the men and women of Devereaux Security Services.

Abducted as a young girl and raised in a strict religious cult, Jenna has no connection to the outside world beyond vague flashes of memory that seem to be from another life. Mem
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 352 pages
Published May 23rd 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Just One Touch, please sign up.
Brienna 5th book in the Slow Burn series came out on the 23rd of May 2017. Hopefully there's more to come :)
Saundra Jones Isaac was introduced along with Shadow in book 4, "With Every Breath", which by the way was excellent. If my memory serves me correctly, when Eliza…moreIsaac was introduced along with Shadow in book 4, "With Every Breath", which by the way was excellent. If my memory serves me correctly, when Eliza 1st met the new ones at a meeting, & she does describe each new member, her description of Isaac was tall, dark, handsome & black. And book 4 for me is a must read.(less)

Debbie DiFiore
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Too much too much

Okay I like alphas and I like men loving their women and being overly protective. I love that stuff actually but enough is enough. This was so very over the top at one point I just threw my hands in the air and yelled no more please. I love Maya banks and I was loving this story but it just became too much OTT sappiness and just took it too far. I am going to back and read it again later. Maybe I am just not feeling it today.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
Review posted on Got Fiction?

DNF

I have to stop reading her. I haven't like anything she's written since her Highlanders.
Someone remind me of that next time I pick up one of her Romantic Suspenses.

Full Review:

Why do I keep reading her books? Sigh. I haven't like anything of hers since her Highlanders. And even those were iffy to me.

Look, I love insta-love. I truly don't mind that trope (which I know is a huge problem for some people). But Ms. Banks takes it to the next level. In every single boo
Mrs. Perkins
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh.

Requires total suspension of disbelief. I mean, she's been living with a cult since she was four, but knows what a Goodwill store is?? Furthermore, the relationship just develops too quickly. It made me so uncomfortable for her to go from being"owned" by a cult and drug lord to being "owned" by Issac. Yuck. Lots of repetitive writing, as well. I skipped whole pages where the author just said the same thing over and over again.
ErinMickC
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This book was...problematic. In the beginning of the book, Jenna gets reintroduced into society after over 20 years of captivity by a cult (since she was four years old). Upon her escape from the cult, she finds herself stealing Isaac's car. Now Isaac is one bad-*ss alpha warrior, but these two almost immediately fall into instalove despite her thievery. The rest of the book revolves around Isaac trying to keep Jenna safe and Jenna trying to find a way to keep Isaac and the rest of the DSS crew ...more
Lyndi W.
Sep 06, 2017 marked it as d-n-f
I started reading this a few days ago and gave up. Tried again while I have a free hour and I'm giving up again.

The basic plot is interesting, but since chapter two it's been nothing but "Oh baby, I know we just met but you're my reason for breathing. I'll do anything to make you happy. I love you so much!" Just nonstop cheese and corn. It's fucking awful.

And Jenna is a mass of contradictions. She's weak, then she's stubbornly strong. She's ignorant and brainwashed, then she's a sassy sarcastic
Cynthia W
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
I'm sorry, I'm over the "Hello, nice to meet you - I LOVE you!!" trope. In the first couple of pages, this incredibly sheltered woman (who we find out later didn't know what a television was) managed to drive off in a truck with a manual transmission. Between that & the insta-love (occurring IN the 1st 10 PAGES!), I knew I was done with Ms. Banks. I struggled to finish this and am sorry I wasted my time doing so. Blech.
Meghan
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Disappointed

I love Maya Banks but this novel was terrible. I ignored all the other negative reviews and bought it anyways, i wish i didn't spend the money. It felt soo rushed and ridiculous i ended up just skimming the pages just to make it to the end.
Danna Hinton
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was my first Banks novel and my last Banks novel. I haphazardly purchased this at an airport prior to vacation. This was one of the worst books I have ever read. Plot was weak, no character development. Cursing on every other page. I finished it but I lost brain cells in the process.
Cheryl
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Him: I'll protect you. We'll protect you.
Her: You can't protect me. You'll be hurt.
Him: I'll protect you. We'll protect you.
Her: You can't protect me. You'll be hurt.
Him: I love you. I'll protect you. We'll protect you.
Her: I love you. You can't protect me. You'll be hurt.
Some hot intimacy.
Him: I love you. I'll protect you. We'll protect you.
Her: I love you. You can't protect me. You'll be hurt.
Some more implied intimacy and sexy talk.
Him: I love you I'll protect you. We'll protect you. Oh, and
Andrea
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
What happened? Did Maya Banks really write this? I was shocked at how fluffy this novel was, and not in a warm and fuzzy way but in a redundant this story could be told in 40 pages had it been edited way. Not to mention the number of time God was mentioned in the story (I counted 125... not counting the goddam which was used excessively as well). Just a dissapointment because I've loved Maya Banks early works and her latest works have not been the same quality.
LInda L
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible - I can't begin to enumerate the ways. The main characters managed to make me hate them pretty quickly -- Jenna was a crybaby and Isaac was stupid. I did not read any of Banks previous books and have no plans to. This one was MORE than enough. Really, one star is too much.
Kiley Kerr
Jun 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh my, what did I actually think? This book started off with a bang and I was immediately pulled into this world Maya Banks created. But then it kind of died off. With little character development and a lot of repetitive phrases, I began page skimming to simply finish the book. I was slightly creeped out by the epilogue as well.
Deb
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can't believe all the people who rated it high. This book is so bad and so far over the top. Jenna adjust to the real world far too easily. Isaac falls too fast for Jenna, and he doesn't even know her age, she could be a minor. Maya Banks has definitely written. Don't waste your time or money.
arabia
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
As is (unfortunately) becoming a long-established habit of Ms. Banks, Just One Touch had the hero falling deeply, madly, irrevocably in love with the heroine within a quarter of a second of being in her presence.

(view spoiler)
Becca
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series by Maya Banks is one of my favorites. It's just the right amount of suspense and paranormal to keep you riveted. And I devour the books as soon as they hit my eReader.

Jenna is on the run. She was raised in a cult, sheltered from the world around her. So when she makes a run to leave, you doesn't quite know what to expect from the outside world. She hold a special power, that she's been abused because of. She is quite naive, which plays up to her charm through the book and hooks our h
jenjn79
I've typically loved Maya Banks's books and I hate that I'm rating this one so poorly but I really did not like this book. At all.

Summary:
DSS agent Isaac Washington is shocked to find someone trying to steal his SUV and he's even more surprised when he confronts the person and finds its a scared, battered woman. Before he can adjust his thinking, all hell breaks loose and next thing he knows he's shot and dying. Then, to his shock, the mysterious woman places her hands on him and heals the mor
Cheri
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Issac's story and a very good one. Now I have to wait for Tori and Dane's story until next year :(
Ramblings From A Chaotic Mind
This is one of those books that I dread writing the review for because even after pondering I still don’t quite know how I feel. To read this book you need to suspend your beliefs, which sounds weird seeing as how I have it labeled both Romantic Suspense and Paranormal Romance right? Just go with me here. Of course when you read anything with paranormal elements you have to suspend belief. It’s impossible, it cannot happen. That’s not exactly what I am talking about in the case of Just One Touch ...more
Sharrice
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Despite my love of Maya Banks’ books, Just One Touch did not do it for me at all. I hated Isaac a whole lot pretty much from start to finish. I enjoyed Jenna and felt bad for her and the life she fell into. I felt like after all that control in her life she deserved happiness. Instead she got Isaac who was the world’s most dickish lead man yet. He was controlling, he yelled at Jenna a lot, he got upset and just raged most of the time, and he didn’t believe in the company he worked for after he f ...more
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
***ARC Provided via Edelweiss and Tasty Book Tours***

3.5 Stars

Jenna and Isaac have one heck of a first meeting. And, I think in a way this makes the insta-love work. I admit, I am not the biggest fan of the whole insta-love thing, and Jenna's history and complete lack of exposure to the world made me at times wonder if she would be able to function in an adult relationship. I am not 100% positive this was ever fully addressed, but at the same time, I am not sure I would want it to be, as that be
Astraycat
Although at first h's ability reminds me of Grace in Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5) , these two stories had little in common.

I always love romance with action, esp H was able to protect h from danger, but this story was just ok for me.

Although this story was supposed to make me feel bad for h… I didn't feel anything for h. Her past was sad, but she annoyed me more with she constantly told H and others how she didn't want to get them killed esp her foolish behavior to get herself into trouble. So H ha
Amanda S.
I really, really want to add this book to my favorite list. I really do.

But as much as I adore the plot and Maya Banks herself, I can't. Mostly because this book is a bit too much for me. I was hoping for a classic Maya Banks heartwrenching romance with vulnerable yet strong heroine and Alpha Hero. In this book, I didn't exactly get them; sure the Hero is Alpha but the heroine.. I just can't stand her. She's way too weak, clingy and needy even to my taste. Sure I love thick and over-exaggerated
Mary
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

As an avid fan of Maya Banks, I'm sad to say I was disappointed in this book. It had so much potential, to be so much more.

The insta-love plot devise didn't work for me in this book. Jenna was kidnapped as a child and held in a cult for the past twenty years and on her first/second day of freedom she meets Isaac with DSS security. Within hours - hours - Isaac is thinking of Jenna as his and within days professing his love.
Gina
Received a review copy from a 3rd party source (not goodreads).

DNF @ 30%.

And its a miracle I made it that far. The errors, plot holes, and inconsistencies just in the first 30% brought me to a point where there was no way I could finish it. It helped when I tried to think of it as a parody to a paranormal suspense romance book - like Scary Movie to the Scream series - but that could only get me so far. There are plenty of other DNF reviews that give details, so I'll just say don't. Just don't.
Quinn's Book Nook
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-romance
This just wasn't for me. Jenna was so inactive. And weepy. And the whole story was sappy.
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)

So, several weeks ago I read Brighter than the Sun by Maya Banks and was blown away. See, years ago, I had tried an Maya Banks book and it did not work for me. As it turns out, it was in the Slow Burn series. Given my new admiration for Banks, I decided to give Just One Touch a shot. My reading tastes have evolved since my first attempt at this series and I felt pretty good about giving this a shot.

My first step whenever I start a book is to head to good reads and mark the book as "Currently Re
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
Just One Touch by Maya Banks is the fifth book in the Slow Burn series. Even though characters from the earlier books features extensively in this instalment, it can be read as a stand-alone. It is a romantic suspense with a touch of paranormal. There were some exciting and suspenseful moments, which kept me glued to the pages.

Jenna Wilder grew up in a strict religious cult, with no access to the outside world. Kidnapped for her extraordinary healing powers, she was subjected to abuse, exploitat
Sheila Melo
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
"But the simple truth was that he needed her every bit as much as she needed him, and he couldn't come up with a reason that made any sense to him."

FINAL DECISION:  A good romantic suspense with a paranormal bent.  The weakest part of the story is the instant love between the main characters.  That being said, the two are a good match and the story is well paced and filled with twists.

THE STORY: Isaac Washington comes out to his car after getting coffee and bagels to find someone attempting to s
Kelly
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars

Just One Touch is the fifth book in the Slow Burn series by Maya Banks. I've tried really hard to like this series, but it just isn't my favourite from this author. I like the storylines revolving around all the female leads from each book having a special gift, and needing protection and falling very quickly for their protector, but the storylines really don't grab my attention or keep me enthralled.

In this book, Jenna has the gift of healing, she can save those that would otherwise
Goodreads Librari...: add book to serie 3 13 Sep 28, 2017 11:08AM

• Ghost Killer (Ghost Seer, #3)
  • Nauti Angel (Nauti, #9; Nauti Girls, #5)
  • Temporal Shift (Dark Desires #4)
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Guarding Sierra (Soldiering On #2)
  • I Spy a Naughty Game (Shado Agency, #2)
  • Fuel for Fire (Black Knights Inc., #10)
  • Hottest Mess (S.I.N., #2)
  • Pieces of Me
  • Stolen Series Box Set (Stolen, #1-3)
  • Before the Dawn (Killer Instinct, #2)
  • I Dream of Danger (Ghost Ops, #2)
  • You Are Mine (Nine Circles, #3)
  • Montana SEAL Undercover Daddy (Brotherhood Protectors Book 9)
  • Immortal Hunter (Execution Underground, #2)
  • Midnight Falls (Children of the Goddess, #4)
  • Discover Love (Saints Protection & Investigations, #9)
  • Gale Season (Storm Lords #3)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.

Slow Burn (6 books)
  • Keep Me Safe (Slow Burn #1)
  • In His Keeping (Slow Burn, #2)
  • Safe at Last (Slow Burn, #3)
  • With Every Breath (Slow Burn, #4)
  • His Only Weakness (Slow Burn, #6)